What did Santa bring everybody?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
What did Santa bring everybody?

I got, gift certificates, socks, clothes, and candy.  The usual.

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline

I won't know until tonight.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
I got Redskins stuff, eye

I got Redskins stuff, eye glasses I needed, and a smile from my mom from her from poems I wrote from the cat, dog and me, that I wrote for her. And the time, that is the most important to me.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline

I got some interesting books.  1) "why we believe in god(s): a concise guide to the science of faith," by Dr. Andy Thomson, 2) "The God Debates: A 21st Century Guide for Atheists and Believers (and Everyone in Between," by John Shook, 3) "The Believing Brain: From Ghosts and Gods to Politics and Conspiracies -- How We Construct Beliefs and Reinforce Them as Truths," by Michael Shermer, and 4) "The Grand Design," by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow.  I'm looking forward to what John Shook, the philosopher, has to say.

I also got gift certificates, socks, clothes, and candy. 

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:I got,

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I got, gift certificates, socks, clothes, and candy.  The usual.

I got new bonsai tools (2 sets) and a book which I have waited for since 2009 called The Stan Lee Universe (strange story is that this gift was held up due to some legal issues and it took two years to get delivered), dark chocolate candy, cookies, yuca chips, new shirts, special sauces and spices from around the world, seeds for various pine trees, a new Land's End rain jacket/wind breaker which is really really nice (in my opinion, the best one I've ever owned) and other various nick nacks.

(edit) oh and I got a new blue tooth device (the double ear kind)

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
I keep asking Santa for

I keep asking Santa for Angelina Jolie unwrapped under my tree, but the prude and his elves year after year never deliver.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll play

One son sent a check so I can buy a new laptop.  I'm ecstatic.  With careful shopping, there is enough left over to pay for the internet connection for a few months as well.  The new laptop has been ordered already.  Reconditioned corporate lease buyback, hardly been used, 4 gig ram, 320 gig hard drive.  Who-hoo. 

Another son sent me a jigsaw puzzle.  He doesn't have much money and I am touched he made the effort to purchase and ship.  Our tradition when they were all young, was to buy an interesting, huge, complex, jigsaw puzzle then set it up on a card table.  The boys would mess with it while I cleaned up and got dinner going.  Something quiet and absorbing - it seemed to cut the noise level down a lot.  And he remembered.

And new slippers.  Hey, one dog chewed on the old pair and then another dog pissed on them.  The new ones are a lot warmer, too.  And I put them up where the dogs can't reach.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
cj wrote:One son sent a

cj wrote:

One son sent a check so I can buy a new laptop.  I'm ecstatic.  With careful shopping, there is enough left over to pay for the internet connection for a few months as well.  The new laptop has been ordered already.  Reconditioned corporate lease buyback, hardly been used, 4 gig ram, 320 gig hard drive.  Who-hoo. 

Another son sent me a jigsaw puzzle.  He doesn't have much money and I am touched he made the effort to purchase and ship.  Our tradition when they were all young, was to buy an interesting, huge, complex, jigsaw puzzle then set it up on a card table.  The boys would mess with it while I cleaned up and got dinner going.  Something quiet and absorbing - it seemed to cut the noise level down a lot.  And he remembered.

And new slippers.  Hey, one dog chewed on the old pair and then another dog pissed on them.  The new ones are a lot warmer, too.  And I put them up where the dogs can't reach.

Why the hell were you born so long ago and why the hell was I born when I was? I got misty reading this, I really did. You treat life as it comes and you see it for what it is.

I really could have used you as a friend growing up.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:cj

Brian37 wrote:

cj wrote:

smaltzy stuff......

Why the hell were you born so long ago and why the hell was I born when I was? I got misty reading this, I really did. You treat life as it comes and you see it for what it is.

Pooh.  Deal with what you got, an old lady friend on the internet. 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
cj wrote:Brian37 wrote:cj

cj wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

cj wrote:

smaltzy stuff......

Pooh.  Deal with what you got, an old lady friend on the internet. 

LOL just what I expected. You are the best. And no, you do not have a stalker.

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Let's see... It was an art

Let's see...

It was an art X-mas this year.  Got two really cool pieces, reproductions of course, but they're so damn neat.  One is a Jimi Hendrix reproduction canvas where his head and the neck of his guitar blends in with the background of the cosmos; really groovy.  The other is a black-lacquered caricature reproduction by an artist named Justin Reed and the scene is from Reservoir Dogs in the warehouse and the piece is called "The Meeting Place."  They look cool as fuck hanging up in my house .

Also got a small computer tool kit and some Musk Fire cologne.  Pretty solid things.  Couldn't be happier about the art since I used to paint a lot and I think it's making me want to start again.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Sage_Override wrote:Let's

Sage_Override wrote:

Let's see...

It was an art X-mas this year.  Got two really cool pieces, reproductions of course, but they're so damn neat.  One is a Jimi Hendrix reproduction canvas where his head and the neck of his guitar blends in with the background of the cosmos; really groovy.  The other is a black-lacquered caricature reproduction by an artist named Justin Reed and the scene is from Reservoir Dogs in the warehouse and the piece is called "The Meeting Place."  They look cool as fuck hanging up in my house .

Also got a small computer tool kit and some Musk Fire cologne.  Pretty solid things.  Couldn't be happier about the art since I used to paint a lot and I think it's making me want to start again.

I paint all the time, but do I really need to tell you what I mean by "paint"?

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I paint all the time,

Quote:

*sigh*  Only you, Brian...

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Sage_Override wrote:Quote:I

Sage_Override wrote:

Quote:

*sigh*  Only you, Brian...

Meh, it's a living.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not nearly enough, but this

Not nearly enough, but this is perhaps my best kept secret: that I am an ungrateful sonuvabitch during the rare times I get disappointed in my adulthood. And it isn't to say I don't already have it made, because I do... I just sometimes succeed in always wanting more, regardless of the context. This is worth pointing out because (as I hinted at in my blogpost), I often don't give a rat's what I get as long as I succeed in getting everyone to leave me alone in my ever-important solitude.

This is also worth pointing out because I have a goal and a budget to reach this closely guarded secret goal. While I pass muster for the goal, it interferes with my usual games budget. Oh well.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)