A few random questions

truth
atheist
User is offlineOffline
A few random questions

1. Have you ever had an innate or inner belief that a God exists? For example, a voice inside you telling you that God exists. "You dont have to use reason or logic because God has implanted in all humans an innate belief in him" ?

2. If you could ask God (To be more specific, were talking about the Christian God) 5 questions, what would they be?

3. Is it true that there are no atheists in a foxhole as the saying goes?

4. While Christians turn to God and religion when confronted with hardships and sufferings, how does an atheist cope with it?

5. How would you help an ex Christian (I myself am an example of this) who still carries some baggage, deal with their irrational fear of hell and death?

6. How did race originate, why aren't we all the same color?

7. Where does imagination, creativity, and doubt come from?

8. How did the first humans have intercourse, how did they know this thing goes inside here or how ever it all started, lol.

9. Which one is more logical Atheism or Agnosticism, and why?

10. Can you state some examples of how evolution is a harsh process?

11. What are some flaws in the human body that an all powerful and loving God wouldent have placed in the first place.

12. How do you think homosexuality originated?

13. Are all of our exterior body parts made for survival/chosen by natural selection? For example our nose, fingernails, hair, etc.

14. How did kissing originate, why do we have an attraction towards the opposite gender? Males tend to have a desire towards boobs and a nice butt.  (An atheist comedian explained this in a funny way, he tells the story of Adam and Eve, the first thing Adam told Eve was, how did you get those lumps, lol)

15. Why are we all physically different (no 2 people look the same except twins) how does evolution explain this?

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
1. No. The idea of a

1. No. The idea of a personal God is to me paradoxal on it's face. You could say I have an intuitive feeling, "a voice inside me", as it were, that tells me there is no such thing as a personal God. A pantheistic version of God however (God = The Universe) is slightly different though. I suppose I sometimes get that feeling: That life, the Universe and everything is "divine" in some sense. But it is not a person in any sense of the word. Persons are, by definition, finite, in both time and space. I don't understand how anyone can imagine an infinate personality, be it God, or their own immortal soul, without seeing the paradox. And I still don't believe that anyone really trully does. I believe that deep down we all "know" that we are finite beings. Nothing else makes sense.

2. Can't really imagine an infinite person, so...

3. No it is not true. There are several people on this board who have been active duty soldiers. Beyond that, atheists don't start believing in eternal souls in the face of death. If the colour blue hurt your eyes could you all of a sudden BELIEVE the sky was green? No ofcourse not. You might WANT the sky to be green, but that's not the same as believing it. Same goes for atheists facing death.

4. Christians (and other religious people) SAY they turn to God, but really what they turn to is themselves. They tell themselves everything is going to be allright, they find comfort with friends and loved ones, they confront their problems head on et.c. They may THINK they find the power to do so through God, but that is no different from an atheist thinking they found the power to work through their struggles because of an inspirational book they read, or a friend's advice or whatever. Fact is, everyone, atheist and theist alike, either overcome their problems, or they don't. There is no magic solution to it. You're not garanteed to succeed in overcoming your problems simply be subscribing to one tribe or another.

5. Fear death... That's just the way it is. We all do it sometimes. But the more you manage to enjoy life, the less you'll notice. Don't fear hell. Think of it this way: are you afraid of being reborn as a cocroach? Or that the zombies are gonna rise up any day now? Fiction is just that. I actually have a fear of zombies. I've seen one too many zombie movies as a kid I guess, and sometimes, alone in my apartment, I'll get this flash of fear: "what if a zombie came in the room right now?" But since I don't believe zombies are real, the fear quickly disappears. I CANNOT believe zombies are real, even if I wanted to, because I know too much about biology. You too will stop believing in hell, once you've thought about it long enough. Hell is a silly, utterly nonsensical idea, and I can realize this, if you just think about it. I can elaborate on that for you, if you wanna work it through with someone.

6. Melanin... Simple as that. Why do you have a different hair colour and eye colour and from your mom? Why is your nose larger than your dads? Why are you 2 inches shorter than your brother, but 5 inches taller than your friend from work? Think about it that way. People are all different. More closely related people are less different from eachother than more distant cousins. It's actually quite simple.

7. The brain.

8. There were never any "first humans". Life evolved from single celled organisms. At any given point in any animal or plant's evolution that given animal or plant "knew" what to do, because its parents "knew" what to do.

9. Agnosticism is the most logical conclusion, in that, as Socrates said: "The only thing I know is that I know nothing." But not knowing is what being sentient IS. None of us knows anything for certain. But does that matter? Logic is a linguistic exercise. Life is not. The fact that language can explain how NOTHING is truly knowable does not stop us from assuming the universe will still be here when we wake up tomorrow. So be an atheist, not because it is LOGICAL, but because you know that religion is stories made up by humans. And if they aren't, then why not believe in Thor? Or Ganesh? I mean isn't he as good as any God?

10. (almost) all life has to consume other life to live. That's quite sad sometimes. I mean, I want to live, but if eating me meant the difference between dying of starvation, or living to fight another day for a tiger that chanced upon me in the jungle then who am I to say it shouldn't try and eat me? The tiger want's to live too. So we would just have to fight it out, and one would live, and the other wouldn't. The basic premise of evolution is that whatever happens happens. There is no judgment, for good or ill. If a species dies out, another might get to flourish. That's just the way it is. That is harsh only from the relative perspective of the lifeforms involved. I mean, the dinosaurs must feel like they where dealt a shitty hand, but if they hadn't died out we wouldn't be here, so we are just happy they did.

11. The appendix? That's a strange question. Could you elaborate on why you wanna know this?

12. it didn't "originate" as such. It is a pattern of behaviour, that certain animals can excibit under the right circumstances. But basically, my guess would be that since life started out without genders, and only evolved into dual-sexed beings, we are all built on the same template as it were. the gender of a baby is set the moment the sperm finds the egg, but the fetus itself doesn't have an actual gender until well into the pregnancy. So we may be born with one specific gender (or we may not, in the case of hermafrodites), but we are built from the same basic blueprint, so sometimes men are born with slightly more feminin traits, and those traits can be physical (I myself have a slender physique, and rather rounded facial features for example, and not that much bodyhair) or they can be psychological, like sexual attraction to one gender or another, or both. Everyone is on a sliding scale of bi-sexuality: most people are near the ends of the scale, but not everyone. It's actually pretty simple, and not very surprising once you think about it.

13. Yes, and no. All of our bodyparts, exterior and interior are "made" (though not really "made" in that sense) for one purpose. But it is not survival. It is procreation.

14. Kissing is... pleasant. We all instinctively recognise the signs of the two genders. We are attracted to one or the other based on our personal physical and psycological make-up. All is a product of our genes.

15. You have 50% of your mother's DNA, and 50% percent of your farther's Therefore you are not exactly like either of them. Your siblings get 50% from each of your parents as well, but they are not the same 50% as you get, so you are not exactly like them either (unless you are identical twins). In the case of lifeforms without sexual reproduction they really ARE the same until a mutation comes along (which happens all the time by the way). But they essentially clone themselves, so if not for mutation they WOULD all be exactly the same. It all about the way genetics works. It's quite fascinating, and not that dificult to understand, though it takes a long time to explain in detail. But basically the main reason we are all different is because reproduce sexually. And the rest is down to mutation.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
truth wrote:1. Have you ever

truth wrote:

1. Have you ever had an innate or inner belief that a God exists? For example, a voice inside you telling you that God exists. "You dont have to use reason or logic because God has implanted in all humans an innate belief in him" ?

I don't know how about an innate belief, because I was raised early Christian, though not very thoroughly. (Sunday cartoons on colour TV won over Sunday school) But as a later mystical experience, yes, the feeling of being loved by some external presence in my mind, that came to me in a meditation.

truth wrote:

2. If you could ask God (To be more specific, were talking about the Christian God) 5 questions, what would they be?

Which one of the methods of salvation is true? Why were Adam and Eve framed? Why is God so obsessed with men's... joystick? What's wrong with eating shellfish and wearing jeans? Why there is no contemporary evidence for Jesus' existence?

truth wrote:
No, it isn't. 

Atheists in Foxholes - Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers

truth wrote:
 4. While Christians turn to God and religion when confronted with hardships and sufferings, how does an atheist cope with it?
I don't know, by facing reality proudly? No, it must be rather as Nikolai says.

truth wrote:
 5. How would you help an ex Christian (I myself am an example of this) who still carries some baggage, deal with their irrational fear of hell and death?
The fear of hell is a tough one, it may linger for years and show up on some ocassions. I was afraid of hell, but realized that religious people are just mistaken and that I know better than them. But I was just a child then. Maybe adults need to try harder than that. Try some atheist channels on Youtube, like DarkMatter2525, Nonstampcollector or Thethinkingatheist. 

truth wrote:
Divergent evolutionary paths... Populations that get isolated evolve in their own specific directions. Skin color has a lot to do with survival rate, for example, northern nations evolved pale skin, to catch the most UV radiation and produce the most vitamin D. Southern nations evolved lots of melanin to protect themselves from excessive sunlight, that is, too light-skinned individuals were less likely to survive and less likely to pass their genes forward. And mongoloid races evolved epicanthic fold, making their eyes narrow and more resistant against sand in the wind. (Gobi desert)
But these differences in skin color and appearance form only negligible amount of genetic information.

truth wrote:
I believe atheists call them emergent properties.

truth wrote:
 8. How did the first humans have intercourse, how did they know this thing goes inside here or how ever it all started, lol.
Well, animals knew how to go at it long before humans appeared. But I see what you mean. Recently I had to explain the evolution to my dad, who never took time to study it systematically. So I gave it a lot of thought. Basically, there is no such thing as "first humans". Calling something human species is just an arbitrary name for a portion of genetic lineage with vague beginning. Species are like one fabric of chain mail, irregularly torn into stripes that diverge. Archeologists ocassionally dig up single rings from the great continuous chain mail, give them names and judge the whole chain mail fabric according to the few rings. This is how we invent species, but life is a continuous process. If you pick any two sufficiently distant individuals from the single lineage, chances are they might be called different species. We see ourselves as special, because our ancestors killed off all our nearest relatives, like neanderthals.

truth wrote:
I think Atheism, because we're all atheists towards many gods of various cultures. We don't bother to call ourselves agnostics towards Thor, Zeus, Marduk or Quetzalcoatl.

truth wrote:
It's evolution through natural selection. The naturally unselected individuals, the ones unfit or not adapted enough simply die. That's harsh enough, I suppose.

truth wrote:
11. What are some flaws in the human body that an all powerful and loving God wouldent have placed in the first place.
Eye of the python and octopus, for example. Or that we can't produce our own vitamin C, unlike cows, resulting in generations of ignorant and unhappy sailors playing poker for their teeth. We have the gene, but it's out of the proper brackets.

truth wrote:
I don't know how, but I guess we inherited it from our animal ancestors. Homosexuality was observed in about a dozen of species of mammals, like elephants or dolphins. 

truth wrote:
 13. Are all of our exterior body parts made for survival/chosen by natural selection? For example our nose, fingernails, hair, etc.
Not necessarily, most of mutations don't do anything important and genes are also passed in groups.

truth wrote:
 14. How did kissing originate, why do we have an attraction towards the opposite gender? Males tend to have a desire towards boobs and a nice butt.  (An atheist comedian explained this in a funny way, he tells the story of Adam and Eve, the first thing Adam told Eve was, how did you get those lumps, lol)
I don't know how about kissing (makes me curious too) but the ass and hips area shows the ability to bear children easily and not die in the process when a nearest doctor is 30,000 years away. Boobs are important for succesfully feeding the baby. Flat stomach means the woman isn't already pregnant with someone else. So men evolved in such a way to be attracted towards these things. 
Why do we feel an attraction to the opposite gender? Because those who feel this attraction try harder to pass these genes forward.

truth wrote:
 15. Why are we all physically different (no 2 people look the same except twins) how does evolution explain this?
During every conception, there is a recombination of genes, which involve even recessive genes from ancestors. Some traits are inherited, but it's impossible to be identical, except of identical twins, who are all-natural clones. This recombination of genes is a way to produce new genetic information. Sex is a favorable method, because it provides more variety in changes of information than mere copying of genes, which would rely only on copy errors.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

truth
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:11. The

Nikolaj wrote:

11. The appendix? That's a strange question. Could you elaborate on why you wanna know this?

The more flaws/defects a human body has, the less likely a loving God created it. Also, so i can give some reasons to my C friends as to why an all powerful and loving God wouldent have created it in such a screwed up way.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
truth wrote:Nikolaj

truth wrote:

Nikolaj wrote:

The more flaws/defects a human body has, the less likely a loving God created it. Also, so i can give some reasons to my C friends as to why an all powerful and loving God wouldent have created it in such a screwed up way.

Actually, appendix has a function. It is a storage of useful colonal bacteria and also I think provides some function in conncection with hormonal system. This function however lasts only until about 40 years, after which the appendix is useless once again. This however is not an evolutionary problem, because our ancestors lived on average about 30 years.

But besides the mentioned reversed retinas and inability to produce vitamin C, we have - as all mammals - ridiculously long laryngeal nerve, which is a nuisance when doctors try to perform a heart surgery. (in guiraffes there is about 4-5 meters of useless extra nerve)

For more examples see this website. Be careful, some of the photographs are a little disturbing.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Quote:1. Have you ever had

Quote:

I have tons of voices in my head that frequently explain to me that if I don't eat yogurt after midnight, put shoes on my hands, wash with rubbing alcohol and beat the piss out of a used car Street Fighter 2 bonus round style, then I'll suffer an awful existence, but that's neither here nor there...

Quote:

I'd put on my purple suit, get out my pimp cain and stroll up to the boss and speak in my best Dolemite swagger and say "Yo, bitch, tell me sumthin'; fo' one thing, why 'da fuck are black people so hung up on 'dat chicken, mang?  I mean, sheeeeit, we can't get enuff of it!  We straight up cap a mutha fucka for a bucket of KFC; even the pieces that get tossed after it be closin'!  Damn, alright, yo, next, why in da FUUUUUCK did slavery go down??  That was straight up cold, playa!  You can't be disrespectin' our people!  We always be kickin' it sayin' you was maybe black and now we be all like DAAAAMN this nigga ain't even a color!  Still, yo, slavery was fucked up!  So, let me slide on this one to you, brotha; you like bitches, right?  Hell, I LOVES them bitches, but tell me 'dis...why in the hell you make it so hard fo' a playa to get his dick sucked??  I be pimpin' women since I was twenty and I STILL gotta be like ho, you goin' down on me or you ain't gettin' no green!  'Dat ain't right, playas gotta get us some tenderness and don't need to act a foo' in order to get some.  Man, I know I had five questions I could ask, but damn if I dun run out of shit to lay down on yo' ass.  Listen, I gots to get paid, my bitches been givin' me the boo-shit all fuckin' week so, I holla at ya later; cognac in cryst-aaaaal cups with 'da finest herb yous EVER gon' smoke.  Stay straight, big daddy!  Awwwwooooo!!!"  *drives off in pink Cadillac*

...WHAT?  I mean, that's kind of how I envision it...   

Quote:

Well, I'd imagine that you'd probably die after awhile if the hole is deep enough for you not to be able to crawl out of.  If it's a hole like the one Buffalo Bill had in his basement in Silence of the Lambs, then you'd be mega fucked and have to deal with lotion being lowered down in a basket while being barked at by a dog named Precious.  Oh, sorry, no foxholes are just shallow holes that you use to avoid mortar fire except instead of putting your combat prowess to the test, you're rolling the dice and hoping odds are in your favor that you won't be vaporized while you hunker down in the fetal position.  If you're religious, you pray and if you're not religious and your nerves are shot to the point where you sneak a "help me out up there," you're really just trying to make a futile attempt to increase your odds that the shell that hits your hole is a dud and not really trying to get assistance from god.  So, yeah... 

Quote:

We mostly play heavy metal, smoke weed, have sex, go clubbing, remain active, get a cat (no BBQing, damnit...) or playing video games LIKE A BAWSE.  You know, all the fun things zealots pretty much abhor.

Quote:

I'd straight up slap you and throw a stiff drink in your face.

Quote:

All the crayons in the cosmic container melted together.  Hey, you have to store those are room temperature.

Quote:

Imagination comes from the hidden LSD stockpile in our cerebellum that we utilize from time to time with the help of a subconscious Dr. Timothy Leary administering small doses depending on the artistic activity being attempted.  Creativity is when the LSD kicks in and we are given a few more tabs to really get the ball rolling.  Doubt is when we are offered said LSD and we hesitate while asking stupid questions like "Is this really what I want to do?  Why am I questioning my brain?  It's my fucking BRAIN.  I'm not crazy and nothing bad will happen so, why am I being a Debbie Downer?  I'm going to do some silly, abstract shit that the world hasn't seen yet and it'll be awesome no matter what because it came from my fucking THOUGHTS."  That's pretty much where all three originate.

Quote:

I'm pretty sure they went out to fancy dinners beforehand, the males got tired of paying for the females and noticed that the females didn't have a raging boner all the time.  They figured "well, they must have a hole for me to put this irritating, hard thing.  Have I been wasting my money for nothing?  Time to collect!"  So it began; the first EVER gang bang of Pangaea. 

Quote:

I believe the answer you're looking for is right through this curtain.  Yes, right through this- *CLONK*  "Alright, what do we do with this guy?  Truth serum?  Rub lye on his balls?"  "Oh, no no no...we have much bigger plans for this one..."  "You can't possibly mean-"  "Yes!  Give him...THE BRADY BUNCH MARATHON!  MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"  But seriously, both are a simple matter of how strong your grip is on not being sure or without hesitation. 

Quote:

Snooki from Jersey Shore.

Quote:

Those corners of your nails that you can't seem to clip no matter how accurate you are; they are still pokey and annoying.  Ingrown hair is another one.  Wisdom teeth, but those are already phased out in newborns.  Oh, and nipples on guys; seriously?  You can't milk me or anything.

Quote:

Two guys got tired of being rejected by snobby cunts, looked at each other, were oddly attracted to each other, realized they both had holes of some sort and went to town.  Similar story with lesbians; they got tired of alpha male pricks, looked at each other, were oddly attracted to each other, realized they had dildos AND more holes than a guy and went to town. 

Quote:

A nose smells of impending fast food for our sustenance, fingernails are excellent at picking our noses, hair is best used to look like an incredible douche bag if styled right to attract the shallowest opposite sex for possible procreation, skin is obviously used as an outlet for bad smelling perfume/cologne to be sprayed on and emit false pheromones, teeth are used to convey false pretenses or show humor when it isn't warranted (can sometimes be mistaken for a "I'm going to rape you" sinister demeanor) and I assume the remainder of our exterior is used to create fear in the hearts of savage animals that we may encounter in the wilderness after the nukes destroy 75% of the world's population; I thought that was obvious...?

Quote:

Kissing was used by women to spread herpes around during the early 15th century before they got pregnant because if they were exposed a little at a time, they were more likely to not lose their baby.  Weird theory, but the University of Leeds seems to think that it had something to do with this.  We have attraction because the other gender has invisible cookies that we are never given access to, but we hope they someday let their guard down just enough to get a piece.  We males enjoy the bewbs because it represents security and safety when we were younger and just like the va-jay-jay, we want to go back to that safe environment.

Quote:

Some of the clay used to make us was a little easier to manipulate than other pieces since some were left out in a warm setting so, as a result, we each might have certain disfigurements or indentations where the guy sculpting us took a drag on his cigarette and gave up after awhile because there wasn't anymore flexibility to work with.  The fucker didn't even bother trying to use water to moisten the material; what a dick... 

truth
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:truth

Luminon wrote:

truth wrote:

Nikolaj wrote:

Actually, appendix has a function. It is a storage of useful colonal bacteria and also I think provides some function in conncection with hormonal system. This function however lasts only until about 40 years, after which the appendix is useless once again. This however is not an evolutionary problem, because our ancestors lived on average about 30 years.

But besides the mentioned reversed retinas and inability to produce vitamin C, we have - as all mammals - ridiculously long laryngeal nerve, which is a nuisance when doctors try to perform a heart surgery. (in guiraffes there is about 4-5 meters of useless extra nerve)

For more examples see this website. Be careful, some of the photographs are a little disturbing.

Is the human tail for real dude? are some humans just born with a tail? can we blame it on a drug or something the parents took instead on evolution?

You mentioned our ancestors lived about 30 years ago, why do you think this is so? and why did we start living longer, how did we eventually live longer, did humans increase 1 year every 100 years or how did it work? can humans of the future expect to live to 1000 years? if im correct in the bible some of the folks lived a few hundred years like Abraham and whatnot.

I have a some questions if you dont mind.  Is it true that our ancestors spent their lives running from animals, and focusing merely on surviving? Why did dinosaurs become extinct? Can/could humans live with dinosaurs, co exist? If we were to travel in outer space, and reach the "end" of the universe/space what would we find, is there an end?

truth
atheist
User is offlineOffline
to: pimp

lol funny post    

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
truth wrote:Is the human

truth wrote:

Is the human tail for real dude? are some humans just born with a tail? can we blame it on a drug or something the parents took instead on evolution?

I'd say this is for real, accidents like fetal alcohol syndrome don't make new body parts, they just make malformations. And of course there are the vestigial muscles for moving ears and nose, some people can still use them a little.

truth wrote:
 You mentioned our ancestors lived about 30 years ago, why do you think this is so? and why did we start living longer, how did we eventually live longer, did humans increase 1 year every 100 years or how did it work? can humans of the future expect to live to 1000 years? if im correct in the bible some of the folks lived a few hundred years like Abraham and whatnot.
If I remember, records from the Egyptian times show human life on average about 30 years long. We live longer thanks to better nutrition, hygiene and above all - science. With advent of science, people started living about 30 years longer and they grew much taller on average. Also, average IQ is on the rise. All hail science!

As for Biblical records of centuries long life, I don't see how that's possible. I wouldn't trust the records, when they don't even include women into the lineages.

truth wrote:
 I have a some questions if you dont mind.  Is it true that our ancestors spent their lives running from animals, and focusing merely on surviving? Why did dinosaurs become extinct? Can/could humans live with dinosaurs, co exist?

Sure, ask away Smiling I don't know if our ancestors spent their lives running, but I'm pretty sure they weren't good at it. Some genetic evidence suggests that sometimes in our history humanity was reduced to mere thousands. Anyway, our ancestors probably had a culture, if we can judge from a separate branch of neanderthals, who were found to wear a colourful facial make-up and the frozen shaman from Ötz, who had some mushrooms in his pouch.

As for the extinction of dinosaurs, I don't see much esoteric purpose behind it and the meteor that finished them. Maybe the deinonychus would develop sentience, hard to tell. We can only speculate that mammals were better candidates, or that playing with plastic dinosaur toys in childhood is important for spiritual growth Smiling

Anyway, some esotericists describe that humans definitely could not coexist with big animals - maybe not dinosaurs, that doesn't fit the time, but the predators always considered "early animal men" a rare delicacy and easy prey and several times drove us almost to extinction. Which forced the lords of civilization to tamper with our sexual drive to increase our numbers. So we're pretty much always ready for procreation (not seasonally as other animals) which comes for a price of all the STDs and sexual crimes and perversions. So if anything, the animal kingdom has a karmic debt against us. We should treat animals well as long as they live, but they can't complain if we decide to eat them afterwards.

truth wrote:
 If we were to travel in outer space, and reach the "end" of the universe/space what would we find, is there an end?
That is better answered by a scientist, an astronomer or cosmologist. But there are multiple theories. We know that the universe expands by expanding the space itself. It's like pulling a rug under the stars, which fly forward with an additional speed. So probably, all the space there is, is within the universe and the universe is closed. But we normally won't notice that by plain sight, if the space is closed through some other dimensions.

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
truth wrote:You mentioned

truth wrote:

Remember, AVERAGE lifetime means people tended to die around 30 ON AVERAGE. That actually means for every person who died in infancy, someone else could live to 60. It's just an average, not a specific number, like a cutoff point.

Today, people in the western world often live for as long as the human body can manage before it deteriorates to a point where "Old age" is a potential life ender. Human beings can live to something like 100 to 120 years, but usually die from ilness or accident before that. In the stoneage EVERYONE died from ilness or accident before that, because nutrition and medicine was so much worse, and safety from accidents or violence was practically non-existant. So in theory the psysical bodies of stone age people were as robust, or almost as robust, as yours and mine, but they lived much more dangerous lives. They could die from disease since even the most simple infection, which you can just take penicillin for today, could kill you, and you could die from cold in the winter, and starvation at any time there wasn't any food to be found. Just imagine falling and breaking your leg today... A bummer, to be sure, but you just go to the hospital and after a couple of months on crutches, you are right as rain. Meanwhile, of you live in the stoneage, you can't run from a lion, you can't help your tribe collect food, and they might be so desperate for food that they have to leave you behind. You can get internal bleeding due to the fracture, which a surgeon today could easily fix in a matter of hours, but back then it can cause your leg to die, or you could get an infection et.c et.c. And finally there's tribal warfare. Some estimates say that 1 in 3 of all men died before the age of 25 die to violence from other humans in the earliest days of human civilisation.

So it's not that our bodies have evolved very much since the stoneage (allthough a few things, like height for example, has changed a little) it is just that society has become safer, especially in terms of having enough food, protection from cold and heat (air condition and central heating) and safety from violence.

truth wrote:

I have a some questions if you dont mind.  Is it true that our ancestors spent their lives running from animals, and focusing merely on surviving?

Well, I've explained alot of that above, but just think about it. Imagine living as you do, in Chicago, except the city isn't there, and you have no tools or technology. Just your naked body and your hands. How easy do you think it would be to survive? Wolves, bears and mountain lions are a threat (the only reason you don't ever see them where you live is because Chicago is there, but if it was just the wilderness that was there before, there could be lots of predators), but animals aren't really the biggest threat. Just think of the winter you've just been through. I don't know how cold it got in Chicago, and how much it snowed this year, but just imagine having to live through it with nothing but an animal skin and maybe a primitive tent to protect you from it. Not to mention the lack of food, since plants mostly grow in the summer. Just imagine that, and I'm sure you can understand our ancestors had it rough.

truth wrote:

Why did dinosaurs become extinct? Can/could humans live with dinosaurs, co exist?

The most commonly held theory is that the earth was struck by a large meteor approximately 65 million years ago. As with all science, we can never be sure, but this is a very well established theory by now. What we expect happened is that the explosion from the impact threw so much ash into the atmophere that the entire earth became covered in a twillight-like darkness for many many years. I don't know how dark this would actually look, it sound quite dramatic, but maybe it would just be like very early evening.

But it was enough that all the plants on the earth, who were used to much more sunlight, started to die off in great numbers. Of course they didn't all die, otherwise there would be no plants today, but enough of the plant population suffered so greatly, that the plant eating dinosaurs started to die from starvation, and then the meat eating dinosaurs had nothing to eat so they died too. Mammals at the time must have suffered to, but the only mammals around at the time where small rodent like creatures, so they didn't need to eat as much, and could reproduce much quicker, so while many probably died many new ones could still take their place. When the earth started to recover from the ash cloud, plant life came back quickly, but by then the dinosaurs were either allready dead, or so few in number they could not find enough others to reproduce with and thus died out. Meanwhile the small mammals now had the earth to themselves (well ofcourse there were fish, plants and small reptiles too, but you know what I mean), so they quickly flourished and evolved into many different species, like mammoths, sabertooth cats, monkies and apes (some of which became us eventually Smiling ).

Interestingly, paleontologists today are pretty sure it was actually only the biggest dinosaurs, the ones we know from Jurassic Park and the like, who died out, and that the smaller ones, better equipped to survive the violent climate change the meteor caused as they were, survived too, and evolved into the birds we know today. So really, humans and dinosaurs DO co-exist. There's a family of dinosaurs living in a tree outside my bedroom window actually: they are Magpie dinosaurs to be specific Smiling

truth wrote:

If we were to travel in outer space, and reach the "end" of the universe/space what would we find, is there an end?

Cosmology is some heavy shit, and involves alot of math stuff that I don't really get, but like Luminion said, there are many theories, and they are hard to fathom, most of them. He does a better job of explaining it than I do, but at any rate, even though it sounds counter intuitive, maybe there ISN'T really an egde at all. Maybe if we keep going in one direction, we'll end up just where we started, just like if you travel around the earth, you'll do the same. That must have seemed weird to imagine for a Stone age man, but for us it's easy to understand: we live on a ball after all Smiling And maybe people in the future will be better able to understand the psysics involved in the way the universe is, and then to them it won't be so strange to understand that the universe doesn't have an edge at all.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

truth
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote: I CANNOT

Nikolaj wrote:

I CANNOT believe zombies are real, even if I wanted to, because I know too much about biology.  

From a biology point of a view, what things have you learned that point towards a hostile universe instead of a loving god. I'm not looking for an atheistic point of view, but rather a biology point of view. I dont know any other way to put it. I hope i made myself clear.

truth
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote: Well, I've

Nikolaj wrote:

Well, I've explained alot of that above, but just think about it. Imagine living as you do, in Chicago, except the city isn't there, and you have no tools or technology. Just your naked body and your hands. How easy do you think it would be to survive? Wolves, bears and mountain lions are a threat (the only reason you don't ever see them where you live is because Chicago is there, but if it was just the wilderness that was there before, there could be lots of predators), but animals aren't really the biggest threat. Just think of the winter you've just been through. I don't know how cold it got in Chicago, and how much it snowed this year, but just imagine having to live through it with nothing but an animal skin and maybe a primitive tent to protect you from it. Not to mention the lack of food, since plants mostly grow in the summer. Just imagine that, and I'm sure you can understand our ancestors had it rough.

That's more than rough that's insanely rough. If I was in that situation, I think I would die because it's not possible to survive certain Chicago winters with the stuff you mentioned. Even with a jacket we'd be dead, but an animal skin dam. I think everyone that lived in Chicago back then simply died because it's not possible to survive the harshness that is, a Chicago winter. 

truth
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:We live longer

Luminon wrote:

We live longer thanks to better nutrition, hygiene and above all - science. With advent of science, people started living about 30 years longer and they grew much taller on average. Also, average IQ is on the rise. All hail science!

More like hail GOD, joking...lol

What was the specific reason why they grew taller, is it possible in the future humans will grow much taller than now?

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eclectic

truth wrote:

1. As a child, but puberty cured it.

2. Why the Jews?, Didn't you see the snake coming?, What is the deal with the obsession with penises? A drunk and his three perverted kids were the best you could do on the ark? You set up your own death by Roman, so why did you blather about forsaking yourself when it worked?

3. There was always one Atheist in my fucking foxhole.

4. I draw on myself, my family and friends... real sources.

5. Were you afraid, in pain or anything like it in the year 1890? Then why fear the same state which you will be in in 2090 (or so)? Why fear non existence?

6. Genetic drift modified through natural selection. Racial differences are largely cosmetic, like the differences between brown rabbits and white rabbits.

7. Higher functions of the human brain. The mind is an emergent phenomena of the brain.

8. The same way their ape ancestors did. 

9. Atheism is a lack of belief, nothing to do with logic in the formal sense, Agnosticism is philosophic in nature, dealing with what we know, thus Agnosticism has more to do with logic per se'.

10. If evolution is harsh, it's because it's NOT a directed process, but rather cold, logical and mathematical. However, since evolution tends to work toward survival, it would be hard to catagorize it as 'harsh'.

11. The playground next to the waste disposal plant comes to mind... the breathing tube next to the eating tube one blocking the other. REALLY bad eyesight. Ageing. Disease. I could go on.

12. Lack of women? (or men, let's not be sexist)... seriously, our ancestors in many cultures seemed to be FAR more tolerant than we christian influenced people are today. 

13. Yes.

14. Two completely different lines of thought. Kissing, we taste, and feel with out lips just as our fellow primates do. We like the sensation of kissing and in fact, the exchange of hormones and pheramones through saliva is a physiological turn on...

15. Minor changes in genetic structure, in point of fact, if we all DID look alike, it would be a point against evolution.

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
truth wrote:More like hail

truth wrote:

More like hail GOD, joking...lol

What was the specific reason why they grew taller, is it possible in the future humans will grow much taller than now?

Nutrition during childhood and puberty makes a lot of difference. But there may be many other factors. For example, in medieval ages there was a widespread use of lead water pipes and tin dishes and utensils. They're a little poisonous and maybe that interfered with our endocrine glands. Just ceasing to poison ourselves all the time with heavy metals might give us enough health to grow up a few more centimeters.

I had read a theory somewhere, that the Roman empire was destroyed by lead pipes. They carried water to palaces and the lead in water caused the emperors' sterility. There were no heirs of the empire, so people fought for the throne. The Roman empire got weakened by internal wars and became an easy target for Mongolian hordes. Or something like that.

I don't know if we'll grow further. It is true that slightly taller people than average are on average more confident and get better jobs and more women, and that short people don't enjoy such benefits. So it's possible, only much slower, as a product of natural evolution. I can't complain with my average height, although two more inches would really come handy.

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
1. No. However I have had an

1. No. However I have had an inner or innate belief that there is more to reality than what meets the eye. There is a connection to something bigger than "us" and there is a continuity of the conscient process.

2. Does it have to be the Christian God? Cause I don't believe in him. Ok....

1 What parts of the Bible are true accounts and what are false?

2 If you are all powerful; all loving and all knowing why do you permit suffering?

3 Why do you purposely hide yourself, very effectivelly, from creation thus allowing neverending debates between theists and atheists?

4 What am I suppose to do?

5 How could conciliate the fact that quantum mechanics is random and thus unpredictable with your quality of All-knowing?

3. Yes, very few atheists (including self proclaimed agnostics) are in the foxhole.... but wouldn't say NONE.

4. I suppose an atheist turns to himself and his abilities to try to escape from the hardship. But this is actually what many theists do as well.

5. I would show him NDE and research about it showing him there is no such thing as eternal damnation or death.

6. Race is small genome deviations on the human species.

7. Human intellect

8. The same way other animals do it - Instinct and watching others do it.

9. Agnosticism because it doesn't pressuposes anything.

10. I go with Luminon answer: "It's evolution through natural selection. The naturally unselected individuals, the ones unfit or not adapted enough simply die. That's harsh enough, I suppose."

11. The flaw of the human body is that it has to obey the physical laws!

12. It originates exclusively from genetic traits. The other forms of homosexuality are not homosexuality... they are just sex.

13. I don't know... but I think so... yes

14. Kissing probably originated when we started to do frontal sex and because kissing allows for a more intimate relationship. We have a big concentration of nervous terminations in our mouths. We have an attraction for the opposite sex because that benefits species propagation.

15. We have genetic variability that allows our species to adapt to different situations, if there was no genetic differences and we were all the same that would prevent the species from adapting.

Zaq
atheist
Zaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
1. No2.-Why are you so

1. No

-Why are you so evil?
-Is there a grand unified theory, and if so, what is it?
-Can you solve the halting problem?
-Why are so many of your supposed followers so evil?
-Why haven't you stepped in to correct the evil followers?

3. If there weren't we wouldn't have any need for "don't ask don't tell."

4. Friends, willpower, and getting shit done

5. Explain that hell is simply the church's way to try and scare you into obedience.  Do't be a sucker

6. Genetic mutation.  But furthermore, even an individual "white person" is not the same color in different seasons.  They tend to be a bit darker in the summer and paler inthe winter, due to the difference in how much sunlight they get.

7. Your brain

8. Same way the monkeys did, instinct

9. False dichotomy.  Agnosticism = can't know.  Atheism = don't believe.  You can lack believe in gods while aslo asserting that you can't have very high certainty about whether or not gods exist.  But in the spirit of answering things, nearly-gnostic atheism (it his highly unlikely that any gods exist) is the most rational.

10. The dodo bird, the dinosaurs, pregnancy

11. The appendix, using the same pathway for food and air (so that choking happens), using the pelvis instead of a natural c-section for birth, brains with finite processing speed (this god is omnipotent, right?), inability to fly, lack of psychic powers, mortality, suffering

12. I have no idea

13. We have evolved to be capable of having grandchildren with relatively high probability, though we are by no means otimized

13. I have no idea how kissing originated, but it seems clear that we have an attraction to the oppposite gener because we reproduce sexually.

15. With the exception of identical twins, we all have different genes.  We also have different eating habits growing up, different environments, different illnesses at different times, etc.  All of these can affect growth.

Questions for Theists:
http://silverskeptic.blogspot.com/2011/03/consistent-standards.html

I'm a bit of a lurker. Every now and then I will come out of my cave with a flurry of activity. Then the Ph.D. program calls and I must fall back to the shadows.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
1: No. 2: Why? I'd reserve

1: No.
2: Why? I'd reserve the other 4 until the first was answered.
3: No.
4: Friends, family, oneself.
5: I'd refer you to any and all posts I've written on the subject of death. If it didn't help, I'd have nothing to offer. Ultimately, fear can only be conquered by those experiencing it.
6: We aren't all the same colour because we aren't all living in the same climate. Put a white city in Africa on the equator, isolate it, wait 3 - 4 generations, and you have a black city.
7: The brain.
8: Intercourse became a prevailing method of reproduction millions of years before mammals existed. The only humans who ever had a problem were either retarded or educated with lies.
9: They are effectively the same thing. Neither position is more logical.
10: Harsh is subjective.
11: The tailbone. Wisdom teeth. Down-turned nose. Excessive emotions. Excessive aggression. Cognitive limitations. etc.
12: It's likely existed as long as heterosexuality.
13+: Too complicated to get into.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
1 - No and I believe no one

1 - No and I believe no one has; because we are all brain washed in to the story of their being a god.

2 - God doesn't exist, never did, never will

3 - No it isn't true. I was in the USMC.

4 - I rationalize

5 - Learn to detach from what you have been taught. It was all a lie from people who didn't know any better.

6 - Genetics

7 - imagination comes from genetics and your environment

creativity is the same

doubt is the same

8 - Actually a really good question but to answer it would take more knowledge than I currently have; many learned from their parents or watching others.

However, when did the first penis and first vagina based sex happen? That is a better question.

9 - Atheism. It rationalizes. Agnostic does not.

10 - define harsh?

11 - please. I'll give you one. being able to survive under conditions other than oxygen/temperate environments

12 - see #6

13 - no, not needed for survival... but given our current society many are over looked

14 - how did sucking cock originate? kissing? really? how did rubbing noses originate?

hormones, pheromones, not all guys like big, some like small, some like tall... etc. genetics

15 - twins are not exactly alike... 

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

truth wrote:

Inherently false as only one and male are from a particular tradition that has only been enforced by political power. Clearly many gods is the norm. But the single god idea was first produced by the Greeks who held the single primary god was unknowable. The other gods were knowable aspects of that single god.

That said, yes there is something in most all of us which indicates there is something more but no hint of what that is beyond a feeling. However that feeling is what is used by priests to demand obedience to what they claim is the will of their god. That is the difference between religion and the feeling.

Quote:

The first question would be Does anyone speak for you? If Yes then who? If named then are they getting it right? And so forth. A no to the first question leads to a Thank you for your time and sorry to have bothered you.

Quote:

I once read a study of the claim and the conclusion was that it was false based upon asking the people who have been in that situation. In any event the saying is attributed to someone who was never in foxhole.

Quote:

Many atheists came to be such because god and religion failed to deliver. Blame the victim, failure of god to respond is the fault of the petitioner, is rejected as a legitimate excuse.

Quote:

Believers Anonymous? Twelve step program? Recovering Christian? What are you looking for? Bottom line we are all on our own. Suck it up and get on with life. Nothing has changed. You do not behave any different. Other than the belief and god parts your actions are quite reasonable or the police have not caught you yet.

Other than a mess of annoying things upon which the gospels are silent that which is sinful is also illegal. So if you are not involved in a life of crime you are not sinning.

Quote:

What does this have to do with religion? It is impossible to have arisen from the Noah story. If really interested google it. There are only a few theories none of which are interesting.

Quote:

Part of the human condition. What brings you to ask the question? Who told you a soul was necessary for those and why did you believe them?

Quote:

My manual said, insert tab A in slot B.

Quote:

What does harsh mean? It is what it is.

Quote:

Do you wear glasses?

Quote:

Not from temptation by the devil.

Quote:

How else? Keep in mind neutral differences, those which have no effect on survival, also propagate.

Quote:

Explain rather how grossly obese women some places in Africa are the most desirable.

My explanation? They are female. I don't really need to give anything any particular merit.

Quote:

google allele

All sperm and eggs are different from the same person.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

truth wrote:

Inherently false as only one and male are from a particular tradition that has only been enforced by political power. Clearly many gods is the norm. But the single god idea was first produced by the Greeks who held the single primary god was unknowable. The other gods were knowable aspects of that single god.

That said, yes there is something in most all of us which indicates there is something more but no hint of what that is beyond a feeling. However that feeling is what is used by priests to demand obedience to what they claim is the will of their god. That is the difference between religion and the feeling.

Quote:

The first question would be Does anyone speak for you? If Yes then who? If named then are they getting it right? And so forth. A no to the first question leads to a Thank you for your time and sorry to have bothered you.

Quote:

I once read a study of the claim and the conclusion was that it was false based upon asking the people who have been in that situation. In any event the saying is attributed to someone who was never in foxhole.

Quote:

Many atheists came to be such because god and religion failed to deliver. Blame the victim, failure of god to respond is the fault of the petitioner, is rejected as a legitimate excuse.

Quote:

Believers Anonymous? Twelve step program? Recovering Christian? What are you looking for? Bottom line we are all on our own. Suck it up and get on with life. Nothing has changed. You do not behave any different. Other than the belief and god parts your actions are quite reasonable or the police have not caught you yet.

Other than a mess of annoying things upon which the gospels are silent that which is sinful is also illegal. So if you are not involved in a life of crime you are not sinning.

Quote:

What does this have to do with religion? It is impossible to have arisen from the Noah story. If really interested google it. There are only a few theories none of which are interesting.

Quote:

Part of the human condition. What brings you to ask the question? Who told you a soul was necessary for those and why did you believe them?

Quote:

My manual said, insert tab A in slot B.

Quote:

What does harsh mean? It is what it is.

Quote:

Do you wear glasses?

Quote:

Not from temptation by the devil.

Quote:

How else? Keep in mind neutral differences, those which have no effect on survival, also propagate.

Quote:

Explain rather how grossly obese women some places in Africa are the most desirable.

My explanation? They are female. I don't really need to give anything any particular merit.

Quote:

google allele

All sperm and eggs are different from the same person.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

ax
Theist
ax's picture
User is offlineOffline
The answers to your questions are within the field of..

truth wrote:

1. Have you ever had an innate or inner belief that a God exists? For example, a voice inside you telling you that God exists. "You dont have to use reason or logic because God has implanted in all humans an innate belief in him" ?

2. If you could ask God (To be more specific, were talking about the Christian God) 5 questions, what would they be?

5. How would you help an ex Christian (I myself am an example of this) who still carries some baggage, deal with their irrational fear of hell and death?

13. Are all of our exterior body parts made for survival/chosen by natural selection? For example our nose, fingernails, hair, etc.

14. How did kissing originate, why do we have an attraction towards the opposite gender? Males tend to have a desire towards boobs and a nice butt.  (An atheist comedian explained this in a funny way, he tells the story of Adam and Eve, the first thing Adam told Eve was, how did you get those lumps, lol)

15. Why are we all physically different (no 2 people look the same except twins) how does evolution explain this?

1. Psychology (intuition) and Biology (instinct)

2. Philosophy and Theology

3. Psychology (on phobias)

4. Social Science

5. Psychology (on phobias)

6. Biology (genetics and evolution)

7. Neuroscience

8. Anthropology and Biology

9. Philosophy (epistemology and logic)

10. Anthropology and Biology

11. Biology (genetics and evolution)

12. Psychology, Anthropology and Social Science

13. Biology and Anthropology

14. Biology, Psychology and Anthropology

15. Biology (genetics and evolution)

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
ax wrote:truth wrote:1. Have

ax wrote:

truth wrote:

1. Have you ever had an innate or inner belief that a God exists? For example, a voice inside you telling you that God exists. "You dont have to use reason or logic because God has implanted in all humans an innate belief in him" ?

2. If you could ask God (To be more specific, were talking about the Christian God) 5 questions, what would they be?

5. How would you help an ex Christian (I myself am an example of this) who still carries some baggage, deal with their irrational fear of hell and death?

13. Are all of our exterior body parts made for survival/chosen by natural selection? For example our nose, fingernails, hair, etc.

14. How did kissing originate, why do we have an attraction towards the opposite gender? Males tend to have a desire towards boobs and a nice butt.  (An atheist comedian explained this in a funny way, he tells the story of Adam and Eve, the first thing Adam told Eve was, how did you get those lumps, lol)

15. Why are we all physically different (no 2 people look the same except twins) how does evolution explain this?

1. Psychology (intuition) and Biology (instinct)

2. Philosophy and Theology

3. Psychology (on phobias)

4. Social Science

5. Psychology (on phobias)

6. Biology (genetics and evolution)

7. Neuroscience

8. Anthropology and Biology

9. Philosophy (epistemology and logic)

10. Anthropology and Biology

11. Biology (genetics and evolution)

12. Psychology, Anthropology and Social Science

13. Biology and Anthropology

14. Biology, Psychology and Anthropology

15. Biology (genetics and evolution)

In other words, no God is required as an explanation. One doesn't even need an uncaused Creator.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin