Lol. Colbert is awesome.

Lol. Colbert is awesome.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cobert had weeks of fun

Cobert had weeks of fun after O'Reilly pulled that crap. He also had Neil Degrees Tyson in on a joke on O' Reilly.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Tide goes in stain comes

Tide goes in stain comes out

You can't explain that.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Tide

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Tide goes in stain comes out

You can't explain that.

"You are like Thomas Aquinas in that your understanding of science is also from the thirteenth's century."  (paraphrasing)  That's humor Smiling

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline

Yeah, Colbert is great at pointing out absurdities.  I wish Jon Stewart would bring back his segment This Week in God.  They seemed to have ended it after the Bush administration ended.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I love the Arab reporter on

I love the Arab reporter on Stewart. I think he really helps all sides look at Arabs as being able to laugh at themselves as much as John makes fun of his own Jewish tradition. He'd make a great Arab Mel Brooks.

Me, I would be more along the lines of an atheist Andrew Dice Clay with a dose of Luis Black thrown in, that's if I didn't have stage fright or the memory span of a pea.

Anyone see the clip of Black when he ripped Cheney a new one over the hunting fiasco? Gut buster to no end.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Philosophicus wrote:Yeah,

Philosophicus wrote:

Yeah, Colbert is great at pointing out absurdities.  I wish Jon Stewart would bring back his segment This Week in God.  They seemed to have ended it after the Bush administration ended.

Everyone appears to be leaning to a Republican president next time. That might bring it back.

It really was a great segment but it was done by Colbert and sometimes Steve Carrell. Those guys are hard to top or even emulate

Bo-peep-bo-bop....

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

hellisyou
hellisyou's picture
User is offlineOffline
Right leaning populus?

I strongly doubt that even a recognizable majority of US at this point would vote Republican. The religious right is fairly large, but it's not encompassing. Call it wishful thinking, but I think [of all people] Pat Robertson is actually correct when he pointed out that even if these idiots believe in all this crazy shit, they're ruining their own campaigns with all this highly publicized bible stroking. As tired as this might already sound, I hope it will be a sincerely sobering experience for the GOP the day one of their hopefuls has to debate or even hold a conversation with Obama.

"There's no six six six in outer-space."

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think the US just needs

I think the US just needs one credible left or right wing party springing up over a decade or so to shove the Republicans into non-existence and the Democrats into the right wing or back into the left where they "belong". The Republicans have gone too far to remain capable of governing, and the Democrats don't need to do anything at all to get elected, making it so they don't need to put effort into making strategies and plans to get elected and beyond. Something similar was happening in Canada for awhile, but the transition is nearly over. Our Liberal party is practically irrelevant now, replaced by the New Democrats. Predicated by the reinvention of the Conservative party at the same time the Liberals were coasting on multiple decades of dominance.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I love the

Brian37 wrote:

I love the Arab reporter on Stewart. I think he really helps all sides look at Arabs as being able to laugh at themselves as much as John makes fun of his own Jewish tradition. He'd make a great Arab Mel Brooks.

Aasif Mandvi isn't an Arab, He's Indian. He's a Muslim, but to be an Arab he'd have to be from Saudi Arabia, or at the very least from the area historically known as Arabia. Just thought I'd point that out.

I mean, I know all this race bullshit is pretty tiresome, and doesn't really mean anything one way or the other, but people tend to take this stuff really seriously. I mean, I'm not a Norwegian, I'm a Dane, and even though Norwegians are perfectly nice people, and are so similar to Danes that most foreigners probably couldn't tell the difference, I'd still be a little miffed if somebody called me a Norwegian. Silly, I know, but if terms like Dane, African, Arab, American, Nigerian, Anglo-saxon et.c. are to mean anything, they should at least be applied as correctly as possible..

Furthermore, to your point, noticing that Aasif is Indian does indicate that his experience of being a Muslim is probably alot different from the typical Arab's experience. Aasif has grown up in India, as part of a Muslim minority in a Hindu country, which probablyt gives him a very different outlook on his Religion and heritage than growing up in the heart of cultural Islam would have done.

Finally, there is something to be said for the point that Aasif Mandvi is neither Arab nor Indian, but rather that he is American. I mean he lives and works in America, and has done so for a long time hasn't he?

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:Aasif has

Nikolaj wrote:

Aasif has grown up in India, as part of a Muslim minority in a Hindu country, which probably gives him a very different outlook on his Religion and heritage than growing up in the heart of cultural Islam would have done.

He grew up in England.

Nikolaj wrote:

I'm not a Norwegian, I'm a Dane...

Would you say that you are a Great Dane?

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Nikolaj

Watcher wrote:

Nikolaj wrote:

Aasif has grown up in India, as part of a Muslim minority in a Hindu country, which probably gives him a very different outlook on his Religion and heritage than growing up in the heart of cultural Islam would have done.

He grew up in England.

Oh okay. I knew he was born in India, but that's all I knew of him, so I stand corrected. But since he grew up in England, it seems as reasonable as anything to call him an Englishman then.

Watcher wrote:

Nikolaj wrote:

I'm not a Norwegian, I'm a Dane...

Would you say that you are a Great Dane?

No, just a good Dane Eye-wink Or, if great is a reference to size (which I suspect it would be in this context), I'd say a quite average sized Dane, if a bit on the skinny side.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:No, just a

Nikolaj wrote:

No, just a good Dane Eye-wink Or, if great is a reference to size (which I suspect it would be in this context), I'd say a quite average sized Dane, if a bit on the skinny side.

Ah, no.   Not what I was going for.

A Great Dane:

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci