All I want for Christmas is a camera that can photograph an individual photon.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
All I want for Christmas is a camera that can photograph an individual photon.

I have got to get me one of those Smiling 

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2011/12/13/ultra-high-speed-camera-records-at-speed-of-light/

Article wrote:

Researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (M.I.T.) have developed an imaging system that can acquire visual data at a rate of one trillion exposures per second–fast enough to produce a slow-motion video of a burst of light traveling the length of a one-liter bottle, bouncing off the cap and reflecting back to the bottle’s bottom.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
User is offlineOffline
I. FUCKING. LOVE.

I. FUCKING. LOVE. SCIENCE.

Too bad religion holds it back otherwise, we'd all have one of these in our homes...

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, a trillion fps is

Yeah, a trillion fps is pretty cool. Too bad it only works in two dimensions though.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Yeah, a

Vastet wrote:
Yeah, a trillion fps is pretty cool. Too bad it only works in two dimensions though.

We have 3d HD Tvs now, I doubt it would take that long to fix that problem.

Oh yea and FUCKING WAY BETTER THAN ANY BOOK OF MYTH!

Now if they could just invent a vending machine that pops out nothing but Angelina Jolies I'd be set for life.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's a bit more complicated

It's a bit more complicated than that. Yes, a 4D video could theoretically be made of a moving object, but you'd be filming it billions of times (probably billions of billions of times, per spacial dimension) and then translating the data and compiling it all into a single film. Considering it's already taking months to compile a 2D shot (time and one spacial dimension), I don't see it ever being used outside a lab. Stop motion is a breeze in comparison.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.