Got done with Penn's book "God No", Some objections.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13623
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Got done with Penn's book "God No", Some objections.

Minus his libertarian bull, I do think he has some attitudes right. I agree that most humans are decent people. He most certainly, after admitting going to a gay bath house back in the 80s could hardly be called judgmental.

Now without getting too distracted. Someone's sexuality is not the issue. Gay or straight, the more sex you have and the more partners you have, the more risk you take. BUT, that is not the issue of this thread. Just an example of how Penn, at least on some issues, is a good example of being open minded and non judgmental.

HOWEVER, one issue in his book smacks of blind loyalty, something we as atheists constantly and rightfully accuse theists of. In one of his later chapters he shows admiration to loyalty. He gives an example that if he knew his kid had committed a violent crime or would commit a violent crime, he would remain loyal and not turn them in.

HOW fucking selfish. It is understandable to love your kid no matter what they do, that IS PART of our elvolution. But when that protection comes at the harm of outsiders, that is where I draw the line. I would not do that. If I had a kid and they said "I am going to murder this person, or I am going to blow this up", I would turn them in. If I found out that they robbed and murdered someone for their wallet, I would still love them, but just like I would not want someone robbing me, just because it is my child would not make me or my child above the law.

So while Penn gets some things right in his book, this is a WTF for me. How in the hell can he rightfully condemn the blind loyalty of faith? How can he say in his book "Love all people, but hate all faith", while at the same have the same theistic attitude towards his family that he rightfully accuses theists of?

Loyalty should never be blind, not even with family. Everything in reality is situational and conditional and should never be treated as black and white. Loyalty is not good or evil by itself, but blind loyalty is always evil.

Beyond, I know that if you have read his book, with all his libertarian bologna you probably got the pages stuck together. Yea, I just thought I'd poke the hornet's nest. HE HE HE HE HE HE. You love me, you know it.

But in all seriousness to all and Beyond as well, Happy Thanksgiving. Rooting for Detroit and hoping beyond hope that Dallas loses. I am still pissed about last week and the Skins choking on the OT field goal like a porn star choking on the cock of John Holmes. WHY ME!

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10634
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
It'd depend on the

It'd depend on the circumstances for me. And, I suspect, for Penn as well.
But really, everyone's entitled to their own ethics. I don't always agree with other people's ethics, but it's nice to know that not everyone has the same ethics. Makes showing absolute morality to be a crock that much easier.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
Posts: 1253
Joined: 2007-06-02
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:It'd depend on

Vastet wrote:
It'd depend on the circumstances for me. And, I suspect, for Penn as well. But really, everyone's entitled to their own ethics. I don't always agree with other people's ethics, but it's nice to know that not everyone has the same ethics. Makes showing absolute morality to be a crock that much easier.

Would you be okay with Penn concealing the perpetrator of a crime that you were the victim of?  No justice for you?

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10634
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
It'd depend on the

It'd depend on the circumstances. Probably not, but then I can't expect someone I don't know or trust to defend me over a friend or family member. I know that there are people who'd try to hide or even help commit even the most horrid crimes of a loved one. I also know there are people who'd call the police on a loved one for even the most minor infraction.
I weigh things out for every unique situation before making a choice as to what I think the ethical choice would be.
But I can't hold others to my standards. I can only hold myself to them, and have a backup system for dealing with conflict resolution based upon what I believe the consequences should be if I feel sufficiently violated to take action.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
Posts: 1253
Joined: 2007-06-02
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:It'd depend on

Vastet wrote:
It'd depend on the circumstances. Probably not, but then I can't expect someone I don't know or trust to defend me over a friend or family member. I know that there are people who'd try to hide or even help commit even the most horrid crimes of a loved one. I also know there are people who'd call the police on a loved one for even the most minor infraction. I weigh things out for every unique situation before making a choice as to what I think the ethical choice would be. But I can't hold others to my standards. I can only hold myself to them, and have a backup system for dealing with conflict resolution based upon what I believe the consequences should be if I feel sufficiently violated to take action.

So, situational ethics.

There's a crime, you're the victim, how do you feel about being the victim of a crime where the person who committed the crime is preventing them from being brought to justice?  That was my question.

I could agree that for a true victimless crime, protecting someone from prosecution ((provided there was a "You got very lucky -- next time you might not be so lucky" message) might be a "better" choice.  My ethics include "No harm, no foul."  But in this hypothetical instance, you're the victim and the person who committed the crime against you is being shielded from prosecution by someone else.

This isn't a hypothetical situation in many areas -- the residents so despise the police that they tolerate drug dealing (which is a completely different subject), violence, property crimes, etc. and won't report criminals, even though they are the victims of crime.  Then they complain about the =effects= of rampant crime.

I used to do volunteer work in an area that was so crime ridden that if I was going alone, I'd bring a 9mm semi auto pistol with me.  I'd have preferred the people who lived there actually called the police to report crimes, but if someone was going to try and turn me into a victim, I was more than willing to turn them into a dead person.  That's the extreme end-result of protecting criminals from prosecution -- people like me carrying guns and shooting people.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3641
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:I used

FurryCatHerder wrote:

I used to do volunteer work in an area that was so crime ridden that if I was going alone, I'd bring a 9mm semi auto pistol with me.  I'd have preferred the people who lived there actually called the police to report crimes, but if someone was going to try and turn me into a victim, I was more than willing to turn them into a dead person.  That's the extreme end-result of protecting criminals from prosecution -- people like me carrying guns and shooting people.

 

                                         

                    Ah !  finally something we can agree upon.  I've had my CHL since 2003.   Don't care for 9mm, I prefer my hand held phallic symbol in .45 caliber

 

                                                                          (   Based upon your comments I have no doubt that you possess killer instinct   )

I'm a right wing atheist because I enjoy being hated by everyone.

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." Mark Twain.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10634
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Quote:There's a crime,

Quote:
There's a crime, you're the victim, how do you feel about being the victim of a crime where the person who committed the crime is preventing them from being brought to justice?  That was my question.

The feelings I'd have would generally be an undefined "amount" of: anger, fear, hurt, rebellion, and acceptance. The concentration of each emotion would be situational. Some crimes I view as unacceptable, and rebellion would be a primary emotion (I get a gun and handle both the criminal and the defender myself).
Other crimes I view as minor enough that the consequences of action outweigh the consequences of inaction, so acceptance becomes a primary emotion (I walk away and attempt to distance myself from reoccurance).

In both cases the other emotions would exist in varying amounts.

I personally don't agree with Penn's views. I also believe that even Penn didn't think it through. If Penn's son tortured and killed Teller on a whim, for example, I doubt he'd be as protective as he suggests.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3641
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
              

                                                                                              

 

 

                                                                                                                      The ultimate deterrent effect !

I'm a right wing atheist because I enjoy being hated by everyone.

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." Mark Twain.


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4512
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
 Haven't read the book yet

 Haven't read the book yet but it is sitting on my shelf, probably get to it this winter. As to whether or not I would turn in a really good friend would depend on the specific situation. Was the victim a complete random innocent? Are they likely to murder again? If the victim was someone they were involved in an altercation with that went too far and they were unlikely to kill again I would probably protect them. If they have gone nuts and are randomly killing people for kicks and giggles, I would probably turn them in and do what I could to get them mental help. My bias would lean towards doing what I believe is best for my friend as I care much more for my friends than society at large.  

I just usually go with my own taste. If I like something, and it happens to be against the law, well, then I might have a problem.- Hunter S. Thompson


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13623
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

 Haven't read the book yet but it is sitting on my shelf, probably get to it this winter. As to whether or not I would turn in a really good friend would depend on the specific situation. Was the victim a complete random innocent? Are they likely to murder again? If the victim was someone they were involved in an altercation with that went too far and they were unlikely to kill again I would probably protect them. If they have gone nuts and are randomly killing people for kicks and giggles, I would probably turn them in and do what I could to get them mental help. My bias would lean towards doing what I believe is best for my friend as I care much more for my friends than society at large.  

Well, you'd masturbate when he talks about the government and the economy. But I still like him, and despite what you might think, I do like you, other than when we fight over economics. Thats the only time I want to bitch slap you.

It is a great book otherwise. I really recommend it. He has a story about a Jew de converting. I won't spoil it, but it is a great story.

His new show "Big fat lie" or something like that, pisses me off, because I can never spot the lie. It is a "Mythbusters" motif. But I like it because it teaches people to be skeptical. And he always does some illusion at the end of the show which is fun.

Now if we are done with this love fest, you do realize I will have to kill you now that we have kissed. EWE EWE EWE! I kissed a libertarian!

And he writes in laymen, he doesn't use 50 dollar words like Hitchens.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
Posts: 868
Joined: 2008-02-06
User is offlineOffline
After my wife, Penn Jillette

After my wife, Penn Jillette might be my favorite person on the planet... Certainly there are some things I disagree with him....but having said that, I wasn't wild about this book... at least from an Atheist perspective... the stories were fun, but frankly, I was expecting better arguments from a guy who has some of the best counterpoint chops in the business....


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Yay Black Friday confessions (ugh)

Brian37 wrote:

Minus his libertarian bull, I do think he has some attitudes right. I agree that most humans are decent people. He most certainly, after admitting going to a gay bath house back in the 80s could hardly be called judgmental.

Now without getting too distracted. Someone's sexuality is not the issue. Gay or straight, the more sex you have and the more partners you have, the more risk you take. BUT, that is not the issue of this thread. Just an example of how Penn, at least on some issues, is a good example of being open minded and non judgmental.

HOWEVER, one issue in his book smacks of blind loyalty, something we as atheists constantly and rightfully accuse theists of. In one of his later chapters he shows admiration to loyalty. He gives an example that if he knew his kid had committed a violent crime or would commit a violent crime, he would remain loyal and not turn them in.

HOW fucking selfish. It is understandable to love your kid no matter what they do, that IS PART of our elvolution. But when that protection comes at the harm of outsiders, that is where I draw the line. I would not do that. If I had a kid and they said "I am going to murder this person, or I am going to blow this up", I would turn them in. If I found out that they robbed and murdered someone for their wallet, I would still love them, but just like I would not want someone robbing me, just because it is my child would not make me or my child above the law.

So while Penn gets some things right in his book, this is a WTF for me. How in the hell can he rightfully condemn the blind loyalty of faith? How can he say in his book "Love all people, but hate all faith", while at the same have the same theistic attitude towards his family that he rightfully accuses theists of?

Loyalty should never be blind, not even with family. Everything in reality is situational and conditional and should never be treated as black and white. Loyalty is not good or evil by itself, but blind loyalty is always evil.

Beyond, I know that if you have read his book, with all his libertarian bologna you probably got the pages stuck together. Yea, I just thought I'd poke the hornet's nest. HE HE HE HE HE HE. You love me, you know it.

But in all seriousness to all and Beyond as well, Happy Thanksgiving. Rooting for Detroit and hoping beyond hope that Dallas loses. I am still pissed about last week and the Skins choking on the OT field goal like a porn star choking on the cock of John Holmes. WHY ME!

[judgmental]Content of Penn's character: so far, so good. Content of Penn's behavior in books and tv: fucking chilly.

Is he right about any of this? Is he simply going for goal #1? I'd have to examine his fictious works first before I separate fact from fiction. Then I read what his critics say about him. Then I read what friends, fans, and former colleagues say about him. 

Problematic, you say? People "can't be examined objectively"? Not quite. A narcissist, for example, will refuse every objective question of character about themselves or friends and family, and will either lash out or run away from it with 'top gear in order'. What am I left with when I or someone else asks the right questions, is (perhaps) a picture of their character that comes with greater clarity than can either be found in textbooks or tv series.

His book and points of view?

Quote:
HOWEVER, one issue in his book smacks of blind loyalty, something we as atheists constantly and rightfully accuse theists of. In one of his later chapters he shows admiration to loyalty. He gives an example that if he knew his kid had committed a violent crime or would commit a violent crime, he would remain loyal and not turn them in.

"Son... I am disappoint"

"Did you at least destroy evidence of the deed in question? YOU DID, HUH?! Oooooohhhhhhh sssshhhhhiiiitttt! *gasp* Now I can't fucking help you. Now... I have chest pains. *feels ribcage* You know good and well what the fuck that means."

(completely hypothetical and my own words)

Boys will be boys. Misplaced loyalty... is misplaced loyalty. "Cold and calculating" will be cold, and it will be calculated. Meticulously. That's how I tick when I feel threatened. Not just threatened with simple death or imprisonment or even being threatened into persona non grata status (which I hate), but something that I believe should only be pried "from my cold dead hands" or (sometimes) willinglt; ideas. Natural and evolutionary? Well... it's what works. So yeah. I can follow the idea of misplaced harm and loyalty that comes at a heavy pricetag. I can avoid it easily, too.

Meaning of course, 'following in Father's footsteps without having the first damned clue'. It will hurt, that's for sure. A great and famous dad? It will hurt even more to carry home the bad news.

How would I react to such a situation? I can't comment on being a dad, obviously, but I can comment on being a son; look for the quickest way out, accept it with open arms and full-blown catharsis. Back off from the situation at hand, relax... and use a coping mechanism. Which one? I have no idea. Too many to count. Wake up feeling like hammered shit the next day. I won't explain that last step, simply because if you don't understand it now, you simply won't ever fully comprehend it.

This is what I would do, however.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Kapkao
atheistSuperfanBronze Member
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

                                                                                              

 

 

                                                                                                                      The ultimate deterrent effect !

Now I get free rights on lightening up! Thanks, PDW.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13623
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:After my

Rich Woods wrote:

After my wife, Penn Jillette might be my favorite person on the planet... Certainly there are some things I disagree with him....but having said that, I wasn't wild about this book... at least from an Atheist perspective... the stories were fun, but frankly, I was expecting better arguments from a guy who has some of the best counterpoint chops in the business....

Yea, but I doubt you can get Penn to do to you what your wife does, so I think you do have your priorities in order. I don't think it would sound good if you said "After Penn, my wife might be my favorite person on the planet". That would be a long stint on the couch or a date in court.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13623
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Consider this Rich, one

Consider this Rich, one thing I think Penn does that other atheists don't do is reach a wider audience. Penn is the guy you'd like to hang out with. Hitchens and Dawkins, as far as their writing style, write more to the academics. Penn is simply reaching out to the laymen. I love Hitchens, but the only book I could get through was "God is Not Great". I also have his Jefferson book and "Hitch 22" AND the problem I had with those books is that it was out of my demographic.

Hitchens and Dawkins sell to scientists and skeptics, especially highly educated people, including the apologists who want to know their tactics.Penn uses common language, not to be perfect with his arguments, but to open the door to a wider range of people.

I don't think atheists while valuing science and education need to make everything we sell so high pitched that it is like a dog whistle. Most concepts can be conveyed simply and that simplicity gets people in the door.

If I go to work and use the word Ottoman, most of them would look at me like a deer in the headlights. But if I simply say "stool" they get it.

Penn's book is good because it appeals to people whom otherwise wouldn't give atheists attention.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
Sage_Override's picture
Posts: 582
Joined: 2008-10-14
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Consider this Rich,

Quote:
Consider this Rich, one thing I think Penn does that other atheists don't do is reach a wider audience. Penn is the guy you'd like to hang out with. Hitchens and Dawkins, as far as their writing style, write more to the academics. Penn is simply reaching out to the laymen. I love Hitchens, but the only book I could get through was "God is Not Great". I also have his Jefferson book and "Hitch 22" AND the problem I had with those books is that it was out of my demographic.

 

I feel you on this; Penn is the type that would yap your ear off about why God is the biggest farce in history through funny stories, comparisons and personal anecdotes while, at the same time, putting a dollar in the g-string of a stripper and getting huge knockers rubbed in his face.  Actually, I'd be interested in chilling with Teller; now THAT little guy has got to be interesting to be around off camera and stage.  Hitchens, before the cancer, may have been exciting off the debate circuit; fucker smokes like a chimney and drinks like a depressed artist so, he might be fun.  I need to get around to reading "God Is Not Great."  Would you recommend it?

 

 

"When the majority believes in what is false, the truth becomes a quest." - Me


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13623
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Sage_Override

Sage_Override wrote:

Quote:
Consider this Rich, one thing I think Penn does that other atheists don't do is reach a wider audience. Penn is the guy you'd like to hang out with. Hitchens and Dawkins, as far as their writing style, write more to the academics. Penn is simply reaching out to the laymen. I love Hitchens, but the only book I could get through was "God is Not Great". I also have his Jefferson book and "Hitch 22" AND the problem I had with those books is that it was out of my demographic.

 

I feel you on this; Penn is the type that would yap your ear off about why God is the biggest farce in history through funny stories, comparisons and personal anecdotes while, at the same time, putting a dollar in the g-string of a stripper and getting huge knockers rubbed in his face.  Actually, I'd be interested in chilling with Teller; now THAT little guy has got to be interesting to be around off camera and stage.  Hitchens, before the cancer, may have been exciting off the debate circuit; fucker smokes like a chimney and drinks like a depressed artist so, he might be fun.  I need to get around to reading "God Is Not Great."  Would you recommend it?

 

 

If you call yourself an atheist and you have not read that book, we will take away your "Barbecued Kitten of The Month" Club Card. It's good, slightly wordy, but not as wordy or name dropping as the other books by him. Yes, I highly recommend it,

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
Sage_Override's picture
Posts: 582
Joined: 2008-10-14
User is offlineOffline
Quote:If you call yourself

Quote:
If you call yourself an atheist and you have not read that book, we will take away your "Barbecued Kitten of The Month" Club Card. It's good, slightly wordy, but not as wordy or name dropping as the other books by him. Yes, I highly recommend it,

 

Kitten, eh?  Couldn't be tasty chicken?  Perhaps pork?  Ze kittens are innocent!!!

"When the majority believes in what is false, the truth becomes a quest." - Me


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13623
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Sage_Override wrote:Quote:If

Sage_Override wrote:

Quote:
If you call yourself an atheist and you have not read that book, we will take away your "Barbecued Kitten of The Month" Club Card. It's good, slightly wordy, but not as wordy or name dropping as the other books by him. Yes, I highly recommend it,

 

Kitten, eh?  Couldn't be tasty chicken?  Perhaps pork?  Ze kittens are innocent!!!

You are not a real atheist unless you have barbecued a kitten.(Note to gullible readers who might read this, go look up sarcasm in the dictionary)

Most people get my humor, but sometimes I feel the need to spell it out for them.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
Posts: 1253
Joined: 2007-06-02
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Sage_Override

Brian37 wrote:

Sage_Override wrote:

Quote:
If you call yourself an atheist and you have not read that book, we will take away your "Barbecued Kitten of The Month" Club Card. It's good, slightly wordy, but not as wordy or name dropping as the other books by him. Yes, I highly recommend it,

Kitten, eh?  Couldn't be tasty chicken?  Perhaps pork?  Ze kittens are innocent!!!

You are not a real atheist unless you have barbecued a kitten.(Note to gullible readers who might read this, go look up sarcasm in the dictionary)

Most people get my humor, but sometimes I feel the need to spell it out for them.

Noooo!  No joking about teh kitties!

Barbequing a dog would be okay.  Not kosher, so no thanks, but please -- teh kitties are innocent!!!

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."


Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
Sage_Override's picture
Posts: 582
Joined: 2008-10-14
User is offlineOffline
Quote:You are not a real

Quote:

You are not a real atheist unless you have barbecued a kitten.(Note to gullible readers who might read this, go look up sarcasm in the dictionary)

Most people get my humor, but sometimes I feel the need to spell it out for them.

 

Considered toking?  You seem like one high-strung guy.

"When the majority believes in what is false, the truth becomes a quest." - Me


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13623
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Sage_Override

Sage_Override wrote:

Quote:

You are not a real atheist unless you have barbecued a kitten.(Note to gullible readers who might read this, go look up sarcasm in the dictionary)

Most people get my humor, but sometimes I feel the need to spell it out for them.

 

Considered toking?  You seem like one high-strung guy.

Hell no, first off, pot is illegal, not that it should be illegal. I. I am goofy enough just with cigs, beer and cornball humor. I actually stopped for reasons other than not wanting to get arrested. I did pot a few times as a teen and once in college. But every single time I felt when I was coming down I was going to have a heart attack, that and it really didn't do for me what others said it did for them. It only made me sleepy and hungry. Plus the fear of getting busted made me stop too.

But as far as being "high strung", I suspect that you are a recent joiner here. If you spend time around me, like Bob Spence does on Skpe almost every day, you'd see that I really am just a silly blowhard and willing to laugh at myself too.

This venue in the form of this sit is my oasis in a see of theism. It is where I can feel free to say what I honestly think and say what others say to themselves outside the net.

What you call "high strung" I call passionate. I am, because I used to believe and I know how much it held me back. I also am passionate because we DO live in a world where believers hold positions of power and have access to weapons. I am passionate because I do not want religious claims to dumb down science classes because of some false sense of "equality" which is not the point of a science class.

But, I am not "high strung" in some " I want kill all believers". Not even in the slightest. My mom is Catholic, my co-workers whom I love believe in some degree or another, I don't want to rape or pillage or barbecue kittens. But the core claim of the idea of ANY brain with no material, DOES drive me nuts. It made sense when humans didn't know what a brain did or what a neuron was. But now that science demonstrates what we can and do know, it, to me, is time for us to move forward and give up on bad claims.

Our species is better off knowing the sun is not a god. Our species is better off knowing the earth rotates around the sun. Our species is better off when people don't use religion to treat women as property. Our species is better off because someone in the past said "I want to figure out how this works, regardless of what that holy person(insert religion here) says."

Susan B Anthony, if I am correct once said "Well behaved women seldom make history". She said that at a time when most of the society used religion to keep women in the role of baby factories and at best, support rolls, not equal partners.

It may come across to you that I am "cracking skulls" AND YES I am, but CONTEXT matters. In a literal sense no, I do not literally want to crack someone's skull. But in the context of "Wake up!, do understand what it is you are claiming? Here are my objections to that claim". In that sense I am fearless. But in the context of wanting to physically fight people or outlaw certain beliefs, no.

I love my mom, I love my co-workers and I would have to live on an island and never leave it if I wanted never to talk to believers or hated them that much. It is because I care that the only home I live on is being divided and fought over over these ancient myths, even today, that I challenge them. I don't think I need to apologize to people like Bill O'Rielly who said "Tide goes in, tide goes out, you cant explain that" When idiots like that know damned well we do and no better than to sell such stupid tripe.

The bottom line is that there are 7 billion people, our species has no choice but to "get along" if we expect to survive. But that should not involve demands of blind loyalty or submission to the taboos others try to set up. But if I have to describe myself, and if you don't believe me, you can ask Bob, I am probably the silliest most cornball bad joke, laugh at myself, person he knows.

If I am "high strung" about anything in reality, my mom's health problems(just normal old people stuff, jnothing deadly, just chronic) keeps me on edge sometimes I don't want to lose her. And other than that my favorite NFL team sucks huge donkey balls. If you really want to hear me scream, ask Bob what my ranting is like after they lose.

This for me is just debate and a place to vent and be myself. If it helps others get out of theism, great. If it helps others feel comfortable calling themselves atheists or being an open atheist, great. But no, I am not high strung. No one has to worry about me going on a killing spree or becoming a fascist dictator. The worst you have to worry about me is cussing and bad corny stupid jokes. I think the 19 hijackers, Timothy McVeigh and abortion clinic bombers are "high strung".

 

Long response to a short post, but considering other recent posts here, and this post, I feel you need some background on me to put me in context. I'm fine really.............(runs to get hockey mask and meat clever)(Note to self: Did I think this, or type it?)

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Sage_Override
atheistBlogger
Sage_Override's picture
Posts: 582
Joined: 2008-10-14
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Hell no, first off,

Quote:

Hell no, first off, pot is illegal, not that it should be illegal. I. I am goofy enough just with cigs, beer and cornball humor. I actually stopped for reasons other than not wanting to get arrested. I did pot a few times as a teen and once in college. But every single time I felt when I was coming down I was going to have a heart attack, that and it really didn't do for me what others said it did for them. It only made me sleepy and hungry. Plus the fear of getting busted made me stop too.

But as far as being "high strung", I suspect that you are a recent joiner here. If you spend time around me, like Bob Spence does on Skpe almost every day, you'd see that I really am just a silly blowhard and willing to laugh at myself too.

This venue in the form of this sit is my oasis in a see of theism. It is where I can feel free to say what I honestly think and say what others say to themselves outside the net.

What you call "high strung" I call passionate. I am, because I used to believe and I know how much it held me back. I also am passionate because we DO live in a world where believers hold positions of power and have access to weapons. I am passionate because I do not want religious claims to dumb down science classes because of some false sense of "equality" which is not the point of a science class.

But, I am not "high strung" in some " I want kill all believers". Not even in the slightest. My mom is Catholic, my co-workers whom I love believe in some degree or another, I don't want to rape or pillage or barbecue kittens. But the core claim of the idea of ANY brain with no material, DOES drive me nuts. It made sense when humans didn't know what a brain did or what a neuron was. But now that science demonstrates what we can and do know, it, to me, is time for us to move forward and give up on bad claims.

Our species is better off knowing the sun is not a god. Our species is better off knowing the earth rotates around the sun. Our species is better off when people don't use religion to treat women as property. Our species is better off because someone in the past said "I want to figure out how this works, regardless of what that holy person(insert religion here) says."

Susan B Anthony, if I am correct once said "Well behaved women seldom make history". She said that at a time when most of the society used religion to keep women in the role of baby factories and at best, support rolls, not equal partners.

It may come across to you that I am "cracking skulls" AND YES I am, but CONTEXT matters. In a literal sense no, I do not literally want to crack someone's skull. But in the context of "Wake up!, do understand what it is you are claiming? Here are my objections to that claim". In that sense I am fearless. But in the context of wanting to physically fight people or outlaw certain beliefs, no.

I love my mom, I love my co-workers and I would have to live on an island and never leave it if I wanted never to talk to believers or hated them that much. It is because I care that the only home I live on is being divided and fought over over these ancient myths, even today, that I challenge them. I don't think I need to apologize to people like Bill O'Rielly who said "Tide goes in, tide goes out, you cant explain that" When idiots like that know damned well we do and no better than to sell such stupid tripe.

The bottom line is that there are 7 billion people, our species has no choice but to "get along" if we expect to survive. But that should not involve demands of blind loyalty or submission to the taboos others try to set up. But if I have to describe myself, and if you don't believe me, you can ask Bob, I am probably the silliest most cornball bad joke, laugh at myself, person he knows.

If I am "high strung" about anything in reality, my mom's health problems(just normal old people stuff, jnothing deadly, just chronic) keeps me on edge sometimes I don't want to lose her. And other than that my favorite NFL team sucks huge donkey balls. If you really want to hear me scream, ask Bob what my ranting is like after they lose.

This for me is just debate and a place to vent and be myself. If it helps others get out of theism, great. If it helps others feel comfortable calling themselves atheists or being an open atheist, great. But no, I am not high strung. No one has to worry about me going on a killing spree or becoming a fascist dictator. The worst you have to worry about me is cussing and bad corny stupid jokes. I think the 19 hijackers, Timothy McVeigh and abortion clinic bombers are "high strung".

 

Long response to a short post, but considering other recent posts here, and this post, I feel you need some background on me to put me in context. I'm fine really.............(runs to get hockey mask and meat clever)(Note to self: Did I think this, or type it?)

 

It's kind of funny that you assume I'm a recent joiner since you were one of the people that responded to my post on returning here.  I made my remark to you being a tad "wound up" in a half-serious way since you tend to get a little carried away in your thoughts, not in a bad way, but I just noticed that.  Reminds me of myself since I do that, too, but I'm really trying to work on that.  Trust me, I understand where you're coming from.  More power to you if you feel so strongly because more people should, but, for the record, at no point did I, or do I, think you'll go postal anytime soon.

 

Oh, weed is fantastic, you should give it another shot and you did, indeed, type all that.   

 

"When the majority believes in what is false, the truth becomes a quest." - Me


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10634
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
FurryCatHerder wrote:Brian37

FurryCatHerder wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Sage_Override wrote:

Quote:
If you call yourself an atheist and you have not read that book, we will take away your "Barbecued Kitten of The Month" Club Card. It's good, slightly wordy, but not as wordy or name dropping as the other books by him. Yes, I highly recommend it,

Kitten, eh?  Couldn't be tasty chicken?  Perhaps pork?  Ze kittens are innocent!!!

You are not a real atheist unless you have barbecued a kitten.(Note to gullible readers who might read this, go look up sarcasm in the dictionary)

Most people get my humor, but sometimes I feel the need to spell it out for them.

Noooo!  No joking about teh kitties!

Barbequing a dog would be okay.  Not kosher, so no thanks, but please -- teh kitties are innocent!!!

3 times now, in a row no less.

I'd even eat the dog. Evil

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13623
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Sage_Override

Sage_Override wrote:

Quote:

Hell no, first off, pot is illegal, not that it should be illegal. I. I am goofy enough just with cigs, beer and cornball humor. I actually stopped for reasons other than not wanting to get arrested. I did pot a few times as a teen and once in college. But every single time I felt when I was coming down I was going to have a heart attack, that and it really didn't do for me what others said it did for them. It only made me sleepy and hungry. Plus the fear of getting busted made me stop too.

But as far as being "high strung", I suspect that you are a recent joiner here. If you spend time around me, like Bob Spence does on Skpe almost every day, you'd see that I really am just a silly blowhard and willing to laugh at myself too.

This venue in the form of this sit is my oasis in a see of theism. It is where I can feel free to say what I honestly think and say what others say to themselves outside the net.

What you call "high strung" I call passionate. I am, because I used to believe and I know how much it held me back. I also am passionate because we DO live in a world where believers hold positions of power and have access to weapons. I am passionate because I do not want religious claims to dumb down science classes because of some false sense of "equality" which is not the point of a science class.

But, I am not "high strung" in some " I want kill all believers". Not even in the slightest. My mom is Catholic, my co-workers whom I love believe in some degree or another, I don't want to rape or pillage or barbecue kittens. But the core claim of the idea of ANY brain with no material, DOES drive me nuts. It made sense when humans didn't know what a brain did or what a neuron was. But now that science demonstrates what we can and do know, it, to me, is time for us to move forward and give up on bad claims.

Our species is better off knowing the sun is not a god. Our species is better off knowing the earth rotates around the sun. Our species is better off when people don't use religion to treat women as property. Our species is better off because someone in the past said "I want to figure out how this works, regardless of what that holy person(insert religion here) says."

Susan B Anthony, if I am correct once said "Well behaved women seldom make history". She said that at a time when most of the society used religion to keep women in the role of baby factories and at best, support rolls, not equal partners.

It may come across to you that I am "cracking skulls" AND YES I am, but CONTEXT matters. In a literal sense no, I do not literally want to crack someone's skull. But in the context of "Wake up!, do understand what it is you are claiming? Here are my objections to that claim". In that sense I am fearless. But in the context of wanting to physically fight people or outlaw certain beliefs, no.

I love my mom, I love my co-workers and I would have to live on an island and never leave it if I wanted never to talk to believers or hated them that much. It is because I care that the only home I live on is being divided and fought over over these ancient myths, even today, that I challenge them. I don't think I need to apologize to people like Bill O'Rielly who said "Tide goes in, tide goes out, you cant explain that" When idiots like that know damned well we do and no better than to sell such stupid tripe.

The bottom line is that there are 7 billion people, our species has no choice but to "get along" if we expect to survive. But that should not involve demands of blind loyalty or submission to the taboos others try to set up. But if I have to describe myself, and if you don't believe me, you can ask Bob, I am probably the silliest most cornball bad joke, laugh at myself, person he knows.

If I am "high strung" about anything in reality, my mom's health problems(just normal old people stuff, jnothing deadly, just chronic) keeps me on edge sometimes I don't want to lose her. And other than that my favorite NFL team sucks huge donkey balls. If you really want to hear me scream, ask Bob what my ranting is like after they lose.

This for me is just debate and a place to vent and be myself. If it helps others get out of theism, great. If it helps others feel comfortable calling themselves atheists or being an open atheist, great. But no, I am not high strung. No one has to worry about me going on a killing spree or becoming a fascist dictator. The worst you have to worry about me is cussing and bad corny stupid jokes. I think the 19 hijackers, Timothy McVeigh and abortion clinic bombers are "high strung".

 

Long response to a short post, but considering other recent posts here, and this post, I feel you need some background on me to put me in context. I'm fine really.............(runs to get hockey mask and meat clever)(Note to self: Did I think this, or type it?)

 

It's kind of funny that you assume I'm a recent joiner since you were one of the people that responded to my post on returning here.  I made my remark to you being a tad "wound up" in a half-serious way since you tend to get a little carried away in your thoughts, not in a bad way, but I just noticed that.  Reminds me of myself since I do that, too, but I'm really trying to work on that.  Trust me, I understand where you're coming from.  More power to you if you feel so strongly because more people should, but, for the record, at no point did I, or do I, think you'll go postal anytime soon.

 

Oh, weed is fantastic, you should give it another shot and you did, indeed, type all that.   

 

It is impossible to keep track of every person who posts here. This is a big site. I am bad with names and faces. Unless I talk to you every day or read your posts every day, I might not remember you. I am the same way with people face to face. If you used a different name the first time, that too could be why I don't remember.

DAMN IT! How the fuck am I going to be a good atheist if no one thinks I am going to go postal? SHIT I CANT get this right. I will go off the deep end if someone criticizes my barbecue kittens. (Note to self: Did I think this, or type it)

WAS IT OVER WHEN THE GERMANS BOMBED PEARL HARBOR, HELL NO, AND IT AINT OVER NOW!(um, movie reference for the youngens who might not know, showing my age too)

No no no no pot, not my thing. Like I said, fine for others, not me. I am goofy enough without it. Plus it never really did anything for me other than make me paranoid of having a heart attack. Everyone has different bodies that react different ways to different things.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13623
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:FurryCatHerder

Vastet wrote:
FurryCatHerder wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Sage_Override wrote:

Quote:
If you call yourself an atheist and you have not read that book, we will take away your "Barbecued Kitten of The Month" Club Card. It's good, slightly wordy, but not as wordy or name dropping as the other books by him. Yes, I highly recommend it,

Kitten, eh?  Couldn't be tasty chicken?  Perhaps pork?  Ze kittens are innocent!!!

You are not a real atheist unless you have barbecued a kitten.(Note to gullible readers who might read this, go look up sarcasm in the dictionary)

Most people get my humor, but sometimes I feel the need to spell it out for them.

Noooo!  No joking about teh kitties!

Barbequing a dog would be okay.  Not kosher, so no thanks, but please -- teh kitties are innocent!!!

3 times now, in a row no less. I'd even eat the dog. Evil

Traitor. You didn't read the atheist handbook, or you are thumbing your nose at it. It specifically says in Chapter 876, subsection 5 paragraph 2 "Atheists cannot call themselves atheists unless they eat kittens. Dogs cannot substitute for kittens or be eaten in conjunction with kittens"

I am going to have you brought up on charges for failure to uphold the moral ethical code of atheists. Thus your rape and pillage rights will be taken away until such time as you have been rehabilitated. GOT THAT MR!

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10634
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Meh. Never used 'em

Meh. Never used 'em anyway.

Btw, I started a movement and am gathering disciples. We will bbq and eat dogs every wednesday, as commanded by the great panda.

(Anyone who doesn't get it wasn't here a year or two ago, and/or didn't see the conversation between myself and the heretic Hiswillniss, who I banished for his blasphemy)

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13623
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Meh. Never used

Vastet wrote:
Meh. Never used 'em anyway. Btw, I started a movement and am gathering disciples. We will bbq and eat dogs every wednesday, as commanded by the great panda. (Anyone who doesn't get it wasn't here a year or two ago, and/or didn't see the conversation between myself and the heretic Hiswillniss, who I banished for his blasphemy)

You immoral jack potato! The great panda is a false idol. You know damned fucking well that only "true" atheists eat kittens. And what the fuck is with the panda? PANDA? I could almost understand worshiping Angelina Joli, but a panda isn't even a human, so how the fuck could it tell you to eat dogs?

You disgust me. I am never talking to you again. Until this entire running joke gets tired, and even then I reserve the right(disclaimer mice print, loophole).

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10634
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
The panda is. Why is

The panda is. Why is irrelevant. The kittens must be saved, as they are the image of the holy son.

Evil beaver worshippers....

It was beavers, right? Shit I have to search for this thread now...

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10634
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Damn! It was a moose. Oh

Damn! It was a moose. Oh well.

Remarkable how easy that was to find...

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/17351

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
Posts: 1253
Joined: 2007-06-02
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Damn! It was a

Vastet wrote:
Damn! It was a moose. Oh well. Remarkable how easy that was to find... http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/17351

Verily, the antlers of the Great Moose are like the Wings of an Angel.

AND TEH KITTIES ARE STILL INNOCENT!

After my =3rd= Siamese died from Feline Leukemia I stopped owning cats.  Now I just feed strays.  Which is sad.  Because I love teh kitties and I needs one.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."