When religion and culture clash

Dmasterman
atheist
User is offlineOffline
When religion and culture clash

A common argument I get is when religious folk say that by bashing on their religion you're also bashing on their culture. I was told by Muslims, Christians and Jews that their religious lifestyles are also cultural. So if you were to bash or argue with a muslim for women wearing a veil they can easily say "Well you're just insulting our culture etc etc" and that there are a lot of cultures whether religious or not that have irrational standards, laws points of view. So I tend to hear "If you're against our culture why aren't you against the other cultures that have irrational ways of living?"

So basically how do you try to argue with someone about their religion if they use "their culture" as a shield? I mean sure we could also just say "Well your culture sucks too"

any thoughts ?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dmasterman wrote:A common

Dmasterman wrote:

A common argument I get is when religious folk say that by bashing on their religion you're also bashing on their culture. I was told by Muslims, Christians and Jews that their religious lifestyles are also cultural. So if you were to bash or argue with a muslim for women wearing a veil they can easily say "Well you're just insulting our culture etc etc" and that there are a lot of cultures whether religious or not that have irrational standards, laws points of view. So I tend to hear "If you're against our culture why aren't you against the other cultures that have irrational ways of living?"

So basically how do you try to argue with someone about their religion if they use "their culture" as a shield? I mean sure we could also just say "Well your culture sucks too"

any thoughts ?

If blasphemy were truly a death penalty crime then Israel would have stuck the needle in Mel Brooks arm a long time ago.

It would be nice if humans would not fear "what the fuck, that is bullshit" AND at the same time have the ability to laugh at themselves.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The biggest threat to

The biggest threat to rational discourse after religion is culture. The arguments are often similar. But it all boils down to endless repetition of generally pointless and often harmful activities through generations without the majority applying critical thought to the consequences.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:The biggest

Vastet wrote:
The biggest threat to rational discourse after religion is culture. The arguments are often similar. But it all boils down to endless repetition of generally pointless and often harmful activities through generations without the majority applying critical thought to the consequences.

If Rednef cant beat his tactic into me anymore than I can beat my tactic into him, how does force work better than appeal? All humans can do is appeal. I think the best thing while doing that is having the ability to laugh at oneself.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog