Yale students find Rain Forest organisms that can degrade plastics

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yale students find Rain Forest organisms that can degrade plastics

New Haven, Conn. — Organisms discovered by Yale undergraduates growing within fungi in the Amazon Rainforest can degrade polyurethane,

a findings that may lead to innovative ways to reduce waste in the world's landfills.  * Yale Edu News*

http://opac.yale.edu/news/article.aspx?id=8766

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Keep those things away from

Keep those things away from my condoms!

Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:Keep those

Ktulu wrote:

Keep those things away from my condoms!

It was morality that burned the books of the ancient sages, and morality that halted the free inquiry of the Golden Age and substituted for it the credulous imbecility of the Age of Faith. It was a fixed moral code and a fixed theology which robbed the human race of a thousand years by wasting them upon alchemy, heretic-burning, witchcraft and sacerdotalism.-H.L. Mencken

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
On the other hand...

All kidding aside (did I say that),  taken out of their natural enviroment could turn them into a Frankensteins monster:  Imagine an unnoticed growth happening in a Car factory, a plane factory or even a condom factory.  It does sound like a great idea for landfill sites but let us be carefull about letting that genie out of the bottle.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
re:: Inadequate (Thread's topic)

re:: Inadequate 

If human history is any kind  of indicator. Distressingly inadequate for the lungs of the planet ;  they are still screwed. 

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I say we recycle the

I say we recycle the plastics first, before turning loose this potentially terrible plastic-eating fungus. They're made out of crude oil and the oil is not going back. Isolating the enzyme by which the fungus does its magic is a better idea. But still, what is the byproduct? Usually when a plastic breaks down or gets depolymerized, I guess it breaks down on tar, oil, petrol, benzene, alcohols or something like that. Which is not a nice thing to have it soaked into ground waters. 

Recycling is basically a question of available energy plus using different technology for each kind of substance to be recycled. But still, I'd love to see something like small solar-powered robots, roaming the landfills like ants and picking bits of plastic and metals out of the heaps for recyclation. Or a state-enforced management of resources.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.