Cee Lo changes lyrics to John Lennon's "imagine"

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Cee Lo changes lyrics to John Lennon's "imagine"

So during a New Year's Eve performance, Cee Lo changed the lyrics from "and no religion too" to "and all religions true" which prompted a shit storm on twitter, facebook and beyond.

 

http://jesusfetusfajitafishsticks.blogspot.com/2012/01/imagine-theres-no-screenshots.html

 

Seems like a douche move.

 

Another question is should the song that mentions religion [either pro or anti]  have even been sung during a event that is suppose to include everyone anyway?

 

 

 


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3681
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
LOL!  

LOL! 

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle

butterbattle wrote:

LOL! 

 

 

What's so funny?


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3681
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
I find the whole thing kind

I find the whole thing kind of funny. I guess it's kind of annoying, and I'm not even a really big Lennon fan, but I thought it was funny. 

 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1829
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:I find

butterbattle wrote:

I find the whole thing kind of funny. I guess it's kind of annoying, and I'm not even a really big Lennon fan, but I thought it was funny. 

I don't get it, and I find it a big fucking douche move, and it has nothing to do with religion specifically.  It completely changes the message of the song.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc


Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
Sage_Override's picture
Posts: 580
Joined: 2008-10-14
User is offlineOffline
That's because pricks like

That's because pricks like Cee Lo think after basing their career on one song, that they can safely bastardize everything else around them for as long as the public gives two shits about them.

"When the majority believes in what is false, the truth becomes a quest." - Me


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1829
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
I forgot to put the /sarcasm

I forgot to put the /sarcasm tag in my post.  All religions cannot be true, most are mutually exclusive. Smiling

 

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc


Lion IRC
Theist
Lion IRC's picture
Posts: 158
Joined: 2011-03-16
User is offlineOffline
All religion - even atheism?

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

So during a New Year's Eve performance, Cee Lo changed the lyrics from "and no religion too" to "and all religions true" which prompted a shit storm on twitter, facebook and beyond.

 

http://jesusfetusfajitafishsticks.blogspot.com/2012/01/imagine-theres-no-screenshots.html

 

Seems like a douche move.

 

Another question is should the song that mentions religion [either pro or anti]  have even been sung during a event that is suppose to include everyone anyway?

 

Songs which deliberately try to include something for everyone are typically pretty boring.

 

 

 


Lion IRC
Theist
Lion IRC's picture
Posts: 158
Joined: 2011-03-16
User is offlineOffline
Atheism can't be "partly" true.

Ktulu wrote:

I forgot to put the /sarcasm tag in my post.  All religions cannot be true, most are mutually exclusive. Smiling

 

 

 

Almost all forms of theism have some degree of overlap - partial truth.

Atheism, on the other hand, needs to debunk EVERY SINGLE ELEMENT OF EVERY SINGLE THEISTIC RELIGION before it can be considered true.

With atheism its all or nothing. Doctrinally, you can't be partly atheist.

 

See the difference? The Jew and the Christian and the Muslim can argue about who is more correct about God. FurryCatHerder can express a grudging preference - if push came to shove - for Islam over Christianity on the grounds of (perceived) monotheistic purity.

 

Can the atheist do that? 

(Actually, perhaps they can. Have a look at THIS appalling current thread at rationalskepticism.org in which an atheist poses the vexing question...if Abrahamic Monotheism isnt clearly defined to my satisfaction, how can I possibly be a proper atheist. )

 


Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
Sage_Override's picture
Posts: 580
Joined: 2008-10-14
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Almost all forms of

Quote:

Almost all forms of theism have some degree of overlap - partial truth.

 

More like they ALL do otherwise, there wouldn't be so many denominations and arguments over which fairy tale character possesses a better pseudo-blueprint to govern their lives.

 

Quote:
Atheism, on the other hand, needs to debunk EVERY SINGLE ELEMENT OF EVERY SINGLE THEISTIC RELIGION before it can be considered true.

 

You know, I'm kind of tired of believers saying this as if we put a gun to your heads.  We don't NEED to do anything because, after awhile, you theists shoot yourselves in the foot for the most part with your misguided views, but since there's such a huge margin of insecurity there from zealots and people bashing others for not believing a certain way, we stick our big ol' heathen noses into the thick of it.  Think of atheists as a big brother program that tries to rehabilitate delusional individuals by spending time with them to show them other types of ways to live without fear and denial.  Some accept their misgivings and brain washing and some just keep on being hard headed.  Our advantage is that we don't need to appeal to beliefs; just facts.  Sure, most atheists don't see eye to eye and most have different takes on the world, but what each of us lacks in congruity regarding our personal views on politics, the free market, poverty, etc., we make up for by sharing a single consciousness of doubt that gets stronger and stronger with every passing day.  Besides, to not "debunk" religion would be a gross irresponsibility to the human race since it denotes a lack of thirst for knowledge and understanding i.e. not putting your brain to full use.  To accept something without ever possessing that nagging itch if it's the truth is one of the worst things you could ever do with your time on this Earth.     

 

Quote:
With atheism its all or nothing. Doctrinally, you can't be partly atheist.

 

You can't be PARTIALLY-Christian, PARTIALLY-Lutheran, PARTIALLY-Catholic or any other theistic belief system, either.  Although, you can act like a hypocrite in one of the said religions and claim to be a devout follower, but, hey, no one's perfect, right? 

 

Quote:
See the difference? The Jew and the Christian and the Muslim can argue about who is more correct about God.

 

Yes, and we all know that has gone over SO WELL in the past, hasn't it?

 

Quote:
FurryCatHerder can express a grudging preference - if push came to shove - for Islam over Christianity on the grounds of (perceived) monotheistic purity.

 

She can tout anything she wants about Islam or Christianity, but me, personally, I'd take it with a grain of salt.  Her views come from an already skewed perspective and she's already been called a borderline troll on here.  You and her can discuss anything you wish and try to keep your own beliefs in check, but when it comes down to facts regarding atheists vs. theists, it all boils down to how deep seeded your "faith" is and how staunch our views of science/nature/the universe are to where we can comfortably keep a stable ground and not resort to playground antics.  The difference in your comparison is that Islamic vs. Christian has an extremely violent past where as there have been no "holy wars" between atheists and theists because the basis to argue who's "god" is better is an irrelevant goal.     

 

 

"When the majority believes in what is false, the truth becomes a quest." - Me


Ktulu
atheist
Posts: 1829
Joined: 2010-12-21
User is offlineOffline
Lion IRC wrote:Ktulu wrote:I

Lion IRC wrote:

Ktulu wrote:

I forgot to put the /sarcasm tag in my post.  All religions cannot be true, most are mutually exclusive. Smiling

 

 

 

Almost all forms of theism have some degree of overlap - partial truth.

Atheism, on the other hand, needs to debunk EVERY SINGLE ELEMENT OF EVERY SINGLE THEISTIC RELIGION before it can be considered true.

With atheism its all or nothing. Doctrinally, you can't be partly atheist.

 

See the difference? The Jew and the Christian and the Muslim can argue about who is more correct about God. FurryCatHerder can express a grudging preference - if push came to shove - for Islam over Christianity on the grounds of (perceived) monotheistic purity.

 

Can the atheist do that? 

(Actually, perhaps they can. Have a look at THIS appalling current thread at rationalskepticism.org in which an atheist poses the vexing question...if Abrahamic Monotheism isnt clearly defined to my satisfaction, how can I possibly be a proper atheist. )

 

Yes,  I can see your purposely generic and muddled point.  

Jesus wrote:

I am the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me!

Now you explain to me how someone that doesn't believe Jesus was the son of god will get to Heaven in a Christian paradigm?

Your cumbaya singing, hand holding religious individuals completely contradicts reality.  It's just the usual cherry picking theistic BS. 

Also atheists have only one thing in common, they do not hold a theistic view.  Anyone that can dress themselves in the morning and open the front door should be able to get that simple fucking concept.  So my question to you is, who dresses you in the morning?

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc


Lion IRC
Theist
Lion IRC's picture
Posts: 158
Joined: 2011-03-16
User is offlineOffline
The WAY.

Ktulu wrote:

Lion IRC wrote:

Ktulu wrote:

I forgot to put the /sarcasm tag in my post.  All religions cannot be true, most are mutually exclusive. Smiling

 

 

 

Almost all forms of theism have some degree of overlap - partial truth.

Atheism, on the other hand, needs to debunk EVERY SINGLE ELEMENT OF EVERY SINGLE THEISTIC RELIGION before it can be considered true.

With atheism its all or nothing. Doctrinally, you can't be partly atheist.

 

See the difference? The Jew and the Christian and the Muslim can argue about who is more correct about God. FurryCatHerder can express a grudging preference - if push came to shove - for Islam over Christianity on the grounds of (perceived) monotheistic purity.

 

Can the atheist do that? 

(Actually, perhaps they can. Have a look at THIS appalling current thread at rationalskepticism.org in which an atheist poses the vexing question...if Abrahamic Monotheism isnt clearly defined to my satisfaction, how can I possibly be a proper atheist. )

 

Yes,  I can see your purposely generic and muddled point.  

Jesus wrote:

I am the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me!

...Now you explain to me how someone that doesn't believe Jesus was the son of god will get to Heaven in a Christian paradigm?...

 

Jesus told a story (Luke 16:19) about a rich man who died and saw Abraham in heaven. The bible wasnt even written when Abraham was alive. So how could Abraham be in heaven? A man on the Cross next to Jesus was told he would be in heaven and he had never met Jesus before. Jesus stood on a hill (or hills plural if you believe He preached the amazing Beatitudes sermon more than once in different places,) and preached to people who never met Him before. And He said to the poor in spirit among the crowd, and the peacemakers, and the pure of heart, and the people who are persecuted for trying to be righteous, that the Kingdom would be theirs - and they had NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE THAT DAY.  

 

The way.

Just follow.... The Way.

Do you know The Way?