I'm not really new here...

Peppermint42
atheistSuperfan
Peppermint42's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not really new here...

I just thought I'd officially say 'hello' since I find myself logging in regularly again.  

I've been stuck at home for the last few months since I got knocked on my ass with morning sickness.  The plan originally was that I was going to continue working where I was until I got hired at Wal-Mart for a larger paycheck, but when I got so bad I couldn't stand up for five minutes at a time they went ahead and let me go and then I never heard from WM.  I was depressed for a while during and after that ordeal (seriously, I'm not good enough for Wal-Mart????) and while I did fill out other applications and turn in a few resumes, time was quickly running out before I could convincingly tell a potential employer that I "just" found out I was pregnant.  

So now my job is to vacuum the apartment occasionally.  I do housework, I sew, I fold laundry.  I did those things before, too, but now it's a bit less satisfying.  I hate that my boyfriend has to pay for everything even though he tells me he doesn't mind.  We tried getting on food stamps, but apparently we were too honest on our application because everyone he works with was able to get them no problem.  I have student loans that I can't pay and I can't bring myself to ask him to pay for me, so they're just backing up.  Meanwhile I sit and kill time.  The only people I talk to besides Steven are stupid teenagers trying to hit on me while I walk my dog.  

On a positive note, I finally managed to quit smoking.  I was worried for a while because every time I'd go a few days without and then have another break down and the only thing to calm me down was that sweet, smoky goodness.  But since I haven't had to deal with the general public at all my anxiety levels have gone down almost enough for me to have faith in humanity again.  :P

So that's what's up, in a nutshell.  I know you were all just dying to hear it.  Also, if there's anyone who can help me change my username, I would sooooo appreciate it because 'Gallowsbait' was a name I used when I played World of Warcraft and I'm kind of embarrassed by it now.  I prefer 'Peppermint42' because I like peppermints and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  Aaaaand...  that's it.  Thanks for reading!  <3

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Congrats on the bub

Sure you'll re-energise. It will all work out - I remember when I first got married - I had lost my job during a downturn we had here after the stock market crash in '87 (chuckle) and wound up working as a doorman/security officer. Used to walk 30 kays a night checking doors. I thought it would never change but it did. Young and starting out is bloody hard - that's just a fact of life. You'll be fine. Look after the family for the time being and wait and see. And don't value yourself on the basis of employment if you can possibly help if. 

As for your tag, I think the mods have to adjust that - I just checked My Account and Edit and there was not the option to rename onself. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good Luck Peppermint42

Good luck Peppermint42 !

I would just send the administrators an email, like Atheist Extremist said and I am sure they will be able to take care of it.

I know what you mean about being stuck at home. I had a motorcycle injury a few months back and can not go to work. I currently hobble around the house on crutches all day long, watching tv, surfing the web and popping a few pain pills. I have to continually look out the window at a bike that I can not ride and in general stay bored.

Like you said about your significant other, my girlfriend says that she does not mind picking up some of the slack while this goes on, but it does mess with my self-esteem to not be working, wrenching on the bike and riding right now.

Oh well, all of that negativity nonsense is just an illusion that we tell ourselves.

I remind myself every day, the situation will not stay the same forever. Nothing ever does. Things will get better. Hang in there.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Well, hello there.

I added an atheist tag to your account because that makes it easier for us to exchange PMs so that we can go into changing your user name. I can do it but I want to check with the forum owner before I go there.

Also, your new user name is one that I have seen on another forum, also with an attractive young woman for an avatar. By any chance, are you associated with overclockers.com or ocforums.com?

Past that, I really feel bad that you lost your job. I am in a similar situation. I got downsized after 25 years at the same company and I just don't have any paperwork to support the kind of jobs that I can do.

Depression has set in and I need to dig out of that hole. Which I will because I have to. For benefits, I found out that the continuing health insurance would cost $475/month. That plus my rent would be more than I have coming in. So even though I am not a fan of Obama care, it is going to be my new best friend in a few weeks.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Peppermint42
atheistSuperfan
Peppermint42's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Thanks so much for the

Thanks so much for the support!  I wish you guys weren't under such similar circumstances, but it does make me feel better knowing I'm not alone.  I've really been having to practice at looking on the bright side of things and in some ways I think it's helping me grow as a person.  Still, I wish I could do more.

@Answers in Gene Simmons:  I don't belong to any other forums...  well okay that's a lie.  Technically I have an account with Cracked.com but I haven't logged in there in AGES, and I'm pretty sure my username on it is also 'gallowsbait'.  I guess Peppermint42 would be a slightly more generic name...  but I still like it better.  Smiling  Anyway I'll be online for a while, should I PM you or should I check my messages in a bit?

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
It ain't easy.I applied for

It ain't easy.

I applied for customer service rep - after making way nice money, it was going to be $10 an hour.  And their test said - "recommend not to hire".  So just how do you pass those things?  Do you share the donuts or not?  I was really, really bummed for the rest of the day.

Ah, well.  I did a phone interview with Moonstruck Chocolates.  Hand made chocolates manufactured locally.  I've had some once - wow.  To both the price and the flavor.  But they decided to do further interviews with other people. 

I agree - sometimes it seems that less than truthful people get the jobs. 

So I am doing other things.  Going back to school, racking up student loans I see no way of repaying.  Applying for student help jobs and internships.  Trying to sound positive and upbeat.  Doing the housework and yard work, what I can.  Filling out more forms - and more forms. 

Family assistance varies from state to state.  Once the baby arrives, you usually are eligible more assistance - food stamps, maybe even a little money for the baby, maybe some help with child care and/or work.  Hang in there - at least you aren't having an elephant.  (Elephants are pregnant for 2 whole years.)

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Peppermint42
atheistSuperfan
Peppermint42's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:It ain't easy.I

cj wrote:

It ain't easy.

I applied for customer service rep - after making way nice money, it was going to be $10 an hour.  And their test said - "recommend not to hire".  So just how do you pass those things?  Do you share the donuts or not?  I was really, really bummed for the rest of the day.

Ah, well.  I did a phone interview with Moonstruck Chocolates.  Hand made chocolates manufactured locally.  I've had some once - wow.  To both the price and the flavor.  But they decided to do further interviews with other people. 

I agree - sometimes it seems that less than truthful people get the jobs. 

So I am doing other things.  Going back to school, racking up student loans I see no way of repaying.  Applying for student help jobs and internships.  Trying to sound positive and upbeat.  Doing the housework and yard work, what I can.  Filling out more forms - and more forms. 

Family assistance varies from state to state.  Once the baby arrives, you usually are eligible more assistance - food stamps, maybe even a little money for the baby, maybe some help with child care and/or work.  Hang in there - at least you aren't having an elephant.  (Elephants are pregnant for 2 whole years.)

O_O  TWO YEARS!!!  I can't imagine.  I thought nine months was bad.....  *shudders*

And yeah, what is up with those "tests"???  If you answer the questions honestly and logically, they don't want you there because....  ???  ...because you can think for yourself how to resolve an issue?  Because you don't want to kiss the company's ass?  I seriously try to answer those things the way I imagine they'd want a prospective employee to answer but obviously the ability to think is not what they look for.  I have no idea how to pass those things.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gallowsbait wrote:And yeah,

Gallowsbait wrote:

And yeah, what is up with those "tests"???  If you answer the questions honestly and logically, they don't want you there because....  ???  ...because you can think for yourself how to resolve an issue?  Because you don't want to kiss the company's ass?  I seriously try to answer those things the way I imagine they'd want a prospective employee to answer but obviously the ability to think is not what they look for.  I have no idea how to pass those things.

Years ago, my husband took some of those tests, thinking he could work for one of the hardware stores or the local chain grocery store.  All of them asked "have you ever taken or known any one who has taken illegal drugs?"  And he answered yes.  Of course he did - though he hasn't smoked in over 30 years.  And we have a friend who takes medical marijuana.  And other friends who take controlled substances for extreme medical conditions.  Shoot, his dad was taking something for diabetes that was on the FDA controlled substance list.  And if you are in the hospital and really in pain, you may get morphine.  (Sorry, no morphine for childbirth.) 

And he asked the HR person what is with that question.  She said, all of our employees are drug free.  And he said, no, all of your employees lie really well.  And then he explained.  And she looked really thoughtful.  But he didn't get hired.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome back Peppermint42. 

Welcome back Peppermint42.  I remember you.

I understand your frustration too. I was a design engineering manager and became self employed about 20 years ago owning tanning salons. My last one closed in 2007 as the landlord leveled the property to rebuild it. Subsquently he couldn't get a loan and it's now a vacant lot. I had to pursue other things. As I was self employed I was not eligible for unemployment. I have received no help at all from any agency at all. I tried all the job boards and only could get commission based sales jobs. Walmart wouldn't hire me even with 20 years of owning retail stores and 15 years as an engineer and manager. I guess they thought I wouldn't make enough to stay or something. I forget how many hundreds of apps I filled out.  I did a few sales jobs for a while. I then decided to just be self employed again, which is what I do most of the year. I'm a manufacturing rep and only make commission if I sell, which is rare these days but at least I get all of the tax benefits.  During tax season I do taxes as I also have a MBA in finance and accounting.

There are ways you can make money even from home, try Ebay, I make about $500 a month from that by buying stuff at garage sales and selling it for more. You can always sell off stuff you don't need, it's amazing the junk people will buy on Ebay.

Good for you on quiting smoking, I wish I had a long time ago, especially at today's prices.

When I 1st got out of college my ex-wife got a job and I didn't for over 6 months. We had a 2 year old which meant I was the house husband doing what you are today. There was no Internet then so even applying for jobs was a pain, type each letter to the employers and mail them. Anyway, eventually it all worked out, so just keep trying and don't feel bad about the bf supporting you while you are home expecting.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gallowsbait wrote:The only

Gallowsbait wrote:
The only people I talk to besides Steven are stupid teenagers trying to hit on me while I walk my dog.

Who wouldn't...

Besides the occasional mindless flirt, who wouldn't make up a few stories about almost making it to third base with that ginger woman down the street?

Quote:
until I got hired at Wal-Mart for a larger paycheck

Walmart gives the bigger income? Well I guess that's true if yer a waiter. I read and hear lots of things about Walmart, none of them being "pro-labor".

...yes, it's true about elephant mothers being pregnant for 2 years.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Welcome back! I agree

Welcome back!

I agree with AE, don't put too much stock in having trouble getting a job, especially at a large corporation. Based on your comments around the forum so far, it doesn't sound like you are the type of person who would be thrilled to work a 9-5 job anyway. Yeah, customer service really sucks (my CS career lasted one month before I decided Ramen was pretty tasty after all) but I doubt Walmart is much better. 

I suggest that as long as you have an enforced retirement and a boyfriend who is willing to cover the bills for a time, spend some serious time thinking and brainstorming about what you would love to do. True financial success almost always comes to people who are doing what they are really passionate about. Come up with a few crazy ideas, write them down and see if you can figure out a way to make money out of them. Figure out whether you want to be an employee, a manager, business owner or an investor. And remember, if people aren't saying "that is so unrealistic" then your not dreaming big enough. 

Most people end up falling into whatever jobs out of necessity of circumstance, since you are unlikely to be working in the near future anyway, plan out a dream. When you are ready to go back to work, you will have a definite direction in your mind and the person who goes out knowing exactly what they want will find success more often than the person who has the mindset of "I'll do anything, just give me money".

Pick an industry and learn it. The resources on the internet make it possible for you to be substantially informed on any industry and get to know people who work in it. That will help you whether you decide to start a business on your own or go get a job. Seriously, if some job candidate with no experience came in for an interview and could speak authoritatively on the details of the industry with passion, they aren't walking out the door without signing a contract. It is amazing how many job interviewees have no knowledge of the position they are applying for and can't answer the question "Where do you see yourself in 5 years" in anything other than vague ideas of having more money. When the interviewer ask "do you have any questions?" you should be able to hold a lengthy and detailed discussion about the companies position in the industry.     

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
@OP, hang in there it's all

@OP, hang in there it's all a matter of perspective, you seem young and it will definitely bounce back if you have the right attitude.  If your attitude stinks however... 

Good post Beyond, I'm also seriously considering a different carrier at the moment.  I have been in IT my whole working life in some form or other, and I've had just about enough of it, it has lost it's thrills a while back, and now it feels like a job.  

I guess I shouldn't complain, I do have a job, but I feel like I could do so much more, I'm taking some Project Management courses online now, to prep for PMP certification, and I also am still working on some IT schooling but I find it less and less interesting. I hear good things about PMP.  I have been working for the same company for about 10 years now in about 4 positions, and I really do enjoy the industry (telecom), just want to have more control over the processes.  

Does anyone have any thoughts on Project Management as a career?

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Peppermint42
atheistSuperfan
Peppermint42's picture
User is offlineOffline
@cj: My last boss told me

@cj: My last boss told me before she hired me that she didn't care what her employees did in their personal time, as long as it didn't affect their work or their ability to get to work.  I found that refreshing because most places, I guess, really do believe that half the people they hire don't just get clean to pass the drug test.  *shrugs*

@pauljohn:  I've never really considered Ebay as an option...  I don't personally have anything worth selling but the garage sale idea is brilliant.  I'll look into that, thanks!

@kapkao: Yes, Wal-Mart actually has pretty decent wages for entry-level jobs, especially if you're willing to work overnight.  Also: benefits.  I've never had a job that offered benefits before.  It's not my ideal situation; I'd prefer to get a job as, say, a secretary or administrative assistant or even a shift manager since I do have some experience in that area, but this is a small, crowded, black hole of a town I live in and opportunities besides fast food and retail are scarce.  

@beyond:  That is really inspiring advice.  Actually, I have been developing some ideas for the future, like learning how to sew better and starting my own little personalized clothing store, and maybe even holding classes to teach other people how to alter or re-invent their old clothes and things.  I've also discovered that I really like the idea of being a homemaker.  I'm just afraid if I don't have something else I won't be prepared to support myself and a baby alone if I had to...  but that's a whole other neurosis of mine.  :P  

So today I got a text from my mom saying she has a "business proposition" for me...  don't have any idea what she means by that but I hope it works out better than last year when she hired me to be her housekeeper/nanny and then after several months couldn't afford to keep me.  :P  I can't blame her, though.  She's the director for our city's Habitat for Humanity project and they have a tendency to go long periods of time without paying her or even telling her she's doing a great job (which she is).  From what I understand, though, things are going more smoothly for now.  I'm looking forward to maybe having a little bit of income and getting to be somewhere other than my living room once in a while.  :D  

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline

OK, I heard back from the owner and he said yes to the request.

Your email and password are the same but the new name should be done across even your older posts. If you have any problems, well, you might have to jump through a couple of hoops to get it fixed but I think that will not be needed.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

OK, I heard back from the owner and he said yes to the request.

Your email and password are the same but the new name should be done across even your older posts. If you have any problems, well, you might have to jump through a couple of hoops to get it fixed but I think that will not be needed.

Yay MYsql.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi, welcome back.

Hi, welcome back.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Irrespective of ideological view . . .

2011   Irrespective of ideological view . . .

To date, I have never seen a better or more impressive administrator  in all of my days than Sapient.  I can cite no better administrator on the net. I am being completely serious. Normally, Admin are notorious for being overwhelmingly abusive in one way or form, very common. He brings a vital new way things should be handled.  I have known of no other board that has a admin as fair or progressive as Brian Sapient Co-Founder Rational Response Squad has clearly show himself to be nor represented by  an  abuse of power.  I can think of no higher honor or praise I could ever give to ANY Admin. He is a powerful example of what ALL Admin should be. That said,  Enjoy!