Does this software allow you to block people's posts?

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Does this software allow you to block people's posts?

Can this be done on this forum?

I'm desperate to annihilate a certain RRS poster's rabid insanity from my world...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 It could be installed but

It could be installed but it's a drain on the server.  This reminds me though that I should start a thread asking people what features they want.  The way the site is set up, for each added capability we have the slower the site is going to move.  In most cases you wouldn't notice the difference, but if we have 100 unneeded modules things will really slow.

The site runs at a high capacity right now so luxury features like that are not currently on. 

At this point it would be abundantly more fun if you told us who it was and why.  Maybe more people feel the same way.  

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wouldn't have any clue

I wouldn't have any clue myself.(Cough cough) Rednef's beef is with me. I personally can't understand why he's let it fester so long considering how long he's been on the board.

I personally don't like that option. The way I look at it, if you don't like someone, don't respond to them. I don't see how it is someone else's fault if you make the choice to respond when no one is forcing you to.

This site already does have one on one and Kill Them with Kindness.

That epic thread was started by Caposkia nearly 5 years ago. We were blasting him then on the onset. And most theists who post already spend lots of time reading first before they test the waters. I find it absurd that one would go to an atheist site and expect their claims not to be knocked around.

Red simply does not like my word choice or my tactics.  If anything about him really does tick me off is when he falsely accuses me lumping in all believers as if I am a bigot, when all I have said repeatedly is that the core of god claims is the same, the claim that a brain with no brain exists. People are going to make these claims. People are entitled to make these claims. I have family members, co workers and friends who  make these claims. That does not mean the claim itself deserves to be blindly valued. It does not mean a claim should never be picked on or blasphemed.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37He singlehandedly

Brian37

He singlehandedly undermines the intelligent content contributed to this site, and completely undermines the RRS as it attempts to move forward in 'Positive Atheism'.

Being a positive voice against religious bullshit has become very valuable to me.

But so is my time.

I'll never forget my first experiences with him when I first joined the RRS.

I almost cancelled my account.

I didn't know anything about 'Atheist' forums before I joined the RRS. I joined here after I saw your's and Kelly's debate with Ray Ray.

After starting my first thead on here about how indoctrinating kids with Christianity should be considered child abuse, and setting off Brian37's insanity, I just about clicked 'Fuck This Place' to the RRS.

I don't want to be associated in any way with this imbecile.

I don't care if he's an atheist.

I don't care if he's on my team.

I don't care to be on any team that has him as a member.

Period.

Actually, Sapient. it's gotten even worse for my thoughts on this in the last few hours...

It's not enough that I can eliminate his posts from my view.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, and in this case, it's Brian37.

He's not only fucking incompetent, he's FUEL theists to prove that 'atheists' are lunatics and 'fools'.

You want to be alongside people like Sam Harris in Positive Atheism??

Would you bring along Brian37 or others like him to a public debate and let him speak as a rep for the RRS?????

If your answer is 'No', then I think you have some things to contemplate....

Do you want to attract more people like me, or like him?

I want to be on a 'winning team' for positive atheism.

I'm going to eliminate myself from being on the same team as him.

One way or the other.

If that means I go to another forum and spend my valuable time towards positive atheism, so be it.

When I get to this point, it's black and white for me, and that's where it's at for me.

With all due respect, I'd like to hear your honest thoughts of what your mission statement is, Sapient. moving forward from today.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: I wouldn't

Brian37 wrote:
I wouldn't have any clue myself.(Cough cough) Rednef's beef is with me. 

On top of everything else about you, you can add bold faced liar to your CV, you lying fucking POS.

You can read plain English.

I spelled it out for you.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Being a positive voice

Quote:
Being a positive voice against religious bullshit has become very valuable to me.

You used the word "bullshit", YOU MUST BE A BIGOT! You are just an atheist version of Fred Phelps because you used the word "bullshit".

Look, you simply need to accept that I don't like the long dance. You do. I have never demanded you don't take that long dance. I have merely said I don't like the dance myself.  You on the other hand get all pissy when I simply say "It takes two sets of DNA to manifest into a zygote" and "human flesh does not survive rigor mortis"

WHY do I go that route? Because the two most important stories to Christians are the birth and death. Destroy those myths and you leave them with a disembodied brain, which is problematic by itself. You dance on their turf and it is very easy for them and you to get stuck in the mud.

The point is both of us are needed. They need to see you take the time. But they also need to see me cut to the chase. It is a double team, not either/ or.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Brian37He

redneF wrote:

Brian37

He singlehandedly undermines the intelligent content contributed to this site, and completely undermines the RRS as it attempts to move forward in 'Positive Atheism'.

But so is my time.

I'll never forget my first experiences with him when I first joined the RRS.

I almost cancelled my account.

I didn't know anything about 'Atheist' forums before I joined the RRS. I joined here after I saw your's and Kelly's debate with Ray Ray.

After starting my first thead on here about how indoctrinating kids with Christianity should be considered child abuse, and setting off Brian37's insanity, I just about clicked 'Fuck This Place' to the RRS.

I don't want to be associated in any way with this imbecile.

I don't care if he's an atheist.

I don't care if he's on my team.

I don't care to be on any team that has him as a member.

Period.

Actually, Sapient. it's gotten even worse for my thoughts on this in the last few hours...

It's not enough that I can eliminate his posts from my view.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, and in this case, it's Brian37.

He's not only fucking incompetent, he's FUEL theists to prove that 'atheists' are lunatics and 'fools'.

You want to be alongside people like Sam Harris in Positive Atheism??

Would you bring along Brian37 or others like him to a public debate and let him speak as a rep for the RRS?????

If your answer is 'No', then I think you have some things to contemplate....

Do you want to attract more people like me, or like him?

I want to be on a 'winning team' for positive atheism.

I'm going to eliminate myself from being on the same team as him.

One way or the other.

If that means I go to another forum and spend my valuable time towards positive atheism, so be it.

When I get to this point, it's black and white for me, and that's where it's at for me.

With all due respect, I'd like to hear your honest thoughts of what your mission statement is, Sapient. moving forward from today.

Translation, "It's him or me"

I doubt very seriously this will work for you. I got really pissed at Jean Chavin and I am ashamed to admit I got to the point of demanding he be banned. But someone rightfully pointed out to  me that his posts were on record and could speak for themselves.

So if you truly believe that I am that bad, then let my posts speak for themselves. You do other atheists a disservice by suggesting that we all be clones of each other. Labels don't make the person, the person makes the person.

Part of Brian's tactic, FYI is to show that atheists are not bots of each other. So it would not be within his mission to keep people here that only talk like Dawkins or read Dr Sues.

And Christopher Hitchens has called the Christian God a Cosmic dictator, while in a debate with a Jewish scholar he considered a friend. So my blasphemy really isn't that far out.

You'd have a case if I said, "Lets outlaw religon". You'd have a case if I said "Lets kill all believers". I never have and never will. Simply saying invisible friends are absurd claims, does not make me a bigot or a bad guy.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: You used the

Brian37 wrote:
You used the word "bullshit", YOU MUST BE A BIGOT!

This is the level of intellectual debate I need to get as far away from being associated with as I can, Sapient.

Brian37 wrote:
The point is both of us are needed.

Your timing is perfect...

You are (of course) out of your mind.

That fact that you would even consider yourself useful, let alone 'needed' by any intelligent organization really speaks volumes on your cognitive abilities.

You'd be lucky to be considered simply dead weight, instead of the boat anchor around the neck you really are.

One thing is for absolute sure, I won't be on the same team as a moron like you, for much longer...

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Translation,

Brian37 wrote:
Translation, "It's him or me"

Yup.

It's that simple...

Brian37 wrote:
I doubt very seriously this will work for you.

It will.

I will put a muzzle on your insanity, one way or another...

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
I was hoping for a different

I was hoping for a different name.  

As for Brian37.  I met him on atheistnetwork.com about 12 years ago.  What always stuck out about him was his loyalty and to his pursuit of the truth.  I've always found him to want to pursue what is right.  He has also been extremely loyal to the people he allows in his life.   I've known him to change positions when proven wrong, but I've also known him to hold his positions very close to his heart.  He is a person full of heart and emotion, one of the kindest nicest men you'd ever have in your life if you accepted him in.  You'd have to be willing to put up with spelling errors and and a few odd posts.  His brand of humor is to make fun of himself.  He's full of life, kind to his even odder mother, and views the world through the very Evangelical community he lives in.

He would be on a list of 10 people that I would trust to keep a secret if I needed him to.  

Now... with that said you might ask yourself why then isn't he a moderator?  I view that role as a role that is more representative to the world of RRS.  This allows Brian37 to be himself and not have the added pressure of trying to formulate views that represent this site.  He represents himself, and that is what all of us should do.   I think we should argue that we only represent ourselves.  I know people look at me as representing others, but I seek to only represent myself and I make it a point to say so.  

I wish I could be more help here.  Brian is an incredibly loyal and kind person with a big heart... if he's got flaws they are being emotional and spelling errors.  But we all have flaws.

Take a look at Matt Shizzle posts if you want to see someone who made us look bad.  

Hopefully getting it off your chest helped.  We can leave the post up.  If anyone has anything to say here, feel free to weigh in.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Brian37 wrote:

redneF wrote:

Brian37 wrote:
You used the word "bullshit", YOU MUST BE A BIGOT!

This is the level of intellectual debate I need to get as far away from being associated with as I can, Sapient.

Brian37 wrote:
The point is both of us are needed.

Your timing is perfect...

You are (of course) out of your mind.

That fact that you would even consider yourself useful, let alone 'needed' by any intelligent organization really speaks volumes on your cognitive abilities.

You'd be lucky to be considered simply dead weight, instead of the boat anchor around the neck you really are.

One thing is for absolute sure, I won't be on the same team as a moron like you, for much longer...

Sorry to disappoint you. Unlike you, I do not see myself as important like you think you are. I meant "we are both needed" it as a metaphor  for diversity in tactic. I am only one person, and if I never post here again, life will go on. But you however seem to think you are Thor's gift to atheists. But if you never post here again, the same thing will happen, the earth will continue to rotate around the sun.

You want to live in a utopia where life is never messy and people never get angry or use cuss words. I would say if any attitude is useless, that is. Believers sell utopias, I don't think you need to be selling one yourself, which you childishly cannot see that is what you are doing.

I'm not drawing lines in the sand, you are.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 Can we turn this more

Can we turn this more constructive from here...

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: I was hoping

Sapient wrote:
I was hoping for a different name. 

It's too bad about the reality of the situation. But for me it's a serious one about how I invest my time and effort.

Sapient wrote:

As for Brian37.  I met him on atheistnetwork.com about 12 years ago.  What always stuck out about him was his loyalty and to his pursuit of the truth.  I've always found him to want to pursue what is right.  He has also been extremely loyal to the people he allows in his life.   I've known him to change positions when proven wrong, but I've also known him to hold his positions very close to his heart.  He is a person full of heart and emotion, one of the kindest nicest men you'd ever have in your life if you accepted him in.  You'd have to be willing to put up with spelling errors and and a few odd posts.  His brand of humor is to make fun of himself.  He's full of life, kind to his even odder mother, and views the world through the very Evangelical community he lives in.

He would be on a list of 10 people that I would trust to keep a secret if I needed him to.  

Now... with that said you might ask yourself why then isn't he a moderator?  I view that role as a role that is more representative to the world of RRS.  This allows Brian37 to be himself and not have the added pressure of trying to formulate views that represent this site.  He represents himself, and that is what all of us should do.   I think we should argue that we only represent ourselves.  I know people look at me as representing others, but I seek to only represent myself and I make it a point to say so.  

I wish I could be more help here.  Brian is an incredibly loyal and kind person with a big heart... if he's got flaws they are being emotional and spelling errors.  But we all have flaws.

Take a look at Matt Shizzle posts if you want to see someone who made us look bad.  

None of that is going to change anything, for me.

Sapient wrote:
Hopefully getting it off your chest helped. 

I'm not simply blowing off steam, if that's what you were wondering.

I'm signing off for the night, I hope to hear about your mission statement moving forward, Sapient.

That would be of help to me...

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: Can we turn

Sapient wrote:
Can we turn this more constructive from here...

Ask yourself when things became 'not' constructive in this thread...

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:One thing is

redneF wrote:

Maybe you would prefer to become a blogger at the new Atheism United site?

If I understand you, you're saying I must ban Brian37 or risk losing you.  I can't do that, if you put yourself in my shoes you would see why.  It's not rational of me to remove a well intentioned man who has been extremely loyal and has served as a support system for several of the people who make this site function.  He is a personal friend, we see through differences in any argument because of that.  10 years ago he drove up and stayed at my house for a weekend.  He is negatively impacted by religious intrusion in his life, he likes speaking out about it.  If I remove him, what kind of message does that send?

Oh and... I don't want to lose you! 

I was hoping you'd say Captain Pineapple.  I'm disgusted with her.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not sure about how others feel

but I think it would a shame if this goes to its stated conclusion. I read posts from both you guys and variously enjoy and agree with many points you make. You have different styles and are different people but you're not so diametrically opposed. 

Doesn't seem right to me demanding Brian go when you can just ignore his posts if you don't like them, Red. I can't imagine any atheist forum will be just as you want it unless you start your own. I've spent time on some others and they're far less inclusive. 

It would go against the nature of this forum for Sapient to ban B37 because he annoys you. And yeah, I agree with Sapient that B37 is an obviously and inherently decent human being, magical super brains and all. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is a forum, anyone is

This is a forum, anyone is free to join. Brian is not breaking any rules that I am aware of. As such your only options are ignore him, deal with your issues or leave. There are always going to be people who annoy you no matter where you go, not matter the forum. If you cannot handle that maybe you should avoid the internet in future.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I dislike drama. I like

I dislike drama.

I like both you guys for different reasons. And I don't feel it's my place to make suggestions to either of you.

I will miss you Red, should you decide it's in your best interest to leave. I understand where you're coming from. Do what's best for you.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I dislike

Vastet wrote:
I dislike drama. I like both you guys for different reasons. And I don't feel it's my place to make suggestions to either of you. I will miss you Red, should you decide it's in your best interest to leave. I understand where you're coming from. Do what's best for you.

Ditto. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
 You can block people's

You can block people's posts with javascript. It's client side.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm still waiting for

I'm still waiting for someone to create a program where you can actually delete the offending person (  ie, = )      ...and possibly even tie the function into the "delete" key itself.  Sweet !

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't want to admit I was

I don't want to admit I was relieved to see it wasn't =me=, but, wow.  Drama much?

Alright, you want an opinion from outside the World of Atheism?

If you want to put a positive spin on Atheism, you can't do it by bashing the f*ck out of people who believe in god and/or gods.  About the best you're going to get is judging people based on their =actions=.  Trying to construct a Secular Humanist framework that can be put forward as the RRS "Mission Statement" or whatever would make a bigger impression on people than who comes up with the snappiest reason that religion is stupid.

Don't tell people they are wasting their free time on their favorite imaginary friends.  I waste a lot of my free time watching Mythbusters and the Hitler Channel.  How I waste my free time is my business.  You waste your time your way, I'll waste mine my way.

In the words of King David -- "Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it."

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Vastet

Beyond Saving wrote:

Vastet wrote:
I dislike drama. I like both you guys for different reasons. And I don't feel it's my place to make suggestions to either of you. I will miss you Red, should you decide it's in your best interest to leave. I understand where you're coming from. Do what's best for you.

Ditto. 

Ditto ditto.

ZOMG.  That's =two= things Vastet and I have agreed on.  The Messiah will be here =next week= and I don't have a thing to wear!

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
ask and thou shalt receive

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

I'm still waiting for someone to create a program where you can actually delete the offending person (  ie, = )      ...and possibly even tie the function into the "delete" key itself.  Sweet !

A little more complicated than pushing the delete key, but not much.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

A little more complicated than pushing the delete key, but not much.

I'd like to state, for the record, that you can't hug people with nuclear arms.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I'd like to state for the

I'd like to state for the record that the missile being fired is an AGM114 Hellfire which is an anti-armor munition, not a tactical nuke.  If and when that designation changes I will gladly acknowledge.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote: I'd

FurryCatHerder wrote:

"You can't hug people with nuclear arms." ?    Of course not.    There are a multitude of things that you can't do with nuclear arms.   Seriously, what the hell do you think they were created for ?  

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I dislike

Vastet wrote:

I'll second that.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
When did the shit hit the

When did the shit hit the fan between these two?

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

"You can't hug people with nuclear arms." ?    Of course not.    There are a multitude of things that you can't do with nuclear arms.   Seriously, what the hell do you think they were created for ?  

I'm a firm believer in Peace Through Superior Firepower.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:When did the

Ktulu wrote:

You really need to keep up more.  Between my ( non ) constructive dialog with Furry, redneF's totally going ape shit with Brian37, and Cpt_pineapple being temporarily banned for allegedly being deceptive and possibly being a double agent you've really missed a lot.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:Ktulu

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Ktulu wrote:

You really need to keep up more.  Between my ( non ) constructive dialog with Furry, redneF's totally going ape shit with Brian37, and Cpt_pineapple being temporarily banned for allegedly being deceptive and possibly being a double agent you've really missed a lot.

You neglected to include the love-in between Vastet and I in which I've predicted that the Messiah is coming NEXT WEEK.

No one ever reports on the good things that happen in the world.  It's very sad.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:You

FurryCatHerder wrote:

You neglected to include the love-in between Vastet and I...

Yes, the peace and calm, but knowing you as I do I suspect it's similar to the peace one experiences when standing in the eye of a hurricane.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

You neglected to include the love-in between Vastet and I...

Yes, the peace and calm, but knowing you as I do I suspect it's similar to the peace one experiences when standing in the eye of a hurricane.

Why do you have such a hard time accepting what I write at face value?  You f*ck with me, I f*ck with you back.  How =you= get treated is 100% under your control.  If you take an olive branch, you keep getting olive branches.  Come after me with a baseball bat, and I promise, I =will= get a bigger stick.  I'm remarkably dull, boring and predictable that way.

I'm not a Christian.  I don't believe in "Turn the other cheek."  You proved, yet again, in the "50 Shekel Challenge" thread that you have a very hard time respecting boundaries and letting go of an attack once you've gotten started.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Furry, we are all adults

Furry, we are all adults here. No one here wants a real literal war. But when you look at our species history you can see abundant evidence where belief in bad claims has held back progress and even caused death. Any kind of superstition has the potential to harm people.

We are all aware here that humans will always have irrational beliefs. Which is why it is important to question those claims. When humans start getting into demanding taboos, that's when we go down the road to fascism. The ability to question, ridicule and even blaspheme is critical to keeping any form of fascism at bay.

There IS a huge difference between a person, and the claims the person makes. One can like a person but not like everything they say. You have to learn to separate the claim from the person. ON ANY ISSUE, not just god claims.

Olive branches are not given through demands of submission or via taboos. Olive branches are given with consent and the understanding that the human condition is something we all have in common.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
redNef,talk about the Pot

redNef,

talk about the Pot calling the Kettle Black....

I have refrained from pointing out frequent misunderstandings you have displayed many times on aspects of science, including Quantum Theory, because I understand your background is more into the applied aspects than the theoretical. Brian is not displaying ignorance of QM with the "disembodied brain" stuff. It doesn't involve QM.  And I personally have also hammered the absurdity of imagining an intelligence not based on some form of matter. It has been speculated that complex structures such as brains could pop into existence spontaneously, with non-zero, although incredible small, probability. NOTE, the brain is still a physical object, if and when it appears, unlike 'God'. And I personally find that speculation, known as "Boltzmann Brains", ridiculous in many ways.

You have called bullshit on Theists at least as much as Brian, and in arguably at least as rhetorically an over-the-top way, if not more so.

Brian has his personal 'quirks', we all do to some degree.

But dammit, you have pushed the limits more than he has, especially when you started on this forum.

Please, relax a bit.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I'll go one further and

I'll go one further and claim that on occasion, everyone of us has made complete asses of ourselves regarding some issue or other.  We all have our justifications, backgrounds and biases.  I personally don't like the whole "I'm smarter" attitude that some posters portray.  The more I look, the more I see that intelligence is just a subjective quality we attribute relative to the amount of time, effort and focus someone has dedicated.  You may claim that you posses more information then someone, but the variation between individuals in actual ability to attain and consider information is so minor as to be non existent.  Intelligence is nothing but focus towards one topic or other. 

Most "genius" ideas have come from asking questions about relatively simple concepts, and then having the focus to carry through with what the answers may be.  The whole grading of IQ is a joke in most cases.  

To claim that someone's worth is relative to their intelligence (whatever you may mean by that) speaks volumes about the person making the claim.  

This is just a pet peeve of mine /rant.  As for the issue at hand, Vaset has already said everything that had to be said.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

luca
atheist
User is offlineOffline
jk jk

This is a period full of friction, isn't it? I just hope noone here gets carried by emotions. Are really things irremediable?

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
to paraphrase peter

to paraphrase peter clemenza, "these things have to happen every 5 or 10 years.  gets rid of all the bad blood."

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence wrote:Please,

BobSpence wrote:

Please, relax a bit.

+1

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder

FurryCatHerder wrote:

BobSpence wrote:

Please, relax a bit.

+1

Furry, you know you are onto something when you have a troll badge as a Jew on an atheist site. If you can be relaxed about that, I really don't get what the problem was.

I hold no ill will towards Red. I simply think he might not simply want to chalk this up to a personality conflict.

But I think you've got the right attitude here. Bob is the good cop and I am the bad cop, and you are in the interview room. Strictly from a debate perspective, he's the cop saying "I don't know how much longer I can hold my partner off" And I am the bad cop "Let me at em!"

Bob and I speak on a daily basis. He has been my best friend through all sorts of shit. He especially got me through my mom's stays at the hospital when I was really depressed. He got me through the death of my cat and my mom's dog. And he cares enough to call me every day almost. So we are a package deal, only in the sense that we are friends. Not in his mod hat role. If he ever needed to step back or bitch slap me from a reff's perspective, he would.

Now that this love fest is out of the way, which form of torture would you like, brass knuckles, sodium pententethol(sp) ? I've run out of BBQ kittens though.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I think I would use

I think I would use greasemonkey to block someone's posts, unless you have Opera or Google Chrome. I'm pretty sure they have native support for running scripts. 

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 Good, now that rednef can

Good, now that rednef can block posts like that, I expect him back.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Yeah, that's what I would

Yeah, that's what I would do. I tested it. 

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 Link him Gauche, make it

Link him Gauche, make it easy on em.  

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
He should probably pay me

He should probably pay me but I'll write this off as a good deed.

https://rapidshare.com/files/3279647770/001.user.js "> https://rapidshare.com/files/3279647770/001.user.js

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:Why do

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Why do you have such a hard time accepting what I write at face value?

Actually I do accept what you write at face value.  That's why I despise you. If you don't know what I'm talking about then go back and revisit the  "50 Shekel Challenge" and reread post #43. 

FurryCatHerder wrote:
  You f*ck with me, I f*ck with you back.  How =you= get treated is 100% under your control.  If you take an olive branch, you keep getting olive branches.  Come after me with a baseball bat, and I promise, I =will= get a bigger stick.

Your threats are becoming more and more of a joke to me. Perhaps you should find another gimmick.

FurryCatHerder wrote:
  I'm remarkably dull, boring and predictable that way

You're becoming quite predictable.

FurryCatherder wrote:
I'm not a Christian.

A distinction that I find meaningless.

FurryCatHerder wrote:
I don't believe in "Turn the other cheek."

I am Furry, hear me roar...

FurryCatHerder wrote:
You proved, yet again, in the "50 Shekel Challenge" thread that you have a very hard time respecting boundaries and letting go of an attack once you've gotten started.

You proved in the "50 Shekel Challenge" that:

1.)   you are hopelessly incapable of maintaining a consistent moral perspective

2.)   you make only a pretense of truly possessing human empathy.

3.)   admitting error, in even the smallest degree, is beyond your grasp

4.)   you  are incapable of distinguishing an attack from an "attack"

5.)    you show fear by continually spewing scary threats.

and on and on and on.  You really are a messed up person inside your head  ....the difference between us is that I can admit to my defects while you cannot.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Why do you have such a hard time accepting what I write at face value?

Actually I do accept what you write at face value.  That's why I despise you. If you don't know what I'm talking about then go back and revisit the  "50 Shekel Challenge" and reread post #43.

Believe it or not, when something gets as heated as what's gone on between us, I =do= go back and re-read the exchange.

Now, you might have a hard time comprehending what I write -- I've found that I tend to "fill in the blanks" on a lot of what I write, because my brain is just wired that way.  But I'm going to explain things more clearly and hopefully you grasp them better.

You made a number of comments many days ago which I took as particularly threatening.  You might not realize that your statements are extremely threatening, but a lot of people who have a hard time with "If you treat me nice, I'll treat you nice.  If you treat me poorly, I'll treat you poorly" don't realize that they can be perceived as a major threat.

I'd like you to take a look around and see how I'm getting along with everyone =but= you.  That should be a clue as to which one of us is in the right, and which one of us is in the wrong.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Furry, you

Brian37 wrote:

Furry, you know you are onto something when you have a troll badge as a Jew on an atheist site. If you can be relaxed about that, I really don't get what the problem was.

I hold no ill will towards Red. I simply think he might not simply want to chalk this up to a personality conflict.

But I think you've got the right attitude here. Bob is the good cop and I am the bad cop, and you are in the interview room. Strictly from a debate perspective, he's the cop saying "I don't know how much longer I can hold my partner off" And I am the bad cop "Let me at em!"

Bob and I speak on a daily basis. He has been my best friend through all sorts of shit. He especially got me through my mom's stays at the hospital when I was really depressed. He got me through the death of my cat and my mom's dog. And he cares enough to call me every day almost. So we are a package deal, only in the sense that we are friends. Not in his mod hat role. If he ever needed to step back or bitch slap me from a reff's perspective, he would.

Now that this love fest is out of the way, which form of torture would you like, brass knuckles, sodium pententethol(sp) ? I've run out of BBQ kittens though.

You're another one of the people here that I like.  You, Bob Spence, Atheistextremist and I forget, are people who seem to be the more intelligent of the bunch.  If I thought redneF was beyond redemption, or whatever, I would take your side in the squabble, but redneF seems like a decent sort of guy, now that he and I have gotten past whatever we needed to get passed.

My only comment is that honey works better than vinegar and "vinegar" seems to be one of the more common condiments here at times.

As for the troll badge, Sapient said he was going to remove it, so maybe some day he'll get around to doing so.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:Believe

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Believe it or not, when something gets as heated as what's gone on between us, I =do= go back and re-read the exchange.

There has been no heat coming from me of late.  I choose to challenge your hypocrisy , no inflammatory rhetoric is required.

FurryCatHerder wrote:
You made a number of comments many days ago which I took as particularly threatening.

Then please retrieve the quotes so I may consider the matter.

FurryCatHerder wrote:
You might not realize that your statements are extremely threatening, but a lot of people who have a hard time with "If you treat me nice, I'll treat you nice.  If you treat me poorly, I'll treat you poorly" don't realize that they can be perceived as a major threat.

Didn't you just threaten me using those very words ?  Are you daft ?

FurryCatHerder wrote:
I'd like you to take a look around and see how I'm getting along with everyone =but= you.

Did you earn that"Troll" badge based upon how well you are "getting along with everyone" ?   Surely you aren't blind to that overwhelming irony ?

[edit; troll badge withdrawn, I will observe and note whether your future behaviour  differs in any way from your past behaviour.]

FurryCatHerder wrote:
That should be a clue as to which one of us is in the right, and which one of us is in the wrong.

Being "wrong" isn't quite the tragedy for me that it is for you but thank you for kindly confirming my observation that you are obsessed with the need to always be "right."  You truly are becoming so predictable.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:As for

FurryCatHerder wrote:

As for the troll badge, Sapient said he was going to remove it, so maybe some day he'll get around to doing so.

I remembered when I saw Brian37's comment earlier.