Maher puts new spin on atheist axiom.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maher puts new spin on atheist axiom.

Many of us have used this argument, "Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair color"

Or, "Atheism is a religion like off is a tv channel"

Maher one upped us all with this take on that. And hey @ Beyond and the other uber Libertarians, take notice as to who his sitting next to him in this video.

Found on Examiner.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I am still toying with a

I am still toying with a fundie logic conflict. Perhaps it doesn't come up in the same conversation. However....

Fundies will say Atheism is a religion.

Also they complain to atheist that the constitution says there is freedom of religion, not freedom from religion.

Isn't this trying to have your cake and eat it too?

If atheism is a religion then why should they have any problem with it. 

I know why this is confusing I am trying to think like they do. I aim for consistency in my thinking and I don't argue on both sides of the street just so I can keep my precious agenda. Oh well.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I like his "atheism is a

I like his "atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position". That has the potential of offending a prude in addition to making the point.

And also atheism is a great time saver, nothing to do for it. 

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline

Bill Maher did that bit because the week before Kennedy was on his show and at the end she said that atheism is a religion.  She said she knew this because she is a philosophy major.  It was right at the end before New Rules, so Bill only had the chance to address it for a few seconds.  Here's the clip:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CusScRkK0JA

There's also a guest there who agrees with Kennedy and says "atheism is a religious faith."  No.  You can call atheism a worldview, namely a worldview that lacks deities, but you can't call it a religion.   

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I remember her

Yeah, I remember her bringing that up near the end of panel discussions.  Kennedy needs to take her ditzy ass back to 90's MTV.  I don't know what the fuck Bill was thinking by bringing her on the show...

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sage_Override wrote:Yeah, I

Sage_Override wrote:

Yeah, I remember her bringing that up near the end of panel discussions.  Kennedy needs to take her ditzy ass back to 90's MTV.  I don't know what the fuck Bill was thinking by bringing her on the show...

Just like Cobert and Stewart invite their opposition on their shows sometimes. Let them spew their crap and let the audience decide.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog