Hi I'm New

JeanChauvinSOCK...
TheistTroll
JeanChauvinSOCKPUPPET's picture
Posts: 11
Joined: 2012-03-03
User is offlineOffline
Hi I'm New

I'm New What to Do?

I've been reading posts on here for a while and I guess I need some advice. I was hoping you could advise me on whether I should be a theist or an atheist or agnostic or satanist or whatever. 

If you could help me, what religion would you recommend for me? The religion of atheism seems interesting, after all you can boink a tree and then hug it to tell the environment how you love it so. But why would I want to boink trees? Is there anything other then this that one can do as an atheist?

I could be a Muslim. But then when I have kids, you know how it is, kids blow up so fast. That would be hard.

So basically if you could give me a logical reason as to what religion to embrace I would appreciate it. Much Obliged to you all.

So Mote It Be,

Joachim Vadian


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4282
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is onlineOnline
 

 

It was morality that burned the books of the ancient sages, and morality that halted the free inquiry of the Golden Age and substituted for it the credulous imbecility of the Age of Faith. It was a fixed moral code and a fixed theology which robbed the human race of a thousand years by wasting them upon alchemy, heretic-burning, witchcraft and sacerdotalism.-H.L. Mencken


tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
Posts: 482
Joined: 2012-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Did you say "boink"??? 

Did you say "boink"???  uhuhu  huuhuhhuu uhuhuhhu uhuhuuhhhuu hu..........hu           I think the hairy christians are still recruiting.

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia


pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
Posts: 2482
Joined: 2008-02-26
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

Joachim Vadian wrote:

I'm New What to Do?

I've been reading posts on here for a while and I guess I need some advice. I was hoping you could advise me on whether I should be a theist or an atheist or agnostic or satanist or whatever. 

If you could help me, what religion would you recommend for me? The religion of atheism seems interesting, after all you can boink a tree and then hug it to tell the environment how you love it so. But why would I want to boink trees? Is there anything other then this that one can do as an atheist?

I could be a Muslim. But then when I have kids, you know how it is, kids blow up so fast. That would be hard.

So basically if you could give me a logical reason as to what religion to embrace I would appreciate it. Much Obliged to you all.

So Mote It Be,

Joachim Vadian

 

Welcome, Joachim

 

Yes it's so hard these days to decide on what myths we should pretend are real.

Are the Annuanki the True Gods of the Universe?

Is it the Yahweh?

Is it the Allah?

Or perhaps Zeus and his cohorts?

Perhaps it is just Gaia?

I would suggest the following book in helping you choose the myth that most fits your life style:

THE SAVVY CONVERTS GUIDE TO CHOOSING A RELIGION available at Amazon.

Click on any book advertised on this site and when you get to Amazon's site paste the title into the search box.

I was given this book by one of my relatives who knew of my lack of beliefs in the gods developed by man.

Fantasies are so hard to choose.

____________________________________________________________
"I guess it's time to ask if you live under high voltage power transmission lines which have been shown to cause stimulation of the fantasy centers of the brain due to electromagnetic waves?" - Me

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13405
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
Joachim Vadian wrote:I'm New

Joachim Vadian wrote:

I'm New What to Do?

I've been reading posts on here for a while and I guess I need some advice. I was hoping you could advise me on whether I should be a theist or an atheist or agnostic or satanist or whatever. 

If you could help me, what religion would you recommend for me? The religion of atheism seems interesting, after all you can boink a tree and then hug it to tell the environment how you love it so. But why would I want to boink trees? Is there anything other then this that one can do as an atheist?

I could be a Muslim. But then when I have kids, you know how it is, kids blow up so fast. That would be hard.

So basically if you could give me a logical reason as to what religion to embrace I would appreciate it. Much Obliged to you all.

So Mote It Be,

Joachim Vadian

Wow, I really don't know what to say about this other than this is the first time ever I have seen a question like this.

We are not you, so we cant decide for you what position you take.

HOWEVER, we can tell you a better path to take when deciding.

1. Don't believe everything you read, hear or see just because it sounds nice.

2. Be willing to do research and be willing to give up on bad data when proven wrong. There is nothing wrong with admitting when one is wrong, that is how one learns in life.

Having said that, I can only speak for myself as far as my own position.

Why don't I buy any god belief or superstition?

All labels and holy books aside, it is simple.

Nothing outside biological evolution has the capability of thought, Thoughts are not things, but a word humans use to describe the outcome of mental processes. Much like "running" is not a thing, but the result of moving your material legs faster and faster in a forward motion.

If you can accept that the claims of others are mere myth, we would say that we reject all myth for that same reason. Humans make up gods.

Suggested reading and terms you should learn.

1. Why People Believe Weird Things, Micheal Shermer

2. The New Atheism, Victor Stinger

3. The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins

Terms you should know.

1. The problem with "Infinite regress"

2. The fallacy of Pascal's Wager

3. Bentrand Russell's "teapot"

4. Fallacy argument from "complexity"

5. Burden of proof, the fallacy of "Prove it isn't true"

6. Ocham's Razor "Out of many different guesses as answers to a problem, the one with the least baggage is the most likely answer"

You sound young. We are not here to lead you. You determine your own path. We can only tell you what we have done ourselves, and advise you on the land mines of use of bad logic that leads many to false conclusions.

Educate yourself and DONT take anyone's word for it. What I listed above took me 10 years, and that is not the complete list of stuff I have read. Ultimately you can only be yourself, and you are the one who has to live with you.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7522
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Pick the religion of

Pick the religion of Christianity.  It's so great because it promotes the idea of you lying to yourself, wasting the only life you get on a non-sensical concept, and it only takes 10% of your money for it.

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


JeanChauvinSOCK...
TheistTroll
JeanChauvinSOCKPUPPET's picture
Posts: 11
Joined: 2012-03-03
User is offlineOffline
Thank You

Well You all had "intereesting" thoughts. Brian you were thoughtful thank you. You seem like a nice person. So basically you became an atheist because you decided that evolutionary thinking is the only thing that is right and thus is the foundation for your thinking?

I have heard of the non atheist side to this. There are various views of creationisn. young earth, progressive, old earth, theistic evolution, and my favorite, the aliens did it.

I believe the fundalmentalists prescribe to the young earth. Has this truly been disproven?

On the flip side, there are different kinds of evolution. For example, theistic evolution like above fits in both categories, there's the pre-darwinian like George Cuvier and actually as early as the Stoics has a kind of evolutionary theory. There's a kind of Lamark which believe for example that evolution was dependant completely on environment which was not totally classical Darwinism. Then you have Neo-Darwinism, etc.

For example, 20 years ago evolutionists would dogmatically opposed to anything catastrophism. In fact, in studying the scab lands in the Pacific Northwest, catastrophy was issued and the person who even thought of it was ultimately humilitaed for even thinking about it. Everything must no matter what be within the uniformitarian framework.

However recently, with various geologicail creationists doing primary work, NOW evolutionist are considering catastrophy instead of uniformitarianism. This has cause a shism in the evolutionary movement and now we have two theories that hate eachother.

I'm not saying I subscribe to this, just relaying the history of things. So when you say you have evolution as the only frame work, what kind of evolution are you talking about.

And if your answer is whatever is the most recent up to date scientifically approved data up there, then that would be catastrophism slowly winning out Unitarianiam in Evolution circiles.

Which goes back to Creationism since they have been scoffed from the beginning since this is so non Lyell thinking.

So Evolution as a theory as been weakened and Christaintiy has been strengthed a result.

But again Brian, i'm not prescribing to any of them per sa, just need direction. If you could get a little more specific with evolution being your framework for everything and anything I'd appreciate it it.

Thank you.


Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
Posts: 1211
Joined: 2010-11-19
User is offlineOffline
Hi

Hi,

I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. You might need to check those IP addresses again. The computer I use is a public work computer I have in my office, but whatever the case, check them again because I have no idea who Joachim Vadian is. He's to wimpy to be somebody like me anyway.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13405
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
Jean Chauvin wrote:Hi,I have

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Hi,

I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. You might need to check those IP addresses again. The computer I use is a public work computer I have in my office, but whatever the case, check them again because I have no idea who Joachim Vadian is. He's to wimpy to be somebody like me anyway.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

No sane person wants to be an idiot who blames the Japanese Tsunami on America not sucking up to your god. 13,000 people died.

Go take your meds.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: 

Beyond Saving wrote:

 

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Poor guy didn't even make it

Poor guy didn't even make it to post #12.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4282
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is onlineOnline
  

 

Kapkao wrote:

 

 

 

 

It was morality that burned the books of the ancient sages, and morality that halted the free inquiry of the Golden Age and substituted for it the credulous imbecility of the Age of Faith. It was a fixed moral code and a fixed theology which robbed the human race of a thousand years by wasting them upon alchemy, heretic-burning, witchcraft and sacerdotalism.-H.L. Mencken


tonyjeffers
tonyjeffers's picture
Posts: 482
Joined: 2012-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Jean Joachim Jean

JeanChauvinSOCKPUPPET wrote:

I'm New What to Do?

I've been reading posts on here for a while and I guess I need some advice. I was hoping you could advise me on whether I should be a theist or an atheist or agnostic or satanist or whatever. 

If you could help me, what religion would you recommend for me? The religion of atheism seems interesting, after all you can boink a tree and then hug it to tell the environment how you love it so. But why would I want to boink trees? Is there anything other then this that one can do as an atheist?

I could be a Muslim. But then when I have kids, you know how it is, kids blow up so fast. That would be hard.

So basically if you could give me a logical reason as to what religion to embrace I would appreciate it. Much Obliged to you all.

So Mote It Be,

Joachim Vadian

Hello Jean Chauvin a.k.a. Joachim Validian exalted ruler of the Theistards and humble servant to our Lord and Savior Jesus Harold Christ. Amen.

I found it. Here's your other fake "Hi I'm new" post.

 

"...but truth is a point of view, and so it is changeable. And to rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another world is just as base as to use force." -Hypatia