Ships Ahoy!!

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ships Ahoy!!

Hey....I was just wondering...

WTF? Was Noah's boat the only one that anyone saved themselves on?

Did all the other boats stop floating or something?...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The boat noah had, had a

The boat noah had, had a mechanism to prevent methane bubbles from lowering its floatability (I just got up and can't remember the actual term atm, so stfu! lol), so when god farted everything sank except noah.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
well...............

................it makes about has much sense has anything else in the bible;  which is zero to none.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Noah's myth is stolen from

Noah's myth is stolen from the Sumerian Ziusudra who built a boat per the god Enki's warning.

See - http://www.piney.com/EriduGen.html

The old Babylonian version called him Utanapishtim. He is mentioned in the Epic of Gilgamesh.

See - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilgamesh_flood_myth

And - http://www.piney-2.com/Gilgamesh.html

As both of these stories predate the account in Genesis it's clear the Bible version is a retelling to make a hero for the Jews/Hebrews.

Also, unlike the Bible version, we have clay tablets dating to the 3rd millenium and earlier. In the case of the fairy tale from Genesis, the oldest physical copies date to the DSS or mid 2nd century BCE.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Hey....I was

redneF wrote:

Hey....I was just wondering...

WTF? Was Noah's boat the only one that anyone saved themselves on?

Did all the other boats stop floating or something?...

Interesting point. Something good to throw at annoying Christians 

They make up stuff all the time. One guy told me he thinks god put all the animals to sleep on their essentially year voyage so Noah didn't have to come up with food and clean up shit. Lots of extra-biblical stuff coming from many literalist. It helps them practice making a square peg fit in a round hole.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/