Faith based slavery in a Louisiana prison

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Faith based slavery in a Louisiana prison

Now we all know that a lot of people find "Jesus" in prison, but this is about how the Warden pays for his Chapels with the prison rodeo, instead of investing it in the prison, this is a little long, but its worth the read ~ www.alternet.org/story/1151910/inside_angola%3A_faith_based_slavery__in_a_louisiana_prison/?page=entire

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Right site

But there is no story there ? Can someone help me link top this story ?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
http://www.alternet.org/story

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
No Subject

Thanks Gene ! Did you read it ?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
The religious aspect sickens

The religious aspect sickens me because it is another hostage situation where the warden, guards and other prisoners can blackmail you with punishment if you don't partake.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Yes, I did read it. I have mixed feelings about the matter at hand.

It is really heavy handed for the warden to insist that the contractor who sets up the rodeo must donate heavily to the prison religion fund. On the other side of the coin, other prisons still have religion and probably only the “default religion”. They do it in the rooms which are designated as “official” chapels. I am reasonably sure that the tax payer gets the bill for construction of prison buildings and thus for these rooms.

And yes Brian, I am sick at the idea of the warden pulling the “we don't force religion but we reward those who participate” thing. Not only because it is coercive but also because the motive is clear. He knows just how far he can go without crossing a legal line and he goes right to the edge.

I hold the same objection to some of the ways that we dealt with prisoners from the war on terror. We draw a legal line that we do not cross and then we go right there. I suppose that if there is a need to harshly deal with people, then it should be known just how far one may go. So scaring people with dogs does not do any medical damage and, well, OK. However, to say that when Saddam was pulled from the hole in the ground and he was not wearing a military uniform means that he is not subject to the rules of the Geneva convention does not really sound good in my book.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=