Theist
Presuppositionalist's picture
User is offlineOffline
If we evolved...

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 If the woodpecker evolved

If the woodpecker evolved a longer tongue then why is there still a woodpecker or a tongue?

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Those individuals with

Those individuals with longer tongues were more successful at passing on their genes than those without -- a process commonly referred to as "natural selection".

There are no theists on operating tables.

πππ†
π†††

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
What is to explain? If a

What is to explain? If a longer tongue makes it easier for them get food from deeper in the tree, which seems highly likely, natural selection will tend to lead to them having longer tongues.

Its not as if increasing the length of the tongue requires some fancy mutation, unless you have reports to the contrary.

It seems perfectly in accord with evolutionary theory.

If you want a real puzzle, how would you explain the arrangement of the laryngeal nerve of the giraffe in the context of an intelligent creator?

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2010/06/the_laryngeal_nerve_of_the_gir.php

It is easy to explain by evolution, because evolution is limited to small steps at each generation. There is no such problem with the elongation of the woodpecker's tongue - it can just get a tiny bit longer, on average, at each generation..

But it makes no sense for an omnipotent creator to have left the arrangement of the nerve as it is.

Everything makes so much more sense without your 'presupposition'.

Please find some more 'problems' in evolution, since we can show how they help to work against your position.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:What is to

BobSpence1 wrote:

What is to explain? If a longer tongue makes it easier for them get food from deeper in the tree, which seems highly likely, natural selection will tend to lead to them having longer tongues.

Its not as if increasing the length of the tongue requires some fancy mutation, unless you have reports to the contrary.

It seems perfectly in accord with evolutionary theory.

Right but why is there still a woodpecker? 

/xian

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I didn't even know this was

I didn't even know this was a creationists' argument.  I had to search for this:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/woodpecker/woodpecker.html

Smiling

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 Some people are just

Some people are just fucking stupid.  I've always said it's the presuppositionalists.  

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

Presuppositionalist wrote:

...how do you explain the woodpecker's tongue?

Thank you very much for giving us such a great example of the wilful ignorance and deliberate misrepresentation and distortion of known facts, that your stubborn commitment to a deeply fallacious world-view forces you into....

We appreciate your contribution to the site.

'Presups/Fundies say the darndest things!' - acknowledgements to www.fstdt.com/

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

HumanVuvuzela
atheist
HumanVuvuzela's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

If we were intelligently designed, how do you explain the woodpecker's tongue?

I mean, why would it grow all the way up to the top of the head and, in some species, grow around the eye socket, or even extend into the nasal cavity if there was an intelligent designer?

'Eccentricities', such as the woodpecker's tongue and the giraffe's laryngeal nerve, provide evidence in FAVOUR of evolution by natural selection, and AGAINST an intelligent designer. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: If the

Sapient wrote:

If the woodpecker evolved a longer tongue then why is there still a woodpecker or a tongue?

Classic. Laughing out loud

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

Evolution is FACT! Get over it and grow up.

Adenine, Guanine, Thymine, Cytosine...................LOOK IT UP.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog