Good Songs Ruined By Needless References to God

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good Songs Ruined By Needless References to God

I quite like Joe Henry but the last line from Our Song off the album Civilians really ruins the whole thing for me. It seems odd a chap who seems to reference global warming could come out with "If it's His will, it could make me a better man".

Maybe Joe was just trying to appeal to his potential audience. Any one else like a tune with a grating reference to a hypothetical heavenly father?

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Metallica: One

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline

Vastet wrote:

I like "The God That Failed" better:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6khld0NiME  Don't ask me why they made a video that has nothing to do with the lyrics.

{Edit:}  This is an example of a song that was enhanced by reference to God.  I hope it's within the topic of the thread.  When I saw Vastet refer to Metallica's "One," I immediately remembered this song by Metallica that also had God in it.  My bad.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, to be honest, the

Well, to be honest, the reference to god in One wasn't exactly a glowing review of god. More of an indictment. It just annoys me hearing the term in the middle of such a powerful song.

It's possible that the song helped me on the way to atheism even.

But when I sing along, I replace god with please.

I also replace god with we in the Canadian anthem.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Deftones - Minerva I'm not

Deftones - Minerva

I'm not even a fan of the Deftones, but this song has a kick ass feel to it.  Then it gets to the "god bless you all" parts and I'm like ARGH!!!!

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
God save the Queen

Because he hates democracy.

Despite that God Bless America exists.

But the most revealing is the Battle Hymn of the Republic. It sets the tone of the country forever after.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
The list is HUGE to be

The list is HUGE to be honest, but I find that thinking that a song is ruined because of the word "god" is a difficult opinion to project. After all we are talking about artists which usually have some underlining meaning to all that they do. There are a handful of bands which used the word "god" in their songs and it doesn't ruin them. Kiss? Pink? Black Veil Brides? Sex Pistols? Joan Osborne? Queen?

"One of Us" by Joan Osborne is an interesting song because it really puts it "in the face" of those who actually believe in god. I see it as a song of the hypocrisy of religion.