Glenn Beck compares Norwegian shooting victims to Hitler Youth

Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
Recovering fundamentalist's picture
Posts: 196
Joined: 2011-03-14
User is offlineOffline
Glenn Beck compares Norwegian shooting victims to Hitler Youth

Optimism is reality, pessimism is the fantasy that you know enough to be cynical


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13671
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
I really hope there is a

I really hope there is a backlash to this.

First off Gloom Dick, it was quite the opposite. This monster hated immigration and pluralism, something that youth camp's parents who sent them valued.

That monster would himself with his mindset, would have loved Hitler and his ideas of religious and racial purity and national pride. The monster was a purist.

I hope the victims families catch wind of this and get Beck fired. This is totally insensitive attention grabbing bullshit. I've seen some pretty low shit, but this has to be at the top of the garbage heap.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Antipatris
atheist
Antipatris's picture
Posts: 175
Joined: 2011-05-20
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I really hope

Brian37 wrote:

I really hope there is a backlash to this.

What would be the point ? Then he'll just play the victim again.

Listening to that guy is like stepping in dogshit. Just scrape it off and keep walking.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13671
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
Antipatris wrote:Brian37

Antipatris wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

I really hope there is a backlash to this.

What would be the point ? Then he'll just play the victim again.

Listening to that guy is like stepping in dogshit. Just scrape it off and keep walking.

The appeal of the free market is available to these victims and if they wish to knock this asshole off his perch for being such a prick, I think they should.

He can play victim all he wants, but that doesn't mean others have to put up with it. I am all for his legal right to spew his vile crap, but I am also for opposition to counter his crap.

I quite often get down on the atheists on the left when they say "Don't pick on this or that minority, there should be laws against it"

NO, once you start getting into that crap you can set the government up to play thought police. But If you are getting stepped on by someone, you damn sure have the same right to raise your voice to counter the crap others may spew.

Lets say, for example, I got murdered by a Christian tomorrow. I wouldn't give a shit, nor would I want our free speech to stop some idiot from saying "Damned godless bastard deserved it", not that I would have the capability to care. I would not want my fellow atheists using force of law to stop someone from saying stupid shit like that. But I damned sure would want my fellow atheists to use the same free market of ideas to counter stupid shit.

I think some things cannot nor should be ignored, even if I agree with someone's legal right to say it.

This is one of them. Equating a youth group to Hitler when you are patently lying about them, when that group welcome racial, economic and political pluralism is the opposite of what Hitler wanted. And is in line with what that monster wanted. A lie is a lie and this kind of lie is poison to society.

And Glen Beck is too much of a self centered prick to even see that I protect his right to say what he said. Protecting someone's rights doesn't mean I shouldn't have the right to challenge what they say.

So he Basically supported this monster because he murdered "liberals".

How much do you have to scramble your brains to look at the word "liberal" which literally comes from "liberate" which is directly related to "freedom" and twist it to the monochromatic mindset of Hitler, is not only absurd, but sick.

The only credit I can give Beck and his ilk is that they would make great lead characters in 1984 and Animal Farm.

Beck suffers from the same utopia xenophobia that monster suffered from. I see nothing more important than turning a jackass like that into marginalized street corner bum who escaped from the mental ward who is pushing pencils begging for change. Maybe if enough people had been brave enough to challenge Hitler when he first attempted to rise to power, maybe if people hadn't ignored him, like you are suggesting I ignore Beck, maybe the horrible slaughter on humanity he inflicted wouldn't have happened.

 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13671
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
Antipatris wrote:Brian37

Antipatris wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

I really hope there is a backlash to this.

What would be the point ? Then he'll just play the victim again.

Listening to that guy is like stepping in dogshit. Just scrape it off and keep walking.

We should never challenge lies and absurd and poisonous claims. We should never challenge the sexist thinking of Warren Jeffs who thinks fucking little girls and submission of women is ok. We should never challenge the treatment of women like Ayaan Hersi Ali did.

There is a huge difference between "pick your battles" and "never stand up to bullies". Beck is a bully and he has lots of power and influence and by virtue of that comment is condoning genocide.

I don't want him to be arrested. I simply want people to see him for the bigoted xenophobic mental case he is so that he gets knocked of his perch and put out on the street corner where he belongs.

When he gets to the street corner, then I will have no problem ignoring his yelling and blather. But as long as he has money and power and can infect the minds of others, damned right I am going to call him out.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Antipatris
atheist
Antipatris's picture
Posts: 175
Joined: 2011-05-20
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:The appeal of

Brian37 wrote:

The appeal of the free market is available to these victims and if they wish to knock this asshole off his perch for being such a prick, I think they should.

And what if they think he's simply too insane to bother with ?

Seriously, that's how most people in europe think about people like Beck, if they think about him at all.

I mean, you guys know that democrats in your country are essentially center-right ? And that people like Beck are so far to the right that they've become barely comprehensible clowns ?

 

I think you sometimes forget just how insane he is. I've seen european news programs show clips of his or other Fox shows, and well, people just laugh. They laugh hard.

At the most, comments like his will get him some pity from this part of the world. But anger ?

I'm sorry, but that would be a waste of time and energy.

 


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13671
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
Antipatris wrote:Brian37

Antipatris wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

The appeal of the free market is available to these victims and if they wish to knock this asshole off his perch for being such a prick, I think they should.

And what if they think he's simply too insane to bother with ?

Seriously, that's how most people in europe think about people like Beck, if they think about him at all.

I mean, you guys know that democrats in your country are essentially center-right ? And that people like Beck are so far to the right that they've become barely comprehensible clowns ?

 

I think you sometimes forget just how insane he is. I've seen european news programs show clips of his or other Fox shows, and well, people just laugh. They laugh hard.

At the most, comments like his will get him some pity from this part of the world. But anger ?

I'm sorry, but that would be a waste of time and energy.

 

No, I think YOU forget how insane he is otherwise you would as you should take him seriously. AGAIN, if Hitler's opposition during his rise had taken hims seriously and competed with the same marketing and equal challenge to him, he would have ended up in a mental hospital and WW2 never would have happened.

You falsely assume that nutty people cannot achieve power or never have power. He reaches and infects the minds of millions, so even if he never becomes president, there isn't anything stopping someone in his ilk from trying.

Anger? DAMNED RIGHT, what is wrong with anger? I don't believe in wasting it, sure. But it is a motivator and can be put to positive use. I think sticking up for those poor victims is positive and my anger is motivating me to stick up for them. So how is that negative?

We are not talking about the Phelps family here, and even then, those marginalized nuts need an eye on them as well. You cant put out the fire, but you damned sure need to keep an eye on it to keep it under control so it doesn't spread.

YOU THINK THAT SOMEONE WHO BASICALLY CONDONED GENOCIDE as a political tactic should be ignored? I can can give you 6 million victims family members and descendants who survived can attest as to why the insane should not be ignored.

Paraphrase here, "Those who fall for absurdity can go on to commit atrocities:.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Antipatris
atheist
Antipatris's picture
Posts: 175
Joined: 2011-05-20
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:No, I think

Brian37 wrote:

No, I think YOU forget how insane he is otherwise you would as you should take him seriously. AGAIN, if Hitler's opposition during his rise had taken hims seriously and competed with the same marketing and equal challenge to him, he would have ended up in a mental hospital and WW2 never would have happened.

You falsely assume that nutty people cannot achieve power or never have power. He reaches and infects the minds of millions, so even if he never becomes president, there isn't anything stopping someone in his ilk from trying.

Anger? DAMNED RIGHT, what is wrong with anger? I don't believe in wasting it, sure. But it is a motivator and can be put to positive use. I think sticking up for those poor victims is positive and my anger is motivating me to stick up for them. So how is that negative?

We are not talking about the Phelps family here, and even then, those marginalized nuts need an eye on them as well. You cant put out the fire, but you damned sure need to keep an eye on it to keep it under control so it doesn't spread.

YOU THINK THAT SOMEONE WHO BASICALLY CONDONED GENOCIDE as a political tactic should be ignored? I can can give you 6 million victims family members and descendants who survived can attest as to why the insane should not be ignored.

Paraphrase here, "Those who fall for absurdity can go on to commit atrocities:.

Yikes...

Okay, I'll put it like this : People who just had their kid killed by one lunatic, really couldn't care less what another lunatic has to say about it. They're not going to bother with him, and they're right not to.

But since this Beck person is one of your homegrown loonies, sure, react if you must. But from what I've seen of him and his ilk, they seem to thrive on that, and they can quite easily channel your anger right into their bank-account.

 


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13671
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
Just Ignore Him, By Brian37

Just Ignore Him, By Brian37

The madman
With the cup of pencils
On the street corner
Claims to be Napoleon

He shouts about revolution
Selling the utopia
Of returning the country
To it's former grand stature and glory

We pass these people by
Sometimes taking pity on them
Buy them a sandwich
Or hand them a coat

But what happens
When they have money?
What happens
When they have an audience?

What happens
When they claim glory
And sell utopias
At the conquest of all outsiders?

It would be easy
To step over the bum
In the subway station
Who talks to little green men

But when Glen Beck
Lies and equates a youth group
Who promotes pluralism and inclusion
And equates them to Hitler's youth group

What do you do?

He basically condoned
What that monster did
Because he murdered
"Liberals"

A word derived
From "liberate"
To make free
Hardly the fascism of Hitler

No, that Norwegian monster
Was the same xenophobia
The same puritanical fascism
Of Hitler's youth group, not this group

And the inexcusable nerve
Of some to suggest
That we ignore Glen Beck
And his poisonous lie

Beck isn't on the street corner
We cant simply step over him
On the subway platform
And "ignore him"

Once said by someone
Should never be forgotten
"Those who swallow absurdity
go on to commit atrocities"

You cant put the fire out
But to suggest you never contain it
Is dangerous apathy
To ignore the insane

(end)

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13671
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
Antipatris wrote:Brian37

Antipatris wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

No, I think YOU forget how insane he is otherwise you would as you should take him seriously. AGAIN, if Hitler's opposition during his rise had taken hims seriously and competed with the same marketing and equal challenge to him, he would have ended up in a mental hospital and WW2 never would have happened.

You falsely assume that nutty people cannot achieve power or never have power. He reaches and infects the minds of millions, so even if he never becomes president, there isn't anything stopping someone in his ilk from trying.

Anger? DAMNED RIGHT, what is wrong with anger? I don't believe in wasting it, sure. But it is a motivator and can be put to positive use. I think sticking up for those poor victims is positive and my anger is motivating me to stick up for them. So how is that negative?

We are not talking about the Phelps family here, and even then, those marginalized nuts need an eye on them as well. You cant put out the fire, but you damned sure need to keep an eye on it to keep it under control so it doesn't spread.

YOU THINK THAT SOMEONE WHO BASICALLY CONDONED GENOCIDE as a political tactic should be ignored? I can can give you 6 million victims family members and descendants who survived can attest as to why the insane should not be ignored.

Paraphrase here, "Those who fall for absurdity can go on to commit atrocities:.

Yikes...

Okay, I'll put it like this : People who just had their kid killed by one lunatic, really couldn't care less what another lunatic has to say about it. They're not going to bother with him, and they're right not to.

But since this Beck person is one of your homegrown loonies, sure, react if you must. But from what I've seen of him and his ilk, they seem to thrive on that, and they can quite easily channel your anger right into their bank-account.

 

And Tom Lykis made this same point when he poked fun of Dale Ernhardt.

HERE IS THE DIFFERENCE. Lykis wasn't making a religious or political statment. He was merely pointing out that once you are dead you wont be around to care.

SO even if most if not all of those victims ignore him, doesn't mean his comments should be ignored. This isn't merely speaking ill of the dead, I don't give a shit myself what people might say about me after I am dead.

WHAT IS offensive is the reason this asshole did what he did AND  based much of it on the OT and the crusades and religion and the idea of monochromatic purity. The same monocrhomatic purity that Hitler was able to sell and got 6 million people murdered. Beck is basically condoning mass murder because he didn't like the political leanings of that youth group. HE CONDONED WHAT that monster did.

Beck's right to say it is not the issue. Ignoring it is the issue. I find it dangerous to ignore this. Crap like that wont go away, I am not as delusional to suggest such. But to say it shouldn't be challenged because the people it was aimed at are not focused on it themselves, is absurd.

I want him to simply be put on the street corner where he belongs.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4568
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
 Didn't we have a thread

 Didn't we have a thread not too long ago that was basically celebrating Beck leaving Fox News because he was going to be irrelevant? 

 

And Brian, are you blind to what you say? Your saying that Beck "condoned genocide" is "xenophobic" is no different than his comment comparing the youth camp to Hitler's Youth. Both are grossly misrepresenting reality and appealing to fear/anger. In fact, I think you should consider a career in radio, you could probably be the Glenn Beck of the left.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13671
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
I am sure that you find the

I am sure that you find the concept of racial purity absurd. But I am damned sure you could not get one sane black person in America to look at the photo of the KKK march on Washington back in the 30s which had a control of our congress and tell me that insane people cannot achieve power.

It is not Beck's free speech that should be in jeopardy. It is not challenging that absurdity that is dangerous to society and the freedom of all.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
Recovering fundamentalist's picture
Posts: 196
Joined: 2011-03-14
User is offlineOffline
Antipatris wrote:Seriously,

Antipatris wrote:

Seriously, that's how most people in europe think about people like Beck, if they think about him at all.

I mean, you guys know that democrats in your country are essentially center-right ? And that people like Beck are so far to the right that they've become barely comprehensible clowns ?

On that I agree to an extent, at least when it comes to rhetoric. The average right-wing pundit or blogger over here is comparable to someone like the BNP over in England.

Optimism is reality, pessimism is the fantasy that you know enough to be cynical


Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
Recovering fundamentalist's picture
Posts: 196
Joined: 2011-03-14
User is offlineOffline
The real irony in this is

The real irony in this is that Beck ran his own teabagger youth camp while he was still on Fox. I don't think this guy even cares that he sucks anymore.

Optimism is reality, pessimism is the fantasy that you know enough to be cynical


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13671
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
Beyond Saving wrote: Didn't

Beyond Saving wrote:

 Didn't we have a thread not too long ago that was basically celebrating Beck leaving Fox News because he was going to be irrelevant? 

 

And Brian, are you blind to what you say? Your saying that Beck "condoned genocide" is "xenophobic" is no different than his comment comparing the youth camp to Hitler's Youth. Both are grossly misrepresenting reality and appealing to fear/anger. In fact, I think you should consider a career in radio, you could probably be the Glenn Beck of the left.

Don't you put me in the same category as that xenophobic fuckwad. I don't go around condoning mass murder. So if you are going to stick up for your corporate buddy there, do you want me to play the game of guilt by association?

I am surprised by you being an atheist knowing better than to falsely compare me to being a counterpart to him. That is the same tactic the left and even moderates try to use to excuse the behavior in their camps.

Instead of blaming me for something I did not say, why don't you tell your buck fuddy to back off.

THE KILLER HAD A PURITANICAL VIEW OF NORWAY AND BASED IT ON THE BIBLE.

Glen beck equated that group to Hitler's youth group. If you want to excuse that, you can, but I wont.

If you have forgotten, Hitler blamed the Jews for the fall of Germany. This youth group in Norway was politically and religiously inclusive. I think what you and your propaganda buddy are scared of is their economic views.

Is that what you want to paint me out to be? You want me so desperately to do the same as Beck?

Ok, "KILL ALL BUSINESS OWNERS, THEY ARE SUCKING THE MIDDLE CLASS AND POOR DRY"

No, the difference between me and Beck, is as wrong as I think you are on certain issues, I would never condone mass murder because I think you are full of shit on some issues.

How dare you put me in the same category as that insane nut job. But I will do the same to you as I want to do to him with your pathetic attempt to lower me to his level. I damn sure will attempt to put you on that street corner with him.

No, unlike Beck, I don't want him dead or you dead. But I will challenge the bullshit both you and he spew.

 

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2011-01-04
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Beck is

Brian37 wrote:

 Beck is basically condoning mass murder because he didn't like the political leanings of that youth group. HE CONDONED WHAT that monster did.

Can you quote where Glenn Beck condoned the murders in Norway?

 

 

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13671
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
redneF wrote:Brian37

redneF wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

 Beck is basically condoning mass murder because he didn't like the political leanings of that youth group. HE CONDONED WHAT that monster did.

Can you quote where Glenn Beck condoned the murders in Norway?

 

 

So  now it's a game of semantics?

Sorry, you lost Final Jeopardy, but here are some parting gifts.

We have the home game of "DUH" produced by Parker Brothers with lots of pretty colors and pop up dice for those who like shiny colors.

HE EQUATED THAT YOUTH GROUP TO THE HITLER YOUTH GROUP

I don't know about you personally, but I am damned glad that our country and allies fought Hitler. So what would you have rational people extrapolate from his comments other than a secret "bully for you" wink and nod?

"I'm not sayen, just sayen" Glen Beck

I was born at night, just not last night.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4568
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Don't you put

Brian37 wrote:

Don't you put me in the same category as that xenophobic fuckwad. I don't go around condoning mass murder. So if you are going to stick up for your corporate buddy there, do you want me to play the game of guilt by association?

I am surprised by you being an atheist knowing better than to falsely compare me to being a counterpart to him. That is the same tactic the left and even moderates try to use to excuse the behavior in their camps.

Instead of blaming me for something I did not say, why don't you tell your buck fuddy to back off.

THE KILLER HAD A PURITANICAL VIEW OF NORWAY AND BASED IT ON THE BIBLE.

Glen beck equated that group to Hitler's youth group. If you want to excuse that, you can, but I wont.

If you have forgotten, Hitler blamed the Jews for the fall of Germany. This youth group in Norway was politically and religiously inclusive. I think what you and your propaganda buddy are scared of is their economic views.

Is that what you want to paint me out to be? You want me so desperately to do the same as Beck?

Ok, "KILL ALL BUSINESS OWNERS, THEY ARE SUCKING THE MIDDLE CLASS AND POOR DRY"

No, the difference between me and Beck, is as wrong as I think you are on certain issues, I would never condone mass murder because I think you are full of shit on some issues.

How dare you put me in the same category as that insane nut job. But I will do the same to you as I want to do to him with your pathetic attempt to lower me to his level. I damn sure will attempt to put you on that street corner with him.

No, unlike Beck, I don't want him dead or you dead. But I will challenge the bullshit both you and he spew.

 

No, I'm saying that Beck has not condoned or called for the killing of anyone anymore than the camp was a Hitler Youth camp. Just like Beck haphazardly threw out a baseless accusation, you are as well. 

 

Personally, I think it is absurd that when something like this happens we all focus on that person's political ideology.Whether it is the Unibomber, McVeigh, or this latest crazy, their political ideology is irrelevant. They are simply insane and it is ridiculous to blame that insanity on any particular political ideology. They would likely be insane and kill people regardless of their political views. But the media and politicians love to use these opportunities to smear their opponents. I see Becks remarks as simply an extension of that pattern, which is reprehensible in itself, but to accuse him of condoning genocide is equally absurd. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2011-01-04
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:redneF

Brian37 wrote:

redneF wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

 Beck is basically condoning mass murder because he didn't like the political leanings of that youth group. HE CONDONED WHAT that monster did.

Can you quote where Glenn Beck condoned the murders in Norway?

 

 

So  now it's a game of semantics?

No.

It's time for 'Show and Tell'.

All you've done is 'tell' us that he is guilty of 'condoning' what the lunatic in Norway did. I simply asked for you to 'show' what you're 'telling' us is accurate.

 

I've listened to the clip where he comments on the camp that the kids were at.

 

Here is what he said in response to the events that took place there.

 

" I want to make this very, very clear; This is the act of a madman. This is the act of somebody who needs to be in prison for the rest of their life.
This is not anything that anyone should ever engage in. There's no difference between him and the 9/11 bombers. Nothing. No difference.

He is just as bad as Osama Bin Laden. Period. "

 

 

 

 

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5487
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5851
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
By Beck's 'reasoning', any

By Beck's 'reasoning', any group which favours one point of view , general attitude, whatever, over another, is trying to 'indoctrinate' people....

So RRS is indoctrinating people in Atheism?

If we had a camp to teach kids to be open and skeptical, like Skeptic Camp, we would be indoctrinating kids?

If we had a camp to teach kids about the evils of extremism of any kind we would be wrong??

If Beck was not not trying to at least partly excuse the killer's actions, why the f**k was he trying to denigrate the whole idea of the camp??

There also seems to be a conflation here between 'labor' parties in politics, in the European/British tradition with some kind of extreme 'socialism/communism'.

How you get from a left-leaning group to a xenophobic extremist is beyond me. The killer was against this camp because it was open and tolerant.

Here in Australia, the Liberal Party is the right wing, against the leftish Labor Party.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Well Bob, there are whack jobs at the far end of probably any definable group. Really, if a group were to fully commit to doing what the NT actually says, that group should be among the mildest groups with all the love thy neighbor and turn the other cheek mentality.

 

Sadly, christians tend to breed quite a few hateful dickheads. Here in the states, we have had quite a few doctors murdered by christians who think that they are somehow reducing the number of abortions being performed. Most of our racists claim to be christians. I could go on with that train of thought but to what further point?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5851
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Well Bob, there are whack jobs at the far end of probably any definable group. Really, if a group were to fully commit to doing what the NT actually says, that group should be among the mildest groups with all the love thy neighbor and turn the other cheek mentality.

 

Sadly, christians tend to breed quite a few hateful dickheads. Here in the states, we have had quite a few doctors murdered by christians who think that they are somehow reducing the number of abortions being performed. Most of our racists claim to be christians. I could go on with that train of thought but to what further point?

 

Which is why I pointed out somewhere that his approach was definitely OT inspired. Of course the NT ends in the apocalypse of Revelations, so it really comes back to something more like this guy's scenario.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13671
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
redneF wrote:Brian37

redneF wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

redneF wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

 Beck is basically condoning mass murder because he didn't like the political leanings of that youth group. HE CONDONED WHAT that monster did.

Can you quote where Glenn Beck condoned the murders in Norway?

 

 

So  now it's a game of semantics?

No.

It's time for 'Show and Tell'.

All you've done is 'tell' us that he is guilty of 'condoning' what the lunatic in Norway did. I simply asked for you to 'show' what you're 'telling' us is accurate.

 

I've listened to the clip where he comments on the camp that the kids were at.

 

Here is what he said in response to the events that took place there.

 

" I want to make this very, very clear; This is the act of a madman. This is the act of somebody who needs to be in prison for the rest of their life.
This is not anything that anyone should ever engage in. There's no difference between him and the 9/11 bombers. Nothing. No difference.

He is just as bad as Osama Bin Laden. Period. "

 

 

Here is the quote from the article quoting his show.

Quote:
“There was a shooting at a political camp, which sounds a little like, you know, the Hitler Youth. I mean, who does a camp for kids that’s all about politics? Disturbing.”

Like I said, "I'm not sayen, just sayen"

He still equated innocent people to the poisoned indoctrinated society of Hitler.

And that group is not monochromatic like the Hitler youth group. It values pluralism and democracy, unlike Hitler. So unless Beck is glad a bunch of "liberals" got murdered, he should apologize for his comments. But if he is going to stick by them, he deserves every condemnation for them.

And he is a hypocrite because there are plenty of Christian youth groups that get indoctrinated on a variety of political issues like abortion and guns and "family values", who even if they don't tell the kids who to vote for, by the time they get to voting age, they have already been molded to vote for the religious right.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Well Brian, if you go back to post #17, I provided the actual audio clip. For some reason, the embed does not work on my box but I also put thin link and that does work for me. The clip provides the context with which to consider what actually happened. Here is my take:

 

Glen Beck is a stupid douche who says lots of stupid things. In fact, his name almost never comes up at my weekly tea party meetings. On the rare occasion that it does, he is usually compared and contrasted to his evil twin Rachael Madcow. That and he wears magical underwear.

 

In any case, the remark was a one off made in passing while he built to a different agenda entirely. It was a stupid remark, granted. However, replace the noun “politics” with the very similar one “religion” and it would be a rebuke against jesus camp. In all honesty, I would have no problem if someone called out jesus camp as a really bad idea.

 

After that brief remark, he then goes on to talk about how the bomber/shooter is a nut bag who needs to spend the rest of his life in prison. He even says that the asshole is not better than anyone from AlQuaida.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2011-01-04
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:redneF

Brian37 wrote:

redneF wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

redneF wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

 Beck is basically condoning mass murder because he didn't like the political leanings of that youth group. HE CONDONED WHAT that monster did.

Can you quote where Glenn Beck condoned the murders in Norway?

 

 

So  now it's a game of semantics?

No.

It's time for 'Show and Tell'.

All you've done is 'tell' us that he is guilty of 'condoning' what the lunatic in Norway did. I simply asked for you to 'show' what you're 'telling' us is accurate.

 

I've listened to the clip where he comments on the camp that the kids were at.

 

Here is what he said in response to the events that took place there.

 

" I want to make this very, very clear; This is the act of a madman. This is the act of somebody who needs to be in prison for the rest of their life.
This is not anything that anyone should ever engage in. There's no difference between him and the 9/11 bombers. Nothing. No difference.

He is just as bad as Osama Bin Laden. Period. "

 

 

Here is the quote from the article quoting his show.

Quote:
“There was a shooting at a political camp, which sounds a little like, you know, the Hitler Youth. I mean, who does a camp for kids that’s all about politics? Disturbing.”

Like I said, "I'm not sayen, just sayen"

He still equated innocent people to the poisoned indoctrinated society of Hitler.

And that group is not monochromatic like the Hitler youth group. It values pluralism and democracy, unlike Hitler. So unless Beck is glad a bunch of "liberals" got murdered, he should apologize for his comments. But if he is going to stick by them, he deserves every condemnation for them.

And he is a hypocrite because there are plenty of Christian youth groups that get indoctrinated on a variety of political issues like abortion and guns and "family values", who even if they don't tell the kids who to vote for, by the time they get to voting age, they have already been molded to vote for the religious right.

 

Glenn Beck is a lot of things.

 

However, I'm asking you to prove your allegation that he was condoning the murder of those children, because I've not seen him say that.

 

Stop dancing. Either prove he condoned it, or admit you made a mistake, and we can forget you ever made the mistake.

 

 

 

 

 

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13671
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
redneF wrote:Brian37

redneF wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

redneF wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

redneF wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

 Beck is basically condoning mass murder because he didn't like the political leanings of that youth group. HE CONDONED WHAT that monster did.

Can you quote where Glenn Beck condoned the murders in Norway?

 

 

So  now it's a game of semantics?

No.

It's time for 'Show and Tell'.

All you've done is 'tell' us that he is guilty of 'condoning' what the lunatic in Norway did. I simply asked for you to 'show' what you're 'telling' us is accurate.

 

I've listened to the clip where he comments on the camp that the kids were at.

 

Here is what he said in response to the events that took place there.

 

" I want to make this very, very clear; This is the act of a madman. This is the act of somebody who needs to be in prison for the rest of their life.
This is not anything that anyone should ever engage in. There's no difference between him and the 9/11 bombers. Nothing. No difference.

He is just as bad as Osama Bin Laden. Period. "

 

 

Here is the quote from the article quoting his show.

Quote:
“There was a shooting at a political camp, which sounds a little like, you know, the Hitler Youth. I mean, who does a camp for kids that’s all about politics? Disturbing.”

Like I said, "I'm not sayen, just sayen"

He still equated innocent people to the poisoned indoctrinated society of Hitler.

And that group is not monochromatic like the Hitler youth group. It values pluralism and democracy, unlike Hitler. So unless Beck is glad a bunch of "liberals" got murdered, he should apologize for his comments. But if he is going to stick by them, he deserves every condemnation for them.

And he is a hypocrite because there are plenty of Christian youth groups that get indoctrinated on a variety of political issues like abortion and guns and "family values", who even if they don't tell the kids who to vote for, by the time they get to voting age, they have already been molded to vote for the religious right.

 

Glenn Beck is a lot of things.

 

However, I'm asking you to prove your allegation that he was condoning the murder of those children, because I've not seen him say that.

 

Stop dancing. Either prove he condoned it, or admit you made a mistake, and we can forget you ever made the mistake.

 

 

 

 

 

You are the one who is delusional. We both read the same quote. The stuff he said you quoted does not change the quote I object to. Nor does it excuse it. There is a reason he said it.

'I'm not sayen, just sayen" is exactly what he was doing. He knew quite well that would be controversial and would get attention.

Now, like I said, unless he was saying those innocent people deserved death, how the fuck do you excuse him equating that youth group to the Hitler youth group?

"They didn't deserve it, but they do act like a fascist indoctrination camp" DOESN'T CUT IT

His comments were inexcusable. PERIOD.

You want to defend that jackass, you can. I won't.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4568
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:You are the

Brian37 wrote:

You are the one who is delusional. We both read the same quote. The stuff he said you quoted does not change the quote I object to. Nor does it excuse it. There is a reason he said it.

'I'm not sayen, just sayen" is exactly what he was doing. He knew quite well that would be controversial and would get attention.

Now, like I said, unless he was saying those innocent people deserved death, how the fuck do you excuse him equating that youth group to the Hitler youth group?

"They didn't deserve it, but they do act like a fascist indoctrination camp" DOESN'T CUT IT

His comments were inexcusable. PERIOD.

You want to defend that jackass, you can. I won't.

 

 

Yes, because Glenn Beck is well known for his subtlety and his ability to not say every stupid thing that pops into his head. I don't know how a lefty like you got the secret code book. 

 

You might find it hard to believe that some of us out here don't think you should kill people because of their crazy beliefs, even if those people are Nazi's. Saying "I think your a Nazi" is not the same as saying "I think you should be killed". You should realize that, especially since you have basically accused Beck of being a Nazi. Do you want someone to murder him? I'll say it right now, it would have been wrong for someone to kill Hitler before he became a tyrant, even though he was a nut. Running a political indoctrination camp isn't a good reason to kill someone. 

 

I think most people are so ridiculously ignorant of what the Nazi's were, how and why they came into power that accusing someone of being like Hitler, or fascist is practically meaningless. Even if you are drawing an apt comparison between what the Nazi's did and what someone is currently doing, the discussion becomes so emotional and tainted that the main point is lost. There was a lot more to the Nazi's than killing Jews and we would do well to learn from history. Unfortunately, humans rarely learn anything from history, so it will probably happen again. Just look at how many people say things like "our government would never do that". The Nazi's were elected into power. Democracies can become tyrannies, and government power can and will be abused. Elections, even when free and fair, are not absolute guarantees against that.

 

Beck sees what he thinks are alarming signs in Europe and he points them out on the radio show. I think he is an over the top, end of the world conspiracy theorist who tends to exaggerate everything both because that is how he makes his money and also I think he really believes it. The whole point of the segment of the show in question was to argue that the violence throughout Europe is a clash of the big government right against the big government left, (both of which Beck views as bad) which indeed is similar to the political climate in early 20th century Germany. With the global economic problems and the high levels of antagonism on both sides of the political debate, there are several similarities that could provide opportunities for a political movement on the left or right to seize power like the Nazi's did. That doesn't mean they will kill all Jews or whatnot, but it does mean that a democratic government could be changed to an authoritarian government. Which is bad even if the authoritarian(s) are more benevolent than Hitler.  

 

So like many of Beck's assertions, I think there is a small kernel of truth behind his concern. But like most of what he says, it is over exaggerated, hysterical and paranoid. The youth camp was probably just a youth camp and the crazy nut job simply a crazy nut job. Beck thinks it was a political indoctrination camp attacked by a crazy nut job that represents a political movement and is interpreting it as representative of a violent political climate that is forming. I think he is wrong and paranoid and so is the rest of the media that is focusing on the nut jobs political views. Sometimes a nut is just a nut and doesn't represent any larger movement. I don't think there is going to be an outbreak of violence in Norway or any group becoming an authoritarian dictatorship any time soon in Norway any more than there was an outbreak of violence in the US after Mcveigh. But just because I think Beck is wrong and paranoid, isn't a good reason to accuse him of being glad those kids were killed or supporting the murderer in any way when it is quite clear that he doesn't. Doing so is simply participating in the same over the top paranoid rhetoric that Beck is engaging in. 

 

What he said can easily be criticized for its face value and I don't see a need to try to read into it and make it out to be more than it was. I believe the comment was simply a passing thought that went through his head and out his mouth but if it was something he intended to be controversial and draw attention, well, it worked. But typically, when Beck does something that is intentionally controversial, he spends a lot of time building to it, he doesn't just throw out a sentence and leave it hanging as he did in this case.

 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
Recovering fundamentalist's picture
Posts: 196
Joined: 2011-03-14
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Brian37

Beyond Saving wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

You are the one who is delusional. We both read the same quote. The stuff he said you quoted does not change the quote I object to. Nor does it excuse it. There is a reason he said it.

'I'm not sayen, just sayen" is exactly what he was doing. He knew quite well that would be controversial and would get attention.

Now, like I said, unless he was saying those innocent people deserved death, how the fuck do you excuse him equating that youth group to the Hitler youth group?

"They didn't deserve it, but they do act like a fascist indoctrination camp" DOESN'T CUT IT

His comments were inexcusable. PERIOD.

You want to defend that jackass, you can. I won't.

 

 

Yes, because Glenn Beck is well known for his subtlety and his ability to not say every stupid thing that pops into his head. I don't know how a lefty like you got the secret code book. 

 

You might find it hard to believe that some of us out here don't think you should kill people because of their crazy beliefs, even if those people are Nazi's. Saying "I think your a Nazi" is not the same as saying "I think you should be killed". You should realize that, especially since you have basically accused Beck of being a Nazi. Do you want someone to murder him? I'll say it right now, it would have been wrong for someone to kill Hitler before he became a tyrant, even though he was a nut. Running a political indoctrination camp isn't a good reason to kill someone. 

 

I think most people are so ridiculously ignorant of what the Nazi's were, how and why they came into power that accusing someone of being like Hitler, or fascist is practically meaningless. Even if you are drawing an apt comparison between what the Nazi's did and what someone is currently doing, the discussion becomes so emotional and tainted that the main point is lost. There was a lot more to the Nazi's than killing Jews and we would do well to learn from history. Unfortunately, humans rarely learn anything from history, so it will probably happen again. Just look at how many people say things like "our government would never do that". The Nazi's were elected into power. Democracies can become tyrannies, and government power can and will be abused. Elections, even when free and fair, are not absolute guarantees against that.

 

Beck sees what he thinks are alarming signs in Europe and he points them out on the radio show. I think he is an over the top, end of the world conspiracy theorist who tends to exaggerate everything both because that is how he makes his money and also I think he really believes it. The whole point of the segment of the show in question was to argue that the violence throughout Europe is a clash of the big government right against the big government left, (both of which Beck views as bad) which indeed is similar to the political climate in early 20th century Germany. With the global economic problems and the high levels of antagonism on both sides of the political debate, there are several similarities that could provide opportunities for a political movement on the left or right to seize power like the Nazi's did. That doesn't mean they will kill all Jews or whatnot, but it does mean that a democratic government could be changed to an authoritarian government. Which is bad even if the authoritarian(s) are more benevolent than Hitler.  

 

So like many of Beck's assertions, I think there is a small kernel of truth behind his concern. But like most of what he says, it is over exaggerated, hysterical and paranoid. The youth camp was probably just a youth camp and the crazy nut job simply a crazy nut job. Beck thinks it was a political indoctrination camp attacked by a crazy nut job that represents a political movement and is interpreting it as representative of a violent political climate that is forming. I think he is wrong and paranoid and so is the rest of the media that is focusing on the nut jobs political views. Sometimes a nut is just a nut and doesn't represent any larger movement. I don't think there is going to be an outbreak of violence in Norway or any group becoming an authoritarian dictatorship any time soon in Norway any more than there was an outbreak of violence in the US after Mcveigh. But just because I think Beck is wrong and paranoid, isn't a good reason to accuse him of being glad those kids were killed or supporting the murderer in any way when it is quite clear that he doesn't. Doing so is simply participating in the same over the top paranoid rhetoric that Beck is engaging in. 

 

What he said can easily be criticized for its face value and I don't see a need to try to read into it and make it out to be more than it was. I believe the comment was simply a passing thought that went through his head and out his mouth but if it was something he intended to be controversial and draw attention, well, it worked. But typically, when Beck does something that is intentionally controversial, he spends a lot of time building to it, he doesn't just throw out a sentence and leave it hanging as he did in this case.

 

Even then it still shows just how much of a hack Beck is. Beck sponsored his own "9/12 Youth Camp" on Fox, and now he's whining about youth camps being the same as the Hitler Youth. He had to have known someone would dig up that bit of hypocrisy, and he didn't care. You're right, he just a "shock jock" who says stuff to get attention. This is why it's scary that anyone on the right takes this guy seriously - I saw a vid where some Beck fans at a really were interviewed and they called Glenn Beck their "savior", WTF? If you ask me its people like that who are a lot scarier than Beck himself. How can they take a guy seriously who obviously doesn't even take himself seriously?

Optimism is reality, pessimism is the fantasy that you know enough to be cynical


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13671
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
Beyond Saving wrote:Brian37

Beyond Saving wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

You are the one who is delusional. We both read the same quote. The stuff he said you quoted does not change the quote I object to. Nor does it excuse it. There is a reason he said it.

'I'm not sayen, just sayen" is exactly what he was doing. He knew quite well that would be controversial and would get attention.

Now, like I said, unless he was saying those innocent people deserved death, how the fuck do you excuse him equating that youth group to the Hitler youth group?

"They didn't deserve it, but they do act like a fascist indoctrination camp" DOESN'T CUT IT

His comments were inexcusable. PERIOD.

You want to defend that jackass, you can. I won't.

 

 

Yes, because Glenn Beck is well known for his subtlety and his ability to not say every stupid thing that pops into his head. I don't know how a lefty like you got the secret code book. 

 

You might find it hard to believe that some of us out here don't think you should kill people because of their crazy beliefs, even if those people are Nazi's. Saying "I think your a Nazi" is not the same as saying "I think you should be killed". You should realize that, especially since you have basically accused Beck of being a Nazi. Do you want someone to murder him? I'll say it right now, it would have been wrong for someone to kill Hitler before he became a tyrant, even though he was a nut. Running a political indoctrination camp isn't a good reason to kill someone. 

 

I think most people are so ridiculously ignorant of what the Nazi's were, how and why they came into power that accusing someone of being like Hitler, or fascist is practically meaningless. Even if you are drawing an apt comparison between what the Nazi's did and what someone is currently doing, the discussion becomes so emotional and tainted that the main point is lost. There was a lot more to the Nazi's than killing Jews and we would do well to learn from history. Unfortunately, humans rarely learn anything from history, so it will probably happen again. Just look at how many people say things like "our government would never do that". The Nazi's were elected into power. Democracies can become tyrannies, and government power can and will be abused. Elections, even when free and fair, are not absolute guarantees against that.

 

Beck sees what he thinks are alarming signs in Europe and he points them out on the radio show. I think he is an over the top, end of the world conspiracy theorist who tends to exaggerate everything both because that is how he makes his money and also I think he really believes it. The whole point of the segment of the show in question was to argue that the violence throughout Europe is a clash of the big government right against the big government left, (both of which Beck views as bad) which indeed is similar to the political climate in early 20th century Germany. With the global economic problems and the high levels of antagonism on both sides of the political debate, there are several similarities that could provide opportunities for a political movement on the left or right to seize power like the Nazi's did. That doesn't mean they will kill all Jews or whatnot, but it does mean that a democratic government could be changed to an authoritarian government. Which is bad even if the authoritarian(s) are more benevolent than Hitler.  

 

So like many of Beck's assertions, I think there is a small kernel of truth behind his concern. But like most of what he says, it is over exaggerated, hysterical and paranoid. The youth camp was probably just a youth camp and the crazy nut job simply a crazy nut job. Beck thinks it was a political indoctrination camp attacked by a crazy nut job that represents a political movement and is interpreting it as representative of a violent political climate that is forming. I think he is wrong and paranoid and so is the rest of the media that is focusing on the nut jobs political views. Sometimes a nut is just a nut and doesn't represent any larger movement. I don't think there is going to be an outbreak of violence in Norway or any group becoming an authoritarian dictatorship any time soon in Norway any more than there was an outbreak of violence in the US after Mcveigh. But just because I think Beck is wrong and paranoid, isn't a good reason to accuse him of being glad those kids were killed or supporting the murderer in any way when it is quite clear that he doesn't. Doing so is simply participating in the same over the top paranoid rhetoric that Beck is engaging in. 

 

What he said can easily be criticized for its face value and I don't see a need to try to read into it and make it out to be more than it was. I believe the comment was simply a passing thought that went through his head and out his mouth but if it was something he intended to be controversial and draw attention, well, it worked. But typically, when Beck does something that is intentionally controversial, he spends a lot of time building to it, he doesn't just throw out a sentence and leave it hanging as he did in this case.

 

That's your defense? Listen to you. "The Nazis were elected".

So? And look at what they did after they got elected. So as long as you elect someone anything they do after that is hunky dory?

Lets review what the Nazis did after they took power. Made Hitler dictator, stopped freedom of the distroyed the little power the government had and all dissent to the party. Took away the rights of Jews and well, murdered a shitload of them. But I guess that's ok considering they got elected.

And as far as Beck, I don't give a shit if he said it in passing or built up to it. It was inexcusable. He wasn't making a joke. He isn't a South Park writer and he most certainly is not a comedian.

If you are attempting to say "he didn't mean it", then where is his public clarification? Why are you defending him?

IF YOU THINK HE IS WRONG AND PARANOID, then cut the fucking crap and stop defending him.

 

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4568
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:That's your

Brian37 wrote:

That's your defense? Listen to you. "The Nazis were elected".

So? And look at what they did after they got elected. So as long as you elect someone anything they do after that is hunky dory?

Lets review what the Nazis did after they took power. Made Hitler dictator, stopped freedom of the distroyed the little power the government had and all dissent to the party. Took away the rights of Jews and well, murdered a shitload of them. But I guess that's ok considering they got elected.

And as far as Beck, I don't give a shit if he said it in passing or built up to it. It was inexcusable. He wasn't making a joke. He isn't a South Park writer and he most certainly is not a comedian.

If you are attempting to say "he didn't mean it", then where is his public clarification? Why are you defending him?

IF YOU THINK HE IS WRONG AND PARANOID, then cut the fucking crap and stop defending him.

 

I am not attempting to defend him or what he said. I am simply pointing out that your assertion that he "condoned genocide" is over the top and a gross misinterpretation of his comments. Just like your interpretation of my comments being that I somehow argued that the holocaust is ok because they were elected. I doubt anyone else took that away from my comments since I was arguing the exact opposite. Either I'm the worst writer on the face of the planet, or you didn't read my whole comment.

 

So to make it simple for you, I was arguing that just because your in a democracy, doesn't mean it is impossible for an extremist movement to seize power- Beck believes he sees extremist movements (on both the left and right) gaining power throughout Europe- therefore, Beck believes he is sounding the alarm to prevent that by framing the attack as an extremist attacking other extremists. As I stated, I think Beck is paranoid in this case, but I do agree with the possibility that an extremist group could surface and become a major political force. This incident simply is not an example of that. 

 

And FYI, Beck is a comedian. He even does stand up comedy shows and when he goes into one of his comedy routines, it is the best time to listen to the show. But this case he clearly was not making a joke. However, I do see a difference between a comment that is thrown out in passing and apparently not thought out and a well constructed argument that was clearly thought out.   

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


Recovering fund...
atheistSuperfan
Recovering fundamentalist's picture
Posts: 196
Joined: 2011-03-14
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Brian37

Beyond Saving wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

That's your defense? Listen to you. "The Nazis were elected".

So? And look at what they did after they got elected. So as long as you elect someone anything they do after that is hunky dory?

Lets review what the Nazis did after they took power. Made Hitler dictator, stopped freedom of the distroyed the little power the government had and all dissent to the party. Took away the rights of Jews and well, murdered a shitload of them. But I guess that's ok considering they got elected.

And as far as Beck, I don't give a shit if he said it in passing or built up to it. It was inexcusable. He wasn't making a joke. He isn't a South Park writer and he most certainly is not a comedian.

If you are attempting to say "he didn't mean it", then where is his public clarification? Why are you defending him?

IF YOU THINK HE IS WRONG AND PARANOID, then cut the fucking crap and stop defending him.

 

I am not attempting to defend him or what he said. I am simply pointing out that your assertion that he "condoned genocide" is over the top and a gross misinterpretation of his comments. Just like your interpretation of my comments being that I somehow argued that the holocaust is ok because they were elected. I doubt anyone else took that away from my comments since I was arguing the exact opposite. Either I'm the worst writer on the face of the planet, or you didn't read my whole comment.

 

So to make it simple for you, I was arguing that just because your in a democracy, doesn't mean it is impossible for an extremist movement to seize power- Beck believes he sees extremist movements (on both the left and right) gaining power throughout Europe- therefore, Beck believes he is sounding the alarm to prevent that by framing the attack as an extremist attacking other extremists. As I stated, I think Beck is paranoid in this case, but I do agree with the possibility that an extremist group could surface and become a major political force. This incident simply is not an example of that. 

 

And FYI, Beck is a comedian. He even does stand up comedy shows and when he goes into one of his comedy routines, it is the best time to listen to the show. But this case he clearly was not making a joke. However, I do see a difference between a comment that is thrown out in passing and apparently not thought out and a well constructed argument that was clearly thought out.   

If Beck's just a comedian (which is totally plausible) then what does that say about the Teabaggers who call him "their savior" and treat his every word like it's God's?

Optimism is reality, pessimism is the fantasy that you know enough to be cynical


Beyond Saving
Silver Member
Beyond Saving's picture
Posts: 4568
Joined: 2007-10-12
User is offlineOffline
Recovering fundamentalist

Recovering fundamentalist wrote:

If Beck's just a comedian (which is totally plausible) then what does that say about the Teabaggers who call him "their savior" and treat his every word like it's God's?

 

That they are delusional dumbasses?

 

He isn't just a comedian, but he often does routines on his show that are clearly comedic only. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X


Antipatris
atheist
Antipatris's picture
Posts: 175
Joined: 2011-05-20
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:  I do

Beyond Saving wrote:

 I do see a difference between a comment that is thrown out in passing and apparently not thought out and a well constructed argument that was clearly thought out.   

The key word here being "apparently".

 

 


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13671
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
Beyond Saving wrote:Brian37

Beyond Saving wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

That's your defense? Listen to you. "The Nazis were elected".

So? And look at what they did after they got elected. So as long as you elect someone anything they do after that is hunky dory?

Lets review what the Nazis did after they took power. Made Hitler dictator, stopped freedom of the distroyed the little power the government had and all dissent to the party. Took away the rights of Jews and well, murdered a shitload of them. But I guess that's ok considering they got elected.

And as far as Beck, I don't give a shit if he said it in passing or built up to it. It was inexcusable. He wasn't making a joke. He isn't a South Park writer and he most certainly is not a comedian.

If you are attempting to say "he didn't mean it", then where is his public clarification? Why are you defending him?

IF YOU THINK HE IS WRONG AND PARANOID, then cut the fucking crap and stop defending him.

 

I am not attempting to defend him or what he said. I am simply pointing out that your assertion that he "condoned genocide" is over the top and a gross misinterpretation of his comments. Just like your interpretation of my comments being that I somehow argued that the holocaust is ok because they were elected. I doubt anyone else took that away from my comments since I was arguing the exact opposite. Either I'm the worst writer on the face of the planet, or you didn't read my whole comment.

 

So to make it simple for you, I was arguing that just because your in a democracy, doesn't mean it is impossible for an extremist movement to seize power- Beck believes he sees extremist movements (on both the left and right) gaining power throughout Europe- therefore, Beck believes he is sounding the alarm to prevent that by framing the attack as an extremist attacking other extremists. As I stated, I think Beck is paranoid in this case, but I do agree with the possibility that an extremist group could surface and become a major political force. This incident simply is not an example of that. 

 

And FYI, Beck is a comedian. He even does stand up comedy shows and when he goes into one of his comedy routines, it is the best time to listen to the show. But this case he clearly was not making a joke. However, I do see a difference between a comment that is thrown out in passing and apparently not thought out and a well constructed argument that was clearly thought out.   

Once again, you are splitting hairs and I am telling you it doesn't fucking matter. EITHER WAY his comments were inexcusable.

For someone who advocates right wing religious youth groups who get involved in political issues all the time, he is a fucking hypocrite. And he is lying about the group by equating it to the monochromatic ideology of the Hitler youth group. This youth group promotes democracy and inclusion, unlike Hitler.

The religions Beck supports in this country are much more like Hitler's youth group. He views at best, Christians with the only right to hold power in this country with at best, all others to "know their place" as mere guests who should be happy that Christians "allow" them to live here.

His idea of freedom is to take your seat at the back of the bus and be happy that you were even allowed on the bus.

Becks view of the country is closer to the monochromatic ideology of Hitler. One religion one party rule. He knows he cant say that openly, but he damned sure wants to get closer to that ideal as much as possible.

What he did is like blaming the rape victim. "If she hadn't worn that short skirt, she wouldn't have gotten raped"

"If they weren't so liberal, they wouldn't have been murdered"

Beck is an absolute fuckwad asshat. He has no desire to defend "no religious test" or "freedom of religion". He defends his own selfish ideology and gets rich of the credulity of those who watch him.

I am not blowing a damned thing out of proportion here. If he is going to spew that vile xenophobic garbage I am most certainly going to call him out on it.

Beck deserves every condemnation for his comments.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2011-01-04
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:redneF

redneF wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

redneF wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

 Beck is basically condoning mass murder because he didn't like the political leanings of that youth group. HE CONDONED WHAT that monster did.

Can you quote where Glenn Beck condoned the murders in Norway?

 

 

So  now it's a game of semantics?

No.

It's time for 'Show and Tell'.

All you've done is 'tell' us that he is guilty of 'condoning' what the lunatic in Norway did. I simply asked for you to 'show' what you're 'telling' us is accurate.

 

I've listened to the clip where he comments on the camp that the kids were at.

 

Here is what he said in response to the events that took place there.

 

" I want to make this very, very clear; This is the act of a madman. This is the act of somebody who needs to be in prison for the rest of their life.
This is not anything that anyone should ever engage in. There's no difference between him and the 9/11 bombers. Nothing. No difference.

He is just as bad as Osama Bin Laden. Period. "

 

Brian37 wrote:

Here is the quote from the article quoting his show.

Quote:
“There was a shooting at a political camp, which sounds a little like, you know, the Hitler Youth. I mean, who does a camp for kids that’s all about politics? Disturbing.”

Like I said, "I'm not sayen, just sayen"

He still equated innocent people to the poisoned indoctrinated society of Hitler.

How??

By saying that it 'which sounds a little like...'you know', the Hitler Youth' ?

 

Make mountains out of molehills much?

 

Brian37 wrote:

redneF wrote:

Glenn Beck is a lot of things.

 

However, I'm asking you to prove your allegation that he was condoning the murder of those children, because I've not seen him say that.

 

Stop dancing. Either prove he condoned it, or admit you made a mistake, and we can forget you ever made the mistake.

You are the one who is delusional.

I never said you were delusional.

Brian37 wrote:
We both read the same quote.

Then your reading comprehension skills are off.

I'm sure Glenn Beck is capable of articulating that this camp was 'equal' to Hitler Youth, without your help.

What he said was ''sounds a little like...'you know', the Hitler Youth'.

 

Brian37 wrote:
 There is a reason he said it.

Ya, it's called 'casting aspersions'.

 

Brian37 wrote:
how the fuck do you excuse him equating that youth group to the Hitler youth group?

He didn't equate them to the Hitler Youth group. Repeatedly alleging it, doesn't change the words that he spoke.

 

Brian37 wrote:
You want to defend that jackass, you can. I won't.

I assumed that, since you're on the attack.

But, I will defend against false accusations.

What you're alleging doesn't even make sense, being that the statement he put the most emphasis on, would completely contradict condoning any acts of mass murder.

" I want to make this very, very clear; This is the act of a madman. This is the act of somebody who needs to be in prison for the rest of their life.
This is not anything that anyone should ever engage in. There's no difference between him and the 9/11 bombers. Nothing. No difference.

He is just as bad as Osama Bin Laden. Period. "

 

 

 

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13671
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
redneF wrote:redneF

redneF wrote:

redneF wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

redneF wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

 Beck is basically condoning mass murder because he didn't like the political leanings of that youth group. HE CONDONED WHAT that monster did.

Can you quote where Glenn Beck condoned the murders in Norway?

 

 

So  now it's a game of semantics?

No.

It's time for 'Show and Tell'.

All you've done is 'tell' us that he is guilty of 'condoning' what the lunatic in Norway did. I simply asked for you to 'show' what you're 'telling' us is accurate.

 

I've listened to the clip where he comments on the camp that the kids were at.

 

Here is what he said in response to the events that took place there.

 

" I want to make this very, very clear; This is the act of a madman. This is the act of somebody who needs to be in prison for the rest of their life.
This is not anything that anyone should ever engage in. There's no difference between him and the 9/11 bombers. Nothing. No difference.

He is just as bad as Osama Bin Laden. Period. "

 

Brian37 wrote:

Here is the quote from the article quoting his show.

Quote:
“There was a shooting at a political camp, which sounds a little like, you know, the Hitler Youth. I mean, who does a camp for kids that’s all about politics? Disturbing.”

Like I said, "I'm not sayen, just sayen"

He still equated innocent people to the poisoned indoctrinated society of Hitler.

How??

By saying that it 'which sounds a little like...'you know', the Hitler Youth' ?

 

Make mountains out of molehills much?

 

Brian37 wrote:

redneF wrote:

Glenn Beck is a lot of things.

 

However, I'm asking you to prove your allegation that he was condoning the murder of those children, because I've not seen him say that.

 

Stop dancing. Either prove he condoned it, or admit you made a mistake, and we can forget you ever made the mistake.

You are the one who is delusional.

I never said you were delusional.

Brian37 wrote:
We both read the same quote.

Then your reading comprehension skills are off.

I'm sure Glenn Beck is capable of articulating that this camp was 'equal' to Hitler Youth, without your help.

What he said was ''sounds a little like...'you know', the Hitler Youth'.

 

Brian37 wrote:
 There is a reason he said it.

Ya, it's called 'casting aspersions'.

 

Brian37 wrote:
how the fuck do you excuse him equating that youth group to the Hitler youth group?

He didn't equate them to the Hitler Youth group. Repeatedly alleging it, doesn't change the words that he spoke.

 

Brian37 wrote:
You want to defend that jackass, you can. I won't.

I assumed that, since you're on the attack.

But, I will defend against false accusations.

What you're alleging doesn't even make sense, being that the statement he put the most emphasis on, would completely contradict condoning any acts of mass murder.

" I want to make this very, very clear; This is the act of a madman. This is the act of somebody who needs to be in prison for the rest of their life.
This is not anything that anyone should ever engage in. There's no difference between him and the 9/11 bombers. Nothing. No difference.

He is just as bad as Osama Bin Laden. Period. "

 

 

 

How many times are you going to post that bullshit preemptive garbage. "I'm not sayen, just sayen"

BUT HE STILL EQUATED THIS YOUTH GROUP TO HITLER'S YOUTH GROUP.

The above bullshit is nothing more than "I'm not calling them niggers, just saying that black people commit a lot of crime. I'm not saying that blacks deserve to be blamed for all crime nor are are all of them "niggers". This example is the same bullshit as above you use to justify "prove he condoned genocide".

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2011-01-04
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:BUT HE STILL

Brian37 wrote:

BUT HE STILL EQUATED THIS YOUTH GROUP TO HITLER'S YOUTH GROUP.

I already proved that that was not the case.

Nor did he condone their slaughter, as you allege.

 

 

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13671
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
redneF wrote:Brian37

redneF wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

BUT HE STILL EQUATED THIS YOUTH GROUP TO HITLER'S YOUTH GROUP.

I already proved that that was not the case.

Nor did he condone their slaughter, as you allege.

 

 

"I'm not calling them niggers, just sayen"

You are making yourself look like a fool with every inexcusable defense of what he said.

He didn't have to condone genocide by saying "I am glad they got murdered", but the preemptive crap you quoted certainly does nothing to negate the quote he did make equating that youth group to the Hitler youth group.

"I'm not sayen, just sayen"

Thats like saying "God in the pledge is generic. (wink wink) I never said it was the Christian god. Prove to me where I claimed God in the pledge was the Christian God"

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37