Mindful Eating

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mindful Eating

When I was a young boy I eat food like there was no tomorrow. I could plow through a Big Mac, large fry, large shake and a apple pie before any one else in my family was finished with their first bite. When I joined the USMC I learned to eat faster because we were conditioned to be in combat situations. When I was done with all my youthful experiences, I settled down to a life of mellow living but forgetting that my eating habits were not made for sedentary life.

My weight doubled over the years and it wasn't until my Buddhist training which brought me to mindfulness of all my thoughts, actions and words. I had to re-learn how to eat, forgetting the impulsive shoveling of food in a hurry to get done. It took many years but eventually I learned to savor my food and to take my time. Eventually I lost all the weight but the battle was a very long and difficult road. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/dining/mindful-eating-as-food-for-thought.html

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Mod - I wish there was an

Mod - I wish there was an edit for these posts.

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Do you need to be more

Do you need to be more mindful as you type?  

I don't see any edit for OP, only subsequent comments. So I feel your pain. 

It is a challenge for me as well in regards to eating. I really like eating while I watch TV, probably from years going to movies. But what I do now is have foods that are low calories but with lots of bulk. I have been eating some great low calorie spicy soups with lots of liquid from Thai & Chinese restaurants. I also make big salads without any dressing. Old habits are hard to break.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 If you slow down too much

If you slow down too much you might realize the food you're eating tastes like crap. Next thing you know you're spending hours cooking, maybe even growing your own veggies and slaughtering your own meat. I spend a fairly good portion of my life preparing and eating food; it is one of my favorite hobbies. It involves a time commitment that most people probably aren't willing to make. 25-30 chews seems a little overkill, after that many chews the consistency of the food would probably make me gag... But it is definitely worthwhile to slow down and truly enjoy your food. 

Add drinks in to that as well. I have to slam my coffee on occasion but for the most part I enjoy spending two to three hours every morning actually enjoying it. And I think it is a lot more fun to savor a couple of craft beers rather than drain a six pack of piss lite. You might pay more for the good stuff but if you're slowing down and enjoying it you will find yourself drinking less which can be easier on your budget, your waistline and your liver. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Quote:If you slow down too

Quote:
If you slow down too much you might realize the food you're eating tastes like crap. Next thing you know you're spending hours cooking, maybe even growing your own veggies and slaughtering your own meat. I spend a fairly good portion of my life preparing and eating food; it is one of my favorite hobbies. It involves a time commitment that most people probably aren't willing to make. 25-30 chews seems a little overkill, after that many chews the consistency of the food would probably make me gag... But it is definitely worthwhile to slow down and truly enjoy your food.

If you take a bite and it tastes like garbage, your taste buds will pick up on it immediately unless you're starving and then your body won't give a flying fuck what you put in your mouth short of something with mold or emanating a rotten smell.  Just because you spend the time cultivating your food or taking the time to cook doesn't mean it'll be like some kind of oral orgasm if you slow down.  You could be an awful chef and what you made could be on par with what you would get in a soup kitchen in downtown L.A. during a famine.  If you have self-control, you will be able to savor your food just the same as if you were doing that outdated "rules of eating" stuff.  Besides all that, your body craves sustenance; it doesn't care if you act like a family of wasps and discuss global economics while casually biting into your steak and taking small, fingernail-sized portions at a time.    

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Subscribe, then learn

Subscribe, then learn

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
RE: Happier times

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote: Do you

ex-minister wrote:

Do you need to be more mindful as you type?  

I don't see any edit for OP, only subsequent comments. So I feel your pain. 

It is a challenge for me as well in regards to eating. I really like eating while I watch TV, probably from years going to movies. But what I do now is have foods that are low calories but with lots of bulk. I have been eating some great low calorie spicy soups with lots of liquid from Thai & Chinese restaurants. I also make big salads without any dressing. Old habits are hard to break.

Believe me. Being mindful of every thing is a full time job. Unfortunately I'm always in a hurry to do stuff and lately with the 550 errors I've been getting from this website are really tiresome. Having to refresh, reload or start from scratch when I lose a post is a real downer.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Subscribe, then

Kapkao wrote:

Subscribe, then learn

I started the post so I was automatically subscribed. Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no edit for the first post.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Sage_Override wrote:Quote:If

Sage_Override wrote:

Quote:

If you take a bite and it tastes like garbage, your taste buds will pick up on it immediately unless you're starving and then your body won't give a flying fuck what you put in your mouth short of something with mold or emanating a rotten smell.  Just because you spend the time cultivating your food or taking the time to cook doesn't mean it'll be like some kind of oral orgasm if you slow down.  You could be an awful chef and what you made could be on par with what you would get in a soup kitchen in downtown L.A. during a famine.  If you have self-control, you will be able to savor your food just the same as if you were doing that outdated "rules of eating" stuff.  Besides all that, your body craves sustenance; it doesn't care if you act like a family of wasps and discuss global economics while casually biting into your steak and taking small, fingernail-sized portions at a time. 

Many of you might be familiar with this story...

Last Friday when I left work the boss had ordered pizza. It was from Papa Johns.

The pizza ended up sitting out on the table, at room temperature, but covered by the box lids until Monday morning.

On Monday morning a few guys came in to the office, saw the pizza and ate a few slices.

Several women in the office complained saying that they would get sick, but the pizza, even though it was slightly dried out, still was edible. No one got sick.

So it made me think. WTF is in these pizzas that allows them to stay for three days with out getting moldy.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Kapkao

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

Subscribe, then learn

I started the post so I was automatically subscribed. Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no edit for the first post.

It ain't that difficult, friend, and it only costs $3 a month. Of course... you get a bunch of other freebies too, but 'edit Thread title and OP' regardless of someone having posted in it is benefit #1. You also keep your original post edit function. [/salesman]

In any case, it's relatively easy to do, and you get to be a vocal atheist-Buddhist as much as you want. Eye-wink

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:digitalbeachbum

Kapkao wrote:

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

Subscribe, then learn

It ain't that difficult, friend, and it only costs $3 a month. Of course... you get a bunch of other freebies too, but 'edit Thread title and OP' regardless of someone having posted in it is benefit #1. You also keep your original post edit function. [/salesman]

In any case, it's relatively easy to do, and you get to be a vocal atheist-Buddhist as much as you want. Eye-wink

I wish I had $3 a month to spend. My family and I are so tight on money that I don't play any online games nor do I make any new purchases. I wanted to donate some of my bonus check for the new server but the check never transpired.