2012 GOP Hopefuls Tangle Over Who Built the Pyramids

stitches_bbk
stitches_bbk's picture
User is offlineOffline
2012 GOP Hopefuls Tangle Over Who Built the Pyramids

Des Moines, Iowa — Last week on the campaign trail GOP front runner Rick Perry was asked his position on ‘Ancient Astronaut theory’ — the theory that the pyramids in Egypt are so complex that they could only have been built by aliens.   His answer created an archeological rift within the Republican Presidential field.

“The idea that Ancient Egyptians built the pyramids is a theory that is out there and has some gaps in it.”  He added “In Texas we teach both sides of the debate.  We teach both Egyptian Pyramid theory and Ancient Astronaut theory; we think you are smart enough to figure out which one is right.”

Tea Party favorite Michelle Bachmann, an Ancient Astronaut proponent for years, had even more to say on the matter.

"What I support is putting all science on the table and then letting students decide. I don't think it's a good idea for government to come down on one side of a scientific issue or another, when there is reasonable doubt on both sides."

Perry’s comment prompted a Twitter response from former Utah Governor Jon Huntsman.

“To be clear.  I believe that Egyptians built the pyramids and trust NASA on the Moon Landing.  Call me crazy.”

Huntsman, in an interview with ABC News’ Jake Tapper expressed concern with the Republican Party’s endorsement of Ancient Astronaut theory.

"I think there's a serious problem. The minute that the Republican Party becomes the anti-Egyptian party, we have a huge problem. We lose a whole lot of people who would otherwise allow us to win the election in 2012."

Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney offered a more nuanced view.  

“I believe that the Egyptians built the pyramids, but I also believe that aliens helped them along the way.”  Romney’s mercurial view on the subject has caused a backlash amongst the anti-Egyptian wing of the Republican Party.  In a furious afternoon radio broadcast Ancient Astronaut theorist and 2008 Romney supporter Rush Limbaugh has already pronounced Mitt Romney’s candidacy ‘dead.’

Former Alaskan Governor Sarah Palin offered an entirely different view on the matter.

“I believe that Paul Revere built the pyramids as a way to warn future Americans that a Kenyan-born President is going to try to take our guns away.”  

Palin is now demanding that her ‘Paul Revere Pyramid theory’ be taught alongside Egyptian Pyramid theory and Ancient Astronaut theory.  

“You know, don’t be afraid of information…Healthy debate is so important and it’s so valuable in our schools.”

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Please tell me this is

Please tell me this is satirical.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

stitches_bbk
stitches_bbk's picture
User is offlineOffline
it's satirical, but not that

it's satirical, but not that far off from the truth.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

And the politician not subject to such satire is whom exactly?

My democrat governor wasted no time in declaring that someone who died in a house fire was clearly caused by hurricane Irene. That is state wide. My local newspaper manages an average of ten obituaries a day.

I smell “willing to spend cash not yet printed” at work on this one.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
The sad part is that until

The sad part is that until half way through it, it was difficult to determine if it was satirical.  Funny anyways, thought I think you are overestimating Sara Palin's imagination. 

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
OP:Where the hell have you

OP:Where the hell have you been?