hello all

hatchetswngin
hatchetswngin's picture
User is offlineOffline
hello all

i stumbled onto this site when i was looking for some quotes to post on my facebook wall....i hope to be able  to be involved in discussions with like minded people who think before they jump on the bandwagon...I was brought  up in a southern baptist family that attends church religiously ( i know bad joke). Being that I am from NC i get a full dose of christian propaganda daily , and quite frankly I'm sick of it.

I don't deny anyone the right to practice their religion or belief and I welcome the exchange of ideas and opinions.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!

Welcome!

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
hatchetswngin wrote:i

hatchetswngin wrote:

i stumbled onto this site when i was looking for some quotes to post on my facebook wall....i hope to be able  to be involved in discussions with like minded people who think before they jump on the bandwagon...I was brought  up in a southern baptist family that attends church religiously ( i know bad joke). Being that I am from NC i get a full dose of christian propaganda daily , and quite frankly I'm sick of it.

I don't deny anyone the right to practice their religion or belief and I welcome the exchange of ideas and opinions.

I live on the boarder of NC/SC on the coast. Where are you from?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

hatchetswngin
hatchetswngin's picture
User is offlineOffline
i live in Dallas about 20

i live in Dallas about 20 min west of Charlotte

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
hatchetswngin wrote:i live

hatchetswngin wrote:

i live in Dallas about 20 min west of Charlotte

It's bad enough Texas has a Dallas, now you are telling me NC has a Dallas too?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

hatchetswngin
hatchetswngin's picture
User is offlineOffline
yes it does ....and if we

yes it does ....and if we have the largest flea market in gaston county (now thats something to brag about)

its a quiet little town with a population under 4000, i dont mind living here because crime and annoyance is a non-issue ....except for the fact that the community is 85%  elderly , it makes for a weird mix......just last week they had state senators here discussing banning of same sex unions that turned into a outright mob scene  put on by our mayor and city council in a church . Yeah , I expected that to go well ...the far right leanings and religious views of the elderly and misinformed redneck community couldnt accept the fact that ppl have differing opinions in this matter  as well as others ....at this point Sen Forrester decided to bash Asheville and call it a cesspool of sin (because that is a valid argument when you are discussing Gaston County considering were not even in the same voting area).....and somehow if your opinion differed from his there was no valid counter point it was all well god said and the bible sez ....the part that fired me up was the fact that this was sponsored by our mayor and city council and even in a community of 4000 separation of church and state is still a valid issue...needless to say these parties will not get my vote next november.....to clarify i , personally, am not homosexual but understand that as Americans we all have the same rights ....and i will stand up and defend my fellow citizens right tto the bitter end ....even Sen Forrester ....omg(tongue in cheek) u got me in a rant already sorry bout that ....anywhoo ....i love dallas it is really a quiet place with great ppl as long as u dont attend their church ...lol

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

Welcome to the forum. Judging by your introduction, I think your really going to enjoy it here. I happen to live smack dab in the middle of the bible belt, where the incessant christian propaganda is everywhere (even though I happen to have been born and raised in New Jersey).

However, I am an out in the open Atheist and have a lot of fun with some of these people. Thanks to a whole wellspring of books by Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins and all the good people on this site.

There is a wellspring of information here and alot of very intelligent people.

Look forward to seeing you on the boards.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do you have a full size ver

Do you have a full size ver of your avatar? It looks cool.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello

Welcome to the forums.  Post often.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi there,I once lived in

Hi there,

I once lived in small towns.  I prefer the anonymity of the largish city.  I'm in Portland OR and have no intention of moving.  I've always lived on the west coast.  I've had people try to tell me the east coast was better, but I just can't see it. 

Welcome, post early and often.

Edit: to clarify my meaning.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Zeepheus
atheist
Zeepheus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

Welcome

I think you will find plenty of conversation here and alot of people from small town religious backgrounds. I for one grew up in a little town with less than 2000 people not quite in the bible belt but close enough that religion was always a topic of conversation. Glad to be away from that little place.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

You see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

joe_2007
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

Welcome, hatchetswngin!

I hope we can have some good conversations.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Hi there,I once

cj wrote:

Hi there,

I once lived in small towns.  I prefer the anonymity of the largish city.  I'm in Portland OR and have no intention of moving.  I've always lived on the west coast.  I've had people try to tell me the east coast was better, but I just can't see it. 

EAST SIDE!!!!!!!!! 

WEST SIDE!!!!!!!!!!! 

hehe, 

@OP welcome to the forum, it doesn't suck here and it sounds as though you would fit right in.  Ontario Canada here.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:It's bad

Brian37 wrote:

What's that supposed to mean?

Penn has a Dallas as well, btw.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote:Brian37

Watcher wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

What's that supposed to mean?

Penn has a Dallas as well, btw.

So does Oregon.  Though I can't think of why anyone would give a rat's patootie.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:So does Oregon. 

cj wrote:

So does Oregon.  Though I can't think of why anyone would give a rat's patootie.

I assume that he says it because he thinks all of Texas is a theist motherland.  I'm expecting him to start griping about Texas like every one of us are idiotic fundamentalists.

I'll admit that a larger portion of the population of Texas is conservative and religious compared to most states.   But to attack my home state, which I am a fifth generation of, and which my ancestors were in back when it was still part of Mexico (they were of european descent and squatters in essence), and which there are a LOT of atheists in, is throwing the baby out with the bathwater in my opinion.

There's a lot of atheists here in Texas.  And we're on your side.  Don't alienate us, my friends.

Don't condemn us because we have it worse than some other states with the religious opinions of our neighbors.  Something like, what was it, like 88% of Americans claim to be Christian?

Texas has less than 10% of the American population in it.  Seems like a few theists live elsewhere in this country.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:cj wrote:Hi

Ktulu wrote:

cj wrote:

Hi there,

EAST SIDE!!!!!!!!! 

WEST SIDE!!!!!!!!!!! 

hehe, 

@OP welcome to the forum, it doesn't suck here and it sounds as though you would fit right in.  Ontario Canada here.

That was awesome!

"It's glandular." Lol

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
hatchetswngin wrote:yes it

hatchetswngin wrote:

yes it does ....and if we have the largest flea market in gaston county (now thats something to brag about)

its a quiet little town with a population under 4000, i dont mind living here because crime and annoyance is a non-issue ....except for the fact that the community is 85%  elderly , it makes for a weird mix......just last week they had state senators here discussing banning of same sex unions that turned into a outright mob scene  put on by our mayor and city council in a church . Yeah , I expected that to go well ...the far right leanings and religious views of the elderly and misinformed redneck community couldnt accept the fact that ppl have differing opinions in this matter  as well as others ....at this point Sen Forrester decided to bash Asheville and call it a cesspool of sin (because that is a valid argument when you are discussing Gaston County considering were not even in the same voting area).....and somehow if your opinion differed from his there was no valid counter point it was all well god said and the bible sez ....the part that fired me up was the fact that this was sponsored by our mayor and city council and even in a community of 4000 separation of church and state is still a valid issue...needless to say these parties will not get my vote next november.....to clarify i , personally, am not homosexual but understand that as Americans we all have the same rights ....and i will stand up and defend my fellow citizens right tto the bitter end ....even Sen Forrester ....omg(tongue in cheek) u got me in a rant already sorry bout that ....anywhoo ....i love dallas it is really a quiet place with great ppl as long as u dont attend their church ...lol

Welcome. 

Rant away. 

I heartily agree. God & Country. I deal with that all the time in my area of rural Virginia. My parents were/are big into G&C (like JC). And when I was young in the 60's it was race separation. There was a white SDA church and a black SDA church in town and the two were not to mix. (you know Jesus is white, right, and also straight even though he didn't have an orgasim, not even a wet dream). By the early 70's  an uncomfortable tolerance allowed some black people into the white church (damn hippies!). Shortly thereafter we got a more liberal minister  and a big controversy happened when he recommend a black man to become an elder. Some people left over this. He was voted in but the church was split and angry all the time after that. (then there was interracial marriage - holy crap)

Fundamental churches are quite intolerant of different viewpoints because "belief" is all they got. You cannot get to heaven by good works, you get there by believing the "correct" thing. Right thought equals salvation. And amazingly it matches their preconceived notions.  Anything different is rejected. 

The gays rights movement is this generations issue. The churches hostility is out and active and sadly strong in the black community.

God doesn't change is their motto. But we can see from history, the religious come screaming and kicking into the modern world. When you point that out and say look you guys used to believe this and now you don't they go "oh, well, those weren't true christians. true christians have always believe the right thing". Meh.

Peter Gabriels song 'Not One Of Us'

It's only water

In a stranger's tear

Looks are deceptive

But distinctions are clear

A foreign body

And a foreign mind

Never welcome

In the land of the blind

You may look like we do

Talk like we do

But you know how it is

You're not one of us

Not one of us

No you're not one of us

Not one of us

Not one of us

No you're not one of us

There's safety in numbers

When you learn to divide

How can we be in

If there is no outside

All shades of opinion

Feed an open mind

But your values are twisted

Let us help you unwind

You may look like we do

Talk like we do

-But you know how it is

You're not one of us

Not one of us

No you're not one of us 

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

hatchetswngin
hatchetswngin's picture
User is offlineOffline
check out this article in

check out this article in the local newspaper about the "vote the bible crowd"

http://www.gastongazette.com/news/group-60897-meeting-week.html?plckFindCommentKey=CommentKey:0d88ac19-a704-432a-b904-7d041973e249

i am also hatchetswngin on there ...i "borrowed " a bit of the are u agnostic or atheist text