Should I engage in a debate on Facebook about the existence of God?

Zeeboe
User is offlineOffline
Should I engage in a debate on Facebook about the existence of God?

Virtually everyone in my family is on my Facebook and they are Christian and they know I am not a believer. A lot of my friends on there are also Christian and many of them post Christian-related things. I say nothing. Mainly because I have most of their updates blocked since I feel that overpost too much. And also - Given that I sometimes post quotes from people like Charles Darwin and Richard Dawkins, and make little references every now and then to evolution, I don't feel sour about anything.

However, today a friend posted this -

"ATHEIST PROFESSOR IN HELL! Best testimony EVER! HELL NDE. Amazing! Howa...: http://t.co/T7E0QMQK via @youtube
Worth Watching"

When my Mother posted a YouTube clip that was a dramatization of the urban legend about how when Albert Einstein was a college student, he humiliated an atheist professor by using the "Evil is the absence of God" argument on him, it took some will power on my end not to go and post the link to the snopes.com link that debunked it.

However, I am finding myself wondering if I should say something to this other person about the clip she posted. She and I have had debates about God before, and I've brought her to tears. And I thought I was being very mild in the debates. I had another young woman I made cry two years ago over the same stuff, and she ended up dumping me. Damn you God for cock-blocking me.

Anyhow, this woman is not a family member, so what do you guys think?

Zeeboe
User is offlineOffline
I am REALLY considering

I mean, that post I shared with you guys was from Twitter. Her Facebook says "I know some people don't believe. But look at this." I can't help but think it's directed towards me, and this is a challenge. I am REALLY considering posting this in response to her.  -

http://youtu.be/XvxFXkv7L24

It's from Penn & Teller's Bullshit. lol. This episode focused on Death Experiences. I am going to try to have some will power for a few minutes and see what you guys think.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Depends, do you care if you

Depends, do you care if you piss people off and they unfriend you? Do you care if you end up being talked about? If the answer is no, then go for it.

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline

Do it.  They want you to be quiet so they can have power.  Tell the truth.  I don't have any advice on how polite to be on this one, maybe some other posters will.  I tend to vary my politeness depending on the situation, but usually start off polite.  I keep a laser sharp focus on the issues, and do my best to make sure the person does too.  If they stray to some emotional issue or attack me or my motives instead of my arguments, I take it as a sign of ignorance and dishonesty.  Usually by this point the conversation is over anyway, because their rationality has been disrupted (more so). 

Remember, if even one person deviates it makes it easier for other people to deviate too.  It's hard to go against the group.

Zeeboe
User is offlineOffline
I went ahead and posted a

I went ahead and posted a response. I'm not worried about it. She's not a family member, so there is no need for me to work to keep peace. However, I do think if someone on my Facebook insults my kind, no matter who it is, family or not, I will defend us. This was my response to my friend -

http://youtu.be/XvxFXkv7L24

If you watch one part of the clip, please start watching at 5:09. They put these pilots into situations where they black out, and they start dreaming. It's basically a controlled-environment and creates a near-d...eath expereince for the brain, and the subjects always have strange dreams. It's because the brain goes through so much stress, it's pretty much the body's way of fighting to protect itself and how it handles something that directly attacks the mind. It's like drugs - Sometimes you have a good trip or a bad trip. In this case, this man had a bad trip.

I think near-death experiences are just another form of very vivid dreams. I've had dreams where I've flown through space, I've talk to people who have died, I've gone to Mars and chatted with an old Indian warrior, I once fought in an American Civil War battle, I've chatted with different breeds of Aliens, and I've visited the Planet of the Apes.

One of the reasons why I LOVE to sleep is because who knows what crazy adventures my brain is going to put me through.

And heck, one of the reasons why I love getting drunk is because my POV of the world changes.

I'm not trying to insult anyone who is Christian, but I honestly see religion as the same thing. It's a psychology thing. I mean, heck, can anyone prove to me that Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't exist? Just like I can't prove there is no God, no one can prove the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't exist either. The burden of proof is on you.

Most likely, this man in the clip was not a confident Atheist, and that's why he thought he was in Hell. I've also had dreams before where I was in Hell, and I didn't mind it. I figure, if hell is a real place, one will get use to the heat in hell like you get use to the heat when you get into a hot tub. Smiling

Much love for you Christian. I hope this post did not offend you, and if you need to remove it, I understand and still am a big fan of yours.

tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
User is offlineOffline
I used to hold back on fb,

I used to hold back on fb, til i realized my page was getting fuller and fuller of prayers and other stupid christian sayings.  When one comes up i usually wait a while for some other posts to come in-between, just so i don't appear tp be directing it at them personally, then I let it fly. A few good atheist memes can really get your point across and i have hundreds of them. I figure putting up only youtube videos isn't as effective cuz most people won't take the time to watch. If you really want to get into deep debate i suggest you invite them here.  You can be a proud Atheist without shoving it in peoples faces, but when it's put in your face first don't hold back. I post some brutally honest shit and got a few polite complaints, including a relative. I replied only with a click of the "un-friend" button.  As far as being cock-blocked by god, how serious can you take someone who is completely delusional and unwilling to face reality. If you're just chasing some tail, then i suggest keeping the intellectual conversation to a minimum, at least until the day comes when you think they might be worth keeping around and may be able one day to wake up from their delusions. Good luck with that!

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia