Age of parnoia: No good deed goes unpunished

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5487
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Age of parnoia: No good deed goes unpunished

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/03/16/man-who-offered-lift-to-teen-girls-says-hes-victim-of-good-deed-gone-wrong/

 

Basically, a guy tried to help out some young girls who were walking home in a snow storm and the cops show up three days later.

What ever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

 

 

 


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
When the hunt for red-handed

When the hunt for red-handed perverts™ began in the states.

We're prone to having demagogues for politicians, in case you didn't notice. Sticking out tongue

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
Posts: 1211
Joined: 2010-11-19
User is offlineOffline
Hi Opie

Hi OPie,

Since you are an atheist and have no objective understanding of what 'good' is but instead just tautalogically repeat without explanation to be good for goodness sake your entire thread was like an old man farting in the wind.

You read an article, it says good,  you stare blankely ahead.

However, this is another practicle example on how worthless atheists steal Christian thinking like the OPIE did on the definition of good in order to understand reality. lol

Dummies.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10687
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
^jean demonstrates his

^jean demonstrates his inability to comprehend that evil and good are subjective, not objective.

As for the article, I'd sue the police AND the girls for harassment. Though I wouldn't have offered them a ride anyway, specifically because of shit like this. Even if -100C.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
lol

 

Jean Chauvin wrote:

 

However, this is another practicle example on how worthless atheists steal Christian thinking like the OPIE did on the definition of good in order to understand reality. lol

 

 

except that christianity was invented hundreds of thousands of years after modern humans appeared and it trademarked human ethics to create a morality cult. lol.

Dummy. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
Posts: 1211
Joined: 2010-11-19
User is offlineOffline
Hi Extremeist

Hello,

Since the Earth itself isn't hundrends of thousands of years old then logically humans were not around hundrends of thoursand years ago lol.

If you would like to discuss the various transitions links that invented this myth, then we can. Let's start with Piltdown Man, and the progress to Peking Man and Lucy.

In logic, just because you say something doesn't mean it's true. If I were to say that I am spider man and can shoot webs from my hand and then I dig up a spider looking guy and call it my ancestor doesn't logically make me spider man.

This has given me an idea to trace every mythical transition in reference to how and the contradictory dating procedures.

For example, in 1988 the world encyclopedia had the dating of rocks based on fossils and fossils based on rocks which was circular reasoning.

Since you are simply parroting what you've been told and have no understanding in this, then you speak like a hollow bird floating on air.

But hypothically speaking, evena million years ago, that does not mean they would know what good is unless they had an infinite reference point of perfection and personality. since Christinaity is the only one to have done this in history, and since the propositions are true, thus it stands.

Extreme, you typically are quite, how are you doing in life? what's new?

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hello,

Since the Earth itself isn't hundrends of thousands of years old then logically humans were not around hundrends of thoursand years ago lol.

If you would like to discuss the various transitions links that invented this myth, then we can. Let's start with Piltdown Man, and the progress to Peking Man and Lucy.

In logic, just because you say something doesn't mean it's true. If I were to say that I am spider man and can shoot webs from my hand and then I dig up a spider looking guy and call it my ancestor doesn't logically make me spider man.

This has given me an idea to trace every mythical transition in reference to how and the contradictory dating procedures.

For example, in 1988 the world encyclopedia had the dating of rocks based on fossils and fossils based on rocks which was circular reasoning.

Since you are simply parroting what you've been told and have no understanding in this, then you speak like a hollow bird floating on air.

But hypothically speaking, evena million years ago, that does not mean they would know what good is unless they had an infinite reference point of perfection and personality. since Christinaity is the only one to have done this in history, and since the propositions are true, thus it stands.

Extreme, you typically are quite, how are you doing in life? what's new?

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

Jeannine,

Why don't we discuss the real transitions instead of the hoaxes that science found and religionists still buy into?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hello,

Since the Earth itself isn't hundrends of thousands of years old then logically humans were not around hundrends of thoursand years ago lol.

If you would like to discuss the various transitions links that invented this myth, then we can. Let's start with Piltdown Man, and the progress to Peking Man and Lucy.

In logic, just because you say something doesn't mean it's true. If I were to say that I am spider man and can shoot webs from my hand and then I dig up a spider looking guy and call it my ancestor doesn't logically make me spider man.

This has given me an idea to trace every mythical transition in reference to how and the contradictory dating procedures.

For example, in 1988 the world encyclopedia had the dating of rocks based on fossils and fossils based on rocks which was circular reasoning.

Since you are simply parroting what you've been told and have no understanding in this, then you speak like a hollow bird floating on air.

But hypothically speaking, evena million years ago, that does not mean they would know what good is unless they had an infinite reference point of perfection and personality. since Christinaity is the only one to have done this in history, and since the propositions are true, thus it stands.

Extreme, you typically are quite, how are you doing in life? what's new?

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

 

Wow. Philosophy fail on behalf of an idiot bible-thumper. And at 'Take #925', no less. Most philosophy fails end up in Calvin McFail land.

 

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
Posts: 2455
Joined: 2008-02-17
User is offlineOffline
Read the subsequent

Read the subsequent articles. The guy lied. There was no snow storm and the girls were properly dressed for the winter, no need to take them for a ride. Yet he followed them around with a car, as the security camera shows. So he may be a perv after all. 

The presumption of innocence got another hit and USA is one step deeper in paranoid repressive sexual hysteria. 

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Read the

Luminon wrote:

Read the subsequent articles. The guy lied. There was no snow storm and the girls were properly dressed for the winter, no need to take them for a ride. Yet he followed them around with a car, as the security camera shows. So he may be a perv after all. 

The presumption of innocence got another hit and USA is one step deeper in paranoid repressive sexual hysteria. 

Not sure about presumption of innocence, but as for "paranoid repressive sexual hysteria", well... not quite. It's true that America is behind Europe by xy years in terms of sexual politics and/or culture, but that's been a poorly-kept secret for some time now. Our "hysteria" about whatever consenting adults do behind closed doors is dissipating particularly rapidly from the more conformist 50s and wingnut 80s and early 21st century, but that is not something outsiders would be particularly keen about. It seems, for example, that whenever a European turns on the news or reads their respective press publications, they only get to learn about popular (negative) stereotypes of Americans, because that is universally all I see Euros commenting on with regards to my nation's politics.

Here's a popular stereotype we Americans have of the developed remainder of the Northern Hemisphere: condescending, meddlesome and arrogant 'armchair citizens' who have no shortage of opinions about how America should go about it's politics; the quintessential "Monday Morning Quarterback" -someone who is always 'right' about what should have been done after the 'game' is already lost, political situation goes south, etc.

Anyone care to 'break' that stereotype, by chance?

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10687
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hello,

Since the Earth itself isn't hundrends of thousands of years old then logically

Since the Earth is billions of years old, then logically everything you said is obviously false.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
Posts: 2455
Joined: 2008-02-17
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Not sure about

Kapkao wrote:

Not sure about presumption of innocence, but as for "paranoid repressive sexual hysteria", well... not quite. It's true that America is behind Europe by xy years in terms of sexual politics and/or culture, but that's been a poorly-kept secret for some time now. Our "hysteria" about whatever consenting adults do behind closed doors is dissipating particularly rapidly from the more conformist 50s and wingnut 80s and early 21st century, but that is not something outsiders would be particularly keen about. It seems, for example, that whenever a European turns on the news or reads their respective press publications, they only get to learn about popular (negative) stereotypes of Americans, because that is universally all I see Euros commenting on with regards to my nation's politics.

Here's a popular stereotype we Americans have of the developed remainder of the Northern Hemisphere: condescending, meddlesome and arrogant 'armchair citizens' who have no shortage of opinions about how America should go about it's politics; the quintessential "Monday Morning Quarterback" -someone who is always 'right' about what should have been done after the 'game' is already lost, political situation goes south, etc.

Anyone care to 'break' that stereotype, by chance?

Actually, the American stereotype of "meddlesome, condescending and arrogant" is anything but armchair. It's a very active condescending and arrogant meddling policy, that drives Americans to build military, radar and missile bases and missile  in people's homelands. Such a base is supposed to "protect" Americans from some country on the other side of the planet, yet endangering that country in the process, which actually increases the risk of retaliation. And if there is any retaliation, the nukes would be shot down by missiles in my (neighbouring) country and their radioactive remains would fall on my country

But I understand that is an overly active foreign policy on steroids and crack, not an American people's feature of character. And my people managed to boycott the radar base anyway, (despite of my politicians selling us out at the first possible moment) so I can forgive you this one.

There is an American stereotype here and it has a real basis. Americans are known as crazy. That is, merry, singing, playful, enthusiastic about everything, not concerned with details, dumb (we like Youtube too) and religious. This last one's important, it's the key. I imagine lots of various Americans stay in the capital city, but those who go into this god not-forsaken border region, are almost always Evangelical Christian Americans. They do two things here. They supply the desperate overwhelming demand on schools for native English speaksmen and teachers. My people really really like to practice their English, when they have any. (and I'm a good example of that) If you want to learn Czech, you have to insist, otherwise they'll exploit you all the time for their English practice. 

The second purpose of Americans here is evangelization. In practice they can't compete with alcohol, soccer and hockey's influence on youth. In practice I suppose they enrich the program of local youth Christian groups, which is boring, childish and mostly sports and hiking-based, that is, very adequate for local Christian youth. If you think your life is empty, nobody likes you and that you're not special, come evangelizing to Czech Republic. You'll instantly become a celebrity, as much as local lukewarm and individualistic national character permits. Not just among Christians, probably also among crowds of people desperate to practice their verbal skills, pronounciation and accent. You can't learn the language just by writing on forums and listening to podcasts and movies. My accent and pronounciation really sucks, you know?

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote: Actually, the

Luminon wrote:
Actually, the American stereotype of "meddlesome, condescending and arrogant" is anything but armchair.

Uh, whatever stereotypes are derived from our politicians, bureaucrats and military advisors is very much an aspect of Europeans behaving like armchair citizens of the US, and Europeans show their rather immense lack of comprehension of our societal workings every time they put the stereotype into action.

Quote:
I can forgive you this one.

Lum... I could give a shit who you 'forgive' for toxic, interventionist military policy on the behalf of delegated figureheads that have few if any ties to the people they represent. Believe it or not, we aren't imminently responsible for the actions of people we have zero control or influence over in a system that frequently has displayed how irreparably broken it is. Maybe you care to stereotype Russia based on Putin's actions or the actions of numerous 20th century Russian mouth-breathers? How about Mussolini? Were all Italians responsible for him?

Were all Japanese responsible for unit 731? If they weren't, how are they any different from Americans living under an imperialistic gov't today?

Quote:
There is an American stereotype here and it has a real basis.

There's a European stereotype with a real basis as well... it's that of a sardonic, ignorant and/or hypercritical armchair citizen that doesn't care to pay our taxes.

Believe me, their reaction to politics and society is part of why I make a point of being snarky, apathetic-yet-"morally skeptical". I pride myself in being a moral skeptic, to be sure because of dealing with ignorant, pseudo-intellectual idealists that could not think or discuss their way out of a paper bag. I'm going to make the assumption you aren't such a person, even if you are frustrated with us in a way that defeats reasoning.

Quote:
(...)but those who go into this god not-forsaken border region, are almost always Evangelical Christian Americans. They do two things here. They supply the desperate overwhelming demand on schools for native English speaksmen and teachers. My people really really like to practice their English, when they have any. (and I'm a good example of that) If you want to learn Czech, you have to insist, otherwise they'll exploit you all the time for their English practice.

The second purpose of Americans here is evangelization. In practice they can't compete with alcohol, soccer and hockey's influence on youth. In practice I suppose they enrich the program of local youth Christian groups, which is boring, childish and mostly sports and hiking-based, that is, very adequate for local Christian youth. If you think your life is empty, nobody likes you and that you're not special, come evangelizing to Czech Republic. You'll instantly become a celebrity, as much as local lukewarm and individualistic national character permits. Not just among Christians, probably also among crowds of people desperate to practice their verbal skills, pronounciation and accent. You can't learn the language just by writing on forums and listening to podcasts and movies. My accent and pronounciation really sucks, you know?

"ZHE EVILLE CZECHS HAVE CEDED TO ZHE FACHISTE GERMAN REPUBLIC! VWHAT EVER SHALL I DO?!?!?!"

Apologies for the Godwin. Eye-wink Mimicry of accents seems fairly straight forward to me, since I played Command & Conquer Red Alert in the mid-90s. My favorite part? The actor playing Stalin saying my "star is as bright as the Soviet Union herself", then learning over a decade later that is as good as signing my own death warrant in Stalin's world. There's also that thing about Stalin fighting Martian invaders, a few years back. It earned a few giggles, IIRC.

 

Ok, Lum, so you're angry and frustrated because a few wingnuts are mucking around with your country. Wingnuts that don't even decide policy, no less!

Sorry, it isn't my problem, and there's fuck-all I can do about it anyhow. Because these people you refer to are considered "private citizens" I have no influence or control over their actions, and even less responsibility over their actions than the politicians I never voted for or gave my stamp of approval to.

Believe me, I and no doubt millions of young, atheistic and idealistic crusaders miss being young and ignorant enough to believe that the world can actually change for the better, and in one's own lifetime no less. I'm sure Bob Spence misses those days all the time. 

Lum, what you don't seem to grasp is that the most I or any other RRS'er can do is attempt to promote secularism in such a convincing, enlightened-yet-diplomatic manner as to render secularism a force to be reckoned with in my home country. That idiots like Jean and "The Theist" will oppose this, amuses me greatly, in the same sense that Sage and Vastet being "nonsensical" trolls amuses me -until it becomes fucking redundant. Then I stop giving a shit about the theistards and Twittles Dee and Dumb of twitch gaming, and spend some time doing stuff that is actually thought-provoking.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
Posts: 2455
Joined: 2008-02-17
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Lum... I could

Kapkao wrote:

Lum... I could give a shit who you 'forgive' for toxic, interventionist military policy on the behalf of delegated figureheads that have few if any ties to the people they represent. Believe it or not, we aren't imminently responsible for the actions of people we have zero control or influence over in a system that frequently has displayed how irreparably broken it is. Maybe you care to stereotype Russia based on Putin's actions or the actions of numerous 20th century Russian mouth-breathers? How about Mussolini? Were all Italians responsible for him?

Were all Japanese responsible for unit 731? If they weren't, how are they any different from Americans living under an imperialistic gov't today?

I know, I was just half-kidding Smiling 

Kapkao wrote:
 
Quote:
There is an American stereotype here and it has a real basis.

There's a European stereotype with a real basis as well... it's that of a sardonic, ignorant and/or hypercritical armchair citizen that doesn't care to pay our taxes.

Believe me, their reaction to politics and society is part of why I make a point of being snarky, apathetic-yet-"morally skeptical". I pride myself in being a moral skeptic, to be sure because of dealing with ignorant, pseudo-intellectual idealists that could not think or discuss their way out of a paper bag. I'm going to make the assumption you aren't such a person, even if you are frustrated with us in a way that defeats reasoning.

Don't take that too seriously! I'm always for reasoning, just notice how American missionaries can create the public opinion of your nation in the world. Most of Americans I've ever met were typical Christians on a mission here. And I know that. I know they left behind the interesting and diverse American individuals who defeat the stereotypes and that I have to go on a forum like this one to meet them. But I'm so tired of local not-thinking-beer-drinking sport fans that I really welcome Christians for discussion, specially the foreign ones. Send them over here!

So, where does your society get their idea of Europeans? Do you have any European missionaries over there or something?

Kapkao wrote:
 

"ZHE EVILLE CZECHS HAVE CEDED TO ZHE FACHISTE GERMAN REPUBLIC! VWHAT EVER SHALL I DO?!?!?!"

Apologies for the Godwin. Eye-wink Mimicry of accents seems fairly straight forward to me, since I played Command & Conquer Red Alert in the mid-90s. My favorite part? The actor playing Stalin saying my "star is as bright as the Soviet Union herself", then learning over a decade later that is as good as signing my own death warrant in Stalin's world. There's also that thing about Stalin fighting Martian invaders, a few years back. It earned a few giggles, IIRC.

 

Ok, Lum, so you're angry and frustrated because a few wingnuts are mucking around with your country. Wingnuts that don't even decide policy, no less!

Sorry, it isn't my problem, and there's fuck-all I can do about it anyhow. Because these people you refer to are considered "private citizens" I have no influence or control over their actions, and even less responsibility over their actions than the politicians I never voted for or gave my stamp of approval to.

Believe me, I and no doubt millions of young, atheistic and idealistic crusaders miss being young and ignorant enough to believe that the world can actually change for the better, and in one's own lifetime no less. I'm sure Bob Spence misses those days all the time. 

Lum, what you don't seem to grasp is that the most I or any other RRS'er can do is attempt to promote secularism in such a convincing, enlightened-yet-diplomatic manner as to render secularism a force to be reckoned with in my home country. That idiots like Jean and "The Theist" will oppose this, amuses me greatly, in the same sense that Sage and Vastet being "nonsensical" trolls amuses me -until it becomes fucking redundant. Then I stop giving a shit about the theistards and Twittles Dee and Dumb of twitch gaming, and spend some time doing stuff that is actually thought-provoking.

Dammit, I forgot to put there about a half dozen smillies in there. I was about half as serious as you think. I guess we can agree that both our countries are imperfect, to put it mildly. I only resent about America that it has way too much influence than an imperfect country should ever have, that's all. My idea of patriotism is providing criticism to my country, constructive criticism if possible. Well, and sometimes it spills over to another country that could use some "patriotism" too. After all, I'm a former game designer and I can report a bug when I see one. I also think that it is really fascinating to see how other people see ourselves or our nations and so on.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote: Kapkao wrote:

Luminon wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

Lum... I could give a shit who you 'forgive' for toxic, interventionist military policy on the behalf of delegated figureheads that have few if any ties to the people they represent. Believe it or not, we aren't imminently responsible for the actions of people we have zero control or influence over in a system that frequently has displayed how irreparably broken it is. Maybe you care to stereotype Russia based on Putin's actions or the actions of numerous 20th century Russian mouth-breathers? How about Mussolini? Were all Italians responsible for him?

Were all Japanese responsible for unit 731? If they weren't, how are they any different from Americans living under an imperialistic gov't today?

I know, I was just half-kidding Smiling

How 'serious' you or anyone else is irrelevant when making claims here. I have lots of free time here for reasons beyond my control, and nowhere near enough side-distractions to waste time on. You made a claim, I challenged it. 

 

Quote:
Don't take that too seriously! I'm always for reasoning, just notice how American missionaries can create the public opinion of your nation in the world.

The same way some Imams who fanatically believe in Sharia Law create the "public opinion" of numerous muslims, including moderates. Sure. 

Quote:
So, where does your society get their idea of Europeans? Do you have any European missionaries over there or something?

First off... there is no "their idea" here. I speak for myself and ONLY myself while I post here.

Secondly, I've already clarified this.

Quote:
There's a European stereotype with a real basis as well... it's that of a sardonic, ignorant and/or hypercritical armchair citizen that doesn't care to pay our taxes.

If you mean "on what grounds", some of it was demonstrated right here at RRS. Most of it is easily demonstrated in the aftermath of 9/11, from the department of "lololz they voted for Bush Jr and went to war with Iraq hey let's throw tomatoes at them." Put "American" with any sort of pejorative word, and you can likely find it on a search engine. You can also find it in any discussion about the legal booze drinking/buying age and where the French language is employed. (Heh)

You can find it by putting the words "obesity" "fat" "overweight"  or "obesity epidemic" in the same sentence as "American" or "yanks". You can find it by googling "A merry cunt". Apparently, Euros (and quite a few other cultures) believe problems with obesity are largely unique to the states. Those that don't, play on the stereotype as much as they can anyhow.

And, of course, there are prominent RRS'ers that have played on a redundant stereotype or two. LatinCanuck fell for it a few months after I joined. I responded with a vanity derail about my avatar then pointing how ineffectual his appeal to international opinion was. The truth is... few people here give a fuck what condescending, arrogant Europeans have to say about our government in precisely the same sense that many of the same condescending, arrogant Europeans don't care to hear our opinions of their array of political setups on the subcontinent.  

My comment deals with idiots from Europe attempting to give many of us a civics lesson or suggestion about what we "should do" with our laws and government, despite having zero knowledge of both and even less than nothing in terms of actual life experience regarding our culture, societal values, actual history, the dynamics of our economy politics and so forth. A lot of the people on the web post such garbage without any desire to "broaden their cultural horizons" which is to say, they voice their opinions from a largely bigoted viewpoint while "sitting on a pedestal", no less.

And that's perfectly OK, because we have plenty of nice things to say about Europe's locals and their bizarre customs, as well.

Quote:
Dammit, I forgot to put there about a half dozen smillies in there. I was about half as serious as you think.

Well, there you go; your level of "serious(ness)" doesn't transmit over the net. Even if does, what difference does it make?

To put it another way; try to imagine me posting most of my viewpoints with a gigantic shit-eating grin on my face. I don't loose sleep or have nervous breakdowns because someone, somewhere is critical of me or my country. I thought that was obvious by the occasional snarky quip. I guess it isn't obvious.

Quote:
I guess we can agree that both our countries are imperfect, to put it mildly.

Not quite. I admit my country has faults, and mountains of political faults at that. I don't know about political faults outside of the anglophone, because I don't bother with it until someone brings it to my attention.

 

Quote:
I only resent about America that it has way too much influence than an imperfect country should ever have, that's all.

Guess what! That's complaint #1 with our Gov't at present, that we behave like an uncompromising, rarely-yielding empire that is collapsing under it's immense weight, but still wants to colonize the rest of the world with it's military bases and drydocks.

Again, since our nation is hanging on by threads, it might be time to rethink the 'mighty king' approach to diplomacy and militaristic action. But even if we did such, we're still likely to hang onto "sole superpower" status for a looonnnggg ass time. Our superpower status keeps guys like Putin, il-Jong, Ahmedinejad and the late Qaddafi on their toes.

Quote:
My idea of patriotism is providing criticism to my country, constructive criticism if possible.

Again, Larry Flynt has you beat by at least two decades, if not three. I believe he deserves a page in American History books for his promotion of satire and inalienable free speech, even if his 'professional calling' puts Family Values goons on edge. That's how he has earned his broad, widely-publicized image; he questions moral authority.

He is also believed to be an undiagnosed bipolar 'sufferer', and he took a bullet through his spine from a bigoted asshole who didn't personally approve of the 'indecencies' he published (interracial smut.)

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
Posts: 2455
Joined: 2008-02-17
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:And that's

Kapkao wrote:

And that's perfectly OK, because we have plenty of nice things to say about Europe's locals and their bizarre customs, as well.

Well, go ahead with that! Easter is coming soon and in some villages guys celebrate Easter by flogging girls with phalically symbolic decorated wicker rods (to grant them youth, beauty and fertility) and by dunking them in water (so the boobs will show, I suppose). The girls must endure, escape, or appease the visitors by painted eggs (another fertility symbol) and nowadays also money and a tot of plum brandy. Later around the 1st May guys proceed by erecting a 20 meters tall May pole, which is again more than symbolically phallic and girls dance around it. The St Nicholas day on 6th December is also an interesting story, but without fertility symbols because children are involved.


Kapkao wrote:
 Again, since our nation is hanging on by threads, it might be time to rethink the 'mighty king' approach to diplomacy and militaristic action. But even if we did such, we're still likely to hang onto "sole superpower" status for a looonnnggg ass time. Our superpower status keeps guys like Putin, il-Jong, Ahmedinejad and the late Qaddafi on their toes.
That's likely. Although if I'd be the American president (and his Cabinet and whole Congress) I'd hand over the overgrown military to United Nations command. Problem solved through my superior European analytic powers Smiling Just kidding. I see, there is a short way from analytic to anal.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Oy ve. Two more

Oy ve. Two more misunderstood statements for me to clarify on. What fun. Again, imagine me being snarky, but in an impish way!

  1. Where I say "Europe's locals", pretend I meant Frogs, Limeys, Clog Wogs  and Krauts that like to patronize their cousins west of the Atlantic, 'unapologetically'. Like many of my countrymen, France, England, Netherlands/Hague and Germany tends to carry some pretty fucked up notions about 'how' they are important in the 21st century, and just how entitled they are to speak harshly about things they have little knowledge regarding. It's worth pointing out that (so far as I've seen) this doesn't apply to Europe-American expatriates, but as near as I can tell the remainder of the stereotype holds true on anecdotal evidence. Smiling Stereotypes can often be confirmed on anecdotal evidence. Smiling Many times, they can be confirmed via "experience" as well. Smiling
  2. You put any nation under the direct control of the UN, they become easy prey for their neighbors. That's how ailing bureaucracies work... they hinder and fillibuster everyfuckinbody except autocrats and warhawks. It seems this is a well-guarded secret in Europe; that is to say... just how royally fucked up the UN has become from it's 'intended' purpose. Y'know... giving veto powers to states with a vested interest in said veto powers; the late Qaddafi being on the "human rights council" while having veto powers, Russia/Putin being on the Security Council with veto powers, Israel's "Palestinian Spring" veto, etc. Palestine may yet have it's "Spring", but it won't happen with any help from the UN.

Europeans really do like bossing the rest of the human race around, destroying whatever sovereignty found amongst world civilization, if necessary, to practice their "international authority" all in the name of (supposed) "humanitarianism". Of course, they can't even 'enforce' their international law with all the 'loopholes' and 'ambiguities' contained within it, so it is almost moot.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
Posts: 2455
Joined: 2008-02-17
User is offlineOffline
fquote=Kapkao] You put
  1. fquote=Kapkao]
  2. You put any nation under the direct control of the UN, they become easy prey for their neighbors. That's how ailing bureaucracies work... they hinder and fillibuster everyfuckinbody except autocrats and warhawks. It seems this is a well-guarded secret in Europe; that is to say... just how royally fucked up the UN has become from it's 'intended' purpose. Y'know... giving veto powers to states with a vested interest in said veto powers; the late Qaddafi being on the "human rights council" while having veto powers, Russia/Putin being on the Security Council with veto powers, Israel's "Palestinian Spring" veto, etc. Palestine may yet have it's "Spring", but it won't happen with any help from the UN.
Yeah, deciding anything by a vote of 200 national reps is a bad idea, except perhaps of nuclear strike. But what do you think of a simple, swift and automatic policy of "attack the attackers"? If anyone ever decides to decide anything through force instead of a civilized way, U.N. should be obliged to attack him right there immediately with a superior force. I know it would involve death of many American soldiers who just "served their country", but at least they'd quickly learn to serve their country from where their country actually is.

Kapkao wrote:
 Europeans really do like bossing the rest of the human race around, destroying whatever sovereignty found amongst world civilization, if necessary, to practice their "international authority" all in the name of (supposed) "humanitarianism". Of course, they can't even 'enforce' their international law with all the 'loopholes' and 'ambiguities' contained within it, so it is almost moot.

Well, last time I checked humanitarian law could not be applied, because USA pulled the strings. For example Israel, this well-behaved little country somehow earned more than 60 U.N. sanctions. But none of them were applied, because USA vetoed them all.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.


tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
Posts: 482
Joined: 2012-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Hey Lum

Hey Lum, I get confused thru all these threads.  Where are you from and have you always lived there?  You said "Israel, this little country" ?  It doesn't really matter-just wondering.

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia


Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
Posts: 1211
Joined: 2010-11-19
User is offlineOffline
Hello

Hello,

If millions of years or billions, of quad zillions lol, then please explain to me why secular geology has been moving away from Unitarianism and into Catastrophy presuppositions for the last 25 years? Since catastrophy is antithetical to a zillion ka billion model, then how does this work?

Also, how come the Grand Canyon Sentiments took millions of years old when extremely close almost exact sentiment like the grand canyon took place in a matter of minutes with hot mud?

And regarding the tree's that are petrified at the grand canyon to be dated millions of years old. When we dug up the roots we were able to see that there is absolutely no roots to this tree but can see that the roots were completely tore off. And including this, what happen to the bark? Why wasn't the bark petrified as well?

The same exact thing happened at Mt. Saint Helens. After the eruption, trees were blown and started floating vertically in the water and some were planted on the river bed of spirit lake. I have swam in spirit lake myself and have actually seen this.

When Mt. Saint Helens blew, and was the life long study of some good sound geologiists, they saw the inconsistency of the conclusions. At the grand canyon, regarding those trees, there was a sign talking about various petrified forests in different ages of millions of years old. when we explained the connection the ranger then TOOK THE SIGN DOWN lol.

I'm leading a two day hike down Mt. Saint Helens with a group of geologist. It's a 20 mile hike straight down a 1500 feet elevation, meaning you will have to climb up the 1500 feet elevation as well. It's 200 bucks if anybody wants to go.

Also, in the little grand canyon at Mt. Saint Helens, there is a stream runing through it. According to the eruption of the hot steam with the hot mud, we see that the river did not form the little grand canyon which is 140th the size of the grand canyon in Arizona, but the canyon formed the river from the Toutle river.


This is why among many many other things that secular geologists are moving from Unitarianism to Catastrophe. They do not wish to get their reputation hurt by the "scienists" that are irrational and emotional, so they are careful and waiting until people like you realize the evidence.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).


Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
Posts: 1211
Joined: 2010-11-19
User is offlineOffline
Hey Tony

Tony,

I see you're letting yourself go there. You should try to get some more sun. Depression is just the expected default of atheism so i'm not surprise

If any honest atheists are actually wanting to look at the evidence, this summer when we hike down Mt. Saint Helens via Johnson Ridge and Harmony Trail, please email me, and I will send you a brocure of the time. 200 bucks goes to the geologists.

Next year, we will be hiking for 1 week in the Grand Canyon. This is 2000 dollars and includes food for the week. We set up tents on the river bed and have rafts to take us where we need to go.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

institutio@gmail.com

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).


Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
Posts: 2455
Joined: 2008-02-17
User is offlineOffline
tonyjeffers wrote:Hey Lum, I

tonyjeffers wrote:

Hey Lum, I get confused thru all these threads.  Where are you from and have you always lived there?  You said "Israel, this little country" ?  It doesn't really matter-just wondering.

I should have written "that little country", not this. My mistake.

I'm from Czech Republic and I've always been here. Just as atheists in Bible Belt escape on the net away from religion, I escape from general dumbness of life. I had to learn a freakin' foreign language (this one) to talk about intellectual and interesting topics like this. 

If you want to know the truth about Czech Republic, read this article by Rob Cameron from BBC. Basically, one billionaire lobbyist businessman controlled the whole city of Prague and all its offices. But that is only a tip of the iceberg, believe me. We have worse corruption than Botswana and politicians need to control only 15 people to stop any case from making it to the court. There never were, nor there will be any actual anti-corruption measures besides talk, not when all the three pillars of state power are the main thieves, who steal about 20% of whole state budget every year.

No wonder you must be getting impression that I'm from some exotic banana republic on the brink of civil war or something Sticking out tongue When I read the news I keep thinking of Molotov cocktails.

 

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10687
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Hello,If

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hello,

If millions of years or billions, of quad zillions lol, then please explain to me why secular geology has been moving away from Unitarianism and into Catastrophy presuppositions for the last 25 years?

You're making things up. Defend that assertion with evidence. Eye-wink

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.