Without a soul

tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
User is offlineOffline
Without a soul

I have a couple posts that involve the old issues of mercy killing and abortion.  The youtube suggestions brought me to the story of "Baby born without a brain". The sound sucks and it's not worth watching anyway. The condition is called

"anencephaly". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anencephaly   If you believe in a "soul" you surely would believe that it begins and ends in the brain.

The questions are for anyone. 

1. Why not abort?

2. If born this way, is it wrong to kill the baby?

3. Is the baby an "it" ?

4. Does it have any rights?

5. If you have a god, how would he judge it?

6. What's the difference in this baby or someone who becomes brain dead later in life?  Will they just be judged by their life up until that time? -and if so, what if they hadn't heard of your Jesus yet? Are they condemned to hell?

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia

truth
atheist
User is offlineOffline
4. It should have rights5.

4. It should have rights

5. If there was a god i think the baby would go to heaven just like if a normal baby were to die

6. Christians vary in opinions and beliefs.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
1. Because you are heartless

1. Because you are heartless monster that wants breathing lifelike doll? Or you are a heartless christnut that is willing to allow the infant to suffer horribly because your ancient book told you to. 

2. It would be wrong not to allow the baby to die. IMO, it is wrong to bring the baby to term unless some new treatment is available to attempt to cure the condition. But until we can grow brains bringing such a baby to term is pointless.

3. I can see how the argument could be made but I would still classify the baby as human.

4. To the limited extent that all children have rights. In such situations the child is the property of the parents and the choice of whether or not to provide excessive care is theirs or in special cases whoever else is appointed the legal guardian. 

5. If there was a god why can't the dumb fuck figure out how to properly make a brain? He has only been making brains for a few hundred billion years. 

6. The person who becomes brain dead has the opportunity to appoint someone their caregiver or provide a living will to determine how long they will be kept alive, whether they will be resuscitated and who is in charge of making the difficult decision of when to pull the plug. Their wishes should be followed, and if you don't have a living will, I strongly suggest you create one and make sure whoever you give power of attorney to understands your wishes. They are pretty simple forms and can be done cheaply. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:5. If there was a god

Quote:
5. If there was a god why can't the dumb fuck figure out how to properly make a brain? He has only been making brains for a few hundred billion years.

No no no no, 10,000 years tops. Depending on how well your bible abacus works.

And I know you were just being sarcastic, and yes it is funny, but the earth has only been around for 4 billion years and humans in our current evolution, our brains have only been evolving for the past 500,000 years. But yea, for a god to even take 500,000 years to only in the past 200 years make life better over all, well, if he did exist he is either inept or a fucking prick.

What dumb fuck would give eagles better eyesight and let bacteria and cockroaches outnumber humans. SINCE his claimants are claiming we are sooooooooooooo special.

It is times like this Beyond where as much as I want to hate you, this deserves a "FUCK YA!"

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Opie

Hello,

You haven't defined soul, so I have no idea what you mean by this. I am assuming your defiition is completely different then Scripture's definition.

And how is soul related to life? Can one have life without a soul? Help me out here.

And if we are all animals, so then is our soul exactly like the soul of animals? So Tony, would this also be applied to aborted puppies?

Please clarify your ambiguity.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:And I know you

Brian37 wrote:

And I know you were just being sarcastic, and yes it is funny, but the earth has only been around for 4 billion years and humans in our current evolution, our brains have only been evolving for the past 500,000 years. But yea, for a god to even take 500,000 years to only in the past 200 years make life better over all, well, if he did exist he is either inept or a fucking prick.

Yeah you're right, I meant to say a couple hundred million years- I was including all brains, including dinosaurs and any other early critters that had semi-complex brains. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jean Jean Jean

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hello,

You haven't defined soul, so I have no idea what you mean by this. I am assuming your defiition is completely different then Scripture's definition.

And how is soul related to life? Can one have life without a soul? Help me out here.

And if we are all animals, so then is our soul exactly like the soul of animals? So Tony, would this also be applied to aborted puppies?

Please clarify your ambiguity.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Where have you been Jean? I've been worried sick.

Well I'm sure you have 30 dif super bibles but I only have 2.

NIV = the spiritual part of a person; the part of a person that does not die

KJV= the life principle of a human being; the immortal element of a man; the spirit; the living individual

Gen 2:7 and man became a living soul

I'm sure you have your own unique twist Jean and I can't wait to hear it.

I guess what most christians would define as a soul, I would just call the presence of mind, a self-aware cognitive state of mind.

I guess what I mean is if we go by a biblical definition than I do not believe in a soul and in that respect we are just like animals. When the mind dies that's it-end of story.

If a child is born without a brain/mind, then how can it have a soul? and what value could a body of just flesh and bone and a heartbeat have in a spiritual or non-spiritual sense?

Have you ever seen Bad Santa? you're like that little boy always fucking with Billy Bob's head.  God damn it Jean are you fuckin' with me? lol

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia