Polygamist leader Warren Jeffs gets life in prison for pedophilia

Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
Recovering fundamentalist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Polygamist leader Warren Jeffs gets life in prison for pedophilia

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/10/us-polygamist-trial-idUSTRE77903R20110810

The Texas jury of 10 women and two men deliberated for less than an hour before giving him a 99-year, or life, sentence for one charge and 20 years for a second -- the maximum for both.

The case against Jeffs and others stems from a raid on his sect's Yearning for Zion Ranch in rural Texas in April 2008. Authorities took custody of some 400 children but returned them to their families after an investigation and DNA tests.

Prosecutors said Jeffs, 55, "played a sick game of child molestation under the guise of religious ceremony."

He will serve his prison terms consecutively and is not eligible for parole until 2070. Jeffs was convicted last week of aggravated sexual assault on a child and sexual assault on a child in connection with two girls he "married" when they were 12 and 14 years old.

He fathered a child with the older girl and was heard on audio recordings telling groups of teenage girls they would be "rejected by God" if they refused his sexual advances.

A crowd heckled Jeffs as he was put into a police car after the sentencing.

"Do you still think you're the prophet?" one woman yelled.

Jeffs abused his position as leader of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints "to victimize children, to break up families and to satisfy his own personal appetites and desires," Assistant Texas Attorney General Eric Nichols told the jury.

Jeffs, who represented himself at trial, had argued in loud outbursts that the court was trampling on his religious rights by hearing the case.

His sect, which experts estimate has 10,000 followers in North America, has been condemned by the mainstream Mormon Church and is accused of promoting marriages between older men and girls.

Optimism is reality, pessimism is the fantasy that you know enough to be cynical

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Speaking of the death

Speaking of the death penalty......

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
If he had stuck to having a

If he had stuck to having a harem of consenting adult women, I wouldn't have cared.  As it is, may he have to bend over to find the soap twice a day.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now if only Winston

Now if only Winston Blackmore would get convicted...I mean it will probably happen, but damn, it's taking so long.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

Oh boy, here we go again. Look, in the context OF ONE CASE and this particular person in the context of this case, it SOUNDS like a good idea.

But long term especially with sexual assault, even committed against adults, the cluster fuck is that you don't always have physical evidence and it can end up being "he said she said".

Back in the 80s several daycare workers were convicted for alleged molestations that after decades were thrown out BECAUSE of the convictions based on an over zealous community and bad police interview training. The kids were basically scared about not pleasing the police and interviewers to "get the bad guy" that they ended up saying what the police wanted them to say.

Having said that, this case certainly is more solid, but even without the involvement of kids, in any death penalty case, you cant bring the person back to life if you make the mistake of wrongly convicting them.

Jeffs isn't going to Club Med and if has any fucking brains he will ask for segregation because people who harm children in prison don't fair so well.

I warn you on any subject, that the attitude of the public should be not based upon nature of the charge, or liking or not liking the accused. It should be based on objectivity and facts alone.

I do, even without having kids myself, understand where the reactions to such thing come from. Our species, and many other species don't like it when you fuck with their young.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:If he had stuck to

cj wrote:

If he had stuck to having a harem of consenting adult women, I wouldn't have cared.  As it is, may he have to bend over to find the soap twice a day.

Laughing out loud My sentiments exactly.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Beyond Saving

Brian37 wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Oh boy, here we go again. Look, in the context OF ONE CASE and this particular person in the context of this case, it SOUNDS like a good idea.

But long term especially with sexual assault, even committed against adults, the cluster fuck is that you don't always have physical evidence and it can end up being "he said she said".

Back in the 80s several daycare workers were convicted for alleged molestations that after decades were thrown out BECAUSE of the convictions based on an over zealous community and bad police interview training. The kids were basically scared about not pleasing the police and interviewers to "get the bad guy" that they ended up saying what the police wanted them to say.

Having said that, this case certainly is more solid, but even without the involvement of kids, in any death penalty case, you cant bring the person back to life if you make the mistake of wrongly convicting them.

Jeffs isn't going to Club Med and if has any fucking brains he will ask for segregation because people who harm children in prison don't fair so well.

I warn you on any subject, that the attitude of the public should be not based upon nature of the charge, or liking or not liking the accused. It should be based on objectivity and facts alone.

I do, even without having kids myself, understand where the reactions to such thing come from. Our species, and many other species don't like it when you fuck with their young.

Calm down Brian, I am against the death penalty precisely because I don't trust the government to do anything right. I was just daydreaming about this particular asshole dying. And I have to admit, if I was a prison guard I might take an extra long smoke break after leaving him among the general population...

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
Recovering fundamentalist's picture
User is offlineOffline
On the plus side, these guys

On the plus side, these guys in the "special protection units" have the pleasure of spending 23 hours a day lock in the same dark cell, slowly going insane staring at the same crack in the wall for months on end.

Optimism is reality, pessimism is the fantasy that you know enough to be cynical

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Brian37

Beyond Saving wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Calm down Brian, I am against the death penalty precisely because I don't trust the government to do anything right. I was just daydreaming about this particular asshole dying. And I have to admit, if I was a prison guard I might take an extra long smoke break after leaving him among the general population...

Ok, I'll retract my fangs. You do bring out the best in me.

I got ya. Yea, like you, I am not going to loose a lick of sleep if Bubba bones Jeffs in a jail cell. AND I agree that government does fuck up, and if there is anything you cant afford to fuck up on it would be the death penalty, and for that reason, I agree, I am against it too, for the simple reason that you cant bring someone back if you make the mistake.

I haven't had my rabies shot updated and I didn't take my meds this week. But yea, agreed.

I thought his entire behavior during the trial was laughable. It is just sad that those left at the compound are so deprived of contact with the outside world, they don't know how much damage this fuckwad has done to them.

So I am happy knowing that he is literally going to have to watch his ass for the rest of his life. Jeffs if he isn't in segregation will be taking the purple crown cab up the old Hersey highway. Boo hoo.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:cj

harleysportster wrote:

cj wrote:

Laughing out loud My sentiments exactly.

Even in this context, the "harem" is a misogynistic religious view dominated by males. Now, strictly from "religious freedom" issue, adults should be allowed to do what they want. Even as such, if this sect were saying "no marriage and no sex until the woman is legal" it doesn't stop them from indoctrinating the kid at a young age.

So age and sex are not the only factor. Without the outside education of girls and women you still have a cult indoctrinating them even if they abide by age laws concerning marriage and sex. They are still taught that girls are second class and the property of men.

I would have more sympathy for "harems" if from a young age, both boys and girls are taught that their brains and bodies belong to them and no one else and they don't have to marry someone they dont like and they dont have to have sex with someone they dont like and that they should wait until they are much older to have sex, even outside the issue of marriage or harems.

I can tell you I did some pretty stupid shit when I was a teen and I got lucky in the fact that I didnt end up getting my girlfriends my hook ups pregnant.and I am lucky even in my twenties to have avoided that unwanted pregnancy. But as a teen my partners were the same age as me and there was consent.

In this case this is nothing more than a bunch of asshole men who think girls and women are property and are to be dictated to. So even if they abide by age laws they are still dictating to the girls/women.

Other religions including some sects of Hinduism in India value pre arranged marriage and even in Islam. This garbage is ancient bullshit that devalues women and needs to be educated out of existence. Children, both boys and girls need to be taught from a young age that they are individuals and that their bodies and brains are not property.

That sect most likely will stop the under age shit, but they will not stop telling boys and girls that women are property to be dictated to by men.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

cj wrote:

If consent were present, perhaps. However, that is not the case in this cult.

First, in order to support the many wives thing, they have as a standard that something like 90% of the boys are excommunicated and ostracized right around puberty. Often for offenses as minor as being caught with a comic book (not church approved material).

Second, they also do the above to established men in the community at times. Then Jeffs and now the guy who will replace him will reassign the now available females to other men.

Speaking of Jeffs replacement, you can be assured that there will be one. Jeffs was the son of the previous head of the cult and when daddy died, he inherited the old codgers wives to add to his pack.

The way the cult is structured, every man is a prophet to themselves but as you move up the hierarchy, you get to be a prophet to those lower on the totem pole as well. So whomever was second in command will now assume the role.

Oddly, while government can't technically have opinions on religion, they have, by doing this, set up a situation where the new guy now has a claim to personally know god's cell phone number.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I would have

Brian37 wrote:

I would have more sympathy for "harems" if from a young age, both boys and girls are taught that their brains and bodies belong to them and no one else and they don't have to marry someone they dont like and they dont have to have sex with someone they dont like and that they should wait until they are much older to have sex, even outside the issue of marriage or harems.

You are absolutely correct, Brian.  My comment was more intended for quick jab, than carefully thought out commentary. 

I have probably read too many Robert Heinlein books and absorbed his concepts of flexible marriage arrangements at an early age.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

If consent were present, perhaps. However, that is not the case in this cult.

Yeah, I know there is no concept of "consent" - especially for women - in this cult.  And yes, their church does have that hierarchy.  Just like the Mormon church, the Jehovah Witnesses, and the RC to name a few. 

Women were generally property up until just a hundred years ago - or less.  What, 1920's most places?  Still are in some countries and in some enclaves in the US.  Some have been brain washed into believing they like it.  My comment was mostly for those women and men who have relaxed ideas about the suitability and benefits of monogamy.  As in - they don't believe monogamy is suitable and  there aren't any benefits. 

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Brian37 wrote:I

cj wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

You are absolutely correct, Brian.  My comment was more intended for quick jab, than carefully thought out commentary. 

I have probably read too many Robert Heinlein books and absorbed his concepts of flexible marriage arrangements at an early age.

I too was being sarcastic and having a laugh. But, truth to be told, I think what those people are doing and their opinion of women is deplorable.

I also think the mind control tactics of this cult and their brainwashing methods are deplorable as well.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno