Question for Christians: What Happened to the Gifts of the Magi?

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
Posts: 1248
Joined: 2006-11-16
User is offlineOffline
Question for Christians: What Happened to the Gifts of the Magi?

In the spirit of the season, I'd like to ask:  

What happened to the gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh that  the 3 ayatollahs brought to the baby jesus?  

Were they used to bribe Herod's baby-killers into sparing the kid; as starting capital for jesus' ministry; or just to purchase Joseph's silence, so Mary could go on pretending to be a virgin?

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††


FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
Posts: 1253
Joined: 2007-06-02
User is offlineOffline
They were exchanged for

They were exchanged for something more useful, like warm clothes and blankets.


EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
Posts: 3139
Joined: 2008-01-17
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:They

FurryCatHerder wrote:

They were exchanged for something more useful, like warm clothes and blankets.

Why? I thought Jesus could just ask daddy for whatever he wanted. Couldn't he just ask for warm weather? He fed the thousands without any money, so why does he need to by clothes.

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” Seneca


Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
Sage_Override's picture
Posts: 582
Joined: 2008-10-14
User is offlineOffline
The gifts were eventually

The gifts were eventually cast into the deepest part of the ocean where it went to stay with Cthulhu in his domain.  He didn't really care for the frankincense, but thought the gold was shiny and the myrrh he chewed on for a couple hundred years beating out any human attempt to chew gum for an extended amount of time, but because he's a dark god from another dimension, Guinness refused to acknowledge his record and now you know why most people fear his eventual return; he wants his recognition, damn it, and he'll GET IT.

"When the majority believes in what is false, the truth becomes a quest." - Me


FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
Posts: 1253
Joined: 2007-06-02
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:FurryCatHerder

EXC wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

They were exchanged for something more useful, like warm clothes and blankets.

Why? I thought Jesus could just ask daddy for whatever he wanted. Couldn't he just ask for warm weather? He fed the thousands without any money, so why does he need to by clothes.

No clue.  Jews don't believe in Magic Sky Daddy type deities.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."


Watcher
atheist
Posts: 2326
Joined: 2007-07-10
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote:In the

zarathustra wrote:

In the spirit of the season, I'd like to ask:  

What happened to the gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh that  the 3 ayatollahs brought to the baby jesus?  

Were they used to bribe Herod's baby-killers into sparing the kid; as starting capital for jesus' ministry; or just to purchase Joseph's silence, so Mary could go on pretending to be a virgin?

Joseph spent it on cheap booze and loose women.  If the Catholics are correct and Joseph and Mary never bumped uglies that's what I would do.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci


zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
Posts: 1248
Joined: 2006-11-16
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Joseph spent

Watcher wrote:
Joseph spent it on cheap booze and loose women. If the Catholics are correct and Joseph and Mary never bumped uglies that's what I would do.

Understandable -- although I don't think Nazareth was famous for its lap dances, based on the archaeology.  

Just seems a bit absurd that god would guide Beam, Daniels and Walker all the way from East Farooq to a toolshed in Betlehem, only to have their expensive merchandise squandered away without a trace. 

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:EXC

FurryCatHerder wrote:

EXC wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

They were exchanged for something more useful, like warm clothes and blankets.

Why? I thought Jesus could just ask daddy for whatever he wanted. Couldn't he just ask for warm weather? He fed the thousands without any money, so why does he need to by clothes.

No clue.  Jews don't believe in Magic Sky Daddy type deities.

Well...technically...since you acknowledge the existence of El and Yahweh, you do believe in sky-gods.

You just don't consider them magic or daddies

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
Posts: 1253
Joined: 2007-06-02
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly

jcgadfly wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

No clue.  Jews don't believe in Magic Sky Daddy type deities.

Well...technically...since you acknowledge the existence of El and Yahweh, you do believe in sky-gods.

You just don't consider them magic or daddies

Well ... technically ... I said "Magic Sky Daddy type deities."  My signature makes it pretty clear I do believe in Ha'El Ha'Kadosh Baruch Hu.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

No clue.  Jews don't believe in Magic Sky Daddy type deities.

Well...technically...since you acknowledge the existence of El and Yahweh, you do believe in sky-gods.

You just don't consider them magic or daddies

Well ... technically ... I said "Magic Sky Daddy type deities."  My signature makes it pretty clear I do believe in Ha'El Ha'Kadosh Baruch Hu.

So you have a daddy deity that lives in the sky that isn't a magic sky daddy type deity?

Or do you just not acknowledge him as a father (making him a magic sky deadbeat daddy type deity?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13759
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
That's what all three don't

That's what all three don't get. Why does everything have to be a fucking Broadway stage production?

And not only a production, but one with all those pretty stories that gloss over the nasty side of their super heros.

"Gifts nice" yea, but look at all the violence before during and after, just to set you up to go "awe, they gave him gifts"

The reality of the god/s of Abraham is that you get Frankenstein glossed over with frankincense. It would be as laughable as a b-horror movie if these gods were not believed to be real.

The god's of the literary line of Abraham are nothing but Maffia bosses who fool you with the gifts while holding your autonomy hostage under threat while bribing you with utopias that don't exist.

It is the same type of stage production crap that pro Wrestling and Jerry Springer use to sell their crap.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37