whitehouse.gov petitions

nude0007
atheist
nude0007's picture
User is offlineOffline
whitehouse.gov petitions

whitehouse.gov has been redesigned. It now accepts petitions for people to vote on. I think this is how our government should have been working a long time ago. Check it out. I saw this on Reddit. 3 petitions are of particular interest to the Atheist community as listed below. I think it is way past the time these are addressed.

REMOVE THE TAX EXEMPTION FOR CHURCHES
https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/%21/petition/remove-tax-exemption-churches-and-allow-them-apply-non-profit-organization/Jbm5...

REMOVE IN GOD WE TRUST FROM CURRENCY
https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/%21/petition/remove-god-we-trust-currency/bNhKRxQn?utm_source=wh.gov&utm_medium=shorturl&utm...

REMOVE UNDER GOD FROM PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/%21/petition/edit-pledge-allegiance-remove-phrase-under-god/v5J2fC6z?utm_source=wh.gov&utm_m...

You don't need these links. You can just go there and sign up and a list appears of these and more. Lets show a lot of support here.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
You need to post this at

You need to post this at every atheist AND secular website you can, if you haven't you should. This needs to be spread now, before the next election. This idea may not last with a future president.

There are secular believers that may agree with us on these petitions, they need to be heard too.

Good stuff, spread the word.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

nude0007
atheist
nude0007's picture
User is offlineOffline
Go Forth and Proseletize

I did indeed send an email or post to every site I visit.   I was hoping to get more people to do the same.  I think it is VERY important.  Wouldn't it be amazing if millions signed them?  It seems that hardly anyone is looking at this topic anywhere, tho.  I guess I should have named it something edgy and bizarre just to ge t attention.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Great job, nude0007!Quote:

Great job, nude0007!

Quote:
It seems that hardly anyone is looking at this topic anywhere, tho.

Apathy and complacency are both lazy bastards and hard to get motivated. But keep at it. Things change slowly at first, but they do change. We've come a heck of a ways in the ten years since 2001, and the momentum is now strongly on our side. Up until 2008, it felt like a slow, grinding struggle. Now things are moving along. We just gotta keep at it. This petition thing is just another example of the same pattern. People are disappointed with politics and apathetic. They gotta see some movement before they're willing to get moving themselves. But there's always somebody right on the edge, and a little push from someone like yourself might start them into motion.

(Beware of burn-out, though. That's where apathy comes from in the first place, when if feels like you're banging your head against a brick wall, you can only go on like that for so long before it turns into self-torture. Shake things up, keep trying new things, try to enjoy the process as much as you can. But keep up a consistent amount of pressure over the long haul, and things will definitely start to shift. Just don't lose yourself in the mean-time.)

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Don't treat what skeptics

Don't treat what skeptics and atheist do as the same as religion. When we speak openly we do not "proseletize"(sp)

Telling the truth isn't "selling" any more than telling the truth that the earth rotates around the sun is "selling". The truth can be proven, and does not need to be sold.

Certainly there is a culture war between people looking to the future and people stuck in a mythological past. But what we have is evidence, what they have is myth. They can only sell their claims.

You have to sell a comic book, you do not have to sell gravity or entropy, those things are independent to person.

Religion starts with a naked assertion then jumps to "justification" and then makes up "evidence" to support their naked assertion.

Scientific method starts with FACTS and then is justified ONLY AFTER thorough testing and thrashing and independent verification.

Theism works backwards.

Make a claim based on nothing, make up your own data and come to your own conclusions.

Scientific method works the right way.

Look at the best current tested data, come up with a model based on prior established method, hand your findings over to independent testers to see if they come to the same conclusions.

Skeptics and scientists DONT SELL anything, they test it and prove it and then SHOW IT.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog