Medical Marijuana Laws Reduce Traffic Deaths, Preliminary Research Suggests

Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10348
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Medical Marijuana Laws Reduce Traffic Deaths, Preliminary Research Suggests

ScienceDaily (Nov. 29, 2011)— A groundbreaking new study shows that laws legalizing medical marijuana have resulted in a nearly nine percent drop in traffic deaths and a five percent reduction in beer sales.
"Our research suggests that the legalization of medical marijuana reduces traffic fatalities through reducing alcohol consumption by young adults," said Daniel Rees, professor of economics at the University of Colorado Denver who co-authored the study with D. Mark Anderson, assistant professor of economics at Montana State University.

Article continues:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/11/111129123257.htm


Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
Sage_Override's picture
Posts: 582
Joined: 2008-10-14
User is offlineOffline
This is a relatively old

This is a relatively old subject on motor vehicle usage and marijuana.  The problem was that there were these PSAs bastardizing weed saying it slows motor functions, implying that it causes more fender-benders.  Regardless, due to your stress levels being much lower, your mind is opted to focus more, not worry about every little thing and, at least from my perspective, amplify your surroundings so that you're more aware of the sounds of places and people around you, the likelihood of you hitting anything is actually REDUCED rather than increased.  

 

Quote:
The economists analyzed traffic fatalities nationwide, including the 13 states that legalized medical marijuana between 1990 and 2009. In those states, they found evidence that alcohol consumption by 20- through 29-year-olds went down, resulting in fewer deaths on the road.

 

That's because when you're high, you want to eat, not get drunk.  There are, of course, people that do both, but I haven't drank in almost four months and I'm a pretty regular toker.  It's just silly to even bother with any form of booze when you have something that will make you leveled, not cause liver damage, fuck up your vision, slur your speech, make you violent and, theoretically, kill brain cells (the science is strong that booze temporarily disables brain cells, not kills them off).

 

Quote:
Opponents of medical marijuana believe that legalization leads to increased use of marijuana by minors.

 

Complete propaganda; most minors are more prone to drinking and smoking cigs because it's implanted into their brains that those are the safest things to indulge in and the socially accepted norm.  Overall, this is good news for people like me that strongly support the legalization of marijuana; maybe then I wouldn't have a need for my card along with thousands of others. 

"When the majority believes in what is false, the truth becomes a quest." - Me


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10348
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
I agree. *Lights pipe*

I agree. Smiling

*Lights pipe*

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
Posts: 1474
Joined: 2009-01-23
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I agree.

Vastet wrote:
I agree. Smiling *Lights pipe*

I disagree, although every youth in the world already smokes weed so I don't see where they expect the increase to come from. Literally don't no a single person who didfn't smoke weed at some point if they don't still smoke it.

 

That said I am against medical marijuana. What ever causes the positive effects extract that and give that to people. Smoking is such a retarded way to administer drugs to people. It comes with its own risks which are totally pointless.

 

Edit, I would hope that by doing this they could get rid of the side effect of people getting high from it. I don't know is the high where the benefit comes from? Not that there is anything wrong with people getting high if they want to, but I cannot very easily imagine people not wanting to get high.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10348
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
You can ignore the evidence

You can ignore the evidence all you like, but marijuana's been proven to have a major impact on the lives of people who have chronic conditions. There'd probably be a substitute for smoking it by now if not for people resisting the proof irrationally, and preventing studies from being done.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
Posts: 1474
Joined: 2009-01-23
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:You can ignore

Vastet wrote:
You can ignore the evidence all you like, but marijuana's been proven to have a major impact on the lives of people who have chronic conditions. There'd probably be a substitute for smoking it by now if not for people resisting the proof irrationally, and preventing studies from being done.

No where in this thread has anyone claimed there was no positive impact.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10348
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Granted, and I apologise for

Granted, and I apologise for insinuating otherwise. But you are still an example of one of those who are preventing further study just because you don't like it. The more it is used medicinally, the more information, and accurate information, is the result.
Also, clearly it is less dangerous than alcohol, and this study suggests that weed legalisation would result in fewer alcohol related deaths. So unless you'd be for banning alcohol, I don't see the logic in resisting legalisation of marijuana.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
Posts: 1474
Joined: 2009-01-23
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Granted, and I

Vastet wrote:
Granted, and I apologise for insinuating otherwise. But you are still an example of one of those who are preventing further study just because you don't like it. The more it is used medicinally, the more information, and accurate information, is the result. Also, clearly it is less dangerous than alcohol, and this study suggests that weed legalisation would result in fewer alcohol related deaths. So unless you'd be for banning alcohol, I don't see the logic in resisting legalisation of marijuana.

To be honest I don't drink so what do I care? Though if I am more honest I would be against banning alcohol. And I am not against legalizing weed, I am not for it either, I just don't care what you put in your body. Smoking however is not an appropriate form of administering a drug provided by medical professionals when there can be an alternative. All drugs have side effects so I can live with the getting high but If it can be gotten rid of while retaining the benefits observed I am for getting rid of the high. That is litrerally the end of my views on weed at the moment. I can understand why you might think I am against legalizing weed, I did not state that and I have said before I was against it, but right now I just don't care enough to be against it.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10348
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
You're a weed atheist! lol

You're a weed atheist! lol

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.