Tim Tebow/Jesus Christ Jerseys

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tim Tebow/Jesus Christ Jerseys

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201111/tebow-custom-jerseys-create-hullabaloo

Rift Over Tim Tebow Custom "Jesus" Jerseys

Monday, November 14, 2011 10:22 pm Written by: Ben Maller

He's the model citizen, the guy you want your daughter to date, yet Tim Tebow can't help being the most polarizing figure in all of professional sports.

And during the upcoming holiday shopping season, Tebow is going to get even more controversial -- once again without any action on his part.

A handful of Denver fans have decided a customized Tim Tebow jersey would make for the perfect Christmas gift. What could possibly be troubling about that? A whole lot, depending on who you ask.

Rather than have the last name "Tebow" on the back of the Broncos jersey, these fans have placed "Jesus" above Tebow's No. 15.

Not everyone thinks it's appropriate. Some fans told CNN (via KTVQ) that the new custom apparel is blasphemous.

"Sports is one thing, and Jesus is another thing," Traci Yown, a mom Christmas shopping for her son told the network. "I like to have their names, their last names on the jerseys. I'm a Christian, but I mean I wouldn't want people going around having Jesus on the back of their jerseys."

But Rev. Marcus Buckley of a Baptist Church in Greer, Colo. believes those who speak out against such public displays of religion are haters.

"To me it just shows a cultural bias against Christ and Christianity," Rev. Buckley said.

He also feels the jerseys are a compliment to Tebow.

Religious fanatics haven't stopped at uniforms; some have even created Tebow in what's been described as Christ-like images.

As for his football prowess, Tebow has led the Broncos to a 3-1 record despite struggling to complete the forward pass. The former Florida Gators star completed just two of eight passes for 69 yards against the Chiefs over the weekend. Tebow became just the second quarterback in 51 years to lead his team in passing attempts (*min. 3 attempts), but end up with more rushing attempts. Bobby Douglass did it three times for the 1972 Chicago Bears.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:But

harleysportster wrote:

But Rev. Marcus Buckley of a Baptist Church in Greer, Colo. believes those who speak out against such public displays of religion are haters.

"To me it just shows a cultural bias against Christ and Christianity," Rev. Buckley said.

I wonder how our good reverend would be reacting if there were Atheist jerseys, with names like Dawkins, Dennett, Hitchens or Harris on the back of them ?

But after all, "It's a culture bias against Christ and Christianity,".

Hehe, those pitiful, persecuted and oppressed theists.

How can they possibly survive in a world that has a "culture bias" ?

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
This isn't the the first

This isn't the the first time this has happened. At least it isn't the players or the league. However one NBA player a few years back suggested a cross on all the teams jersies. That rightfully got bitch slapped down quickely.

I'm torn on this becaus it is legal. It is the fan ordering it custom made, not the league printing them first and then selling them. They wouldn't do that anyway because there are pleanty of Christians on all the teams.

But the blasphemy issue is stupid. For that alone I'd say yes, just to prove to that idiot that their private parts wont fall off. But I am against it because it shows how stupid god belief is because every individual says their god is playing favorites to them. War is bad enough when people make claims about who god loves best, but sports?

Really? Does your fictional Jesus have nothing better to do than rig the game for you? What about the other team? Arn't their players asking for his help too?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201111/tebow-custom-jerseys-create-hullabaloo

Rift Over Tim Tebow Custom "Jesus" Jerseys

Monday, November 14, 2011 10:22 pm Written by: Ben Maller

He's the model citizen, the guy you want your daughter to date, yet Tim Tebow can't help being the most polarizing figure in all of professional sports.

And during the upcoming holiday shopping season, Tebow is going to get even more controversial -- once again without any action on his part.

A handful of Denver fans have decided a customized Tim Tebow jersey would make for the perfect Christmas gift. What could possibly be troubling about that? A whole lot, depending on who you ask.

Rather than have the last name "Tebow" on the back of the Broncos jersey, these fans have placed "Jesus" above Tebow's No. 15.

Not everyone thinks it's appropriate. Some fans told CNN (via KTVQ) that the new custom apparel is blasphemous.

"Sports is one thing, and Jesus is another thing," Traci Yown, a mom Christmas shopping for her son told the network. "I like to have their names, their last names on the jerseys. I'm a Christian, but I mean I wouldn't want people going around having Jesus on the back of their jerseys."

Religious fanatics haven't stopped at uniforms; some have even created Tebow in what's been described as Christ-like images.

As for his football prowess, Tebow has led the Broncos to a 3-1 record despite struggling to complete the forward pass. The former Florida Gators star completed just two of eight passes for 69 yards against the Chiefs over the weekend. Tebow became just the second quarterback in 51 years to lead his team in passing attempts (*min. 3 attempts), but end up with more rushing attempts. Bobby Douglass did it three times for the 1972 Chicago Bears.

As a long time Bronco fan Tebow is problematic for me. I'm still not convinced he is a qualified NFL quarterback. Time will tell.

He is entitled to pray to the Jesus when good things happen if he wants, Free Speech. And I'm entitled to make fun of him for doing so.

If some fans want to equate Tebow to the Jesus let them. I can see the parallels after all.

Both Tebow and the Jesus have not shown to be very reliable. The Jesus promised to come back many times and never did as he claimed. The "some standing here will not taste death before I return" comment.

And the Jesus' record for answering prayers is at best 50/50. Worse for things like winning games in the NFL and winning Lotto.

Tebow has won 3 away games and lost a home game. The 1st game he won he played terrible for 55 minutes. Then apparently the Jesus came to aid the Tebow and he played better for 5 minutes and beat Miami.

Or was it a Team thing?

In the Miami game after scoring a TD with 2:44 left an onside kick was recovered by Denver. Note - Tebow was not on the field at the time.

After several passes a 5 yd pass resulted in a TD. Note- there are 2 people involved in a pass.

Tebow did run in for a 2 point conversion.

The game went to OT and the Fins played badly. After a fumble at the Fins 35 forced by Williams Denver gains a few yards and Praeter kicks the OT winning Field Goal - Note not Tebow either.

Maybe this shows just how bad Miami is not how good Tebow's Jesus is.

Then there was the loss to Detroit at home. The Jesus did not help the Tebow much.

The Raiders win was more due to the Raiders then the Tebow. One of the QBs I have no use for, Jason Campbell of the Raiders, was injured 2 weeks before. The evil Raiders, (note my love for them) had former Bengals has been Carson Palmer as QB, and they weren't doing well. He had 3 TDs and 3 interceptions. Perhaps the Denver defense had something to do with this win, not the Tebow.

Then Kansas City demonstrated that the Tebow did not need to pass to beat them, as old ladies could waltz down the field and gain 4.9 yards per play.

Can the Tebow with the help of the Jesus continue to not complete passes and win?

I don't think so. Maybe he will get an infusion from the Jesus to beat the Jets Thursday night. Or maybe Sanchez will play badly like he sometimes does, as in the NE loss.

Last I checked, the Jets are favored by 4.5.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:If some fans want to

Quote:
If some fans want to equate Tebow to the Jesus let them. I can see the parallels after all.

Yep, both Tebo and Jesus are self absorbed and looking to get attention for their religious gang.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
 Why is it that some Tebow

Why is it that some Tebow fans interpret any questioning of his abilities as an attack on his (and their) faith in the Jesus? I accept that this question may hold its answer and I just don't see it.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dancing With Mr P

Check the veiled threat..."If this was a Muslim country". In other words, boy are you guys lucky we are not in charge like we used to be (or someday will be). We will fucking kill your asses when Jeebus puts us back in charge.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
 It's a childish reflection

It's a childish reflection of our evolutionary alpha male mentality.

So in other words Pat, if we didn't have a Constitution to protect me you would have us arrested or worse? Ok,Kim Jong Ill.

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline

Here's the SNL clip Pat Robertson was referring to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPpFe3GR7p8  Tebow and The Broncos are in the locker room after the game and Jesus comes in for a pep talk, telling Tebow to "take it down a notch."  It's funny stuff! 

##mod edit. added video

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline

ex-minister on Pat Robertson's comment about the criticism against Tebow:

ex-minister wrote:

Check the veiled threat..."If this was a Muslim country". In other words, boy are you guys lucky we are not in charge like we used to be (or someday will be). We will fucking kill your asses when Jeebus puts us back in charge.

Exactly.  The Christians like Pat Robertson wish they had a theocracy so they could kill us like the Muslim theocracies certainly would have.  It's unfortunate for the Christians that the Enlightenment happened, and even the Renaissance.  It's amazing how many people think like Pat Robertson... He could at least understand that natural forces cause natural disasters and not sinners making God angry; that really gets annoying after awhile. 

That reminds me of a story the anthropologist Pascal Boyer told in Religion Explained: The Evolutionary Origins of Religious Thought.  He said he was in Africa studying a tribe's religious beliefs and then someone's hut collapsed.  The tribesmen immediately thought that someone used witchcraft.  When Boyer pressed them, saying that termites were in the wall chewing away, they said, "Yes!  We know about the termites; but why did it have to fall at that particular time?!"  The tribesmen didn't understand independent causal chains.

--

Hey, harleysportser.  I never thought about having Dawkins jerseys!  That would be funny.  I've seen people with Michael Jordan jerseys, but never a jersey with an intellectual on the back.   

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I really fucking hate the

I really fucking hate the gang mentality humans can have, especially when it comes to religion and politics.

No matter what country you live in. No matter what wealth you have or political power you have or religious position you have, you STILL have to face the fact that you are STILL one person on a planet of 7 billion. Jefferson died, all the popes in the past died, Kim Jong Ill died, I will die, everyone reading this will die.

No one reading this is special. Life before evolution began will be the same after our species goes extinct. While we have better knowledge of science and human psychology, we will still be different no matter what. You will always have differences. What the world can do collectively is to stop trying to force utopias on each other and deal with reality the way it is.

Macbeth act 5 scene 5 "flurry of activity signifying nothing".

If we lose the attitude of utopias and seek the overlap of the human condition, our differences will still happen, but we will learn to cope better without the tribalism being the priority.

I really understand now why Dawkins blames Plato for fucking up humanity. Plato sold the idea that simply thinking about something you could conceive or reach a "perfection". Everything superstitious today is based on that bullshit meme. It is something humanity needs to lose if we want to move forward with a minimal amount of conflict.

Every aspect of life gets fucked up. "Libertarian" "Liberal" are those bi products that falsely lead people to "ideals" that can never be reached "perfectly". Humans are much more complex as individuals than the labels they hold.

Louis_Cypher
BloggerSuperfan
Louis_Cypher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Conspiritards are us...

Philosophicus wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

Exactly.  The Christians like Pat Robertson wish they had a theocracy so they could kill us like the Muslim theocracies certainly would have.  It's unfortunate for the Christians that the Enlightenment happened, and even the Renaissance.  It's amazing how many people think like Pat Robertson... He could at least understand that natural forces cause natural disasters and not sinners making God angry; that really gets annoying after awhile. 

That reminds me of a story the anthropologist Pascal Boyer told in Religion Explained: The Evolutionary Origins of Religious Thought.  He said he was in Africa studying a tribe's religious beliefs and then someone's hut collapsed.  The tribesmen immediately thought that someone used witchcraft.  When Boyer pressed them, saying that termites were in the wall chewing away, they said, "Yes!  We know about the termites; but why did it have to fall at that particular time?!"  The tribesmen didn't understand independent causal chains.

--

Hey, harleysportser.  I never thought about having Dawkins jerseys!  That would be funny.  I've seen people with Michael Jordan jerseys, but never a jersey with an intellectual on the back.   

I always feel like a 'conspiratard' when I point this out but...
Robertson ascribes to the philosophical/political idea of "Dominionism" wherein the adherents believe that Christians should have total political control over the nation and the world. In their view, no one else is 'fit' to rule and yes, they DO want to institute a Christian Theocracy...

LC >;-}>

Christianity: A disgusting middle eastern blood cult, based in human sacrifice, with sacraments of cannibalism and vampirism, whose highest icon is of a near naked man hanging in torment from a device of torture.

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Every aspect

Brian37 wrote:

Every aspect of life gets fucked up. "Libertarian" "Liberal" are those bi products that falsely lead people to "ideals" that can never be reached "perfectly". Humans are much more complex as individuals than the labels they hold.

yes, Brian37.

Once you label me you negate me.  - Soren Kierkegaard

That was excellent points by Dawkins. The combination of Judaism & Plato was a bad mix and that mix was done in the DARK AGES. Perfection is simply not rational and not possible. It only causes conflict and stress and the problem is those who set themselves up to know what perfection is.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I really

Brian37 wrote:

I really fucking hate the gang mentality humans can have, especially when it comes to religion and politics.

You have no basis for your indignation.

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:Brian37

Lee2216 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

You have no basis for your indignation.

What was I thinking, 9/11 was my imagination. Palestine/Israel is my imagination. Catholic/Protestant in Ireland. Dark Ages, witch hunts. North Korea, Stalin. None of those things happen because of humans having gang mentalities.

I just worry too much. Gotta stop reading my history books and watching the news because human suffering is just my imagination.

Thank you so much for setting me straight, where have you been all my life?

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Louis_Cypher

Louis_Cypher wrote:

Philosophicus wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

--

I always feel like a 'conspiratard' when I point this out but...
Robertson ascribes to the philosophical/political idea of "Dominionism" wherein the adherents believe that Christians should have total political control over the nation and the world. In their view, no one else is 'fit' to rule and yes, they DO want to institute a Christian Theocracy...

LC >;-}>

I totally agree with your assesment of Robertson and his type of theology.   These bigots don't realize they are in violation of the Jesus order "to render unto Caeser  that which is Caesers and render unto g-d that which is g-ds."  i.e. seperating church from state.  Saul of Tarses preached  takeing over the governments,  Ephesians 6:1 - 14. It means crazy Pat/Marion isn't a christian he's a Pauline.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paul and Jesus

Jeffrick wrote:

I totally agree with your assesment of Robertson and his type of theology.   These bigots don't realize they are in violation of the Jesus order "to render unto Caeser  that which is Caesers and render unto g-d that which is g-ds."  i.e. seperating church from state.  Saul of Tarses preached  takeing over the governments,  Ephesians 6:1 - 14. It means crazy Pat/Marion isn't a christian he's a Pauline.

I don't see where Eph 6 it refers to taking over governments. Verse 12 is the closest thing to it but it is not talking about the world we see, but the imaginary world of demons and shit. The verses before that talk about obeying authorities such as your slave master. Paul also calls himself an ambassador in chains. He doesn't ask g-d or J-s-s or Chr-st--ns to come free him and over throw any government. Tell me where you think this applies to the physical (real) world. I regard Jesus and Paul as the same in this matter.

Eph 6:12 wrote:

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 

Religion Kills !!!

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
KJV

There is a slightly different wording in my Gideon.  "For we wrestle NOT against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, AND against the spiritual wickedness in high places."    I'll concede that you are much better trained in bible studies then I and I am baseing my interpretation on a few years of catholic grade school  but my reading of the passage is "don't fight yourself but fight against rulers and power blocs against the darkness [non christian]  of the world, against the spiritual vacuum of any and all elites. To fight is to convert or replace. This seems to be Pat/Marion MO and opposite to seperation of church and state. 

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline

Bill Maher got into some heat over Christmas weekend over a tweet about Tebow losing to the Bills.  If you know Maher you can imagine the kind of thing he would say. 

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Comedian-Bill-Maher-creates-firestorm-with-profane-tweet-about-Denver-Broncos-QB-Tim-Tebow-122711/

I don't think he was that offensive, but I'm on his side in regard to religion.  The conservative Christians appear to have been really offended.  The author of the article also pointed out that "Maher, an atheist, made a 2008 documentary called 'Religulous' that mocked organized religion, and he routinely jokes about religion on his show."  Here's what The Rapture Right had to say about Religulous: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02CRWsfxQdE&list=UUD0z-xygQme9sBNvouB5Xmg&index=11&feature=plcp

I'm glad this movie made it to the big screens.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I love the fake indignity

I love the fake indignity they claim. The only thing that prevents them from blowing stuff up like the nutty Muslims in the east is a secular constitution that protects even offending religion.

When these types shout "Don't pick on my daddy", I get the mental image of a midget standing spread eagle in front of the Terminator shouting "Dont hit my god, you might hurt him".

Really? If I am infinitely puny compared to your "all powerful" god then why would you need to step between us?

Must be a really wimpy god to be hurt by mere name calling. And it also would speak to the priorities of such a critter. Name calling bad, but war, famine, disease and crime are fine with this deity.

Maybe Bill is onto something just like one would be right to laugh at someone claiming the earth to be flat. Just like it would be right to laugh at anyone claiming women shouldn't drive or vote.

I loved him attacking the Mormon church and doing the interview with former members. And if these Mormons knew what a con artist Smith was in reality, and they knew what a bloodthirsty dick Baylor and his family were in reality, they would be a shamed,

But that is what you have to do to defend myth, gloss over the reality of the history of violence needed to defend ALL religions.

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions" Thomas Jefferson.

He would care less about Bill's delivery and more about WHY Bill made the argument. Something lost on these right wingers. Something that without a Constitution that protects blasphemy, would push them to physically harm Bill.

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline

The Young Turks discussed Bill Maher's Tebow tweet and the ensuing outrage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUrWDZvMKdU  They made some good points.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tim Tebow comic

Now there is a Tim Tebow comic.

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-it-was-inevitable-tim-tebow-is-20111230,0,1721225.premiumvideo

If he doesn't win today, the 2nd issue can be the evil Orton (money gruber)  and the KC Chiefs as Satan's agents.

Not that the Tebow isn't about money, he doesn't work for free either.

Denver fans are not like Gator fans, if the Tebow doesn't get the Broncos in the playoffs he may get crucified himself.

I'll bring the nails.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.