Atheist Refugee

ImmortalisDeusEx
ImmortalisDeusEx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheist Refugee

Hello, I would like to start out by thanking everyone here for being accepted into the community. Just a brief run down, I grew up in a VERY small town (Population < 2000) in southern Illinois. Within the area I was the only open atheist that I was aware of; First chance I had I fled to the closest city, St. Louis, MO. I still reside there and I am attending college, currently bouncing back and forth between biological science and physics. 

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." -Richard Dawkins

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome...enjoy the site. 

Welcome...enjoy the site. 

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi.

WElcome to the forums I live in Southern Ontario myself.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Welcome Immoratis.Did the

Welcome Immortalis.

Did the small town accept your atheism or did they try to save you?

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pleased to meet you, Immortal

have fun here. 

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

ImmortalisDeusEx
User is offlineOffline
 Far from accepting, most

Far from accepting, most tried the whole saving my soul from eternal damnation thing. Even had rocks thrown in couple of instances believe it or not.

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." -Richard Dawkins

Lyzandra Daria
atheist
Lyzandra Daria's picture
User is offlineOffline
ImmortalisDeusEx wrote: Far

ImmortalisDeusEx wrote:

Far from accepting, most tried the whole saving my soul from eternal damnation thing. Even had rocks thrown in couple of instances believe it or not.

>>>

I can believe it.  

You represented a threat.  People didn't want you to succeed at anything, because that would mean that God wasn't punishing you for your failure to worship him.  They couldn't shoot you so the next best thing was 'stoning' or vandalizing or destroying something of yours.  If not for your family (who remained part of the 'fold') they probably would have 'accidentally' burned down your house and stood around to watch it burn (since they couldn't crucify you or burn you at the stake).  I'll even bet that nobody was sad to see you leave their little community.

"Faith must have adequate evidence else it is mere superstition"...Alexander Hodge (1823-1886)

"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes"...James Feibleman (1904-1987)

Respectfully, Lyz

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! And congratulations

Welcome! And congratulations in your resistance and escape!

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

ImmortalisDeusEx
User is offlineOffline
 Thank you, all of you. For

Thank you, all of you. For your support and for welcoming me into the community.