Until 1924 Science thought the Milky Way Galaxy WAS THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE!

radioboyintj
Theist
Posts: 7
Joined: 2012-03-23
User is offlineOffline
Until 1924 Science thought the Milky Way Galaxy WAS THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE!

Until Edwin Hubble came along in 1924 it was the opinion of scientists that the milky way contained the entirety of the Universe.

 

This is significant because prior than that especially in past centuries with the exception of the great scientists such as Isaac Newton and Copernicus

 

The Church was uneducated in the way God's universe actually was structured. This is why the sun centered Solar system was opposed by the church

Back in the 16th Century.

 

But just because the official church opposed Science

This does not mean that the official church was correct

 

Nor does it mean that the enlightenment of Science

can be used to prove there is no God.

 

Another Revolution came along in 1924 when Edwin Hubble discovered that the Andomeda Galaxy was not part of our own,

Discovered the Expanding Universe, Red Shift, and this is how Big Bang Cosmological thought was developed.

 

 

http://www.wired.com/thisdayintech/2009/12/1230hubble-first-galaxy-outside-milky-way/

 

 

 


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 3271
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
Nice Ad Lib... even your

Nice Ad Lib... even your title of the thread is misleading.

 

 


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4634
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is onlineOnline
 Ummm, yeah...... so.......

 Ummm, yeah...... so....... did you have a point?

 

Humans learn. Our understanding of the world and universe today is much better than it was in 1924. Yet another reason why it is utterly foolish to give any credibility to a book written thousands of years ago and to live your life like that ancient book has the answers to life's questions.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


ex-minister
atheistHigh Level ModeratorSilver Member
ex-minister's picture
Posts: 1708
Joined: 2010-01-29
User is offlineOffline
radioboyintj wrote:      

radioboyintj wrote:

 

 

 

Nor does it mean that the enlightenment of Science

can be used to prove there is no God.

 

Science uses facts to support theories. 

It can find none to support the existence of a god because it cannot prove something that is non-existent or imaginary.

 

The authors of the bible were clear it was imaginary.

Hebrews 11:1

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen

 

 

 

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/


latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
Posts: 2036
Joined: 2007-06-01
User is offlineOffline
I am going to reply with so

I am going to reply with so what? I don't give care about what science knew and what the church knew, the bible (again assuming your a christian) is supposed to be the word of god, that it is divinely inspired and dictated by god to his people....are you saying god didn't know? Or are you just basically stating that the bible is false because it shows that obvious ignorance of the people who wrote the bible?

 


radioboyintj
Theist
Posts: 7
Joined: 2012-03-23
User is offlineOffline
Why Do You Reject Scientific Evidence For God?

This shows me that you, like most atheists, are not

questioning and doubting yet honest seekers of truth, 

but rather you refuse to believe, even when Sound Science

shows strong evidence to the contrary.


Your mind is actually closed to any rational evidence which

can be used to show that God exists, because you are

stubborn and actually hate God.

 


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
RadioBoy

radioboyintj wrote:

 

you refuse to believe, even when Sound Science shows strong evidence to the contrary.


Your mind is actually closed to any rational evidence which can be used to show that God exists, because you are stubborn and actually hate God.

 

 

Sound science shows no empirical evidence for your hypothetical supernatural first cause. Why do you keep peddling your appeal to complexity to us? Give us proof of god - and get this - that does not mean we want you to tell us what science does not know. How many times do we have to say it? Things that are unknown do not prove your bald assertions about first cause

And don't be so small minded as to claim skeptical empiricists are motivated by hatred of your hitherto non-existent god concept. Simply, we don't know everything about first cause, the universe and the nature of existence but we rely on methodological naturalism to explain it to us, not unsupported assertions variously fueled by mythology, threats, motivated reasoning and RadioBoy's Fallacious Argument From Hate. 

 

 

RADIOBOY'S FALLACIOUS ARGUMENT FROM HATE

 

(1) Some atheists hate Christians, Christianity and Jesus.

(2) That's why they don't believe in God.

(3) Stubborn, aren't they?

(4) Therefore, God exists.

 

 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
Posts: 482
Joined: 2012-02-14
User is offlineOffline
radioboyintj wrote:This

radioboyintj wrote:

This shows me that you, like most atheists, are not

questioning and doubting yet honest seekers of truth, 

but rather you refuse to believe, even when Sound Science

shows strong evidence to the contrary.


Your mind is actually closed to any rational evidence which

can be used to show that God exists, because you are

stubborn and actually hate God.

 

We are still learning and always will be. That does not prove anything at all about god. The church is stubborn to the point of ridiculous but eventually concedes to a point every once in a great many years, only not to appear to be completely retarded in the field of science. Though, out of pride, they must put their own twist on newly discovered scientific facts only to save face with their faithful followers. Even the high and mighty catholic church has the balls to admit that what was taught by their predecessors in the not so distant past is simply not true.

I speak only for myself when I tell you that you are right about one thing. I do hate god(your god). I quote myself- "....God is not inherent in me. God is a fantasy. To share a fantasy as a living truth is to lie. And so God is a lie."

I hate lies. ipso-facto I hate god.

 

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10688
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Even today!, christians

Even today!, christians believe the world is flat and less than 7000 years old!

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
Posts: 2036
Joined: 2007-06-01
User is offlineOffline
radioboyintj wrote:This

radioboyintj wrote:

This shows me that you, like most atheists, are not

questioning and doubting yet honest seekers of truth, 

but rather you refuse to believe, even when Sound Science

shows strong evidence to the contrary.

This statement shows me that you are simply going to go on the ad hominem side of an argument, because at this point you have yet to show any evidence at all other than saying you have science on your side....guess what we have science on our side, no evidence at all for god, so far I have yet to see any thing that you have presented as evidence of god.

Quote:


Your mind is actually closed to any rational evidence which

can be used to show that God exists, because you are

stubborn and actually hate God.

 

and there is the ad hominem part with an added strawman setup....and you accuse atheists of creating strawmen yet here you are doing that. Also I am not closed minded, you just haven't presented any proper evidence for god......so why should i believe you...so far all you have stated in your posts is that you believe in science and in god and that science proves god and you have science on your side...........no evidence to back up any of your claims.....so i will repeat....so what? Why should I believe any of your claims when you present zero evidence?


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3686
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

 

 RADIOBOY'S FALLACIOUS ARGUMENT FROM HATE

 

(1) Some atheists hate Christians, Christianity and Jesus.

(2) That's why they don't believe in God.

(3) Stubborn, aren't they?

(4) Therefore, God exists.

 

 

 

 

 

                                     

                                                                                               Ae, you would make an excellent psychoanalyst. 

 

 

 

 

"Most people are ass holes." Jesus of Nazareth


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
I have to credit

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

 

 RADIOBOY'S FALLACIOUS ARGUMENT FROM HATE

 

(1) Some atheists hate Christians, Christianity and Jesus.

(2) That's why they don't believe in God.

(3) Stubborn, aren't they?

(4) Therefore, God exists.

 

 

 

 

 

                                     

                                                                                               Ae, you would make an excellent psychoanalyst. 

 

 

 

 

 

Godless Geeks and Internet Infidels - they have this resource http://www.godlessgeeks.com/LINKS/GodProof.htm which includes six hundred and sixty six (666) proofs of god, all stitched up in the most delightful ways. Some silly, some rather good. I modified one of these to suit RadioBoy's adhom pie. 

 

 

 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 3271
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
radioboyintj wrote:This

radioboyintj wrote:

This shows me that you, like most atheists, are not

questioning and doubting yet honest seekers of truth, 

but rather you refuse to believe, even when Sound Science

shows strong evidence to the contrary.


Your mind is actually closed to any rational evidence which

can be used to show that God exists, because you are

stubborn and actually hate God.

 

Your original post is like a paper mache made by a 4 year old. You show signs of scatter brain and ADD.

You start posting stuff which is rational and organized rather than a link with a bunch of ad lib personal opinions and I'll consider taking you up for debate.

Free will is an illusion. People always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

-Scott Adams


A_Nony_Mouse
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
Posts: 2880
Joined: 2008-04-23
User is offlineOffline
.

radioboyintj wrote:

This shows me that you, like most atheists, are not

questioning and doubting yet honest seekers of truth, 

but rather you refuse to believe, even when Sound Science

shows strong evidence to the contrary.

How does acoustics do that?


Quote:
Your mind is actually closed to any rational evidence which

can be used to show that God exists, because you are

stubborn and actually hate God.

Is that really the best you can do? If you have physical evidence post it. Don't keep it a secret.

 

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml