Watching Monday night Football

Zeepheus
atheist
Zeepheus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watching Monday night Football

OK so I am watching the Monday night football game and one of the colts plays just got what appeared to be a severely broken leg. The first thing that happens is 3/4 of the players from both teams are on their knees praying for the guy that went down. Just something that has always made me shake my head and I had to say something about it because you know some of these guys do go out there to hurt other guys and yet as soon as someone goes down they are one of the first ones on their knees praying.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

You see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zeepheus wrote:OK so I am

Zeepheus wrote:

OK so I am watching the Monday night football game and one of the colts plays just got what appeared to be a severely broken leg. The first thing that happens is 3/4 of the players from both teams are on their knees praying for the guy that went down. Just something that has always made me shake my head and I had to say something about it because you know some of these guys do go out there to hurt other guys and yet as soon as someone goes down they are one of the first ones on their knees praying.

What gets me is that these same idiots who pray when they make a touchdown, somehow must think that their win/loss is more important than the 29,000 dead children who starved to death in one month in Africa.

FUCK the broken leg. I am with the players in "bloodthirst" only in the strictest sense that you want the other guy to get knocked out so that they cant beat you in that individual game. I am also with all players ESPECIALLY that all of them agree that they don't want a career ending injury. So it is not impossible for rival players to have empathy when an injury happens to the other team.

BUT, having said that, I am completely with you in the prayer crap. How the fuck can ANYONE pray to a god who would be more concerned about the lucky than starving children in Africa.

When a player tries to knock the block off their rival, that is part of the game, it is a contact sport. BUT I am in full agreement that the prayer seems a bit self serving and selfish considering all the poverty and crime and war in the world.

Suffering a career ending injury in a pro sport is NOTHING to the poverty that billions suffer on a daily basis.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

HumanVuvuzela
atheist
HumanVuvuzela's picture
User is offlineOffline
It was exactly this kind of

It was exactly this kind of bullshit that made me an atheist. In 1993, I prayed occasionally, without ever really believing in a god. It was just something you did in a house of religious parents. My team reached the grand final, against its arch enemy. My team had injuries, and a whole bunch of young players. But I prayed for them to win, and they won. 

Fortunately for me, rather than thinking about how 'powerful' my prayers were and how this was 'proof' of the existence of god, I thought "surely there must have been some people praying for the other side too?". How could a god listen to both sides' prayers, and answer both of them? What is the 'currency' of prayers? Is it simply the sheer number of prayers that wins out, or is there some measure of 'intensity' that needs to be taken into account? 

While I was happy that my team won, I am happier today that I 'saw the light' at the age of 14 and didn't have to grow up with this bullshit in my head. 

Like you guys, I shake my head whenever I see a sportsman thanking god or praising god when something good happens. We don't see much praying for the opponent - probably because in Australia religion is a far more personal thing, not something that you are seen to practice in the open. I certainly feel empathy for players who get injured - indeed, I have real difficulty watching replays of people getting seriously injured on the sporting field; it gives me flashbacks to my knee injury - but praying to god? Why the fuck didn't god look after him in the first place?

HumanVuvuzela
atheist
HumanVuvuzela's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, and more importantly,

Oh, and more importantly, who won the game?

I've supported San Francisco since I started following the game in the 80s (mainly due to their success at the time, and the fact that it was the first American city I ever visited, aged 4...), and Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and Steve Young were absolute legends. Since we haven't had NFL on free-to-air television in Australia until just recently, I haven't been able to (afford to) watch many matches, and with a young family, don't have much time now, either. 

I do enjoy the strategy behind it, though, and the skill of the players. It just takes so long to play a 60 minute game! 

Have any of you NFL fans ever seen a game of Australian Rules Football?

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Excellent point. Is it

Excellent point. Is it really any different than sending our boys off to war and pray for their safety? Like George Carlins great bit on baseball and football, football uses military terminology.

I wish I understood the rules of Rugby. It just makes no sense to me but I love to watch.

Go Redskins. A winning season so far. Dear Jesus please bless our dear boys in burgundy and gold and crush the hell out of those other teams. Ok there's my prayer and as long as the other guys team doesnt pray we should be good to go. That's Jesus way right? LIFO

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
In case you haven't heard,

In case you haven't heard, Hank Williams Jr shot his mouth off on Fox and Fakes equating Obama to Hitler, now he has lost that gig.

GOOD!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Zeepheus
atheist
Zeepheus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah this whole thing

Yeah this whole thing reminded me of a quote that I love from Terry Goodkind

"No one ever goes into battle thinking god is on the other side."

This quote applies to a sports mentality as well. If someone believes in a god why would they think that their god would be a fan of one team over another? There are alot of athletes that when they make even a mediocre play they are pointing to the sky and giving god all the credit. Or like when the game or whatever is over and the first thing out of a players mouth is something like first off I want to thank (insert deity) for doing whatever for me.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

So mr. NFL lost his bonus check and now has to fall back to only being able to sell out foot ball stadiums on his music? I shall have to cry him a river.

But really Brian, hating the guy for using the word that we are all called pretty much weekly? Dude, think about tolerance.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

So mr. NFL lost his bonus check and now has to fall back to only being able to sell out foot ball stadiums on his music? I shall have to cry him a river.

But really Brian, hating the guy for using the word that we are all called pretty much weekly? Dude, think about tolerance.

What?

Oh, you mean that SOME on the left call the right "hitler"?

It is more apt to describe the right to Hitler than it is to the left, although I agree it is a stretch for either side do do such.

MY SIDE are not the ones who think only those with money have rights. My side doesn't think that competition should equal starvation. My side does not think our economy should be "every man for themselves". Dictators only care about themselves. If your attitude is "I got mine and fuck everyone else" that seems more in line with a dictator.

Now, the reality IS that I know that you are not Hitler and even those at the top, while I despise what direction they want to take this country, no, no one is Hitler. But people with your mindset don't realize whom you hurt in the process in getting to the top. So if you only care about yourself I will treat you like you only care about yourself. What I wont do is let you use this false analogy to distract the argument away from the fact that ONE CLASS caused this mess.

NOW if you are looking for fairness. If he had said this about a Republican and got fired for it, it wouldn't matter if in that case I agree or not, the truth is when you open your mouth on the job and get fired for it EITHER WAY it is a risk you take. Or is it only the free market works when it benefits you?

If your boss fired you for something you said about him, wouldn't he have the right to fire you? So if ESPN doesn't like what he has to say, and thinks it will hurt them economically, isn't that the free market you defend?

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Answers in

Brian37 wrote:

What?

It is more apt to describe the right to Hitler than it is to the left, although I agree it is a stretch for either side do do such.

MY SIDE are not the ones who think only those with money have rights. My side doesn't think that competition should equal starvation. My side does not think our economy should be "every man for themselves". Dictators only care about themselves. If your attitude is "I got mine and fuck everyone else" that seems more in line with a dictator.

Now, the reality IS that I know that you are not Hitler and even those at the top, while I despise what direction they want to take this country, no, no one is Hitler. But people with your mindset don't realize whom you hurt in the process in getting to the top. So if you only care about yourself I will treat you like you only care about yourself. What I wont do is let you use this false analogy to distract the argument away from the fact that ONE CLASS caused this mess.

NOW if you are looking for fairness. If he had said this about a Republican and got fired for it, it wouldn't matter if in that case I agree or not, the truth is when you open your mouth on the job and get fired for it EITHER WAY it is a risk you take. Or is it only the free market works when it benefits you?

If your boss fired you for something you said about him, wouldn't he have the right to fire you? So if ESPN doesn't like what he has to say, and thinks it will hurt them economically, isn't that the free market you defend?

It is ESPN's right to have whatever song they want played. (he wasn't "fired" because he wasn't an employee) I think it is kind of stupid, I doubt anyone watching MNF gives a shit and is going to stop watching because of it but whatever, their show. In general I think it is bad for employers to fire employees for things they say unless it is likely to have a large impact on their job performance (Charlie Sheen getting fired for example was probably a necessary move), I don't do it and don't think others should but there shouldn't be a law against it. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Zeepheus
atheist
Zeepheus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Personally I thought the

Personally I thought the comment was inappropriate however that does not mean that he did not have the right to say it. I don't like alot of the things that people say but I will not say they have no right to say it. Now the real issue here is what does the person employing or using that persons product think and do they think it will have a negative impact on their bottom line. This is why I do not have a facebook account or do any other type of social media other than this site. I do not want any perspective employer or whatever to go searching online and go Oh well I don't like that so we will pass. Do I agree with this process? Hell no but I don't really have a say what is done. Do I think ESPN should have gotten rid of Hank for his obviously drunken comments. No really. If he had said there is no god would ESPN have gotten rid of him then? Everyone is so PC in this country it is ridiculous (but that is entirely another topic so I will leave that alone) All in all no I do not agree with Hank being let go by ESPN for his statement but no I do not agree with his statement. While I do not agree with what he said I would not stop watching MNF just because they use one of his songs. I don't agree with most of what Ted Nugent says but I still like his music.....

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Brian37

Beyond Saving wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

What?

It is ESPN's right to have whatever song they want played. (he wasn't "fired" because he wasn't an employee) I think it is kind of stupid, I doubt anyone watching MNF gives a shit and is going to stop watching because of it but whatever, their show. In general I think it is bad for employers to fire employees for things they say unless it is likely to have a large impact on their job performance (Charlie Sheen getting fired for example was probably a necessary move), I don't do it and don't think others should but there shouldn't be a law against it. 

WHO THE FUCK SAID ANYTHING ABOUT MAKING A LAW ABOUT IT?

Hank had every right to say what he wanted, and ESPN had every right to terminate the the contract. Now if there is a money issue involved I'd buy out the rest of his contract and dump him in the trash where he belongs. Terminating the contract is the same as firing, the only difference in this case is if that his contract is not up, then ESPN still has to pay him.

You are not talking about a store clerk bitching over a beer to his co-workers or family. Hank is a public figure, and when you get to his level, you are fair game. EVERYONE, be it a politician or celebrity IS FAIR GAME. ESPN did not lie about what he said or forced him to say what he said. Go take a media law course before you spew garbage like this.

If you are at Hanks level, or Obama's level, or Mitt Romney's level, you have no right to bitch about public scrutiny. Once you step outside your front door, as long as no one is touching you and you are on public property, you have no right to bitch.  Hank's rights were not violated, although ESPN may owe him money if they break the contract. ESPN did not demand his arrest . But, they may think about his actions as part of a future morals clause in future contracts with ANYONE they may put on tv now.

Now he can also if he has any balls apologize and MAYBE he can go back to doing it. But I am not a fan of fake apologies or forced apologies. But I think ESPN did the right thing. No one should force them to do the right thing, and they did the right thing WITHOUT government force. Now, when Fox News pulls it's bigoted shit IT also has the right to keep it's celebrities on the corporate dime, but I think Beck is a sign that Fox's ten year propaganda monopoly is failing and people are starting to see through it. Competition at work.

Funny when I say "competition" you don't believe me. I think you are much like the monopoly advocates at the top, you like competition only when you get what you want.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Answers in

Brian37 wrote:

What?

I wonder if BS was talking about atheists when he was speaking of being compared to Hitler...

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin