Thanks RRS, I'm back.

Adroit
atheist
Adroit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks RRS, I'm back.

Hello everyone!

Apparently googling "TEC" and "cult" gives a post I made on this website a few years ago.

I came across it the other day, and realized how glad I am that I lost my faith. This is a thank you to the RRS, and a re-introduction of myself.

Thank you Rational Response Squad.

In High School I was a conflicted, stressed, and confused person. Christianity was the center of my life, and I blindly followed it believing I would find answers, peace, and understanding.  I had no academic plans in my Junior year of High School, I wanted to become a priest. My entire wardrobe was christian t-shirts and religious necklaces.

Losing my faith wasn't simple, and there are many factors that caused it to happen. The most important factor was this website. I joined as a zealous Christian with my own crazy ideals and explanations for things. I wanted to win converts.

On this forum my ridiculous ideas were contradicted in a clean and easy to understand manner. Those ideas stuck with me as I matured, spent more time reading the bible, and talking on this forum. It was hard to admit to myself, but I began to have my doubts. It was an emotional and dramatic time, but eventually I admitted to myself that I didn't believe in God anymore. I told my family and friends, and I became alienated for it. I made friends from RRS and spent a lot of time talking on Skype to them, as well as posting on the forums. I was quickly accepted as an Atheist, which I quickly learned isn't some elitist clique, Atheists are simply not theist.

It was more emotional then I feel comfortable admitting, but why not. Thank you for listening to me from childish relationship issues, to what I wanted to do with my life. I was an empty character after losing my faith. I didn't have goals, or an idea where I was going with my life. I learned so much about myself through conversations that had nothing to do with God, and no religious influence.

I didn't contribute to the website before, I only benefited. This is my way of saying thanks, and introducing my new self. I think I'll stick around for awhile.

I am a Junior in College studying Software Engineering. I am thrilled by programming, and I can't wait to have my upcoming interviews for internships. I am a happy, confident, and calm person, who has been openly atheist for a few years. For once I feel my head is on straight.

Thanks again RRS, without you I might be a priest who just now began to doubt.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 Thanks for saying that.

Thanks for saying that.  I'm glad we could play such a big role.  Kudos to you for having the ability to break free.  Nice to see you back as well.  Big things are currently happening, stick around this time.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
welcome back 

welcome back

Skepticus
atheist
Skepticus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi. I also learned a lot

Hi. I also learned a lot here. I was an atheist when I joined the forum but guys like sapient, bobspence1, rednef, brian37 and others really helped me solidify what I know with their understandable reasoning.

luca
atheist
User is offlineOffline
latem cinatas ot netsil

It seems like it's a happy ending, Adroit. But probably searching a job is another beginning.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi, welcome back.

Hi, welcome back.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
I know this is exactly why

I know this is exactly why this website exists, at least an equally important part to it being a place for atheists to hang out. People often come here thinking they are trying to help us. Often they come, but leave, and the seed of doubt gets planted and they carry it away with them. The fact is that people here want to help people out of that feeling of needing a god. The fact is they don't and you are living proof that they don't.

This is proof to me that Brian is on the right track. I know that if it were not for others, even before joining any website, if someone hadn't asked hard questions of me, I may have very well wallowed in my past and never left my theism.

This website is a boon for atheists and a bane to superstition.

I can only speak for myself because I am merely a poster, but I think most here agree with what I said and from all of us, thank you for coming back and saying thanks. It is a boost to all of us who fight to free people from what you were once trapped in.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
FMStereo wrote:Hi. I also

FMStereo wrote:

Hi. I also learned a lot here. I was an atheist when I joined the forum but guys like sapient, bobspence1, rednef, brian37 and others really helped me solidify what I know with their understandable reasoning.

Me? Holy crap someone listened to me? No no no no, I am merely a toothless guy who lives in a trailer who tells really crappy cornball jokes. If anything I posts makes sense, it is quite by mistake. Don't ever listen to me. YOU HEAR ME! If I gave you instructions on how to make a PB and J you'd end up with squid.

Thats my silly way of saying "Awe shucks". (blushing)

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey, welcome back!I have to

Hey, welcome back!

I have to admit when I first connected to this thread, I recognised the avatar photo, then did a bit of a double-take when I noticed the 'atheist' tag.

This sort of outcome really keeps reassuring us that we are having some effect, to counter the number of both Theists and Atheists who insist we are wasting our time trying to 'de-convert' believers.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome back, and

Welcome back, and congratulations!

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Adroit
atheist
Adroit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for the responses, I

Thanks for the responses, I recognize a lot of names/pictures as well.

It's hard to see the results of websites such as these. Maybe the logical contradiction didn't cause me to lose my faith. When my faith was shaken up, that is when the conversations I had on this website really got to me.

I'm a little busy this week, but I plan on posting on the RRS again.

Edit: Just got a Engineering Internship offer today!

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Adroit wrote:I am a Junior

Adroit wrote:
I am a Junior in College studying Software Engineering.

Python or Perl?