No more cold, flu, ebola, hiv, etc. Virus' are on the way out.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
No more cold, flu, ebola, hiv, etc. Virus' are on the way out.

ScienceDaily (Aug. 26, 2011)— Most bacterial infections can be treated with antibiotics such as penicillin, discovered decades ago. However, such drugs are useless against viral infections, including influenza, the common cold, and deadly hemorrhagic fevers such as Ebola.
Now, in a development that could transform how viral infections are treated, a team of researchers at MIT's Lincoln Laboratory has designed a drug that can identify cells that have been infected by any type of virus, then kill those cells to terminate the infection.
Full Article Here: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/08/110826134012.htm

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

I really hope so. We have been told this before though. Genetic engineering in the 80's. The human genome in the 90's. Stem cells in the past decade. What we seem to end up with are some fairly cool stuff but only mild progress.

Another concern is the effect this could have on human population. That has more than doubled since I was a kid and there is really something hugely fucked up with that. US population has increased by about 75% since the Reagan administration. Less people on the planet could really fix some of the biggest problems we have.

Fewer people in North America and Europe would mean less demand on the very industries which are polluting the crap out of us despite decades of work to reduce sources of pollution. Fewer people in the developing world would make it far easier for them to produce needed food locally. Fewer people in South America would mean less incentive to bulldoze the rain forest.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
So the only hope for the

So the only hope for the human race is to develop a virus that attacks brains with an IQ below 100.  That takes care of 50% of the world's population and 90% of the Bible belt. /joke

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not too worried about

I'm not too worried about overpopulation. Nature has checks and balances. War and famine will sort it out. Theres going to be plenty of both in coming years.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.