"The Help" movie, just saw it today.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
"The Help" movie, just saw it today.

I think from a directors standpoint it tried too much to be both a drama and a comedy. But it still kept me glued to my seat.

My favorite piece from the civil rights movement as far as a movie was Malcolm X.

Believe me a movie worth seeing and there were many moments when I cried and cheered.

Spoiler alert, if you are a bigoted racist don't eat pie.

I DO RECOMMEND THIS MOVIE

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
May we have a link?  Or

May we have a link?  Or should I just assume that you are talking about the 40 year old Beatles movie?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK, I have never done a

OK, I have never done a really long video embed before but in this case, I make an exception:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
AiGS

We were all so young then.  It was a long time ago in a galaxy far away.  Thanks.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
The movie is called "The

The movie is called "The Help", not the Beatles movie. This is a new release in theaters now in the states. It is about a book written back then by a journalist about black house maids and the racism and bigotry they put up with back then.

I am sure you can google the title of the movie and come up with reviews and descriptions.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Saw it last night. Confirm

Saw it last night. Confirm it's a good movie. Some parts are a bit formulaic, but overall quite original, and some great characters breaking the Hollywood mold. Good for a reminder of how shitty things were with institutionalized racism in the US only a few decades ago, but it's also got a big dose of humour in there too, so don't be daunted by that.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like the scene where the

I like the scene where the one lady goes back to pretend to beg for her job back and gives the boss a pie. "This is so good".

nude0007
atheist
nude0007's picture
User is offlineOffline
2 slice Hilly

I live 120 miles south of Jackson.  I thought this movie was GREAT!  Hit all the right buttons.  Oscar winning performances, very good story.  Three cheers to the author and director.  I cried at the injustices, and the bravery of the women, laughed at the humor, and was so happy this kind of thing has passed.  Ain't saying prejudice is completely gone, but it is definitely a very small percent.  Ignorance and religion still foster it  in a few places.  But anyway, YOU GOTTA SEE THIS MOVIE!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
nude0007 wrote: I live 120

nude0007 wrote:

I live 120 miles south of Jackson.  I thought this movie was GREAT!  Hit all the right buttons.  Oscar winning performances, very good story.  Three cheers to the author and director.  I cried at the injustices, and the bravery of the women, laughed at the humor, and was so happy this kind of thing has passed.  Ain't saying prejudice is completely gone, but it is definitely a very small percent.  Ignorance and religion still foster it  in a few places.  But anyway, YOU GOTTA SEE THIS MOVIE!

I thought" Malcolm X" was far better. This had great moments, but it dragged on a bit too long for me and tried too much to be a mix of comedy/drama. I think it should have been more drama.

STILL a worthy movie that everyone should see.

My favorite comedic part was when the "help" gave that white bitch the pie and she finally figured out that the "help" shit in the pie.

But my favorite serious part was when the woman was arrested by the cop for steeling  the jewelery and the cop beat the shit out of her, but THEN when the community watched it and the message spread all of the "help" stood up for her.

THAT was my favorite part.

Not my favorite piece about this subject but it damned sure had parts that made me cry.

Malcolm X to this day is my favorite piece from that, period. But this was a good movie too.