Self repairing electronics are on the way

Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Self repairing electronics are on the way

ScienceDaily (Dec. 20, 2011)— When one tiny circuit within an integrated chip cracks or fails, the whole chip -- or even the whole device -- is a loss. But what if it could fix itself, and fix itself so fast that the user never knew there was a problem?
~
The Illinois team previously developed a system for self-healing polymer materials and decided to adapt their technique for conductive systems. They dispersed tiny microcapsules, as small as 10 microns in diameter, on top of a gold line functioning as a circuit. As a crack propagates, the microcapsules break open and release the liquid metal contained inside. The liquid metal fills in the gap in the circuit, restoring electrical flow.

Full article:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/12/111220133938.htm

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Does this new technology

Does this new technology come with a free Sarah Conner?

I'll be the good terminator "Come with me if you want to live".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
They - maybe not this team,

They - maybe not this team, but some team, somewhere - has been working on this idea since the mid-80s and possibly sooner.  It was floated as an idea in "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream", March 1967.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
Sage_Override's picture
User is offlineOffline
Has something to do with

Has something to do with microscopic nanobots.  This has been proposed a few years ago for medical technology and I hope they get the ball rolling soon.

"When the majority believes in what is false, the truth becomes a quest." - Me