Glad to be here

UncleAl666
UncleAl666's picture
User is offlineOffline
Glad to be here

Hello to all,

I am glad to have found a site that is so well organized, but I only have one small suggestion to make...How about a Comedy Forum. I do so love the Killing Them with Kindness approach, but there are times when the folly of our opposition just needs to be laughed at. Well it's just a thought. I haven't as of yet explored the whole site and I may have been premature in suggesting this, but I have not found a forum dedicated to just humor. I realize the serious nature of our common fight for rational thought, but humor is not just a diversion, it can also be a great weapon, and yes the diversion aspect is nice too because "all work and no play makes Jack a very dull boy".

Uncle Al 666
Corrupter of the Young,
Buyer of Lost Souls,
Purveyor of Moral Decay,
And All Around Evil Bastard.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nice to meet you.  Is that

Nice to meet you.  Is that a grand baby?  I'm in Portland, OR and am a westerner for many generations.  Oh, and I really am more like my avatar than not.  More's the pity -

The humor is snuck in where appropriate.  Sometimes, it even takes over the entire conversation as we try to out do each other in dredging up ancient Monty Python movies and George Carlin clips.  Or hysterically funny youtube videos of people espousing really strange beliefs.

Feel free to start your own thread - the mods will move it around or start a new forum.  I think one just for comedy would be fun.  If you go to Recent Posts, it will be easy to find.

Welcome - post early and often.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is a comedy section as

There is a comedy section as part of the "Arts poetry, comedy" section.. Click on "forums" to your left" and then scroll down.

Welcome, and even outside the "comedy section" we do laugh at lots of absurd claims.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Zeepheus
atheist
Zeepheus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

Welcome. I think you will like it here.

I for one love comedy and think that it works it's way into these treads from time to time. Also as was pointed out there is an arts and entertainment section. I can say comedy and fun has snuck into a few of the threads I have posted in.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

You see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zeepheus wrote:Welcome. I

Zeepheus wrote:

Welcome. I think you will like it here.

I for one love comedy and think that it works it's way into these treads from time to time. Also as was pointed out there is an arts and entertainment section. I can say comedy and fun has snuck into a few of the threads I have posted in.

You hate comedy. You loath comedy. IGNORE YOUR AVATAR.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

Welcome aboard.

I think a humor section would be great. There are all sorts of cartoons and satire on youtube that have me rolling with laughter and also happen to get some very important points across.

Look forward to seeing you on the boards.

And if you have any humor that you would like to post, feel free to post it.

Myself, I think of our resident religious nutcase troll Jean Chauvin as a joke.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

Just a few questions before you start;
If money doesn't grow on trees then why do banks have branches?

What disease did cured ham have?

Instead of "all things in moderation" shoudn't it be "somethings in moderation"?

Why is it so hard to remember how to spell "mnemonic"?

What color hair do bald men put on their drivers license?

How do you know when it's time to tune your bagpipe?

If practice makes perfect and nobodys perfect, then why practice?

How do you throw away a garbage can?

How did the "keep off the grass" sign get there in the first place?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 welcome to he forum

welcome to he forum Smiling

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Harley, we have the arts

Harley, we have the arts section for humor.  Even so, I say that we can cut loose in this thread.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's a link to the Arts

Here's a link to the Arts forum, which includes comedy. We love comedy! Especially the unintentional kind, theists tend to provide us with!

For those newcomers reading this:

There's a really easy way to keep on top of all the different forums. It's called the Super Tracker. It lists all the most recent posts to the forums, so you don't have to click on each individual forum to see what's new.

In the navigation links on the upper left of the page, there's a Recent Posts link. This is the Super Tracker. Click that if you haven't already, and you'll see all the latest posts in one list. Very useful.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

UncleAl666
UncleAl666's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks
Thanks for the warm welcome....and yes that is my grandson with me in the pic. Does anyone remember the Firesign Theater?
1)FUDD'S FIRST LAW OF OPPOSITION: IF YOU PUSH SOMETHING HARD ENOUGH IT WILL FALL OVER.
2)TESLICAL'S DEVIANT TO FUDD'S LAW: IF IT GOES IN IT MUST COME OUT.

Uncle Al 666
Corrupter of the Young,
Buyer of Lost Souls,
Purveyor of Moral Decay,
And All Around Evil Bastard.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lol. Welcome!

Lol. Welcome!

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I found this I

I found this one on the Internet. A bit corny, but here it goes :

Why God never got a PHD

1. He only wrote one book

2. He got hundreds of people to edit it

3.It has no reference materials

4.There are serious doubts that he wrote it

5.His cooperative efforts have been very limited and divided

6.The scientific community has had a hard time verifying his findings

7.When his experiments went wrong, he drowned all his subjects

8.He unlawfully performed animal and human testing on unwilling participants

9.He never came to class, just had his undergraduates tell everyone to read his book

10.He expelled his first two subjects for learning about good and evil

11.Although there were only ten requirements, none of his students could follow them

12. His office hours were very infrequent, were only for a few people and held on a mountaintop

13. When subjects did not behave as he predicted, he just deleted them from the samples.

And that is why he never was able to get a PHD.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
UncleAl666 wrote: Does

UncleAl666 wrote:

Does anyone remember the Firesign Theater?

I do but I am old too.  Do you remember when John Denver did comedy?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Do you remember who invented

Do you remember who invented the jello shot?  It was a Harvard mathematician who worked on the bomb.  Apparently the mirthless guards at Los Alamos had a problem with booze and nuclear weapons.  I have no idea why.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Also, he plagiarized from

Quote:

1. He only wrote one book

2. He got hundreds of people to edit it

3.It has no reference materials

4.There are serious doubts that he wrote it

Also, he plagiarized from the Enuma Elish, and several other doctoral student-gods.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Zeepheus
atheist
Zeepheus's picture
User is offlineOffline
light bulb jokes

OK I just had to post these. Who doesn't like a good light bulb joke.

How many atheists does it take to change a light bulb?
Two. One to actually change the bulb, and the other to videotape the job so fundamentalists won’t claim that god did it.

How many ______ does it take to change a light bulb

Agnostics: None. Agnostics question whether light bulbs really exist.

Zen Buddhists: Two, one to screw it in and one not to screw it in.

Evangelicals: They do not change light bulbs. They simply read out the instructions and hope the light bulb will decide to change itself.

Charismatics: Only one. Hands already in the air.

Pentecostals: Ten. One to change the bulb, and nine to pray against the spirit of darkness.

Presbyterians: None. Lights will go on and off at predestined times.

Roman Catholic: None. Candles only.

Baptists: At least 15. One to change the light bulb, and three committees to approve the change and decide who brings the potato salad.

Episcopalians: Eight. One to call the electrician, and seven to say how much they liked the old one better.

Mormons: Five. One man to change the bulb, and four wives to tell him how to do it.

Unitarians: We choose not to make a statement either in favor of or against the need for a light bulb. However, if in your own journey you have found that light bulbs work for you, that is fine. You are invited to write a poem or compose a modern dance about your personal relationship with your light bulb, and present it next month at our annual light bulb Sunday service, in which we will explore a number of light bulb traditions, including incandescent, fluorescent, three-way, long-life and tinted, all of which are equally valid paths to luminescence.

Methodists: Undetermined. Whether your light is bright, dull, or completely out, you are loved -- you can be a light bulb, turnip bulb, or tulip bulb. Church wide lighting service is planned for Sunday, August 19. Bring bulb of your choice and a covered dish.

Nazarene: Six. One woman to replace the bulb while five men review church lighting policy.

Lutherans: None. Lutherans don't believe in change.             

Fundamentalists: THE BIBLE DOES *NOT* SAY *ANYTHING* ABOUT LIGHT BULBS!!!! 

Amish: What's a light bulb?               

New Agers: Five. One to change it and four to share the experience!

Pagans: Six. One to change it, and five to sit around complaining that light bulbs never burned out before those damned Christians came along.

Wiccans: Four. One for each direction.

Southern Baptists:: One hundred and nine.
Seven on the Light bulb Task Force Sub-committee, who report to the twelve on the Light bulb Task Force, appointed by the fifteen on the Trustee Board. Their recommendation is reviewed by the Finance Executive Committee of five, who place it on the agenda of the eighteen-member Finance Committee. If they approve, they bring a motion to the twenty-seven Member church Board, who appoint another twelve-member review committee. If they recommend that the Church Board proceed, a resolution is brought to the Congregational Business Meeting. They appoint another eight-member review committee. If their report to the next Congregational Business Meeting supports the changing of a light bulb, and the Congregation votes in favor, the responsibility to carry out the light bulb change is passed on to the Trustee Board, who in turn appoint a seven-member committee to find the best price in new light bulbs. Their recommendation of which hardware is the best buy must then be reviewed by the twenty-three-member Ethics Committee to make certain that this hardware store has no connection to Disneyland. They report back to the Trustee Board who then commissions the Trustee in charge of the Janitor to ask him to make the change. By then the janitor discovers that one more light bulb has burned out.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

You see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Science

Science flies rockets to the moon

Religion flies planes into buildings

An Atheist Prayer :

Dear Religious Leaders, please stop raping children, spreading ignorance and preaching hate.

Amen

― Giordano Bruno

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nice to meet you Uncle

Nice to meet you Uncle Al.

Pretty much any thread can become a comedy thread, especially with some of the views presented by some of the extreme believers.

See for example this thread - http://www.rationalresponders.com/kill_em_with_kindness/forum/30130#comment-355286

You can approach it either as serious or comedy, both are fair.

A while back several of us had a god war over the moose versus the Panda -

see - http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/17351?page=1

and  - http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/17476

So you can pretty much create one and have a good time.

Anyway, welcome and have fun.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.