Evolution for Dummies

Zeeboe
User is offlineOffline
Evolution for Dummies

EVOLUTION FOR DUMMIES ON AMAZON.COM

I have yet to read a book on the topic, and I was thinking this may be a good start. Has anyone else read it, and if so, what did you think? Or do you know of any other introduction books? Since I am a newbie, I'd prefer a book that is entertaining and educational and won't confuse me, or put me to sleep. Smiling

Also - While I do desire to read about the Big Bang, at this time, I am interested in reading about how we were once apes, and all the details of that subject, as well as stuff about Survival of the fittest. I know Darwin is the way to go, but his work seems more like the type of thing to read after going through the ABC's of this topic.

Thanks!

Skepticus
atheist
Skepticus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi, Zeeboe

I haven't read the book but can recommend a website: evolution.berkeley.org. I'm not sure my link is correct but you can find it with Google.

It explains evolution in understandible terms.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zeeboe wrote:EVOLUTION FOR

Zeeboe wrote:

EVOLUTION FOR DUMMIES ON AMAZON.COM

I have yet to read a book on the topic, and I was thinking this may be a good start. Has anyone else read it, and if so, what did you think? Or do you know of any other introduction books? Since I am a newbie, I'd prefer a book that is entertaining and educational and won't confuse me, or put me to sleep. Smiling

Also - While I do desire to read about the Big Bang, at this time, I am interested in reading about how we were once apes, and all the details of that subject, as well as stuff about Survival of the fittest. I know Darwin is the way to go, but his work seems more like the type of thing to read after going through the ABC's of this topic.

Thanks!

As a rule, I find the "For Dummies" series to be "gettable"... good primers on the subject just enough to get you feet wet.... for the most part, they are easy to read and entertaining too.

I can't speak for the content of the book, but it does seem to to cover the basis. This book is about biological evolution though. You may want to check out cosmological evolution too.

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jerry Coyne's book Why

Jerry Coyne's book Why Evolution Is True is the best for beginners. I bought the book, read it, then bought the audio cds and listen to it in my truck.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Zeeboe
User is offlineOffline
That's cool. I hope to get a

That's cool. Thanks folks! Smiling I will look into all the suggestions. I decided to go ahead and buy the "Evolution for Dummies" book. I hope to get a few good books on the subject in the future and in due time, start reading books by men such as Darwin and Dawkins.

I've been meaning to study this subject for years. I've just been busy reading American Civil War and other history books, but since becoming a Planet of the Apes nerd, my interest in our origins has grown. I'm looking for books that will not only help my brain grow, but will also be fun to read as well, and I think Evolution is an entertaining and interesting topic to read, so hopefully this will become a new hobby.