D.C. Reason Rally March 24th, 2012 - Who is going?

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level ModeratorSilver Member
ex-minister's picture
Posts: 1708
Joined: 2010-01-29
User is offlineOffline
D.C. Reason Rally March 24th, 2012 - Who is going?

http://reasonrally.org/

Richard Dawkins, Tim Michin, James Randi, PZ Meyers,

Bad Religion

AaronRa, Thunderf00t, ZomGitCriss

 

I plan to go.

http://reasonrally.org/

 

 

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/


ex-minister
atheistHigh Level ModeratorSilver Member
ex-minister's picture
Posts: 1708
Joined: 2010-01-29
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3139
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
Any good reasons to go? 

Any good reasons to go?

 


ex-minister
atheistHigh Level ModeratorSilver Member
ex-minister's picture
Posts: 1708
Joined: 2010-01-29
User is offlineOffline
 oh snap. To show that

 oh snap. 

To show that atheism is bigger than the religious and politicians think.

To meet in person like minded people.

I think of it like the Daily/Colbert shows rally.

So you think its a waste of time?

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3139
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote: oh

ex-minister wrote:

 oh snap. 

To show that atheism is bigger than the religious and politicians think.

To meet in person like minded people.

I think of it like the Daily/Colbert shows rally.

So you think its a waste of time?

No. I'm looking for a good reason. If I thought it might improve things, I would go.

How big would the rally need to be to make religious/politicians think? Since generally they don't think, that's why they're religious. And politicians generally appeal to people that don't think. I don't think they'd know what to make of it.

 

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” Seneca


ex-minister
atheistHigh Level ModeratorSilver Member
ex-minister's picture
Posts: 1708
Joined: 2010-01-29
User is offlineOffline
 Ah, I see. Thinking gets

 Ah, I see. Thinking gets in the way of politics.

Well, should I go and I do plan to I will give a report of it here.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3139
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote: Ah, I

ex-minister wrote:

 Ah, I see. Thinking gets in the way of politics.

Exactly. Washington's entire existence totally depends on having an unthinking super-majority.

You may as well hold the rally at the Vatican or Mecca. I mean if the politicians think anything it's that if reason ever ruled, they'd have to get a real job and get real work done. Making false promises to the unwashed masses wouldn't cut it for pastors or politicians.

 

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” Seneca


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13660
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:ex-minister

EXC wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

 oh snap. 

To show that atheism is bigger than the religious and politicians think.

To meet in person like minded people.

I think of it like the Daily/Colbert shows rally.

So you think its a waste of time?

No. I'm looking for a good reason. If I thought it might improve things, I would go.

How big would the rally need to be to make religious/politicians think? Since generally they don't think, that's why they're religious. And politicians generally appeal to people that don't think. I don't think they'd know what to make of it.

 

Um if you want to think short term, go ahead. I am quite sure lots of minorities like Susan B Anthony, Martin Luther King and Harvey Milk supporters thought "What good can one person do?"

For someone who thinks I have it wrong on economics, you sure are pessimistic.

No one is going to expect you to spend money you don't want to spend on a trip you don't want to. But you are dead wrong that what active atheists have done has not had an impact.

I cant go because I have no money and a mother who needs attention. But I would damned sure be there if I could.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3139
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Um if you want

Brian37 wrote:

Um if you want to think short term, go ahead. I am quite sure lots of minorities like Susan B Anthony, Martin Luther King and Harvey Milk supporters thought "What good can one person do?"

For someone who thinks I have it wrong on economics, you sure are pessimistic.

No one is going to expect you to spend money you don't want to spend on a trip you don't want to. But you are dead wrong that what active atheists have done has not had an impact.

I cant go because I have no money and a mother who needs attention. But I would damned sure be there if I could.

 

I would go if I thought it wasn't going to be distorted or ignored by the media.

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” Seneca


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13660
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Brian37 wrote:Um

EXC wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Um if you want to think short term, go ahead. I am quite sure lots of minorities like Susan B Anthony, Martin Luther King and Harvey Milk supporters thought "What good can one person do?"

For someone who thinks I have it wrong on economics, you sure are pessimistic.

No one is going to expect you to spend money you don't want to spend on a trip you don't want to. But you are dead wrong that what active atheists have done has not had an impact.

I cant go because I have no money and a mother who needs attention. But I would damned sure be there if I could.

 

I would go if I thought it wasn't going to be distorted or ignored by the media.

What the hell is your problem?

You think Rome was built in a day?

OF COURSE IT WILL BE DISTORTED, but if it were being ignored by the media then explain why to me, in the past 10 years of being on line atheists have gone from the fringe as a movement to best selling authors and EVEN A CONSERVATIVE JUDGE JUST SIDE WITH A RI HIGH SCHOOL ATHEIST?

When I first got on line and found other atheists, we got no attention, no press. And when we did, it was always negitive. We were the new "fagots", the new "niggers", the new "Muslims".

If you want to live in a cave and do your own thing and worry about yourself, no one will stop you. But you are a complete Johny come lately and have no clue how far the atheist voice has progressed.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Mr. XC
High Level DonorSpecial AgentWebsite AdminPlatinum Member
Posts: 237
Joined: 2006-12-19
User is offlineOffline
The advancement of minorities

How many minorities have advanced in acceptance in society by staying silent?  If anything, they are usually harmed by staying silent.

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. ..." -- Thomas Jefferson


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3139
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
Mr. XC wrote:How many

Mr. XC wrote:

How many minorities have advanced in acceptance in society by staying silent? 

Mimes

(bet you didn't think I could come up with one).

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” Seneca


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3139
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: What the

Brian37 wrote:

 

What the hell is your problem?

You think Rome was built in a day?

OF COURSE IT WILL BE DISTORTED, but if it were being ignored by the media then explain why to me, in the past 10 years of being on line atheists have gone from the fringe as a movement to best selling authors and EVEN A CONSERVATIVE JUDGE JUST SIDE WITH A RI HIGH SCHOOL ATHEIST?

When I first got on line and found other atheists, we got no attention, no press. And when we did, it was always negitive. We were the new "fagots", the new "niggers", the new "Muslims".

If you want to live in a cave and do your own thing and worry about yourself, no one will stop you. But you are a complete Johny come lately and have no clue how far the atheist voice has progressed.

 

Actually a problem is the atheists with political agendas that believe they have figured it all out. They want power to shift from religion to government, to make government the new all powerful controller that enslaves. So for these people Washington is a good place to go. What about atheists that want to see power shift from religion and government to the individual?

 

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” Seneca


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2397
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Mr. XC wrote:How

EXC wrote:

Mr. XC wrote:

How many minorities have advanced in acceptance in society by staying silent? 

Mimes

(bet you didn't think I could come up with one).

 

 

 

                   I'd like to kill every mime that irritated me but we all know that 'a mime is a terible thing waste'.     Sorry guys couldn't resist.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
Posts: 362
Joined: 2009-12-16
User is offlineOffline
...

Count me in.  This is a great idea.  You're right, ex-minister, this is like The Rally to Restore Sanity and The March to Keep Fear Alive.  It's an awesome idea.  EXC, it would be good to have a mix a political views there so the media doesn't make it look like a big left-wing atheist hatefest.  Conservatives should go too.

 

  

 


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7522
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
 I'm not sure about going.

 I'm not sure about going.  I don't want to go because of a variety of reasons, one that consistently comes to mind is the PTSD from the attack.  Nice to know he wont be there, but now I don't put insanity past the atheist community.  

I am glad there will be an event.  I support the event.  I hope all the groups involved get everything they hope to achieve with the event.  I think it'll be a blip of reminder to politicians of our existence, and it has the chance to remind theists we exist, but I'm not sure how much good it'll really do in that regard.   I think it'll serve more (ironically) as a rallying call.  It's a good moment in our history.  It's a good "party" to have, a place for atheists to get together and hang out.   I think it will accomplish more of that end.  

I look forward to watching and reading about all of it online and having memories as if I was there.  I'll help spread the word about anyone from our site (including Atheism United) who goes to the event and live blogs or live tweets the event.

I do currently have a Philly atheist cop who wants to go with me so we'll see I guess.  If there was an RRS forum party I know I'd be upset if I wasn't there.  

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13660
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Brian37

EXC wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

 

What the hell is your problem?

You think Rome was built in a day?

OF COURSE IT WILL BE DISTORTED, but if it were being ignored by the media then explain why to me, in the past 10 years of being on line atheists have gone from the fringe as a movement to best selling authors and EVEN A CONSERVATIVE JUDGE JUST SIDE WITH A RI HIGH SCHOOL ATHEIST?

When I first got on line and found other atheists, we got no attention, no press. And when we did, it was always negitive. We were the new "fagots", the new "niggers", the new "Muslims".

If you want to live in a cave and do your own thing and worry about yourself, no one will stop you. But you are a complete Johny come lately and have no clue how far the atheist voice has progressed.

 

Actually a problem is the atheists with political agendas that believe they have figured it all out. They want power to shift from religion to government, to make government the new all powerful controller that enslaves. So for these people Washington is a good place to go. What about atheists that want to see power shift from religion and government to the individual?

 

Quote:
Actually a problem is the atheists with political agendas that believe they have figured it all out. They want power to shift from religion to government, to make government the new all powerful controller that enslaves

WHAT THE? You're an atheist too right? That is the same bigoted mentality religious people have of atheists. All people who have mustaches love Hitler. And mob rule by vote can have the same oppressive affect on minorities. A pure democracy where voters have absolute power is just a dictatorship by vote.

Really? Please. I value Jefferson. Asking for a wall of separation between Church and state IS NOT a call for the government to have absolute power.

You completely miss the point that even those on the left miss. GOVERNMENT cannot nor should be either or, it should not be all state, or all federal, nor should the voter have absolute power. Case by case through review and oversight taking dissent and the protection of into account.

Our government is set up to allow for dissent so that no one group, be it religious, or political, OR VOTER can create a situation in the future that their power cannot be challenged, THUS our system of checks and balances.

What we DO have is a class monopoly via money on our politics. The middle class and poor in this country are being clobbered by big money in our politics. HOWEVER, I do not want a pure democracy where the voters have absolute power. Iran has elections too, so any Jew or Christian or atheist living there, do not have a voice as minorities.

WE HAVE separation of powers and three branches of government that are independent AND accountable but separate FOR A REASON.

There is a reason for the Supremacy clause. There is a reason for advise and consent. There is a reason for our Supreme Court. There is a reason for Executive order. There is a reason for our electoral college.  There is a reason for all of that. TO PREVENT MONOPOLIES OF ANY KIND OF POWER.

I think the founders were WISE in understanding that nothing can be set up in black and white terms. "One man one vote" sounds nice until that majority wants to take away your rights as a minority. As an atheist you should value MORESO why our system is one of oversight preventing absolutes from taking place.

The problem isn't the way the system is set up. Just like a hammer is not responsible for the carpenter hitting his own thumb with it. The problem is abuse of power and the complacency of society in taking the system for granted.

I do not want any of the protections of dissent stripped from our Constitution. The attitude of the Constitution is that everyone is equal, everyone has a voice, but no one is given absolute power over anyone else.

Being an atheist in a Christian majority I would hope that you don't want states or voters having absolute power.

THAT girl in RI, the atheist, despite what the Christian majority might have wanted, was protected BY federal law. If you strip the federal government of the Supremacy clause, that atheist would be at the mercy of the Christian majority. FYI the judge who sided with her was a conservative Christian. If we go by what you want, and go by states rights, he would have had to say "sorry atheist" majority rules.

NOW I am sick of anyone on the left or the right pulling crap like this. THE ENTIRE concept of the Constitution was to PREVENT all attempts of monopolies from taking hold. That tool is only as good as the people who care to use it and is only as good as how it is used.

I think you are just so stuck on worship of money that it clouds your own perceptions.

I am an atheist too, do not speak for me, and assume because I disagree with you on economics that that means I want any type of absolute power. I am glad you had no hand in writing our constitution.

Your attitude scares the crap out of me, if we make it all states rights and no government ability to override a majority in a given state Texas could easily be ruled like Iran via mob rule by vote. We already have examples of their Jesus freaks trying to dumb down our public schools by controlling textbooks our entire country uses.

I am an atheist too, do not speak for me, and assume because I disagree with you on economics that that means I want any type of absolute power. I am glad you had no hand in writing our constitution.

 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


BeltwayAtheist
BeltwayAtheist's picture
Posts: 32
Joined: 2006-05-08
User is offlineOffline
Beltway Atheists will be heavily involved (beltwayatheists.org)

ex-minister wrote:

http://reasonrally.org/

Richard Dawkins, Tim Michin, James Randi, PZ Meyers,

Bad Religion

AaronRa, Thunderf00t, ZomGitCriss

 

I plan to go.

http://reasonrally.org/

 

 


Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
Posts: 868
Joined: 2008-02-06
User is offlineOffline
My wife and I will be

My wife and I will be attending. Then we will be partying.