What browser do you use?

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
What browser do you use?

Partly out of curiosity, partly professional interest and partly point poorly raised by someone in a different post.

Quote:

Chrome has =so= many problems.  The memory footprint is unreal and Chrome's aggressive grabbing of every megabyte of memory it can get its hands on is unacceptable.  Chrome is a virus, Google is Evil.

I have every browser installed on my computer because I do some web development as part of my job.  I personally prefer Chrome and have my reasons for that.  

What do you guys use?

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I use firefox for regular

I use firefox for regular and explorer for downloads and stuff.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Fun fact about browsers,

Fun fact about browsers, they all do different things differently.  Here's a quick screenshot of memory usage for rationalresponders.com on the four major browsers running on my computer.

Chrome is also the most manageable browser out there, and the easiest to code extensions for.  But I'm sure Furry has much better proof to back up her comment.  Perhaps it's not kosher? 

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Firefox

I use IE for the pages where the programmers can't program for generic browsing.  There are fewer of them than there used to be, but occasionally, I have to open IE to get scripts to run correctly.  I use Firefox for downloading - I like the way it handles the status.  I don't mind having to save to disk and then open the program to actually install.  In fact, I prefer it that way.  Gives me a backup executable that I save on my external drive.

I have NoScript, ReminderFox and AdBlock Plus add ins.  In addition to the plugins to make stuff work, I have a few others loaded for looks and such.  ReminderFox is a fully functional, easy to use pop up calendar.

I got used to the old Netscape Communicator years ago and Firefox is very similar.  I like the way settings are put on the hard drive in mostly plain text.  Makes troubleshooting and reloading very easy.

I am not overly concerned about the memory usage, my issue is hard drive space.  When the new computer gets here tomorrow, I may load up Chrome and try it out. 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
I use firefox, not because I

I use firefox, not because I think it is the best or anything, it is just what is installed. The actual practical differance between the four for someone who just clicks a few links here and there and is not doing anything fancy is basiclly nothing anyway. Certainly nothing to make a fuss over.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sony.

Sony.

Sticking out tongue

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
1. Google Chrome2. Firefox3.

1. Google Chrome

2. Firefox

3. IE

As for Google... not only aren't they evil, but they are poised to be the most innovative internet company in the world as we move forward.  Forget about Apple, buy your Google stock now (symbol: GOOG) before it hits $1,000.  

Best internet company by far... google.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I use IE and Firefox.  This

I use IE and Firefox.  This is because sometimes IE acts like a little bitch.  I have numerous times tried to open up IE, sat there watching it...do nothing, then opened up Firefox and it will pull up my homepage while IE is still sitting there blank.

Doesn't happen all the time.  But often enough.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Well, Chrome rocks for many

Well, Chrome rocks for many reasons, but I like the fact that it is light.  I also do a bit of work with Chromium (  http://www.chromium.org  ), both browser and OS, so I'm used to how it works, and can troubleshoot it really quickly if anything doesn't work off the bat.  

If you ever have IE or any other browser not function properly, it takes many hours to get it to perform 100%, or to get anything to show properly from a developer's perspective.  Chrome is so well documented and so accessible that I have yet to change one registry key in Windows to fix anything.  Everything is fixable from within the browser's options.  I practically know the IE registry tree by heart because it sucks so badly.  Firefox tries too hard in my opinion, it can work properly but you have to tweak the hell out of it.  Opera I run because the mobile apps we use at work for Windows CE are based on that browser, not a bad little browser but it doesn't do anything exceptional.  Just another browser. 

I just had a beef with Furry's unsubstantiated claim that Chrome sux...  It is the best out of the box browser I have ever used, and I can be considered a power-user, and a developer.  The other claim about Google I thought she was jesting.  She strikes me as a Mac user Smiling Probably has a pink carrying case for the Mac-air and thinks it's the shit. 

Edit: fixed link

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline

Sapient wrote:

1. Google Chrome

2. Firefox

3. IE

As for Google... not only aren't they evil, but they are poised to be the most innovative internet company in the world as we move forward.  Forget about Apple, buy your Google stock now (symbol: GOOG) before it hits $1,000.  

Best internet company by far... google.

Isn't Google's motto "Don't be evil"?  In The Mind of The Market, by Michael Shermer, he praises Google as being an excellent example of a good corporation -- Enron being the example of an evil one.  He said the CEO from Enron took the wrong message from Dawkins' book The Selfish Gene.  After I read that I liked Google a lot more; it seems like a cool place to work too.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm on a mac, so Chrome,

I'm on a mac, so Chrome, Firefox, Safari.

Ktulu wrote:
But I'm sure Furry has much better proof to back up her comment.  Perhaps it's not kosher?

Lol. 

Ktulu wrote:
Probably has a pink carrying case for the Mac-air and thinks it's the shit.

The Mac-air is the Mac-noob, as opposed to the Mac-pro.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Perhaps some background is

Perhaps some background is in order, because Chrome does seem to be the best browser for people who are NOT heavy-duty web users.

What Chrome appears to do is create an entire Windows' process for just about each and every web page that is open.  This is a big win because it seems to make the threading work better, and that can give better performance.

However, I typically have a dozen or more windows, browsers, applications, etc. open ALL AT ONCE.  In that kind of environment, Chrome's footprint grows to the point where I've seen more than 1,000MB of active memory at a time.  For example, 90KB is nothing, and 113KB for Firefox is also nothing.  But my current Firefox process is 783MB and the peak working set was 1,260MB.  The worse part of it is that at 20MB per second off the drive -- which isn't too bad for Windows on a laptop -- paging a 1,260MB working set takes 25 seconds.  If 1,260MB has to be paged out, that's another 25 seconds.

In my experience, Chrome would be about 20 to 30 percent =more=.

Something else to keep in my -- I literally wear computers out.  There are 13 keycaps on my keyboard that no longer have print on them.  Of those 13, four are showing signs that I may well wear THROUGH the keycap at some point.  The "S" key has gouges more than 1mm deep from my finger nail striking the keyboard and I will likely wear through it first.  My keyboard at my old job had a 1/8" (3 or 4mm in the Metric world) ridge that was worn into the space bar.  Other keys had very large amounts of wear -- measurable loss of material on them.

As regards being Kosher -- it isn't a plant or a fish or a bird that's not a bird of prey.  It lacks cloven hooves and doesn't chew its cud.  Based on that, it is not kosher.  However, it isn't an insect, reptile, amphibian, crustacean =or= any other forbidden animal.  So perhaps it is.  But I am =not= going to ask a Rabbi.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

However, I typically have a dozen or more windows, browsers, applications, etc. open ALL AT ONCE.  In that kind of environment, Chrome's footprint grows to the point where I've seen more than 1,000MB of active memory at a time.  For example, 90KB is nothing, and 113KB for Firefox is also nothing.  But my current Firefox process is 783MB and the peak working set was 1,260MB.  The worse part of it is that at 20MB per second off the drive -- which isn't too bad for Windows on a laptop -- paging a 1,260MB working set takes 25 seconds.  If 1,260MB has to be paged out, that's another 25 seconds.

I'm not going to get my nerd glasses on and fix my pocket protector, but those are 113,000K since 1024=1M you're looking at over 100M with just one window running rationalresponders.com for Firefox.  Those 4 browsers are close to 400M with just one session, one tab (except for Chrome running the website and memory allocation).  You will not get an accurate reading of memory usage from windows task manager as the processes are broken down as they rely on the shell... (fixes tapped up glasses).  Firefox, to my knowledge is the only one that provides accurate memory usage as one process.  I run an I5 /windows 7 /xp and linux/8G  of ram laptop so I'm not really worried about my personal experience, but I do have to watch the impact on resources, especially on a PDA environment where processing = battery life, even if it appears to be functioning tip-top.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
My bad -- that 113KB should

My bad -- that 113KB should have been 113MB in my reply.

There is a point where paging I/O ceases to be reasonable because the operating system can no longer maintain enough free space to readily page whatever processes are being paged in, without engaging in massive amounts of paging out.

In the case of Chrome, the design point (so far as I can tell ...) is to trade "more memory" for "more processing", which is always a perfectly valid design decision (writes the woman who's spent 25+ years of her life on operating system design and implementation ...), but design decisions can result in pathological cases where performance hits a wall.

To give you an idea, 20 years (or so) ago, I worked on a operating system where certain assumptions lead to a simplified algorithm with had performance that was in the order of objects cubed (n^3, O(n^3) for geeks) with a small constant in front -- it was very fast and very reasonable for small data sets.  Over time, these assumptions proved to be invalid and I redesigned the same code about 7 or 8 years ago so that it had performance that was closer to the logarithm of the number of objects, but was more computationally complex and required more memory.  Initial benchmarks showed a 10,000 times speed-up on the data sets which were in use at the time.

Chrome is fast only so long as the user is viewing a small number of different websites.  Which I don't do.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The virus-proof nature of

The virus-proof nature of Sony's PS3 browser is it's single greatest feature. It can't open more than 6 windows, and often runs out of memory when loading multiple medias (open a page with 10 youtube vids and the system starts downloading all of them simultaneously, resulting in memory problems).
And the text limit sucks. And its a bit out of date for some sites to run properly.

But I can go to a site with every virus in existence present, and load the page quickly, while causing absolutely no damage to the system. Which has been useful on occasion. It's like safe mode for the net. Lose a couple features to gain invulnerability. A fair trade, I think.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Been messing around with

Been messing around with waterfox lately, it's firefox for 64-bit machines.