Server Load and Network Traffic

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Server Load and Network Traffic

Greets,

Now that there is more than one thread I'm trying to =actively= participate in, I've really gotten in touch with just how DOG SLOW the server is.  But in looking at the page content, I've also realized that other than link spam pages, this site has more CRUD on it, all aimed at trying to make money, than any other website I've ever been on, period, without exception.

Has anyone (Sapient?!?) looked at how much load comes from all the advertising and whether or not all that advertising is actually producing enough revenue to, perhaps, get a faster server?!?

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
The adds are bot programs

The adds are bot programs controlled by national contracts with his server,  he has nothing to do with. And having a old computer myself even with a slow speed I a am not complaining.

My worst complaint is having to click on an OP and then scroll down to click on the last post of the thread. Speed, as old as I am I guess is lost on me. I have an 04 computer with basic DSL which is nothing special.

I don't expect Micheal J Fox with a time machine on the net myself. I am not a programmer or gamer so with simply posting and checking my e-mail I am fine.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
I understand that the ads

I understand that the ads aren't something he's =choosing=.  If anything, the ads seem to indicate that Sapient is a Fundamentalist Christian who's trying to get me to marry a nice guy and have babies.

However, the HTML for them has to be rendered somehow by his server, unless they are IFRAMEs or included from somewhere else.  Frankly, I'm boggled that he puts up with the massive amount of overhead they are generating and the nuisance to his users.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Quote:However, the HTML for

Quote:
However, the HTML for them has to be rendered somehow by his server, unless they are IFRAMEs or included from somewhere else.  Frankly, I'm boggled that he puts up with the massive amount of overhead they are generating and the nuisance to his users.

You obviously haven't been to other forums; the bot problem on here is WAAAAY more under control than a majority of other sites.  He can't put a collar on every single ad that manages to infiltrate every thread; just happens.  Don't be boggled; just be aware that he is aware and ignore them.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:I

FurryCatHerder wrote:

I understand that the ads aren't something he's =choosing=.  If anything, the ads seem to indicate that Sapient is a Fundamentalist Christian who's trying to get me to marry a nice guy and have babies.

Get a real computer Smiling god helps those who help themselves Smiling

Use Chrome for a browser and disable Java and other crap like pictures, it will smoooooooth things over with a shitty older computer.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sage_Override

Sage_Override wrote:

Quote:

You obviously haven't been to other forums; the bot problem on here is WAAAAY more under control than a majority of other sites.  He can't put a collar on every single ad that manages to infiltrate every thread; just happens.  Don't be boggled; just be aware that he is aware and ignore them.

She's talking about the ads on the side bars and page tops, etc; not spam in threads.

To be honest, only google loads faster for me than this site. I can often open and read a topic while waiting for a page to load elsewhere. Which is not to say I'd be adverse to upgrades and less ad clutter, merely that I probably wouldn't notice.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Sage_Override

Vastet wrote:
Sage_Override wrote:

Quote:

She's talking about the ads on the side bars and page tops, etc; not spam in threads. To be honest, only google loads faster for me than this site. I can often open and read a topic while waiting for a page to load elsewhere. Which is not to say I'd be adverse to upgrades and less ad clutter, merely that I probably wouldn't notice.

I've not run into SPAM-bots here -- I thought whomever was mistakenly referring to all the ads on the top and sides as bot-based.

THAT's what I'm complaining about -- that there are a dozen or more DNS look-ups and downloads and everything else, all to support advertisements that seem to be intentional.

And no, not at all an old computer -- fairly modern 64-bit AMD multi-core processor with phat amounts of RAM and the like.

The other thing I find weird is that all the ads seem to be for things I =don't= want.  I just got =three= Time Warner Cable ads and I'd love nothing more to dump them, if I could ever find an Internet provider who wants my business.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:FurryCatHerder

Ktulu wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Get a real computer Smiling god helps those who help themselves Smiling

Heh.  I have a feeling my realest computer is more real than your realest computer Eye-wink  I watch all the DNS lookups as the page gets loaded -- that's the problem.

Ktulu wrote:
Use Chrome for a browser and disable Java and other crap like pictures, it will smoooooooth things over with a shitty older computer.

Chrome has =so= many problems.  The memory footprint is unreal and Chrome's aggressive grabbing of every megabyte of memory it can get its hands on is unacceptable.  Chrome is a virus, Google is Evil.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:Has

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Has anyone (Sapient?!?) looked at how much load comes from all the advertising and whether or not all that advertising is actually producing enough revenue to, perhaps, get a faster server?!?

Of course.  I've got it under control.  Thanks for the concern though.  Our speed issues are not related to advertising.  It's related to memory recall of the content.  The new server will help by leaps and bounds.  We wouldn't have been able to get to this point in our history without the advertising which has helped offset costs for years now.