I talked with Eric Hovind...

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline

I have the transcript of 2 discussions I had with Eric Hovind. I figure you'd be interested. They are LONG so I'm linking, but we discussedfaith and reason here, (primarily him and another person but I got involved at one point) and morality here.

I'm sort of disappointed he didn't reply to my comments about his dad being in jail...ah well

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Nerdista PWNED Eric

Nerdista PWNED Eric Hovind

I kept saying "oh snap" and she was so cool headed. Eric didn't know what to do but repeat his little mantras.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
 and now I have read your

and now I have read your conversation with Eric Hovind. Gee, he never listens to a word you or Nerdista are saying. He only repeats himself. You could say just about anything to him.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
BenfromCanada wrote: I

BenfromCanada wrote:

Does the apple fall far from the tree?...lol

So, he tried to get someone to fall in the rabbit hole of navel gazing semantics?

These linguistic tricks are not only tiresome, but indicitive of intellectual dishonesty.

One meaning of truth is whether a statement is in accord with reality. An A/B dichotomy.

Truth can also be a method of subjectively or objectively evaluating things relative to other things, whereby the 'truth' is contingent.

The claim of gods existing is an A/B dichotomy.

The claim that this claimed monogod is the 'greatest conceivable being' is not only patently stupid, but a non sequitur.

WTF does that mean anyways? That he doesn't have acne? That he doesn't forget things?

He's certainly got rage issues...

Any one of us could imagine a skydaddy that was 'greater' than the Abrahamic god.

The claim of a monogod actually has 3 basic claims in 1.

It claims there is a god, but not more than 1.

And it claims that it created us as an amalgam of both natural and supernatural constituents.

These claims have never been proven, and are not sufficient to surmount evidence and scientific tests that lead in the opposite direction.

They are merely posturing, claiming to know things they cannot prove.

That's delusional.

Period.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Read the one about God,

I read the one about God, science, and 'truth'...

This thing about "absolute" truths - such a common theme with these guys. As though without certainty, everything is as likely to be false as true, no conception of the serious application of probability theory, how to manage real world observations and degrees of confidence in any observed data.

And then the category errors, not seeing the distinction between statements of logic and principles of reasoning from statements about what things actually exist, what events actually happened.

No subtlety of thinking at all.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
ex: Yeah, she definitely

ex: Yeah, she definitely made me a fan, eh? Though it isn't all that difficult to beat down that intellectual giant.

Red: Nope, the apple doesn't fall far at all. I recognized (and predicted) some arguments he'd throw at me, since they're old Kent Hovind tricks. You're totally right on all points there.

Bob: Absolutely true. If they had subtlety of thought, they wouldn't be creationists.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thankfully, children of such

Thankfully, children of such people don't always model themselves after their parents - Nathan Phelps, son of Fred Phelps of the infamous fanatically homophobic Westboro Baptist Church has firmly rejected him, and is an atheist.

http://www.kmov.com/news/local/Estranged-Son-of-Westboro-Baptist-117938889.html

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

ex-minister
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Bob,There is hope then.

Bob,

There is hope then. Good for Nathan. His sister, the spokesperson for this wacked out church, says there was no violence in the home. Keep hiding the truth. As they say "you are only as sick as your secrets" and this Phelps family must have a big ole stinking pile of secrets. The old fucker will die soon I expect, hopefully he will live past October to yet lie again about the rapture.  It is amazing anyone believes him, but it shows how it is such a strong delusion. Maybe after he dies some of his other kids will wake up and write a tell all book.

Religion Kills !!!

Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
Recovering fundamentalist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why are you honoring the

Why are you honoring the cultists with a debate? First and foremost, these guys KNOW that they're liars - they're just SALESPEOPLE giving a sales pitch in order to recruit people to their organization - I work in sales, and their tactics are identical to those used by sales professionals - everything they say is pulled right out of a playbook.

They don't care about "facts", they rely on SALES SKILLS in order to get their message across - has anyone here ever stayed up late and watch TV infomercials for junk products? Do you think that the pitchmen selling "Free Money" by Kevin Trudeau or Ronco Six Star Plus Knives really believe their product is what they say it is? Hell no, their goal is to make money - if anyone is naive enough to believe that these guys are just "misinformed" and need to be educated, then you're WRONG - they're just going off a script.

The real issue here is since these guys are NOT interested in serious debate, so when we 'debate' them we're actually putting them up on a pedestal and treating them like they're some kind of equal in the debating field, and that's exactly what they want. It would be like inviting a high school football team to play against the Dallas Cowboys in the Super Bowl.

Optimism is reality, pessimism is the fantasy that you know enough to be cynical

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline

Recovering fundamentalist wrote:

Why are you honoring the cultists with a debate? First and foremost, these guys KNOW that they're liars - they're just SALESPEOPLE giving a sales pitch in order to recruit people to their organization - I work in sales, and their tactics are identical to those used by sales professionals - everything they say is pulled right out of a playbook.

They don't care about "facts", they rely on SALES SKILLS in order to get their message across - has anyone here ever stayed up late and watch TV infomercials for junk products? Do you think that the pitchmen selling "Free Money" by Kevin Trudeau or Ronco Six Star Plus Knives really believe their product is what they say it is? Hell no, their goal is to make money - if anyone is naive enough to believe that these guys are just "misinformed" and need to be educated, then you're WRONG - they're just going off a script.

The real issue here is since these guys are NOT interested in serious debate, so when we 'debate' them we're actually putting them up on a pedestal and treating them like they're some kind of equal in the debating field, and that's exactly what they want. It would be like inviting a high school football team to play against the Dallas Cowboys in the Super Bowl.

The Hovinds are definitely hucksters.  I remember how annoying it was watching Kent Hovind debating Michael Shermer and Dr. Rainbow, and this other time when he debated three scientists at once -- pure hucksterism.  It's like a less sophisticated version of how misleading William Lane Craig is.  *shudders*