Just a short introduction...I am a new member

RubyCat1980
atheist
RubyCat1980's picture
Posts: 14
Joined: 2012-04-04
User is offlineOffline
Just a short introduction...I am a new member

Hello all,

I am new to this site, I found it by accident in google search.

I was born and raised as a Christian, went to catholic school, and both sides of my family are very christian. My father is a baptist to boot. So it is safe to safe, I had been brain washed very young. In recent years, I had viewed myself as agnostic, because I wasn't really sure what I believed. But I have come to the conclusion that I do not believe in God, or religion in general. I now consider myself atheist. I still have a few questions, but who doesn't? But I definitely know that I do not believe in God. Of any sort.

So this is my introduction. I am very glad I found this site. Smiling


RubyCat1980
atheist
RubyCat1980's picture
Posts: 14
Joined: 2012-04-04
User is offlineOffline
typo...

Mean to say safe to say


tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
Posts: 482
Joined: 2012-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Ruby.  I am

Welcome Ruby.  I am relatively new here as well. There are many of us here who were victims of christianity and quite a few christians.  I think you will like it here. I've checked out many sites and most of them suck. You can definitely speak freely here. It won't take you long to figure out who's who.  Just click through the threads. It's been a little quiet recently but it gets pretty interesting around here.  You say you still have a few questions- well that's a great way to start a new thread. Many of the best threads begin that way and get many responses.

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 3267
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
RubyCat1980 wrote:Hello

RubyCat1980 wrote:

Hello all,

I am new to this site, I found it by accident in google search.

I was born and raised as a Christian, went to catholic school, and both sides of my family are very christian. My father is a baptist to boot. So it is safe to safe, I had been brain washed very young. In recent years, I had viewed myself as agnostic, because I wasn't really sure what I believed. But I have come to the conclusion that I do not believe in God, or religion in general. I now consider myself atheist. I still have a few questions, but who doesn't? But I definitely know that I do not believe in God. Of any sort.

So this is my introduction. I am very glad I found this site. Smiling

Hey... nice to have ya.

Just a word of warning. Up until tonight I had not really exploded on the retards on these forums. I finally told one of them to go fuck theirselves and some other nasty things. I'll most likely regret it in the morning, but right now it feels really good to let off some steam.

If you get really angry at them don't be afraid to express your true feelings. If you hold it in you might explode.

 

Free will is an illusion. People always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

-Scott Adams


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Ruby

 

 

former brain-washed evangelical protestant over here. I'm sure you'll find the arguments on the site instructive. My whole family are devoted jesus lovers and when I first found the site it was a huge relief to know there were other people in the world who were unable to accept assertions of the supernatural on the basis of violent threats that even as a child, tormented my subjective empathy meter to the point of destruction. A 'loving' god who tortures skeptics for thought crimes is a ludicrous concept. 

It took me until my mid-late 30s to seriously resist the dogma I had been fed from the age of 4 or 5. We are mostly agnostic atheists at RRS. We can't prove there's no god but see no evidence such a thing exists. Given the lack of proof of anything supernatural, it might be possible to argue all supernatural god concepts are impossible. Trouble is, the empirical method never rules anything out entirely. 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13760
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
RubyCat1980 wrote:Hello

RubyCat1980 wrote:

Hello all,

I am new to this site, I found it by accident in google search.

I was born and raised as a Christian, went to catholic school, and both sides of my family are very christian. My father is a baptist to boot. So it is safe to safe, I had been brain washed very young. In recent years, I had viewed myself as agnostic, because I wasn't really sure what I believed. But I have come to the conclusion that I do not believe in God, or religion in general. I now consider myself atheist. I still have a few questions, but who doesn't? But I definitely know that I do not believe in God. Of any sort.

So this is my introduction. I am very glad I found this site. Smiling

Oh great, anther person who uses their brain, just what the world needs.(Note to self: Did I think this, or type it)

What I meant to say is WELCOME, now pick up your heathen license, your recipe book for barbecue kitten, and be sure and record the NFL without their permission.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2404
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is onlineOnline
Welcome.

 

 

 

                         You said you were born and raised a christian, but you didn't say where. I'm in the greater Toronto area of Canada how about you?

 

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


luca
atheist
Posts: 400
Joined: 2011-02-21
User is offlineOffline
welcome 2 u

Many here say they are from the "bible belt", or from the "buckle of the bible belt", well I'm from the "boot of the vatican" Sticking out tongue

 


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
heya

I in Portland, OR.  I really am an old woman.  And I try to be intelligent at least every other Tuesday.  Nice to meet you.  Hang around, ask questions, and have some laughs.  Post often, nice to meet you.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


RubyCat1980
atheist
RubyCat1980's picture
Posts: 14
Joined: 2012-04-04
User is offlineOffline
I'm from Niagara Falls

I'm from Niagara Falls Canada, was born in Tennessee however. I was raised mainly catholic with a strictly baptist father.


RubyCat1980
atheist
RubyCat1980's picture
Posts: 14
Joined: 2012-04-04
User is offlineOffline
Thank you all for the warm

Thank you all for the warm welcome!


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2404
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is onlineOnline
RubyCat1980 wrote:I'm from

RubyCat1980 wrote:

I'm from Niagara Falls Canada, was born in Tennessee however. I was raised mainly catholic with a strictly baptist father.

 

 

                              I grew up in central  Maine, mostly catholic, when I got  tired of working for 2 bucks an hour I came to Toronto. Now how did  a redneck end up  in the honeymoon capital? 

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10688
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
A belated welcome! How is

A belated welcome!
How is Canada's Vegas these days? Been quite awhile since I was in Niagra. I imagine the falls didn't freeze this year.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.