A holiday by any other name....

syw1759
User is offlineOffline
A holiday by any other name....

Okay, Easter is coming.  Maybe we should all just practice the ancient fertility rite and have more sex.  However, not really the topic.  Do any of you think that "holidays" are culturally inclusive and therefore pull humanity further apart?  Holiday's celebrated in one country seem to ignore, threaten, persecute, and annoy people/cultures in another country.  Granted areas of the world share holiday's, but regional differences create misunderstandings that magnify a problematic issue.  We can talk examples, but think about some well knowen holiday's ( does not have to be religious in its origin)

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Holidays in general are ok

Holidays in general are ok for me as long as I benefit from them. If other people have holidays I don't mind as long as they don't interfere with my life.

This entire thing with the fox news/right wing/tea party shit is bogus. they think they are losing christmas. the war on christmas is bogus.

i think they are losing it to capitalism.

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Quote:i think they are

Quote:

Losing?  Already lost, man.  The crap they throw at us every year is just amping us up to buy more garbage we don't need at the time same reminding us how much of the true meanings of the holidays have died. 

I think holidays are a matter of perspective.  If you're in a place that you can't readily celebrate a holiday you're normally accustomed to, such as a solider during WWII, then it's just a day that you remember as being good or, in some cases, bad.  If your life continues to have no celebration of these holidays, then your mindset changes and they mean less and less to you until it's just a distant memory.  In other words, I guarantee that if most holidays weren't about physical possessions to attach a feeling to, then they would be nothing more than just marks on the calendar having no significance.  Just my thoughts.

tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
User is offlineOffline
I know many people who get

I know many people who get pissed off at Martin Luther King Jr.'s b-day being celebrate as a holiday.  Their main point is that all of our founding father's are grouped together for president's day and 1 man gets his own equal to all of them combined. Even if you set aside any racial viewpoints it still has some merit.  I live between Chicago and Springfield Illinois (birthplace of Abe Lincoln).  Many people here are very proud of Abe.  And when their kids get out of school and a big whoop-ti-doo is made over King on TV and Abe is practically ignored, people get a little uneasy. It doesn't help anti-racism any.

AS for the rest of the holidays, I'm a year round scrooge.  I haven't yet got to the point of boycotting christmas and easter with my family but I think it's gonna come to that.  They don't make it very religious except for a prayer before the meal, so I just go along with it cuz that's about the only time I get to see my deceased brother's kids anymore.  But they are all grown up now, so next year may be my first holiday-free year.  I'm not married and have no kids so it won't break my heart any.

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Holidays are just an

Holidays are just an excuse to celebrate. I think it is extremely amusing that capitalism has taken over all of the significant religious holidays, that for easter we see a bunch of bunny rabbits delivering chocolate eggs and jelly beans? Really, who the fuck came up with that idea? Well I guess it is more realistic than Jesus and no one over age 3 takes Peter Cottontail seriously. 

I've never really celebrated easter much myself. Even as a kid I wasn't particularly fond of sweets nor talented as an artist so most of the trappings of easter simply didn't appeal to me. This year I imagine I will simply be taming my lawn, it is looking a little jungleish out there.

As far as the OP, I don't think holidays necessarily pull people apart. While they do tend to be celebrated in cultural cliques I think that is simply a function of people being creatures of habit, but people "outside" of the culture are generally warmly welcomed into the celebration. This can be seen in various cultural holidays like St. Patrick's Day, Oktoberfest etc. that have there roots in certain cultures but are now widely celebrated outside of the original culture. And really, all holidays are essentially the same regardless of culture. The window dressing might change, but they are all essentially about hanging out with people you care about, eating a lot of food and often over drinking.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

Holidays are just an excuse to celebrate. I think it is extremely amusing that capitalism has taken over all of the significant religious holidays, that for easter we see a bunch of bunny rabbits delivering chocolate eggs and jelly beans? Really, who the fuck came up with that idea? Well I guess it is more realistic than Jesus and no one over age 3 takes Peter Cottontail seriously. 

Which is why the early christian leaders moved the jesus birthday to the celebration of winter. People where getting stone drunk for two weeks not giving two shits and a fart for poor jesus.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think everyone should be

I think everyone should be entitled to at least 100 days off a year. Weekends cover a big chunk of that, leaving approximately 48 holidays. You should be free to take these at your own desires, within reason and with notice. No more state or religion sponsored bullshit.
It should start in school, so children learn the ropes and values of scheduling, teamwork, and budgeting long before they truly need the skills.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I think

Vastet wrote:
I think everyone should be entitled to at least 100 days off a year. Weekends cover a big chunk of that, leaving approximately 48 holidays. You should be free to take these at your own desires, within reason and with notice. No more state or religion sponsored bullshit. It should start in school, so children learn the ropes and values of scheduling, teamwork, and budgeting long before they truly need the skills.

Now that would be cool. I'd vote for it.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Vastet

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Vastet wrote:
I think everyone should be entitled to at least 100 days off a year. Weekends cover a big chunk of that, leaving approximately 48 holidays. You should be free to take these at your own desires, within reason and with notice. No more state or religion sponsored bullshit. It should start in school, so children learn the ropes and values of scheduling, teamwork, and budgeting long before they truly need the skills.

Now that would be cool. I'd vote for it.

I think you need to check your math. The vast majority of jobs give more than 100 days off a year. 52 weekends X 2 days a weekend is 104 days off alone. Most full time jobs give at least a week paid vacation, many give 2-3 weeks after a few years of work so that is another 5-15 days. Plus most jobs allow a day or two off for each of the major holidays. Plus many offer some form of PTO or paid sick days. So most people already have 115+ days off a year. 

Unless of course you are on of those that works 6-7 days a week and don't take your vacation time, in which case it is very possible you will be one of those people who are "lucky" and find yourself in a position in the future where you only have to work 100 days a year. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Holidays in general are ok for me as long as I benefit from them. If other people have holidays I don't mind as long as they don't interfere with my life.

This entire thing with the fox news/right wing/tea party shit is bogus. they think they are losing christmas. the war on christmas is bogus.

I so agree.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:I think

Beyond Saving wrote:
I think you need to check your math. The vast majority of jobs give more than 100 days off a year.

You're right, I forgot to double the weekends. Revised to minimum of 150 days per year.

Most full time positions will NOT give you a vacation, they'll give you vacation pay in lieu. Which isn't a problem, but also has really nothing to do with my driving point that people should be free to choose their own vacation days, independent of state and religious influence.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Zaq
atheist
Zaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
Though it's a bit out of

Though it's a bit out of date by now, you guys might get a kick out of this.

http://silverskeptic.blogspot.com/2012/04/sweet-zombie-jesus.html

Questions for Theists:
http://silverskeptic.blogspot.com/2011/03/consistent-standards.html

I'm a bit of a lurker. Every now and then I will come out of my cave with a flurry of activity. Then the Ph.D. program calls and I must fall back to the shadows.