Wanna New Career?

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wanna New Career?

This is for all those who want to complain that they can't find a way to make a great honest living.

It's just not true.

You haven't really looked, and the only thing preventing you, is you.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/blogs/insight/200-000-miner-toys-190708736.html

"MANDURAH, Australia — One of the fastest-growing costs in the global mining industry are workers like James Dinnison: the 25-year-old high-school dropout from Western Australia makes $200,000 a year running drills in underground mines to extract gold and other minerals.

The heavily tattooed Mr. Dinnison, who started in the mines seven years ago earning $100,000, owns a sky-blue 2009 Chevy Ute, which cost $55,000 before a $16,000 engine enhancement, and a $44,000 custom motorcycle. The price tag on his chihuahua, Dexter, which yaps at his feet: $1,200.

A precious commodity himself, Mr. Dinnison belongs to a class of nouveau riche rising in remote and mineral-rich parts of the world, such as Western Australia state, where mining companies are investing heavily to develop and expand iron-ore mines. Demand for those willing to work 12-hour days in sometimes dangerous conditions, while living for weeks in dusty small towns, is huge.

"It's a historical shortage," says Sigurd Mareels, director of global mining for research firm McKinsey & Co. Not just in Australia, but around the world. In Canada, example, the Mining Industry Council foresees a shortfall of 60,000 to 90,000 workers by 2017. Peru must find 40,000 new miners by the end of the decade."

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hardly evidence of jobs

Hardly evidence of jobs lying around for anyone willing to look. I could argue the point thoroughly in this case, as mining in Canada being shut down is half the reason the Newfoundland economy went to shit.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
I could argue the point too,

I could argue the point too, Vastet.

I'm in Canada as well, and am an employer. I've had many schools send kids to me over the years in apprenticeship programs for credits.

The schools are the ones that showed me the StatsCan studies on what is actually happening.

This was over 10 yrs ago, but....StatsCan studies showed (IIRC) that about 55% of the 'trades' people are around the age of 50, and will be lost through attrition, leaving a huge gap that doesn't have an abundance of younger people to fill those gaps.

The majority of parents surveyed in Canada encourage their children to look for other methods of employment other than skilled trades or manual labor.

Contrasted to places like Germany, where being a 'Journeyman' is considered a lofty goal (with very good salaries and immediate and long term benefits), let alone a 'Master' tradesman.

Germany is culturally very different from North America. They have some of the most stringent worker safety regulations, and the highest burdened labor rates, last time I checked.

We've all heard the term "Buy American".

In America, it's a buzz term, while in Germany, 'Buy German' is much more a hard philosophy and very deeply part of the culture.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:This was over 10 yrs

Quote:
This was over 10 yrs ago, but....StatsCan studies showed (IIRC) that about 55% of the 'trades' people are around the age of 50, and will be lost through attrition, leaving a huge gap that doesn't have an abundance of younger people to fill those gaps.

I certainly can't disagree with that. Plant after manufacturer after mine after fishing industry has been replaced with walmart-esque jobs and contractors. When I moved to Ontario in '98, there were 4 times as many industries in the area as there are now.

It's not like there are mines and factories on every corner to apply to. I've never even seen an active mine. And most of the factories I'm familiar with have deals with temp companies to rotate rosters of temps through every 3 months so they can pay them less than half the rate an actual employee gets and none of the benefits. I've watched good, hard workers try to get into plants for years and be passed up because it's cheaper to have a crew of temps.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
While working security at a

While working security at a plant over a 5 year period, the number of times someone was actually hired by the plant can be counted on two fingers. And one of those was replacing a 50+ guy who was forced to retire due to medical problems.

It's just not easy finding a good career these days.

edit:
at least in my experience.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Make yourself valuable and

Make yourself valuable and you will get a job. Companies want good employees, it may surprise people but they are whiling to pay good money to people who are worth it. Don't be surprised if you don't get a good job if you are middle of the road joe who barely finished high school and has no previous employers to vouch that you are amazing.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Squady
Theist
User is offlineOffline
That I think is due to the

That I think is due to the shortfall of miners across the globe.