Man's lifespan

ScottWilliams324
atheist
ScottWilliams324's picture
Posts: 16
Joined: 2011-10-20
User is offlineOffline
Man's lifespan

 

Genesis 6:3 wrote:
And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

Ummm, okay.

Genesis 9:29 wrote:
And all the days of Noah were nine hundred and fifty years: and he died.

But didn't you just say that man won't live longer than one hundred-twenty years three chapters ago?

 


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7523
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
 Day: a unit of measurement

 Day: a unit of measurement typically referred to as a rotation of the Earth on its axis.  However among Christians this "day" can be any length of time.  It can be 5 rotations of the Earth or 700 rotations of the Earth as long as it helps them explain something Biblical.

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
Posts: 1474
Joined: 2009-01-23
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: Day: a unit

Sapient wrote:

 Day: a unit of measurement typically referred to as a rotation of the Earth on its axis.  However among Christians this "day" can be any length of time.  It can be 5 rotations of the Earth or 700 rotations of the Earth as long as it helps them explain something Biblical.

 

I cannot remember who it was but he is one of those christian scietists, he believes we are still in the 7 days of creation. I cannot remember which day it was though. The days just refering to a period of time not 24 hour cycles. Anyone who who this is, I cannot for the life of me remember.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.


Matt
Posts: 22
Joined: 2011-10-28
User is offlineOffline
I think the distinction some

I think the distinction some bible literalists make between man who lives one-hundred and twenty years, and man who lives nine-hundred years, is if they existed before the Fall, or Deluge.  If we are to believe the likes of Kent Hovind or Dr. Carl Baugh, prediluvian man enjoyed an atmosphere much richer in O2 than ours, promoting vastly superior intelligence and gigantic proportions.  I will have to scour the internet a little to find this, but Dr. Carl Baugh was once convinced that he should insert himself into a chamber fllled with O3 (ozone), since O3 is somehow "better" than O2.  He thought he would become a hyperintelligent giant.  Luckily for him, one of his friends who was a chemist talked him out of it before he was killed.


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3312
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: Day: a unit

Sapient wrote:

 Day: a unit of measurement typically referred to as a rotation of the Earth on its axis.  However among Christians this "day" can be any length of time.  It can be 5 rotations of the Earth or 700 rotations of the Earth as long as it helps them explain something Biblical.

 

Religion is the one institution, that has been telling people for the past few thousand years, their sacred text does not REALLY mean what it says it does.

First the Bible doesn't contradict itself, but then it does.

First the Bible is absolute, true and literal, except in the parts where they have to explain to me that  this particular part is symbolic.

The book of genesis is replete with people living, 800 years, 900 years, and so forth.

I remember someone making the assertion that Tapey was alluding to, but like he stated, the name of the individual that claimed this ridiculous notion escapes my memory.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


ex-minister
atheistHigh Level ModeratorSilver Member
ex-minister's picture
Posts: 1708
Joined: 2010-01-29
User is offlineOffline
I think abraham lived to be

I think abraham lived to be 175 years old. Yet we learn from history and science that primitive man lived to his 30's. And it is only the most recent generations live to their 70s or 80s. Yet there are a number of well known people who lived that long hundreds of years ago, like my favorite composer Papa Haydn, and Bach lived a long life. Maybe Ben Franklin. Moses was 80 when he stood before Pharoah and died well over 100. Yet the bible doesn't indicate that was remarkable. The Pharaohs didn't live to such great ages. Lots of ancient religions talk about people living to unbelievable ages. I am confused on this matter and science hasn't cleared it up for me either.

 

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7523
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:First

harleysportster wrote:

First the Bible doesn't contradict itself, but then it does.

First the Bible is absolute, true and literal, except in the parts where they have to explain to me that  this particular part is symbolic.

Hope you don't mind I didn't quote you:

http://twitter.com/#!/rationalsquad/status/130687658757341184

http://twitter.com/#!/rationalsquad/status/130687814688972801

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5852
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
ex-minister wrote:I think

ex-minister wrote:

I think abraham lived to be 175 years old. Yet we learn from history and science that primitive man lived to his 30's. And it is only the most recent generations live to their 70s or 80s. Yet there are a number of well known people who lived that long hundreds of years ago, like my favorite composer Papa Haydn, and Bach lived a long life. Maybe Ben Franklin. Moses was 80 when he stood before Pharoah and died well over 100. Yet the bible doesn't indicate that was remarkable. The Pharaohs didn't live to such great ages. Lots of ancient religions talk about people living to unbelievable ages. I am confused on this matter and science hasn't cleared it up for me either.

 

Actually, I understand that the figure of average life expectancy back then was low, but that was due to much higher infant and child mortality.

The maximum age that people could live to wasn't that much less than today, so you could still reach your 80's or more, once you survived through your earlier years.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
Posts: 1474
Joined: 2009-01-23
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence wrote:ex-minister

BobSpence wrote:

ex-minister wrote:

I think abraham lived to be 175 years old. Yet we learn from history and science that primitive man lived to his 30's. And it is only the most recent generations live to their 70s or 80s. Yet there are a number of well known people who lived that long hundreds of years ago, like my favorite composer Papa Haydn, and Bach lived a long life. Maybe Ben Franklin. Moses was 80 when he stood before Pharoah and died well over 100. Yet the bible doesn't indicate that was remarkable. The Pharaohs didn't live to such great ages. Lots of ancient religions talk about people living to unbelievable ages. I am confused on this matter and science hasn't cleared it up for me either.

 

Actually, I understand that the figure of average life expectancy back then was low, but that was due to much higher infant and child mortality.

The maximum age that people could live to wasn't that much less than today, so you could still reach your 80's or more, once you survived through your earlier years.

Should be noted that is for males. I don't know about in this culture but in many ancient cultures woman died far before men due to the number of children they had with no real medical treatment. Either due to death while giving birth or there body just giving out way before mens due to this treatment (mainly because it starts young in there lives).

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3312
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:Should be noted

Tapey wrote:

Should be noted that is for males. I don't know about in this culture but in many ancient cultures woman died far before men due to the number of children they had with no real medical treatment. Either due to death while giving birth or there body just giving out way before mens due to this treatment (mainly because it starts young in there lives).

As far as Biblical time periods go, I don't really know. I know that medieval queen Eleanor of Aquitaine lived to be in her eighties, whether that was unusual for the time period of the Middle Ages or not, I am not certain.

Most of the books around this time period are focused on members of royalty due to the fact that so little is known about the peasantry of the medieval world.

There is one book called "Daily Life in the Middle Ages" that touches upon it quite well. The worst by far, that I have ever read was called "A world lit only by fire,". which was filled with so many historical innacuracies and outright unproveable tales that it deserved to be pulled off of the shelf.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3312
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
Sapient

Sapient wrote:

harleysportster wrote:

First the Bible doesn't contradict itself, but then it does.

First the Bible is absolute, true and literal, except in the parts where they have to explain to me that  this particular part is symbolic.

Hope you don't mind I didn't quote you:

http://twitter.com/#!/rationalsquad/status/130687658757341184

http://twitter.com/#!/rationalsquad/status/130687814688972801

Smiling

It is the message that counts !

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:Tapey

harleysportster wrote:

Tapey wrote:

Should be noted that is for males. I don't know about in this culture but in many ancient cultures woman died far before men due to the number of children they had with no real medical treatment. Either due to death while giving birth or there body just giving out way before mens due to this treatment (mainly because it starts young in there lives).

As far as Biblical time periods go, I don't really know. I know that medieval queen Eleanor of Aquitaine lived to be in her eighties, whether that was unusual for the time period of the Middle Ages or not, I am not certain.

 

Most of what I have read claims a 50% death rate for women of childbearing years.  90% for the first year of infancy in the middle ages.  My numbers may be way out of date, it has been awhile since I paid any attention.

Oh, and there is no evidence Moses ever existed.  No mention of a Canaanite (they were all Canaanites then) close to Pharaoh, let alone one raised as a foster brother.  No mention of a mass exodus of Canaanites, nor that they were all enslaved.  On the contrary, many were farmers, merchants and a few managed to rise up to the civil service.  No mention or indication of plagues, including no economic downturns.  See:  The Bible Unearthed.  Available at your local library.

 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.