I'm sorry.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5487
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
I'm sorry.

Alright, I'm sorry I wasted your time pretending to be drunk. I just like to manipulate men, especially sexually ergo the themes of the topics. Yes I have a reputation as a stuck up prude, but even I need to let loose once in a while.

 

I'm also sorry about my snarky little jabs at various users, including Sapient. A lot of times I just get frustrated and need to lash out and I guess I pick the closest target which would be you guys. A little bit of snark and sass is thrown in. Too much I know.

 

I know I give off the impression that I want to tear down the atheist movement from inside out, but that's not the case, I want the atheist movement to flourish. But I want it to do so in the right way, not the wrong way. Hamby has been on my ass for a while about being the royal opposition of only voicing my concerns when I disagree. I'm slowly learning.

 

I remember when I first came to this site as a Christian and showing the aggression. I even remember the couple times I flipped out and outright told people to fuck off. I PMed Hamby about it, and realized that that wasn't really the best approach.

 

So no, don't think this site hasn't had an effect on me. You guys are trying to get me more outspoken about religion and Hamby has been trying to turn me into a Liberal.

 

Important note, I'm not apologizing, nor will I, for critisizing the RRS. I do think unapologetic confrontalism is a good tactic. I do think getting rid of religion is a realistic and good goal, but that doesn't give us free reign.

 

 

 

 

 


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
I'm not interested in

I'm not interested in responding to anything but this...

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Important note, I'm not apologizing, nor will I, for critisizing the RRS. I do think unapologetic confrontalism is a good tactic. I do think getting rid of religion is a realistic and good goal, but that doesn't give us free reign.

I think part of your problem is that you have an image of RRS of 5 yrs ago.  The argument I hear you echo and actually get specific with is that you disagree that theism is a mental disorder.  I don't care.  That argument isn't important to me right now.  It served it's purpose for us to make that argument, I don't disagree with it, but it's not of importance for me to make that argument right now.  Now I'm working on a different project.  My upcoming project has much more to do with increasing the numbers of people who are open about their atheism.  It'll also increase the people willing to define themselves as atheists.  It has nothing at all to do with theism being a mental disorder.  The only time anyone ever mentions mental disorder and theism lately is you to build it up and tear it down.   

We're on a new topic now Pineapple.  Here's what I say about the new topic (atheismunited) on the atheism united home page:

This project aims to display the name of every atheist website in the world and promote the page thereby making exposure to all of those sites exponentially greater. This is a project about a large group of the population that has been oppressed, persecuted, marginalized, and made to feel bad about themselves for hundreds of years. This is simply an attempt for a feel good project that shows all of what atheism has accomplished since the dawn of the internet. An overwhelmingly beautiful display of the spread of knowledge and information is what this would be. If there is a person that can not allow that concept to form peaceably without retribution, a good person must stand up for that inequality. 

 

Is that person you Pineapple?  Are you so emotionally attached to an argument from several years ago, or an action from several years ago that you can't let a professional activist do his thing?  You take me for a clutz who can't act professional?  You'd be wrong.  

Feel free to lodge a new complaint if mental disorder/theism is not the complaint.  It's ridiculous that I have to guess at what your problems are because you don't make them clear.  You just always have problems.  Give me a chance to not be who I was 5 years ago, ok?  Unless of course you want me to treat you like the Christian you were 5 years ago.  People change over time, and I shouldn't have to clue you in on that.

 

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Lion IRC
Theist
Lion IRC's picture
Posts: 158
Joined: 2011-03-16
User is offlineOffline
Do you have to pretend to be an atheist to post in here.

What is "free" about a free thinkers forum which imposes ideological apartheid?

A Berlin Wall...?

Do you delete posts restrospectively if someone (like ubuntuanyone) de-de-converts?

I never understood "The Beekman", "Heretics Hall", etc.

 


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
 Don't take offense to the

 Don't take offense to the word "free" pretend like the it's called "Atheist forum."  It's a little slice of heaven for atheists.  So how long did the other atheist site ban you for?

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Lion IRC
Theist
Lion IRC's picture
Posts: 158
Joined: 2011-03-16
User is offlineOffline
No offense. :-)

That other place banned me til December 21.

*sniff*

Waddayagonnado?

Anyway.........


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
 When did the ban start?

 When did the ban start?

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13823
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Lion IRC wrote:What is

Lion IRC wrote:

What is "free" about a free thinkers forum which imposes ideological apartheid?

A Berlin Wall...?

Do you delete posts restrospectively if someone (like ubuntuanyone) de-de-converts?

I never understood "The Beekman", "Heretics Hall", etc.

 

Oh you mean the section where theists can't post?

If I say I want to talk to my mom alone, just because she lives in a retirement home with other people, am I discriminating against the other tenants in the building because we want to talk alone in her apartment?

Sometimes people want to talk alone without being disturbed. EVERYONE does that and that is not discrimination. Discrimination would be not allowing theists at the website at all.

When you go dine out are you allowed to cook the food yourself? If you go over to a friends house and they ask to talk to their wife in a separate room and ask you to wait in the living room, are they discriminating against you?

You are in this "house" and if I am not mistaken, you can still read those posts, so it is not like the site is hiding anything. You are still welcome to post in the other sections even on the topics we post in that section.

No discrimination, no wall. Just you taking it out of context.

Would I be welcome to disturb a church service as an atheist even if they welcomed me into the church?

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Lion IRC
Theist
Lion IRC's picture
Posts: 158
Joined: 2011-03-16
User is offlineOffline
Papercut? Lemon juice?

Sapient wrote:

 When did the ban start?

 

4 more points?

Its a 1 month ban/suspension. Thanks for helping me re-live a painful memory. Papercut now? Lemon juice?

I had a thingy over at Pharyngula a while ago (before I was plonked and then unplonked...Thanks PZ) and one of the folk tried reverse psychology on me by pointing out that every time I posted I put money in PZ Myers pocket.
WHAT? ...says Lion IRC.
I'm not missing any money. I never spent 1 cent for the privilege of posting there.
They tried to explain to me that my posts triggered payments by sponsors...............blah blah blah..something...something...(PPC marketing jargon etc etc Yawn.)

More fool them says I.

Imagine paying for something you can get for free.

A penny for your thoughts...?

 
 


Lion IRC
Theist
Lion IRC's picture
Posts: 158
Joined: 2011-03-16
User is offlineOffline
Context.

Brian37 wrote:

Lion IRC wrote:

What is "free" about a free thinkers forum which imposes ideological apartheid?

A Berlin Wall...?

Do you delete posts restrospectively if someone (like ubuntuanyone) de-de-converts?

I never understood "The Beekman", "Heretics Hall", etc.

 

Oh you mean the section where theists can't post?

If I say I want to talk to my mom alone, just because she lives in a retirement home with other people, am I discriminating against the other tenants in the building because we want to talk alone in her apartment?

Sometimes people want to talk alone without being disturbed. EVERYONE does that and that is not discrimination. Discrimination would be not allowing theists at the website at all.

When you go dine out are you allowed to cook the food yourself? If you go over to a friends house and they ask to talk to their wife in a separate room and ask you to wait in the living room, are they discriminating against you?

You are in this "house" and if I am not mistaken, you can still read those posts, so it is not like the site is hiding anything. You are still welcome to post in the other sections even on the topics we post in that section.

No discrimination, no wall. Just you taking it out of context.

Would I be welcome to disturb a church service as an atheist even if they welcomed me into the church?

 

 

I'd settle for a forum where the blunt Mod/Op Sword of Damocles wasnt used to intimidate theists into acting like obsequious groveling mutes who only speak when spoken to and have to always act like they are living on borrowed time.

 

If "you and your mom"  want to have a private conversation that's fair enough. But that discussion is in a somewhat different category to one in which you say..."my mom = anyone who is an atheist" and ..."my private conversation = internet"

 

The church welcomes theists and atheists and the rules are applied to both equally.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13823
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Lion IRC wrote:Brian37

Lion IRC wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Lion IRC wrote:

What is "free" about a free thinkers forum which imposes ideological apartheid?

A Berlin Wall...?

Do you delete posts restrospectively if someone (like ubuntuanyone) de-de-converts?

I never understood "The Beekman", "Heretics Hall", etc.

 

 

 

Oh you mean the section where theists can't post?

If I say I want to talk to my mom alone, just because she lives in a retirement home with other people, am I discriminating against the other tenants in the building because we want to talk alone in her apartment?

Sometimes people want to talk alone without being disturbed. EVERYONE does that and that is not discrimination. Discrimination would be not allowing theists at the website at all.

When you go dine out are you allowed to cook the food yourself? If you go over to a friends house and they ask to talk to their wife in a separate room and ask you to wait in the living room, are they discriminating against you?

You are in this "house" and if I am not mistaken, you can still read those posts, so it is not like the site is hiding anything. You are still welcome to post in the other sections even on the topics we post in that section.

No discrimination, no wall. Just you taking it out of context.

Would I be welcome to disturb a church service as an atheist even if they welcomed me into the church?

 

 

I'd settle for a forum where the blunt Mod/Op Sword of Damocles wasnt used to intimidate theists into acting like obsequious groveling mutes who only speak when spoken to and have to always act like they are living on borrowed time.

 

If "you and your mom"  want to have a private conversation that's fair enough. But that discussion is in a somewhat different category to one in which you say..."my mom = anyone who is an atheist" and ..."my private conversation = internet"

 

The church welcomes theists and atheists and the rules are applied to both equally.

Stop your false persecution complex.

The rules are applied equally at a church? HA! So they'd hire an atheist preacher? Unitarian churchs have atheist pastors, sometimes, but I don't know of any other sect that allows open atheism in a church unless the majority is trying to convert them by preaching. I doubt most churches would allow an open debate in place of a service.

Here you are allowed to debate, just not preach. AND if you spent any time here you'd know we've had knock down drag out verbal battles where theist have fought back.

And out of all the atheist sites you've been to I have no doubt this is one of the most if not the most tolerant of dissent. And it has also banned atheists as well.

Next.

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5487
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Sapient, we already had this

Sapient, we already had this discussion. I used the Theism as a mental disorder as an example. I`m all for spreading knowledge and science, and I don`t think I`m seeing that here. I already stated where I saw it. For example the religion as a mind virus topic if you want a more recent example.

 

I feel the atheist movement is moving in the wrong direction with theories such as the `God virus`or that religion is the cause of X conflict. Worst of all, they seem hesitant in providing peer reviewed papers on the subject, which I was rightly hounded for when I was Christian. It`s sending the wrong message. Christian need empirical peer reviewed papers for their claims, but we don`t. Christians can`t rely on intuition or personal experience, but we can.

 

I was more often in arguemnts with wonderist and BobSpence about providing evidence, that they seemed short on.

 

 

 


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5487
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Another example would be the

Another example would be the accomadists vs confrontalitionislt topic before my time out.

 

The reason I said it was hypocritical is because confrontationalists think irrational beliefs should be confronted, and it sounds like you`re saying the accomodists shouldn`t confront you. i.e that you should only confront others, not the confrontationalists who feel that irrational beleifs should be confronted.

 

 

 

 

 


Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
Sage_Override's picture
Posts: 582
Joined: 2008-10-14
User is offlineOffline
You know, I've been a member

You know, I've been a member of the RRS since 2008.  A lot of shit went down that made me leave and it had a lot to do with some members and their views, their attitudes and their reception on what I had to say.  I disliked how this website was going, I got angry and I left.  Now that I'm back, I'm glad that I made the decision to return because things are starting to look up and big changes are afoot.  I will be a part of atheismunited and can't wait to see what unravels. 

 

For the record, I'm still not a big fan of Hamby as well as other members that don't really post here anymore, but that's in the past and that was a different time.  We learn, we grow and, more importantly, how to GROW UP.  Some more than others, I suppose.  I don't know a damn thing about you, Cpt_pineapple, other than that you seem to be the thorn in the side of RRS.  The only thing I can say to get you to understand why you're a social pariah around here is that you need to grow up; plain and simple.  You are on a website with a VAST ARRAY of differing opinions and the only thing you can do to protect yourself from being thrown against the wall is to be yourself, do not put up a false front, show a little respect to those that seem to know their fields of expertise, know when to just shut the fuck up and take your leave.  The less drama you cause around here, the more we can all move on, learn and proceed to get on with our plans to steamroll religion.  

"When the majority believes in what is false, the truth becomes a quest." - Me


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Lion IRC wrote:Sapient

Lion IRC wrote:

Sapient wrote:

 When did the ban start?

 

4 more points?

Its a 1 month ban/suspension. Thanks for helping me re-live a painful memory. Papercut now? Lemon juice?

I was asking because of how nice I must be for only using a 3 day timeout here.  Next time for Pineapple will be one month.

I didn't realize how touchy you were.  You dish it out real hard so I figured you could take it.  People make me relive the fact that I was assaulted (nearly killed) by a man I once helped make popular.  Folks remind me of it all the time.  So needless to say I know what that feels like, sorry if I did that to you.  

You come off real harsh, not sure if you realize that.

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Lion IRC
Theist
Lion IRC's picture
Posts: 158
Joined: 2011-03-16
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 Stop the persecution of ppl with persecution complexes

Brian37 wrote:

Stop your false persecution complex.

The only thing false is your claim that I feel persecuted. My "complex" is about people who falsely accuse me of feeling persecuted.

I am (hopefully) on the same side as you insofar as being a supporter of anyone who thinks atheists should come out of the closet and talk to theists.  I support that cause for a different reason than you but "The Beekman" is a closet!

 

Brian37 wrote:

The rules are applied equally at a church? HA! So they'd hire an atheist preacher? Unitarian churchs have atheist pastors...

WAIT! Stop right there! Atheists pretending to be Christians - especially clergy - is a deadly poisonous topic. I'm going to do you a favor and pretend you didnt mention it.

 

Brian37 wrote:

...I doubt most churches would allow an open debate in place of a service...

You have obviously never been to a church bible study or heard of Northern Ireland.

 

Brian37 wrote:

Here you are allowed to debate, just not preach.

Allowed to debate? I thought it was encouraged.

BTW, "preaching" is one of those nebulous terms which means different things to different ppl.

I've been warned about preaching many times but I always get out of jail because its not preaching if you are ANSWERING a question put to you by an atheist. Dont wanna be "preached" to? Simple. Dont ask..."why do you think that?" I very seldom initiate any Ops and I wouldnt have to defend my views about God if nobody ever challenged me to do so.

 

 

Brian37 wrote:

...AND if you spent any time here you'd know we've had knock down drag out verbal battles where theist have fought back....

I have spent a bit of time here.

 

 

Brian37 wrote:

...And out of all the atheist sites you've been to I have no doubt this is one of the most if not the most tolerant of dissent...

Thats a pretty big claim considering you dont know ALL the sites I know. (Unless youre psychic.) But I suppose a bit of generalisation about the unknown is fair enough every now and then. I mean who wants to be a logical fallacy nutzi 24/7...right? 

But I definitely applaud the sentiment about this place being "the most tolerant of dissent". I think a good motto is...treat others the way you would....err...well...you probably know what I mean. If you want to crash-test someone elses ideas, be ready and willing to let others defend them with equal tenacity and be prepared to have your own position contested as well.

Atheism is not automatically THE default true position. Atheology is open to critiques. You cant run to the ..."we're just harmless, neutral, non-stamp collectors" corner whenever it suits you. 

 

Brian37 wrote:

...And it has also banned atheists as well.

Next.

 

Banned atheists? Why?

Theist POES?

 


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:For

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

For example the religion as a mind virus topic if you want a more recent example.

If you don't bring it out of me you probably wouldn't hear me say anything like this for the next year.

 

Quote:
I feel the atheist movement is moving in the wrong direction with theories such as the `God virus`or that religion is the cause of X conflict.

Those aren't things you hear me saying, so stop taking it out on me.

 

Quote:
Worst of all, they seem hesitant in providing peer reviewed papers on the subject, which I was rightly hounded for when I was Christian. It`s sending the wrong message. Christian need empirical peer reviewed papers for their claims, but we don`t. Christians can`t rely on intuition or personal experience, but we can.

This is more strawman type stuff.  I don't think you realize that when atheists say "the god virus" they are saying it to get people thinking, to shake them into realizing this is an important issue to ponder.  That's all.  You are supposed to pick up on this stuff.  People aren't supposed to have to tell you.  It's like atheist head nodding. 

 

Quote:
I was more often in arguemnts with wonderist and BobSpence about providing evidence, that they seemed short on.

Want me to isolate the god virus in a vial after drawing the blood of a theist?  Honestly, sage is right... grow up.

 

And you don't even deny that god belief is like a virus.  You would just urge us to claim that being liberal is like a virus.  That argument isn't one most of us care to make here, so we don't.

 

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Another

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Another example would be the accomadists vs confrontalitionislt topic before my time out.

The reason I said it was hypocritical is because confrontationalists think irrational beliefs should be confronted, and it sounds like you`re saying the accomodists shouldn`t confront you. i.e that you should only confront others, not the confrontationalists who feel that irrational beleifs should be confronted. 

IT made no sense when you said it last time.  It makes less sense now.  You're grasping at straws to disagree.  

Let's clear this up though...

If an accomodationalist decides to confront me about confrontationalism then they become a hypocrite.

If a confrontationalist decides to confront an accomodationalist, this doesn't make them a hypocrite.

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5487
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:Cpt_pineapple

Sapient wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I feel the atheist movement is moving in the wrong direction with theories such as the `God virus`or that religion is the cause of X conflict.

Those aren't things you hear me saying, so stop taking it out on me.

So you disagree that the "God virus" theory or that religion causes X conflict[say in the middle east?]

 

Sapient wrote:

Quote:
Worst of all, they seem hesitant in providing peer reviewed papers on the subject, which I was rightly hounded for when I was Christian. It`s sending the wrong message. Christian need empirical peer reviewed papers for their claims, but we don`t. Christians can`t rely on intuition or personal experience, but we can.

This is more strawman type stuff.  I don't think you realize that when atheists say "the god virus" they are saying it to get people thinking, to shake them into realizing this is an important issue to ponder.  That's all.  You are supposed to pick up on this stuff.  People aren't supposed to have to tell you.  It's like atheist head nodding. 

 

 

Have you read the "God Virus" by Darrel Ray, or "The Religion Virus" by Craig James ? Those ideas are presented as scientific ideas to explain religion.

 

Sapient wrote:

 

Quote:
I was more often in arguemnts with wonderist and BobSpence about providing evidence, that they seemed short on.

Want me to isolate the god virus in a vial after drawing the blood of a theist?  Honestly, sage is right... grow up.

 

And you don't even deny that god belief is like a virus.  You would just urge us to claim that being liberal is like a virus.  That argument isn't one most of us care to make here, so we don't.

 

 

 

What I do is consistent application. If I can put religion in X category that it can be classified as a virus, then could I not put socialism, or anarchy in it too? Why not? Why do some ideas fit into it and others don't?

 

 

Sapient wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Another example would be the accomadists vs confrontalitionislt topic before my time out.

The reason I said it was hypocritical is because confrontationalists think irrational beliefs should be confronted, and it sounds like you`re saying the accomodists shouldn`t confront you. i.e that you should only confront others, not the confrontationalists who feel that irrational beleifs should be confronted. 

IT made no sense when you said it last time.  It makes less sense now.  You're grasping at straws to disagree.  

Let's clear this up though...

If an accomodationalist decides to confront me about confrontationalism then they become a hypocrite.

If a confrontationalist decides to confront an accomodationalist, this doesn't make them a hypocrite.

 

 

Because as a confrontaionalist, the idea is to confront people about irrational beliefs. Once people confront you, you're not suppose to just demand they accomodate you. That's sending the message that you confront people except for the confrontationalists. If you're a confrontationalist, you should be ready to be confronted.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
I don't want to talk about

I don't want to talk about any of that.  Do you understand that?

 

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
These aren't issues you hear

These aren't issues you hear me discussing right now.  I want to read discussions on this, I want to host discussions on this, but I am not getting involved.  The goals I currently have that you are disparaging, pessimistic, and outright damaging towards have nothing to do with Darrel Ray or theism being a mental disorder.  If you fail to understand this I'm just gonna remove you from the board.  You fail to accept what I tell you over and over.  You might have a mental disorder.

 

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Lion IRC
Theist
Lion IRC's picture
Posts: 158
Joined: 2011-03-16
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:Lion IRC

Sapient wrote:

Lion IRC wrote:

Sapient wrote:

 When did the ban start?

 

4 more points?

Its a 1 month ban/suspension. Thanks for helping me re-live a painful memory. Papercut now? Lemon juice?

I was asking because of how nice I must be for only using a 3 day timeout here.  Next time for Pineapple will be one month.

I didn't realize how touchy you were.  You dish it out real hard so I figured you could take it.  People make me relive the fact that I was assaulted (nearly killed) by a man I once helped make popular.  Folks remind me of it all the time.  So needless to say I know what that feels like, sorry if I did that to you.  

You come off real harsh, not sure if you realize that.

Food for thought for Pineapple. OK, now I see. 

A 3 day time out is a GREAT idea.

Much more reasonable than Strike One -a week, Strike Two - a month, Strike Three - 6 months.

 

I was actually kidding about the paper cut / lemon juice. (Forgot to add the LOL)

I have been visiting AvT discussion fora since 1996 and I understand that some places are not for the faint-hearted.

But I dont think of myself as harsh....just not as soft as the chew toy some people expect.

I am certainly not an anti-atheist and my attitude toward every human being atheist, agnostic or theist of any type is pretty orthodox as far as Christian doctrine goes. Love your enemy. Treat ppl the way you want to be treated.

 

Liberty, equality, fraternity.

Libery - soul/free will

Equality - man is not god over another man

Fraternity/Sorority - we all have the same Father. 

 

 

 


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5487
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
If you don`t want to get

If you don`t want to get involved in the topics, like whether religion does X, or if atheists eat more apples, fine.

 

 

I hope you realize, when I say `Atheist movement` or `RRS`, I don`t mean you personally. When I say `atheist movment does X` if you don`t do X fine, when I say `RRS`I mean the people on RRS.  The overwhelming majority of arguments I`ve had as of late were with either Wonderist, BobSpence, or RedneF.

 

If it makes you feel better, I`ll even stop using `RRS` and just say the atheist movement as to not portray it as an official stance of the RRS. I also don`t mean something as an official stance of the atheist movement, I mean I`ve seen it in the atheist movement.

 

If you`re shifting more to the hosting fine, I will confront the atheists and theists that do weigh in on the topics.

 

 

 

 

 


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5487
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
What forum is LionIRC

What forum is LionIRC talking about and what does it have to do with this?

 

 


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:If it

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

If it makes you feel better, I`ll even stop using `RRS` and just say the atheist movement as to not portray it as an official stance of the RRS. I also don`t mean something as an official stance of the atheist movement, I mean I`ve seen it in the atheist movement.

That would help.  Even more help would be if you made your arguments specific instead of vague.  Don't say atheist movement says X... say Darrel Ray says X.

 

Quote:
If you`re shifting more to the hosting fine, I will confront the atheists and theists that do weigh in on the topics.

My current project is about me giving back my area of expertise to all of atheism.  Internet marketing, Google power, web design, and  search engine results.  It's not just hosting, but I'm doing less arguing. 

 

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Lion IRC wrote:Brian37

Lion IRC wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Lion IRC wrote:

What is "free" about a free thinkers forum which imposes ideological apartheid?

A Berlin Wall...?

Do you delete posts restrospectively if someone (like ubuntuanyone) de-de-converts?

I never understood "The Beekman", "Heretics Hall", etc.

 

Oh you mean the section where theists can't post?

If I say I want to talk to my mom alone, just because she lives in a retirement home with other people, am I discriminating against the other tenants in the building because we want to talk alone in her apartment?

Sometimes people want to talk alone without being disturbed. EVERYONE does that and that is not discrimination. Discrimination would be not allowing theists at the website at all.

When you go dine out are you allowed to cook the food yourself? If you go over to a friends house and they ask to talk to their wife in a separate room and ask you to wait in the living room, are they discriminating against you?

You are in this "house" and if I am not mistaken, you can still read those posts, so it is not like the site is hiding anything. You are still welcome to post in the other sections even on the topics we post in that section.

No discrimination, no wall. Just you taking it out of context.

Would I be welcome to disturb a church service as an atheist even if they welcomed me into the church?

 

 

I'd settle for a forum where the blunt Mod/Op Sword of Damocles wasnt used to intimidate theists into acting like obsequious groveling mutes who only speak when spoken to and have to always act like they are living on borrowed time.

 

If "you and your mom"  want to have a private conversation that's fair enough. But that discussion is in a somewhat different category to one in which you say..."my mom = anyone who is an atheist" and ..."my private conversation = internet"

 

The church welcomes theists and atheists and the rules are applied to both equally.

Go look at the "It works for me" thread. There the theist is making himself an obvious troll to the point that some have begged for the mods to do something. He's perfectly safe.

Having a place to vent is not the same as "intimidating theists" - as I'm sure you're aware by how cowed and intimidated you are posting here. 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:What

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

What forum is LionIRC talking about and what does it have to do with this?

 

 

Freethinking Anonymous

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
 No JC, actually he's

 No JC, actually he's talking about how he was banned from another forum.  I think it was rationalskepticism.  I asked because I was starting to be able to see why he would be banned.  He's a naysayer, a negative, a pessimist, a devils advocate who seems to pick the most illogical positions to advocate for.

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: No JC,

Sapient wrote:

 No JC, actually he's talking about how he was banned from another forum.  I think it was rationalskepticism.  I asked because I was starting to be able to see why he would be banned.  He's a naysayer, a negative, a pessimist, a devils advocate who seems to pick the most illogical positions to advocate for.

 

He was also moaning about being unable to post in FA and the mods' nonexistent sword of Damocles'. I got my wires crossed.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
Posts: 2484
Joined: 2008-02-26
User is offlineOffline
Perhaps you Need an Introduction Thread

I'm not sure I know who you are after almost 4 years. Unlike many, most of my interaction with you has been positive or neutral.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Alright, I'm sorry I wasted your time pretending to be drunk. I just like to manipulate men, especially sexually ergo the themes of the topics. Yes I have a reputation as a stuck up prude, but even I need to let loose once in a while.

Didn't waste my time as I just laughed my ass off at the threads. I never really thought they were real.

This site is not Facebook or Twitter, you don't have to share personal info. So don't. I personally don't care if you are a prude, a stuck up bitch, a lesbian, bi-sexual, a whore, a drunk or a librarian.

You can be a postive force with your knowledge in science.

 

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I'm also sorry about my snarky little jabs at various users, including Sapient. A lot of times I just get frustrated and need to lash out and I guess I pick the closest target which would be you guys. A little bit of snark and sass is thrown in. Too much I know.

You need to learn how to pick your battles. There are some posts on RRS that irritate me. I think about them before I type. Not everything needs my comments. Like you, I have pet peeves, but I try to be careful about how I go about fighting my battles.

 

 

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I know I give off the impression that I want to tear down the atheist movement from inside out, but that's not the case, I want the atheist movement to flourish. But I want it to do so in the right way, not the wrong way. Hamby has been on my ass for a while about being the royal opposition of only voicing my concerns when I disagree. I'm slowly learning.

If that's what you want, try to do it in a positive way. Right way or wrong way is subjective. Right to you may be wrong to me. You need to do this in a positive way discussing why what you think would have better results.

That does not mean that everyone or even anyone may agree with you. Cars come in many colors because people perceive their likes and dislikes from their own perspectives.

 

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I remember when I first came to this site as a Christian and showing the aggression. I even remember the couple times I flipped out and outright told people to fuck off. I PMed Hamby about it, and realized that that wasn't really the best approach.

I recall you doing that as well. Did that work well? Probably not as you indicate.

 

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

So no, don't think this site hasn't had an effect on me. You guys are trying to get me more outspoken about religion and Hamby has been trying to turn me into a Liberal.

Obviously if you went from a believer to an atheist something had an effect on you.

Hamby is his own person, and so are you. You are a Canadian, a conservative in Canada is a Liberal in the US pretty much. Be your own person.

 

 

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Important note, I'm not apologizing, nor will I, for critisizing the RRS. I do think unapologetic confrontalism is a good tactic. I do think getting rid of religion is a realistic and good goal, but that doesn't give us free reign.

 

Personally I don't get what you criticize. The only thing I really see is the idea that religion is a virus or a disease. Some people may think that, not all of us who post at RRS.

RRS is not an individual but is made up of individuals.

The other thing is peer reviewed research. Not everything has that. Many posters assert a lot of things. That obviously does not make them true. Learn when to back off. Express your view and walk away if you need to.

Unapologetic confrontalism is not always a good tactic. It can go boom in your face. Sometimes being fair minded and willing to listen to others views is warranted, even when they are in the "land of fantasy". Clearly they have reasons for being there, find out WTF they are and discuss them. This does not mean that either you or they will change your views, but you are playing to an audience out there as well, keep that in mind.

Getting rid of religion would be a great goal, but it's been around since man 1st saw lightning and heard thunder and decided a god did it.

You and I am God as You were some of the first posters I encountered here years ago.  You were the 1st one to be snarky at Paisley. Granted you were a believer then.

In 2008 you had a guessing game if you were male or female, kind of an immature thing to do. But games are games.

OTOH, you do have a lot of knowledge in the science and physics area. Concentrate on your strengths and stop playing games.

I think you should do an introduction thread to indicate who Cpt Pineapple is today, as you clearly are not a drunk grad student in Canada. You are something else.

 

 

____________________________________________________________
"I guess it's time to ask if you live under high voltage power transmission lines which have been shown to cause stimulation of the fantasy centers of the brain due to electromagnetic waves?" - Me

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
 Great post PaulJohn. 

 Great post PaulJohn.  I hope to have a karma or upvote system at some point next year.

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
Posts: 2484
Joined: 2008-02-26
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: Great post

Sapient wrote:

 Great post PaulJohn.  I hope to have a karma or upvote system at some point next year.

 

 

Thanks Brian.

Sounds like a good idea.

____________________________________________________________
"I guess it's time to ask if you live under high voltage power transmission lines which have been shown to cause stimulation of the fantasy centers of the brain due to electromagnetic waves?" - Me

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10717
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
For posts, users, or both?

For posts, users, or both?

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7530
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
 Not sure yet.

 Not sure yet.

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10717
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
If you're going to do it for

If you're going to do it for users, I'd request the ability to change a vote. There have been times that I've radically changed my opinion on someone, and I'd dislike being unable to express that change.

But if that's not possible, or if it is problematic, I'll adopt a different strategy. Just a request.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Good idea

 

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

 

I think you should do an introduction thread to indicate who Cpt Pineapple is today, as you clearly are not a drunk grad student in Canada. You are something else.

 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


Lion IRC
Theist
Lion IRC's picture
Posts: 158
Joined: 2011-03-16
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: No JC,

Sapient wrote:

 No JC, actually he's talking about how he was banned from another forum.  I think it was rationalskepticism.  I asked because I was starting to be able to see why he would be banned.  He's a naysayer, a negative, a pessimist, a devils advocate who seems to pick the most illogical positions to advocate for.

 

 

How do you rebut the claim that you are a naysayer without saying..."no I am not?"

BTW. The word "advocate" means to speak FOR... in favor of...

Thats hardly naysaying or negative.

I prefer to think of a contest of ideas as being more about dialogue between two sides with an equal right to speak. Sorry if that sounds contrary to your enlightenment values.

My theistic dialectic is basically.... God yes ? or God no ?

I say God - YES!  Atheists say no.

...now you tell me who is the naysayer.

 

@pinapple.

Note that I was ASKED to comment about forum bans. Sorry to intrude on your private "atheists only" discussion.

 

 


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
My atheistic dialectic is basically

Lion IRC wrote:

 

My theistic dialectic is basically.... God yes ? or God no ?

I say God - YES!  Atheists say no.

...now you tell me who is the naysayer.

 

 

Testable explanations: Yes!

Christians say no.

 

You naysayer, you.

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


Lion IRC
Theist
Lion IRC's picture
Posts: 158
Joined: 2011-03-16
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:Lion

Atheistextremist wrote:

Lion IRC wrote:

 

My theistic dialectic is basically.... God yes ? or God no ?

I say God - YES!  Atheists say no.

...now you tell me who is the naysayer.

 

 

Testable explanations: Yes!

Christians say no.

... 

 

No they don......

WAIT!

How do I refute that without using the negative and getting a reputation as a naysayer?

...you got me.

 

 


Lion IRC
Theist
Lion IRC's picture
Posts: 158
Joined: 2011-03-16
User is offlineOffline
(No subject) On purpose


Watcher
atheist
Posts: 2326
Joined: 2007-07-10
User is offlineOffline
Sage_Override wrote:For the

Sage_Override wrote:

For the record, I'm still not a big fan of Hamby as well as other members that don't really post here anymore, but that's in the past and that was a different time. 

Well now I'm all curious and shit.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10717
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Sage_Override

Watcher wrote:

Sage_Override wrote:

For the record, I'm still not a big fan of Hamby as well as other members that don't really post here anymore, but that's in the past and that was a different time. 

Well now I'm all curious and shit.

Your curiosity piqued mine, so I dug. A brief look turned up run ins with Darth Josh, Kevin Brown, and DamnDirtyApe. With some of them being assholes without justification.

But then Kevin was born an asshole, so that's not a surprise.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Watcher
atheist
Posts: 2326
Joined: 2007-07-10
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:But then Kevin

Vastet wrote:

But then Kevin was born an asshole, so that's not a surprise.

*happy sigh*  Yes he was wasn't he.  I miss Kev.

Anybody know what he's doing these days?

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10717
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Far as I know he just hangs

Far as I know he just hangs his hat elsewhere like Hamby. Made an appearance to comment on Hitchen's death, but that's all he's done here in a year or more, to my knowledge.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.