Life on Venus?

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Life on Venus?

I'm a firm believer in denying most of the shit my government spews out.  I'm not a conspiracy theorist or anything; I just examine everything very, very thoroughly.  In the case of interplanetary discoveries, galaxy exploration and extraterrestrial findings, I'm 100% sure we are not the only form of life in this solar system.  There's just no fucking way that is possible.  To think otherwise is a mark of arrogance and ignorance because life comes in all shapes and sizes.  Just because it isn't bug-eyed, laser shooting human-extermination squads come to rob us off our resources or wipe us out because we have gold doesn't mean it isn't out there. 

I saw a cool story about a Russian scientist that claims to have discovered what he thinks are forms of life from photos relayed off a satellite they launched in 2005 to scan Venus for any signs of life or changes in the overall atmospheric surface of the planet.  dailycaller.com/2012/01/22/russian-scientist-claims-signs-of-life-spotted-on-venus/   

Quote:

The Indo-Asian News Service reported Saturday that a Russian scientist has published what he claims is evidence of life on Venus, Earth’s nearest neighbor in the direction of the sun.

Leonid Ksanfomaliti, an astronomer based at the Space Research Institute of Russia’s Academy of Sciences, analyzed photographs taken by a Russian landing probe during a 1982 during a mission to explore the heavily acid-clouded planet.

Venus is roughly the same size as Earth, but it has a thick atmosphere dominated by carbon dioxide. With an atmospheric pressure 92 times Earth’s, a waterless and volcano-riddled surface and a surface temperature of 894 degrees, the planet has never been considered a serious target of research into the possibility of extraterrestrial life.

But in his article, published in the magazine Solar System Research, Ksanfomaliti says the Russian photographs depict objects resembling a “disk,” a “black flap” and a “scorpion.”

“What if we forget about the current theories about the non-existence of life on Venus?” he wrote. “Let’s boldly suggest that the objects’ morphological features would allow us to say that they are living.”

What do you guys think?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's not impossible.

It's not impossible.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
There are no little green

There are no little green men in our solar system. But carbon material that makes up DNA does exist and some form of lower bacteria or virus existing in a harsher environment or sub ground level such as under the surface of mars which once had volcanic activity or under ice and water, which we do find elsewhere, life could exist. Eventually I think with enough exploration we will find that life can exist off this planet.

But travel outside our solar system in manned ships should NOT be our priority. I think the more important thing for humans to focus on is a meteor defense system.

But we can find organisms that survive in extreme heat and extreme cold, so finding a bacteria or virus or small celled organisms on another planet is only a matter of time to discover.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I guess anything is

I guess anything is theoretically possible, but we would need a little more then some 1982 orbit photographs for evidence.  Remember the "face on Mars" and other "artificial" structure that seem so obvious in poor quality photos.  Of course we are not alone in the universe, I just don't think there is a conspiracy hiding knowledge of aliens.  If we discover any type of life in our solar system, it will likely be microscopical, and my money is on one of the gas giant's moons rather then Venus.  

Also, it was my very vague understanding that the cloud cover of Venus made photographs of the surface impossible, I could be wrong.

Edit:  I have just cleared my understanding, orbit photographs of the surface are indeed not possible, but there was a probe sent to the surface.  Here is a very good and detailed website of the soviet Venus exploration:

http://mentallandscape.com/V_Venus.htm

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Captain's Log .. entry supplemental

Quote:
Brian37 wrote, There are no little green men in our solar system

I  came up with this  image, worth the mouse click

[Url] http://www.flickr.com/photos/danatemporary/6749703009/in/photostream[/Url]

I am assuming everyone knows about the  Voyager craft, and what was aboard them (if not wikipedia it).

Consider this 'My version' of the "Golden records"; encase  "life"  hasn't developed 'phono~graphic' tech  :~

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The trick with life is that

The trick with life is that we don't know that carbon and water are prerequisites. It has been hypothesised that silicon could replace carbon easily in high temp environments. Such as Venus.

That said, I don't think Venus is a silicon version of Earth. We can't see the surface directly, but we can still see it. As a result it is suspected that the entire surface of Venus liquifies occasionally (long story, I recommend research to anyone with questions about this), which would not be an ideal environment for any living organism, carbon or otherwise.

But there are parts of the atmosphere which could sustain microscopic life as found in some extreme environments on Earth, so I wouldn't be particularly surprised to find out there was life in Venus' atmosphere.

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, little green men is a

Yeah, little green men is a stupid concept like I hinted at in my OP.  The idea that life is just absent in our solar system and beyond, however, is an idiotic notion and an extremely ignorant one surrounded in dangerous ego.  It's nice to see these kinds of stories, though, because it means that no matter how implausible a planet is to sustain life, that we really have a very small grasp of what types of life can thrive in certain extreme atmospheres and then some.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Misc

To any incorrect words or any malapropisms .. I blame the cold

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wouldn't be particularly surprised to find out ..

Vastet wrote:
The trick with life is that we don't know that carbon and water are prerequisites. It has been hypothesised that silicon could replace carbon easily in high temp environments .. parts of the atmosphere which could sustain microscopic life as found in some extreme environments on Earth, so I wouldn't be particularly surprised to find out there was life in Venus' atmosphere.

Well on earth  the beginnings of life microbial life  'may' have been due to  the process of freezing and and then heating,   in an earlier stage of this our planet.

[ source: the Science-Channel 24-36 months ago ].

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline

Vastet wrote:
It has been hypothesised that silicon could replace carbon easily in high temp environments ..

Eye-wink

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline

Vastet wrote:
parts of the atmosphere which could sustain microscopic life as found in some extreme environments on Earth, so ...

Very interesting thought   Smiling

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:We can't see

Vastet wrote:
We can't see the surface directly, but we can still see it.

That doesn't make sense, but it still does. 

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Goldilocks conditions for our planet

danatemporary wrote:
Well on earth  the beginnings of life microbial life ..  were due to the conditions found  in an earlier stage of this our planet's history.

Researchers found  for life to have evolved,  you have to have a moment when non-living building blocks become things that are living -- everything up to that point is CHEMISTRY.

Goldilocks conditions  OKAY ??!?

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't have a problem at

I don't have a problem at all with the notion that life can exist under very high temperatures and pressures.  92 atmospheres is nothing.  Putting in it perspective, that's about 930 meters of water and there is life down that far in our oceans.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

devilsadvoc8
devilsadvoc8's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hope that I am alive to

I hope that I am alive to see the day when we can definitively say there is life elsewhere.  It should mark the beginning of the end for religion. 

Finding Intelligent life would be the death knell for religion but carries a great deal of risk.  How would this other intelligence view us?  Would it mark the end of us as a species?

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence- Christopher Hitchins

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
devilsadvoc8 wrote:I hope

devilsadvoc8 wrote:

I hope that I am alive to see the day when we can definitively say there is life elsewhere.  It should mark the beginning of the end for religion. 

Finding Intelligent life would be the death knell for religion but carries a great deal of risk.  How would this other intelligence view us?  Would it mark the end of us as a species?

don't underestimate the ability of religion to mutate.  it's more tenacious than any flu virus.

a lot of people thought a copernican universe would be the death knell of religion.  ditto human flight, the uncertainty principle, modern medicine, cloning, etc., etc.

hell, most of hinduism claims to have always espoused the big bang theory, and i think hindus would welcome intelligent extraterrestrials as a confirmation of a lot of their myths. 

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just think of all the

Just think of all the scientologists screaming "I told you so" with their pet lawyers at the heel.