Atheist Faces Jail After Arguing God Did Not Exist On Facebook

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheist Faces Jail After Arguing God Did Not Exist On Facebook

The Australian, 8 Feb 2011

AN Indonesian civil servant who declared himself an atheist on Facebook was arrested and is now facing jail for blasphemy after being attacked by an angry mob, police said today.

Alexander An, 30, who wrote "God doesn't exist" on his Facebook page, was beaten by a mob of dozens on Wednesday in his hometown in Pulau Punjung, West Sumatra province.

"He is suspected of having blasphemed against Islam," local police chief Chairul Aziz told AFP.

"The man told police investigators that if God really exists and has absolute power, why didn't he prevent bad things from happening in this world."

An said on his Facebook page that he was brought up as a Muslim, like the vast majority in Indonesia, where blasphemy is a punishable crime carrying a maximum five-year prison term.

Dozens of locals stormed into his office after a heated debate with them on Facebook over religion, police said.

An was also an administrator of a Facebook group promoting atheism with 1243 followers. His postings no longer appeared online following his arrest.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/atheist-faces-jail-after-facebook-remark/story-e6frfku0-1226249817335

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
 He certainly proved that

He certainly proved that god is not love.

Incredibly brave. I cannot imagine me standing up in such a way.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I just realized the

I just realized the article was from Feb 2011. I wonder if he is still alive.

### edit

You must have a typo AE I am seeing elsewhere that it is recent.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/indonesia/9027145/Atheist-Indonesian-in-protective-custody-after-being-beaten-by-mob.html

add this:

Quote:
Under the Indonesian criminal code blasphemy is defined as publicly expressing feelings or taking some action that spreads hatred, abuse or taints a religion in a way it would cause someone to disbelieve any of the country's six official religions.

So as long as you believe in one of the 6 fairy tales you are good. And they are worried you might cause someone to think.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
I already posted this story

I already posted this story under the thread "Another reason I am so vocal".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
http://www.rationalresponders

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Chuckle

Soz Brian. I ran my eye down the recents but your headline didn't give me any hints. Muslims. They really are all sorts of stupid, aren't they. If I had to live in a country that practiced such bigotry I would not be passive. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Amadeus123 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
No, its not happened in Feb

No, its not happened in Feb 2011... this case happened just few weeks ago, in West Sumatra. an employee was arrested due to his confession as an Atheist in Facebook....

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

Soz Brian. I ran my eye down the recents but your headline didn't give me any hints. Muslims. They really are all sorts of stupid, aren't they. If I had to live in a country that practiced such bigotry I would not be passive. 

Lets not limit bigotry to just one label. We have an atheist here who hates Jews and a Jew here who wants a pecking order for Israel. Give humans enough power and bigotry will get to this level every time. The only cure is a government that protects blasphemy.