Brainwashing children/Jesus Camp

tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
Posts: 482
Joined: 2012-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Brainwashing children/Jesus Camp

This is child abuse.  What about the parents?  Should they be held responsible for sending their children to a place like this?  I still hold a bit of a grudge against my mother for exposing me to church and christianity.  It was nothing like this.  If it had been, I don't think I would be on speaking terms with her today. This would tramatize me for life I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LACyLTsH4ac      "jesus camp"  9 min

 

the rest of these are only a couple minutes long:

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBjQypW_cDo&feature=related     "preparing for demonic manifestations"

 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma7cA273fsM&feature=relmfu     "our kids are not forced"

 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBjQypW_cDo&feature=related    "the war on science"

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 3063
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
I won't watch. I'm afraid of

I won't watch. I'm afraid of having nightmares tonight.

 


Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
Posts: 362
Joined: 2009-12-16
User is offlineOffline
~~~~

Christianity is the longest running cult in history.  It shows how low the human intellect can sink.  I've seen clips of Jesus Camp on YouTube, and I might have seen the last 20 minutes of it on HBO -- I don't know if it was Jesus Camp or not, but I think it was. 

These people are nuts.  I was raised in churches like this, and it wasn't pretty.  Most kids who go through it don't care about truth and justice anyway, so they remain Christian.  Me on the other hand, I did care about truth and justice.  I was extremely inquisitive as a young boy, and had much more of an interest in my science books than in the church books.  My parents must have been new to Christianity before I was born; their antiscience feelings only deepened as they got older.  Looking back, I'm surprised I was even allowed to read science books.  I vaguely remember them saying something about evolution or Darwin, and to "be careful."  Something along those lines.

I remember being five years old reading some books about Bible stories with old men in robes holding sheep out in the desert, then picking up a fascinating book on astronomy with the planets and stars in them.  The Bible couldn't compete.  I read books about nature and bugs (for kids, they were mostly pictures with not too many words), I read books about dinosaurs and general science, I had a kid's chemistry set that I didn't know how to use but loved to mess around with.  My parents even bought me a telescope.  If it wasn't for that early interest in science, I might still be a Christian today -- maybe.  That's why Christians fight so hard against reality; they don't want to lose business and people to control.


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 3063
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Philosophicus

Philosophicus wrote:

Christianity is the longest running cult in history.  It shows how low the human intellect can sink.  I've seen clips of Jesus Camp on YouTube, and I might have

Hmmm well... there are older cults than christianity.

Free will is an illusion. People always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

-Scott Adams


Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
Posts: 362
Joined: 2009-12-16
User is offlineOffline
~~~~

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Philosophicus wrote:

Christianity is the longest running cult in history.  It shows how low the human intellect can sink.  I've seen clips of Jesus Camp on YouTube, and I might have

Hmmm well... there are older cults than christianity.

Translation: Christianity is the most dominant and largest cult in human history. 


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 3063
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Philosophicus

Philosophicus wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Philosophicus wrote:

Christianity is the longest running cult in history.  It shows how low the human intellect can sink.  I've seen clips of Jesus Camp on YouTube, and I might have

Hmmm well... there are older cults than christianity.

Translation: Christianity is the most dominant and largest cult in human history. 

thanks for clarifying... "longest running" and "most dominant" is quite a difference. I'm not sure about the largest though. I don't believe that all the people who claim to be christian are christian.

Free will is an illusion. People always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

-Scott Adams


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10610
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
You skate perilously close

You skate perilously close to the No True Scotsman fallacy. All one really needs to do to be a christian is embrace ANY part of the christian mythos, and identify themselves as christian. That's all it took to diversify the cult into thousands of identifiable denominations, and millions of unidentifiable denominations.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
Posts: 482
Joined: 2012-02-14
User is offlineOffline
I'm with Vas on this one. 

I'm with Vas on this one.  The Jeans of the world would have me believe that I was never truly a christian. Absurd scriptural (il)logic of " those who have left us were not of us". 

And one who does not whole-heartedly believe in the end sum of the lies he perpetuates, does not disqualify him from the "Lies and fantasies Club".  It should make him an honorary member ushered to the front of the line to the pearly gates.

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 3063
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:You skate

Vastet wrote:
You skate perilously close to the No True Scotsman fallacy. All one really needs to do to be a christian is embrace ANY part of the christian mythos, and identify themselves as christian. That's all it took to diversify the cult into thousands of identifiable denominations, and millions of unidentifiable denominations.

I disagree. For the longest time I called myself catholic and didn't follow any aspect of their belief system. I was already a buddhist and didn't know it until I found out what buddhism was; then I stopped calling myself catholic.

I don't know what percentages of "me" are out there claiming to be christian and embrace absolutely NONE of their mythos, but I would like to think there are more out there than I think.

Let's start the bidding at 40%.

Free will is an illusion. People always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

-Scott Adams


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10610
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Just because you were wrong

Just because you were wrong doesn't change the fact that you are using a fallacious line of reasoning.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 3063
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Just because

Vastet wrote:
Just because you were wrong doesn't change the fact that you are using a fallacious line of reasoning.

Please clarify your position.

Free will is an illusion. People always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

-Scott Adams


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10610
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Give me time to figure out

Give me time to figure out how to say this.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.