Questions for christians on the bible.

marshalltenbears
marshalltenbears's picture
User is offlineOffline
Questions for christians on the bible.

Just a few questions for any christians out there.

1. How do you determine the correct interpretation of the bible? How are you sure yours is the right interpretation?

2. If the bible was meant to be interpreted a certain way, then why are there multiple sects of the same religion?

If any christian wants to answer these questions then I will post my follow on questions. 

Thanks. 

"Take all the heads of the people
and hang them up before the Lord
against the sun.” -- Numbers 25:4

David Henson
Theist
David Henson's picture
User is offlineOffline
marshalltenbears

marshalltenbears wrote:

1. How do you determine the correct interpretation of the bible? How are you sure yours is the right interpretation?

2. If the bible was meant to be interpreted a certain way, then why are there multiple sects of the same religion?

If any christian wants to answer these questions then I will post my follow on questions. 

Thanks. 

1. I think for myself.

2. What makes you think that the Bible was meant to be interpreted in a certain way? There are two ways to interpret anything. The right way or the wrong way. When you look at science do you really think that there is no disagreement? You think it is etched in stone?

By the way . . .  Dumbass . . . is that you gettin' tazered?

have you considered elctro schock therapy?

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
David Henson

David Henson wrote:

marshalltenbears wrote:

Thanks. 

1. I think for myself.

Then you're doing it wrong. You aren't supposed to deliberate over the word of God. You're just supposed to obey God.

David Henson wrote:
2. What makes you think that the Bible was meant to be interpreted in a certain way?  

Oh,  F U C K  R I G H T  O F F.

Are you that deaf, dumb and stupid? It's the theologians, apologists and evangalists themselves who lecture that it needs to be 'properly' interpreted, you fuck.

You're all a bunch of incessantly lying, conniving, self righteous coonts.

One of these days I'm just going to come out and honestly tell people what I really think of theists...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
redneF wrote:Oh,  F U C K 

redneF wrote:

Oh,  F U C K  R I G H T  O F F.

Are you that deaf, dumb and stupid? It's the theologians, apologists and evangalists themselves who lecture that it needs to be 'properly' interpreted, you fuck.

You're all a bunch of incessantly lying, conniving, self righteous coonts.

One of these days I'm just going to come out and honestly tell people what I really think of theists...

Now, don't hold anything back.  How do you really feel?

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
David Henson

David Henson wrote:

marshalltenbears wrote:

Thanks. 

1. I think for myself.

2. What makes you think that the Bible was meant to be interpreted in a certain way? There are two ways to interpret anything. The right way or the wrong way. When you look at science do you really think that there is no disagreement? You think it is etched in stone?

You are the reason I skip all holy books because arguing the details in them is like arguing over Klingon's vs "The Force". Si fi fans can be experts in both those fictional stories, but exactly what are they expert's in?

You'd have me believe, CALL IT WHATEVER YOU WILL, that there really really really is an invisible brain with no material, no location, that resides everywhere and nowhere at the same time, that has magical super powers and cares about this tiny rock in the middle of this vast universe?

Do you really really really really believe that there is a disembodied magical super brain that is "all powerful". If so then that would mean that it has the capability to manipulate every neuron down to the quark, in your brain. That would be billions. Not to mention all the atoms in the universe.

But on top of that absurdity, IF you really insist on believing in Santa for adults, you have an ancient book of myth written over 1,000 year period by people who had no clue as to scientific reality. It creates the earth in 6 days. It pops out adult plants without photosynthesis. It pops out adult males from dirt. It pops out adult women from bone. Treats the sun and moon as separate sources of light.  It takes "godsperm" not that there is such a thing, and knocks up a virgin without a second set of DNA.

You don't believe that Thor makes lightening. Try understanding why you rightfully reject such an absurd claim and MAYBE MAYBE you'll understand we reject your pet god claim as well.

You might as well be arguing for the existence of Harry Potter and truly believe that he can fly around on a broom.

"Harry Potter flew around on a vacuum cleaner, not a broom" Doesn't constitute reality.

This is why I avoid that book of myth. I could care less about "interpretation". It doesn't make, in any context, or interpretation, the claim of ANY invisible sky daddy real. It wasn't true when the Ancient Egyptians thought the sun was a god and it isn't true that ANY god, much less yours, is a viable credible answer just because a bunch of people went around, and still go around, claiming it.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah David

David Henson wrote:

When you look at science do you really think that there is no disagreement? You think it is etched in stone?

You're exactly right. Conjecture over scientific facts is exactly the same as conjecture over the existence of the supernatural.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

David Henson wrote:

When you look at science do you really think that there is no disagreement? You think it is etched in stone?

You're exactly right. Conjecture over scientific facts is exactly the same as conjecture over the existence of the supernatural.

The facts do seem to change over time as someone I know likes to point out. He doesn't like to admit they don't always change they just get added too. He mentioned that since he was young they have added 15 elements to the periodic table and they had claimed they had all the elements listed. If science did make this claim then he has a point of sorts or maybe he's just full of it I'm not sure.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
See what you're saying

robj101 wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

David Henson wrote:

The facts do seem to change over time as someone I know likes to point out. He doesn't like to admit they don't always change they just get added too. He mentioned that since he was young they have added 15 elements to the periodic table and they had claimed they had all the elements listed. If science did make this claim then he has a point of sorts or maybe he's just full of it I'm not sure.

guess my issue is that we never add to our knowledge of the mechanisms of external agency. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
David Henson

David Henson wrote:

marshalltenbears wrote:

Thanks. 

1. I think for myself.

1. You think for yourself? Your pastor told you that right?

2. There are as many interpretations for scripture as there are Christians and all of them can be wrong (even though they all claim to be right). Perhaps because the Bible was written that way, i.e., poorly?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

robj101 wrote:

Your friend is a dumbass.

The first attempt to list the elements only had about thirty entries. In fact, it was not even periodic, rather it was a single column list. It really is not surprising that new elements get added when they are found. For the past half century, all of the action there has actually been synthetic elements that have to be made in a lab. That having been said, they moved plutonium over to the list of natural elements a while back when they actually found some in the ground.

Also, there are roughly 50 variants of the one used in high schools, each used by a different specialty. As an amateur astronomer, I kind of like the one for astronomy. Hydrogen and helium are the primordial elements and everything else is a metal.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=